204Likes

post #96391 of 96405 Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
For the life of me, I can't see the reason why these TV's will have curved screens. Might be groovy for the one center seating position, but it would have to diminish the viewing angles to the sides. Is there some technical reason these sets have to be curved that I'm missing?
Nope, you haven't missed a thing. The curved sets are more expensive. The higher price, plus the marketing opportunity that comes with the novelty of the curve, are the primary reasons why they exist.

It's interesting to compare the "reasons" for a curved screen in the various marketing campaigns. There doesn't seem to be much agreement on what the actual advantage is.

Maybe because there isn't any? IMHO, of course.
Nayan likes this.

Every once in a while, completely inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #96392 of 96405 Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I'm still waiting for actual 4K content anywhere...
DrDon likes this.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #96393 of 96405 Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Sony 4K media player says it has over 200 titles.

Am i missing something ?

post #96394 of 96405 Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Anniversary time! One year ago yesterday (August 25, 2013), Keith Olbermann made his (triumphant??) return to the ESPN family of networks with his show, based out of NYC not Bristol, called, uh, trying to remember... Oh yes, Olbermann!

You can tell, he's a lot happier than dealing with the ruffians of the political world.

Last edited by humdinger70; Yesterday at 10:19 AM.
post #96395 of 96405 Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
The new OTA box is a very poor deal without lifetime option, it should be priced around $400 all-in. And they intentionally crippled it by leaving out Mini support.
I agree, if you want OTA just buy the Roamio Basic for $100 more - the monthly sub rate will be the same - and then you have a unit that can also do cable if needed and is capable of the the extra features that the OTA model seems to be lacking.

I don't understand how TiVo can charge the same monthly rate for the OTA when you are obviously not getting the same value/benefit as those with the full featured models.
post #96396 of 96405 Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
TV Sports/Business Notes
NFL Scores a Touchdown With Female Fans
Links with Marie Claire to promote revamped women's line
By AdWeek.com Staff - Aug. 25, 2013

Pop quiz: What was the most watched TV event among women in 2014? It was Super Bowl XLVIII, watched by an average of 44.9 million women.
Overall, they make up 46 percent of all NFL fans, and an average 63 percent of women 12 and older identify as fans.
Just think if it wasnt the most misogynistic sport out there (according to a poster whose nic begins with k ends with n) those #s would be even higher.

post #96397 of 96405 Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I agree, if you want OTA just buy the Roamio Basic for $100 more - the monthly sub rate will be the same - and then you have a unit that can also do cable if needed and is capable of the the extra features that the OTA model seems to be lacking.
Agreed. If it were a couple hundred more or so, I could see running the odds you won't need it and buy the Roamio later if you find you need it (especially if you're gonna be month to month instead of lifetime). But with the amount you end up paying for the service, $100 difference in the units is very little in comparison.

Maybe that's what TiVo is hoping....perhaps they're hoping you'll upgrade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I don't understand how TiVo can charge the same monthly rate for the OTA when you are obviously not getting the same value/benefit as those with the full featured models.
Agreed again, especially since you can get rudimentary guide data right off the OTA signal in most markets. You just need a device that can read it. It's not very far out, but far enough to catch your favorite shows before they air.

If someone is really looking to shave dollars, there are plenty of OTA tuner boxes that will also record and play back video. They definitely aren't TiVo, but they would save you around $175 a year in TiVo fees.

To be honest, if Roku or Amazon were to put out a streaming box that also had OTA tuner/recorder in it, I'd actually buy one. Granted, I have satellite so it would just be a backup/extra tuner, but still...
Keenan likes this.
post #96398 of 96405 Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Billy Bob Thornton missed out on visiting the podium for playing Lorne Malvo in Fargo, his first-ever TV role. Thornton won an Oscar for writing the screenplay for 1996's Sling Blade.
Apparently the writer was not aware that Thorton starred opposite John Ritter in a CBS show called "Hearts Afire". Markie Post also starred in the show. It was on for three seasons. That is where I became a fan of his work, at least his comedy work.
post #96399 of 96405 Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
Anniversary time! One year ago yesterday (August 25, 2013), Keith Olbermann made his (triumphant??) return to the ESPN family of networks with his show, based out of NYC not Bristol, called, uh, trying to remember... Oh yes, Olbermann!

You can tell, he's a lot happier than dealing with the ruffians of the political world.

If not for his Friday segments with Tony Bruno, I wouldn't watch one second of his show.
post #96400 of 96405 Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
TV Notes
Syfy's 'Lost Girl' Ending After Fifth Season
By Etan Vlessing, The Hollywood Reporter - Aug. 25, 2014

Syfy's Lost Girl will end after its upcoming fifth season, the NBCUniversal cable network and its Canadian home, Showcase, said Monday.

Canadian producer Prodigy Pictures told The Hollywood Reporter that Lost Girl will wrap internationally after its upcoming season, and Syfy confirmed the fifth season will be the last one stateside.

"It’s time for Bo's journey to come to an epic conclusion," Lost Girl star Anna Silk told Fae-natics, or die-hard fans of the series set in the world of Fae, in a YouTube message Monday.

The Canadian drama follows supernatural seductress Bo (Silk) as a succubus who feeds off sexual energy.

Showcase ordered 16 episodes for season five, to be split into two parts.

The first eight episodes will start airing on Showcase on December 7, with the second batch to air in fall 2015.

Syfy did not indicate when the fifth season will air on its network.

Lost Girl is executive produced by Jay Firestone, Vanessa Piazza and Michael Grassi. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...g-fifth-727540
At least they gave them enough notice to give it a proper ending. Plus sixteen episodes for the final season sounds pretty good to me. Hopefully the fifth and final season is better than the 4th. Something seemed to be missing from the 4th season that the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd seasons had.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #96401 of 96405 Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
TV Notes
Lifetime greenlights 'The Omen'-inspired horror series from ex-'Walking Dead' showrunner
By James Hibberd, EW.com's 'Inside TV' Blog - Aug. 25, 2014

Lifetime’s The Omen-inspired horror series is a go: The cable network has given a straight-to-series order to Damien, a modern-day drama based on Twentieth Century Fox’s The Omen horror franchise.

The Lifetime revamp is written and executive produced by former Walking Dead showrunner Glen Mazzara. The series will follow the adult life of Damien Thorn, “the mysterious child from the 1976 motion picture who has grown up, seemingly unaware of the satanic forces around him. Haunted by his past, Damien must now come to terms with his true destiny—that he is the Antichrist, the most feared man throughout the ages.”

“Glen Mazzara has re-imagined him as a dark, romantic, anti-hero and this fresh take blends complex characters with premium storytelling to make something truly original,” said Rob Sharenow, executive vice president and general manager of Lifetime.

Lifetime has ordered six initial episodes of Damien and expects to debut the series next year. Mazzara (The Shield) was the showrunner on AMC’s Walking Dead for seasons two and three. Ross Fineman (Lights Out), who developed the project alongside Mazzara, will also executive produce along with Pancho Mansfield. 

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/25/lifetime-damien/
WTH?!?! Lifetime?!? My GF likes to record a lot of shows from the two Lifetime channels that I have on FiOS. But she will certainly not watch this type of show.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; Yesterday at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling...doH!!!!
post #96402 of 96405 Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
For the life of me, I can't see the reason why these TV's will have curved screens. Might be groovy for the one center seating position, but it would have to diminish the viewing angles to the sides. Is there some technical reason these sets have to be curved that I'm missing?
If they were a lot larger I could understand, but not the smallish 65" and 77" sets mentioned.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; Yesterday at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling...doH!!!
post #96403 of 96405 Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post
Sony 4K media player says it has over 200 titles.

Am i missing something ?
You can only use it with a Sony UHD TV. You can't use it with another brand of UHD TV.

LED DLP

post #96404 of 96405 Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You can only use it with a Sony UHD TV. You can't use it with another brand of UHD TV.
OK....but the post said anywhere.

post #96405 of 96405 Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Which makes them no better than the cable company: gouging people who just want it easy.
Time + Convenience = Money
Money = Money

To be fair, there was a time in my life when I was ok with devoting hours upon hours of time and effort coming up with ways to "beat the man." Ultimately, I reached a point/age where I decided that the "rewards" just didn't merit the nearly "full time" effort. Life is too short.
Nayan likes this.
post #96406 of 96405 Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Is there some technical reason these sets have to be curved that I'm missing?
Apparently, because they can. I can't think of any legitimate reason for a curved panel ... particularly for emissive tech. OTOH, a "huge" front projection screen would benefit due to focus issues ... there's no "focus" issue for plasma, OLED, LCD panels.
post #96407 of 96405 Old Today, 02:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 169
MONDAY's fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings -and what they mean- have been posted on Analyst Marc Berman's Media Insight's Blog.
post #96408 of 96405 Old Today, 02:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Nielsen Overnights (18-49)
ABC and Fox shows hold up against Emmys
'Mistresses' and 'Hotel Hell' actually improve last week's ratings
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Aug. 26, 2013

Against strong competition from the Emmy Awards, ABC and Fox’s schedules held up quite well.

In fact, two of their programs even saw week-to-week gains despite the additional competition.

Fox’s “Hotel Hell” was up 7 percent among adults 18-49 to a 1.6 rating, according to Nielsen, finishing second in its 9 p.m. timeslot behind the Emmys.

ABC’s “Mistresses” grew 13 percent from last week, to a 0.9. Its lead-in, “Bachelor in Paradise,” averaged a 1.3 from 8 to 10 p.m., even to last week, though it has been gaining a tenth when final ratings come out.

Fox’s “MasterChef” was the night’s top non-Emmy program, posting a 2.0 at 8 p.m. That was also even to last week, meaning the Emmys really didn’t steal viewers from original shows.

CBS’s “Under the Dome” was the only original broadcast program to see a week-to-week dip, and it was only off a tenth, to a 1.4.

NBC was first for the night among 18-49s with a 3.8 average overnight rating and a 12 share. Fox was second at 1.8/6, ABC and Univision tied for third at 1.2/4, CBS was fifth at 1.1/3, Telemundo sixth at 0.7/2 and CW seventh at 0.4/1.

As a reminder, all ratings are based on live-plus-same-day DVR playback, which includes shows replayed before 3 a.m. the night before. Seven-day DVR data won’t be available for several weeks. Forty-nine percent of Nielsen households have DVRs.

Also, overnight ratings for the Emmys are not accurate due to time zone differences. Click here for a separate story on Emmy ratings.

At 8 p.m. NBC led with a 3.6 for the first hour of the Emmys, followed by Fox with a 2.0 for “MasterChef.” Univision was third with a 1.3 for “Mi Corazon es Tuyo,” ABC fourth with a 1.2 for “Paradise,” CBS fifth with a 1.0 for reruns of “2 Broke Girls” and “Mom,” and CW and Telemundo tied for sixth a t0.4, CW for reruns of “Whose Line Is It Anyway” and Telemundo for “Reina de Corazones.”

NBC was first again at 9 p.m. with a 4.0 for the Emmys, followed again by Fox with a 1.6 for “Hotel.” ABC and Univision tied for third at 1.3, ABC for more “Paradise” and Univision for “Hasta el fin del Mundo,” with CBS fifth with a 1.0 for repeats of “Mike & Molly” and “Two and a Half Men,” Telemundo sixth with a 0.7 for “En Otra Piel” and CW seventh with a 0.4 for an original “America’s Next Top Model.”

At 10 p.m. NBC finished first with a 3.7 for the Emmys, with CBS second with a 1.4 for “Dome.” Univision and Telemundo tied for third at 1.0, Univision for “La Malquerida” and Telemundo for “El Señor de los Cielos,” with ABC fifth with a 0.9 for “Mistresses.”

NBC also led the night among households with an 8.7 average overnight rating and a 15 share. CBS was second at 3.3/5, ABC third at 2.9/5, Fox fourth at 2.8/5, Univision fifth at 1.6/3, Telemundo sixth at 0.9/2 and CW seventh at 0.7/1.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/abc...ws-hold-emmys/

Nielsen Notes (Cable)
Cable overnights: ‘Love & Hip Hop’ stays strong
By Media Life Magazine Staff - Aug. 26, 2013

Like ABC and Fox, VH1’s programming held up pretty well Monday night against the Emmy awards on NBC.

VH1’s top show, “Love & Hip Hop Atlanta,” finished first on cable for the night, posting a 2.1 adults 18-49 rating, according to Nielsen. That was even to last week despite the additional competition from the awards program.

USA’s “WWE Raw” was the No. 1 program in total viewers, with 4.057 million.

FXX’s Every “Simpsons” Ever marathon continued to do well among adults 18-49, placing nine shows among the top 27.

Top 10 Cable Programs
Ranked on Total Viewers
August 25

# Program Net (000)
1 WWE ENTERTAINMENT-08/25/2014 USA 4057
2 WWE ENTERTAINMENT-08/25/2014 USA 4005
3 LOVE & HIP HOP ATLANTA 3-08/25/2014 VH1 3982
4 WWE ENTERTAINMENT-08/25/2014 USA 3859
5 THE OREILLY FACTOR-08/25/2014 FOXNC 2966
6 FAST N LOUD-08/25/2014 DISC 2692
7 KELLY FILE, THE-08/25/2014 FOXNC 2471
8 T.I. AND TINY 4-08/25/2014 VH1 2469