Forum Jump: 
 204Likes

post #96391 of 96419 Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Anniversary time! One year ago yesterday (August 25, 2013), Keith Olbermann made his (triumphant??) return to the ESPN family of networks with his show, based out of NYC not Bristol, called, uh, trying to remember... Oh yes, Olbermann!

You can tell, he's a lot happier than dealing with the ruffians of the political world.

Last edited by humdinger70; Yesterday at 10:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #96392 of 96419 Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
The new OTA box is a very poor deal without lifetime option, it should be priced around $400 all-in. And they intentionally crippled it by leaving out Mini support.
I agree, if you want OTA just buy the Roamio Basic for $100 more - the monthly sub rate will be the same - and then you have a unit that can also do cable if needed and is capable of the the extra features that the OTA model seems to be lacking.

I don't understand how TiVo can charge the same monthly rate for the OTA when you are obviously not getting the same value/benefit as those with the full featured models.
post #96393 of 96419 Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
TV Sports/Business Notes
NFL Scores a Touchdown With Female Fans
Links with Marie Claire to promote revamped women's line
By AdWeek.com Staff - Aug. 25, 2013

Pop quiz: What was the most watched TV event among women in 2014? It was Super Bowl XLVIII, watched by an average of 44.9 million women.
Overall, they make up 46 percent of all NFL fans, and an average 63 percent of women 12 and older identify as fans.
Just think if it wasnt the most misogynistic sport out there (according to a poster whose nic begins with k ends with n) those #s would be even higher.

post #96394 of 96419 Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I agree, if you want OTA just buy the Roamio Basic for $100 more - the monthly sub rate will be the same - and then you have a unit that can also do cable if needed and is capable of the the extra features that the OTA model seems to be lacking.
Agreed. If it were a couple hundred more or so, I could see running the odds you won't need it and buy the Roamio later if you find you need it (especially if you're gonna be month to month instead of lifetime). But with the amount you end up paying for the service, $100 difference in the units is very little in comparison.

Maybe that's what TiVo is hoping....perhaps they're hoping you'll upgrade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I don't understand how TiVo can charge the same monthly rate for the OTA when you are obviously not getting the same value/benefit as those with the full featured models.
Agreed again, especially since you can get rudimentary guide data right off the OTA signal in most markets. You just need a device that can read it. It's not very far out, but far enough to catch your favorite shows before they air.

If someone is really looking to shave dollars, there are plenty of OTA tuner boxes that will also record and play back video. They definitely aren't TiVo, but they would save you around $175 a year in TiVo fees.

To be honest, if Roku or Amazon were to put out a streaming box that also had OTA tuner/recorder in it, I'd actually buy one. Granted, I have satellite so it would just be a backup/extra tuner, but still...
Keenan likes this.
post #96395 of 96419 Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Billy Bob Thornton missed out on visiting the podium for playing Lorne Malvo in Fargo, his first-ever TV role. Thornton won an Oscar for writing the screenplay for 1996's Sling Blade.
Apparently the writer was not aware that Thorton starred opposite John Ritter in a CBS show called "Hearts Afire". Markie Post also starred in the show. It was on for three seasons. That is where I became a fan of his work, at least his comedy work.
post #96396 of 96419 Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
Anniversary time! One year ago yesterday (August 25, 2013), Keith Olbermann made his (triumphant??) return to the ESPN family of networks with his show, based out of NYC not Bristol, called, uh, trying to remember... Oh yes, Olbermann!

You can tell, he's a lot happier than dealing with the ruffians of the political world.

If not for his Friday segments with Tony Bruno, I wouldn't watch one second of his show.
post #96397 of 96419 Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
TV Notes
Syfy's 'Lost Girl' Ending After Fifth Season
By Etan Vlessing, The Hollywood Reporter - Aug. 25, 2014

Syfy's Lost Girl will end after its upcoming fifth season, the NBCUniversal cable network and its Canadian home, Showcase, said Monday.

Canadian producer Prodigy Pictures told The Hollywood Reporter that Lost Girl will wrap internationally after its upcoming season, and Syfy confirmed the fifth season will be the last one stateside.

"It’s time for Bo's journey to come to an epic conclusion," Lost Girl star Anna Silk told Fae-natics, or die-hard fans of the series set in the world of Fae, in a YouTube message Monday.

The Canadian drama follows supernatural seductress Bo (Silk) as a succubus who feeds off sexual energy.

Showcase ordered 16 episodes for season five, to be split into two parts.

The first eight episodes will start airing on Showcase on December 7, with the second batch to air in fall 2015.

Syfy did not indicate when the fifth season will air on its network.

Lost Girl is executive produced by Jay Firestone, Vanessa Piazza and Michael Grassi. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...g-fifth-727540
At least they gave them enough notice to give it a proper ending. Plus sixteen episodes for the final season sounds pretty good to me. Hopefully the fifth and final season is better than the 4th. Something seemed to be missing from the 4th season that the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd seasons had.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #96398 of 96419 Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
TV Notes
Lifetime greenlights 'The Omen'-inspired horror series from ex-'Walking Dead' showrunner
By James Hibberd, EW.com's 'Inside TV' Blog - Aug. 25, 2014

Lifetime’s The Omen-inspired horror series is a go: The cable network has given a straight-to-series order to Damien, a modern-day drama based on Twentieth Century Fox’s The Omen horror franchise.

The Lifetime revamp is written and executive produced by former Walking Dead showrunner Glen Mazzara. The series will follow the adult life of Damien Thorn, “the mysterious child from the 1976 motion picture who has grown up, seemingly unaware of the satanic forces around him. Haunted by his past, Damien must now come to terms with his true destiny—that he is the Antichrist, the most feared man throughout the ages.”

“Glen Mazzara has re-imagined him as a dark, romantic, anti-hero and this fresh take blends complex characters with premium storytelling to make something truly original,” said Rob Sharenow, executive vice president and general manager of Lifetime.

Lifetime has ordered six initial episodes of Damien and expects to debut the series next year. Mazzara (The Shield) was the showrunner on AMC’s Walking Dead for seasons two and three. Ross Fineman (Lights Out), who developed the project alongside Mazzara, will also executive produce along with Pancho Mansfield. 

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/25/lifetime-damien/
WTH?!?! Lifetime?!? My GF likes to record a lot of shows from the two Lifetime channels that I have on FiOS. But she will certainly not watch this type of show.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; Yesterday at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling...doH!!!!
post #96399 of 96419 Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
For the life of me, I can't see the reason why these TV's will have curved screens. Might be groovy for the one center seating position, but it would have to diminish the viewing angles to the sides. Is there some technical reason these sets have to be curved that I'm missing?
If they were a lot larger I could understand, but not the smallish 65" and 77" sets mentioned.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; Yesterday at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling...doH!!!
post #96400 of 96419 Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post
Sony 4K media player says it has over 200 titles.

Am i missing something ?
You can only use it with a Sony UHD TV. You can't use it with another brand of UHD TV.

LED DLP

post #96401 of 96419 Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You can only use it with a Sony UHD TV. You can't use it with another brand of UHD TV.
OK....but the post said anywhere.

post #96402 of 96419 Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Which makes them no better than the cable company: gouging people who just want it easy.
Time + Convenience = Money
Money = Money

To be fair, there was a time in my life when I was ok with devoting hours upon hours of time and effort coming up with ways to "beat the man." Ultimately, I reached a point/age where I decided that the "rewards" just didn't merit the nearly "full time" effort. Life is too short.
Nayan likes this.
post #96403 of 96419 Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Is there some technical reason these sets have to be curved that I'm missing?
Apparently, because they can. I can't think of any legitimate reason for a curved panel ... particularly for emissive tech. OTOH, a "huge" front projection screen would benefit due to focus issues ... there's no "focus" issue for plasma, OLED, LCD panels.
post #96404 of 96419 Old Today, 02:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 169
MONDAY's fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings -and what they mean- have been posted on Analyst Marc Berman's Media Insight's Blog.
post #96405 of 96419 Old Today, 02:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nielsen Overnights (18-49)
ABC and Fox shows hold up against Emmys
'Mistresses' and 'Hotel Hell' actually improve last week's ratings
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Aug. 26, 2013

Against strong competition from the Emmy Awards, ABC and Fox’s schedules held up quite well.

In fact, two of their programs even saw week-to-week gains despite the additional competition.

Fox’s “Hotel Hell” was up 7 percent among adults 18-49 to a 1.6 rating, according to Nielsen, finishing second in its 9 p.m. timeslot behind the Emmys.

ABC’s “Mistresses” grew 13 percent from last week, to a 0.9. Its lead-in, “Bachelor in Paradise,” averaged a 1.3 from 8 to 10 p.m., even to last week, though it has been gaining a tenth when final ratings come out.

Fox’s “MasterChef” was the night’s top non-Emmy program, posting a 2.0 at 8 p.m. That was also even to last week, meaning the Emmys really didn’t steal viewers from original shows.

CBS’s “Under the Dome” was the only original broadcast program to see a week-to-week dip, and it was only off a tenth, to a 1.4.

NBC was first for the night among 18-49s with a 3.8 average overnight rating and a 12 share. Fox was second at 1.8/6, ABC and Univision tied for third at 1.2/4, CBS was fifth at 1.1/3, Telemundo sixth at 0.7/2 and CW seventh at 0.4/1.

As a reminder, all ratings are based on live-plus-same-day DVR playback, which includes shows replayed before 3 a.m. the night before. Seven-day DVR data won’t be available for several weeks. Forty-nine percent of Nielsen households have DVRs.

Also, overnight ratings for the Emmys are not accurate due to time zone differences. Click here for a separate story on Emmy ratings.

At 8 p.m. NBC led with a 3.6 for the first hour of the Emmys, followed by Fox with a 2.0 for “MasterChef.” Univision was third with a 1.3 for “Mi Corazon es Tuyo,” ABC fourth with a 1.2 for “Paradise,” CBS fifth with a 1.0 for reruns of “2 Broke Girls” and “Mom,” and CW and Telemundo tied for sixth a t0.4, CW for reruns of “Whose Line Is It Anyway” and Telemundo for “Reina de Corazones.”

NBC was first again at 9 p.m. with a 4.0 for the Emmys, followed again by Fox with a 1.6 for “Hotel.” ABC and Univision tied for third at 1.3, ABC for more “Paradise” and Univision for “Hasta el fin del Mundo,” with CBS fifth with a 1.0 for repeats of “Mike & Molly” and “Two and a Half Men,” Telemundo sixth with a 0.7 for “En Otra Piel” and CW seventh with a 0.4 for an original “America’s Next Top Model.”

At 10 p.m. NBC finished first with a 3.7 for the Emmys, with CBS second with a 1.4 for “Dome.” Univision and Telemundo tied for third at 1.0, Univision for “La Malquerida” and Telemundo for “El Señor de los Cielos,” with ABC fifth with a 0.9 for “Mistresses.”

NBC also led the night among households with an 8.7 average overnight rating and a 15 share. CBS was second at 3.3/5, ABC third at 2.9/5, Fox fourth at 2.8/5, Univision fifth at 1.6/3, Telemundo sixth at 0.9/2 and CW seventh at 0.7/1.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/abc...ws-hold-emmys/

Nielsen Notes (Cable)
Cable overnights: ‘Love & Hip Hop’ stays strong
By Media Life Magazine Staff - Aug. 26, 2013

Like ABC and Fox, VH1’s programming held up pretty well Monday night against the Emmy awards on NBC.

VH1’s top show, “Love & Hip Hop Atlanta,” finished first on cable for the night, posting a 2.1 adults 18-49 rating, according to Nielsen. That was even to last week despite the additional competition from the awards program.

USA’s “WWE Raw” was the No. 1 program in total viewers, with 4.057 million.

FXX’s Every “Simpsons” Ever marathon continued to do well among adults 18-49, placing nine shows among the top 27.

Top 10 Cable Programs
Ranked on Total Viewers
August 25

# Program Net (000)
1 WWE ENTERTAINMENT-08/25/2014 USA 4057
2 WWE ENTERTAINMENT-08/25/2014 USA 4005
3 LOVE & HIP HOP ATLANTA 3-08/25/2014 VH1 3982
4 WWE ENTERTAINMENT-08/25/2014 USA 3859
5 THE OREILLY FACTOR-08/25/2014 FOXNC 2966
6 FAST N LOUD-08/25/2014 DISC 2692
7 KELLY FILE, THE-08/25/2014 FOXNC 2471
8 T.I. AND TINY 4-08/25/2014 VH1 2469
9 FIVE, THE-08/25/2014 FOXNC 2163
10 LOVE & HIP HOP ATLANTA 3-08/25/2014 VH1 2160
Source: Nielsen

Top 10 Cable Programs
Ranked on Adults 18-49
August 25

# Program Net (000)
1 LOVE & HIP HOP ATLANTA 3-08/25/2014 VH1 2691
2 WWE ENTERTAINMENT-08/25/2014 USA 1736
3 WWE ENTERTAINMENT-08/25/2014 USA 1685
4 FAST N LOUD-08/25/2014 DISC 1596
5 WWE ENTERTAINMENT-08/25/2014 USA 1570
6 T.I. AND TINY 4-08/25/2014 VH1 1558
7 BIG BANG THEORY, THE-08/25/2014 TBSC 1378
8 LOVE & HIP HOP ATLANTA 3-08/25/2014 VH1 1340
9 FAMILY GUY-08/25/2014 ADSM 1324
10 ATLANTA EXES-08/25/2014 VH1 1249
Source: Nielsen

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/cab...-stays-strong/
post #96406 of 96419 Old Today, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post
Sony 4K media player says it has over 200 titles.

Am i missing something ?
Quote:
Also, how many of those titles are of interest and how many have replay value. We now have hundreds of cable/satellite channels, yet more and more of them are becoming reality based that the amount has become irrelevant, at least to me, because of the mindless content. Then there is this...

While we were testing our latest batch of 2014 TVs, which includes several new Ultra HD sets, we found out something interesting: Despite having built-in HEVC decoders, not all TVs can play Netflix 4K videos.
Among the TVs that we've tested so far, models from LG Electronics, Samsung, and Sony have been able to play 4K videos from Netflix—basically, the second season of "House of Cards" and "Breaking Bad," plus a few movies. But a TV from another major brand—Panasonic's TC-58AX800U—was not able to play the Netflix 4K streams.

But what we learned is that Netflix has its own certification program that TV manufacturers must pass in order for their TVs to be able to receive Netflix 4K videos. According to Netflix, beyond a TV having an HEVC decoder, its certification program examines things such as picture quality (whether the 4K streams from a particular model look good enough) and whether the TV (and the HEVC chipset it uses) can support a wider gamut of colors. Some manufacturers may start selling TVs before the sets have passed the certification process. Once they do, the software can be updated to deliver 4K Netflix streams if the set passes, but if it's the chipset that is the problem, they may never be able to play Netflix 4K streams.

It's way to early for me to invest the kind of money they want for these large screen TVs and the limited content. I'll let this stuff work itself out and take another look in about 5 years.
post #96407 of 96419 Old Today, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
It's way to early for me to invest the kind of money they want for these large screen TVs and the limited content. I'll let this stuff work itself out and take another look in about 5 years.
My conclusion also. This tech is not yet ready for primetime, and that may indeed be around 5 years off.

That said, when it is, I'm on board. I've seen native 4K content on a compatible display (Samsung) and it is spectacular. I've never had much interest in consumer 3-D (wake me when they invent true holographic displays) and am frankly glad that fad is waning. But UHD is the real deal. It finally delivers the "window effect" that HDTV was supposed to provide, before it became watered down 16x9 SD because of over-compression and rate-shaping by content providers.

Of course, the providers will water down UHD too, but hopefully the result will be what HDTV was supposed to be. It's all relative.
post #96408 of 96419 Old Today, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

OK but again....the post said anywhere.

Cant believe nobody mentioned the Oby news.

post #96409 of 96419 Old Today, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nielsen Notes
Emmy Awards Attract 15.6 Million Viewers
By Tony Maglio, TheWrap.com - Aug. 26, 2013

Monday's Emmy Awards earned a 4.2 demo rating and 15.6 million total viewers, according to final Nielsen numbers.

It was the second-biggest audience for the Emmys in eight years, and it tied for the second-highest rating in the key 18-49 demographic in seven years.

The NBC telecast, hosted by Seth Meyers, was the most-watched night on any TV network since March's Academy Awards.

Those numbers come despite the obstacles of being on a Monday evening (for the first time since 1976) and taking place in August. Last year's September telecast earned 17.8 million viewers, and also had the advantage of a Sunday NFL lead-in on CBS.

In 2013, the Emmys scored a 4.9 in the key demo.

Here's a fun fact: Monday's Emmys topped the rest of the combined so-called “Big 4” competition in primetime, with a 4.2 rating edging the combined 4.1 of Fox (1.8), ABC (1.2) and CBS (1.1).

The 15.6 million in total viewers beat the combined total of 13.8 million for CBS (5.0 million), Fox (4.6 million) and ABC (4.2 million).

http://www.thewrap.com/emmy-awards-1...llion-viewers/
post #96410 of 96419 Old Today, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Full House Cast and Producers Mulling a Revival
By Michael Schneider, TVGuide.com - Aug. 26, 2013

EXCLUSIVE: Could a Full House return be in the works? The family sitcom, which aired on ABC from 1987 to 1995, is still a ratings juggernaut via repeats on Nick at Nite. Now Warner Bros. TV is mulling a new take on Full House, with some of the original cast intact.

Leading the charge is John Stamos (Uncle Jesse) — who has an ownership stake in the show, which gives him good reason to champion the new series. Original executive producer Bob Boyett and creator Jeff Franklin (who's writing the new version) are actively involved. Candace Cameron Bure (D.J.), Jodie Sweetin (Stephanie) and Andrea Barber (Kimmy) are on board, while Bob Saget (Danny) and Dave Coulier (Joey) are also involved in some way.

The cast has remained tight-knit and some of the actors have let it slip in the past that they'd like to see Full House return. Stamos, Coulier and Saget appeared in a yogurt commercial earlier this year, and also showed up on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon dressed as their Full House characters. Appearing on Bravo's Watch What Happens Live this past winter, Stamos hinted that a Full House revisit was being pondered: "We're sort of working on a twist on a sequel," he told host Andy Cohen. "But we don't know if it's going to happen yet or not." In 2009, Stamos also told the press that a Full House movie had been developed.

But another comedy from ABC's family-friendly "TGIF" lineup, Boy Meets World, was recently revived on Disney Channel as Girl Meets World. Such a revival would make perfect sense given the timeless popularity of Full House. According to Nick at Nite, repeats of the show in primetime average 1.5 million viewers, up 7 percent from last year. Episodes are also average a 0.4 rating in the key 18-49 demo, up 8 percent from a year ago. The show even has a healthy teen fan base, a demo that wasn't even born when the show ended.

Full House was routinely a Top 25 show during its original run, but ABC canceled it in 1995 as the sitcom became too expensive to continue and tastes changed. Staffers offered to cut their pay in order to keep the show going, but to no avail.

Insiders say the studio pitched a Full House revival last year that would have been set up like FX's Anger Management, in which the network that airs it must pick up a 90-episode slate (produced at an accelerated pace) if the initial 10 episodes hit a certain rating. Ultimately that idea didn't pan out, but as new generations continue to discover Full House, there's no doubt a reboot would generate loads of interest.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Full-Hou...l-1086245.aspx
post #96411 of 96419 Old Today, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nielsen Notes (Cable)
TNT’s ‘The Last Ship’ Finale Steady; ‘Falling Skies’ Penultimate Episode Tumbles From Last Year
By Dominic Patten, Deadline.com - Aug. 26, 2013

On a packed Sunday night that saw the MTV VMAs take the stage, a NFL preseason game on NBC and the series finale of HBO‘s True Blood, TNT certainly had some wind in its freshman sails. Ending its run as the top new series of the year so far and looking to secure TNT the top summer spot among basic cable networks, The Last Ship pulled in 4.4 million viewers for its 9 PM August 24 finale. Compared with what was going on at HBO, the dystopia-in-action drama beat the finale of the long-running True Blood by 10% in total viewers. While down 17% from the Michael Bay-produced show’s blockbuster June 22 debut, the season finale of the recently renewed series was up 6% from its August 17 show for its fourth-best result of Season 1. Over all its Sunday plays, Last Ship had 5.6 million total viewers, with 2.1 million adults 25-54 and 1.7 million 18-49s.

Last Ship’s lead-out Falling Skies also got a bit of a lift for its penultimate week. With the Steven Spielberg-produced alien-invasion series set to wrap its fourth season with a two-hour finale on August 31, this week’s FS had 2.56 million viewers. That’s basically steady with Falling Skies’ August 17 show. Season-to-season, the August 24 episode of Falling Skies was down 17% from the comparable July 28 broadcast of last year. With its midnight play, the first part of the FS season finale had a total of 3.4 million viewers, with 1.5 million in the 25-54s and 1.2 million among the 18-49s. Like The Last Ship, Falling Skies will also be back. TNT picked up the show for a fifth and final season on July 18.

http://deadline.com/2014/08/the-last...es-tnt-825110/
post #96412 of 96419 Old Today, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Keith Olbermann to switch ESPN2 timeslots, return to 'SportsCenter'
By Teresa Jue, EW.com's 'Inside TV' Blog - Aug. 26, 2013

Keith Olbermann had some big news on the first anniversary of his ESPN2 show, Olbermann.

Starting on Sept.8, Olbermann’s timeslot will shift from 11 p.m. ET to 5 p.m. ET, and switch from a hourlong format to a half-hour-long format, freeing up time for the commentator to host segments of ESPN’s SportsCenter. Olbermann previously hosted SportsCenter from 1992 until 1997, when he left under contentious circumstances with ESPN.

Keith Olbermann ✔ @keitho lbermann
Follow
VIDEO: The announcement - we're moving to 5 pm as of 9/8, and I'll be doing some SportsCenters too #BigShowRedux
http://j.mp/1tBGqcr

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/27/ke...-sportscenter/
post #96413 of 96419 Old Today, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
TV Notes
Full House Cast and Producers Mulling a Revival
By Michael Schneider, TVGuide.com - Aug. 26, 2013
I was never a fan of the show when it originally aired. I was in college, so it probably wasn't hip enough for me. But my two young daughters (7 and 9) absolutely love this show now. I'm sure they'd be all for a revival.
post #96414 of 96419 Old Today, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
WEDNESDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)

ABC:
8PM - The Middle
(R - May 7)
8:30PM - The Goldbergs
(R - Mar. 18)
9PM - Modern Family
(R - Nov. 13)
9:31PM - Modern Family
(R - Nov. 20)
10PM - Motive (Season Finale)
11:35PM - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Jennifer Aniston; chef Adam Perry Lang; Bob Mould performs)
12:37AM - Nightline

CBS:
8PM - Big Brother
9PM - Extant
10PM - Extant
11:35PM - Late Show with David Letterman (James McAvoy; sportscaster Chris "Mad Dog" Russo; The Last Internationale performs)
12:37AM - Late Show with Craig Ferguson (Maria Bello; animal expert Bradley Trevor Greive)
(R - Jun. 20)

NBC:
8PM - America's Got Talent: Cutdown
9PM - America's Got Talent: Results (LIVE)
10PM - Taxi Brooklyn
11:34PM - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Chris Rock; New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R); Kacey Musgraves performs)
(R - Jul. 12)
12:36AM - Late Night with Seth Meyers (TV host Carson Daly; illusionists Penn & Teller; Christina Perri performs)
(R - Jul. 28)
1:37AM - Last Call with Carson Daly (News correspondent Tamron Hall; Warm Soda performs; music group Birth of Joy)
(R - Apr. 2)

FOX:
8PM - So You Think You Can Dance (120 min.)

PBS:
(check your local listing for starting time/programming)
8PM - Earthflight, A Nature Special Presentation: North America (Dec. 29, 2011)
9PM - NOVA: Why Sharks Attack
(R - May 7)
10PM - Operation Maneater: Great White Shark (Series Premiere)

UNIVISION:
8PM - Mi Corazón Es Tuyo
9PM - Hasta El Final del Mundo
10PM - La Malquerida

THE CW:
8PM - Penn & Teller: Fool Us
9PM - The 100
(R - May 21)

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - Reina De Corazones
9PM - En Otra Piel
10PM - El Señor de los Cielos

COMEDY CENTRAL:
11PM - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Hassan Abbas)
11:31PM - The Colbert Report (Michael Sheen)
12:01AM - At Midnight (Jimmy Pardo; Janet Varney; April Richardson)
12:31AM - The Meltdown

TBS:
11PM - Conan (Kevin Hart; Rhona Mitra; Atmosphere performs)
(R - Jun. 19)
post #96415 of 96419 Old Today, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Critic's Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Aug. 27, 2014

THE SIMPSONS MARATHON
FXX, Check Local Listings

Two “Treehouse” treats. At 11:30 a.m. ET, there’s “Treehouse of Horror XIII” from Season 14, the 2002 episode including the Island of Dr. Moreau takeoff with half-animal versions of the entire Simpsons clan. Then, at 10:30 p.m. ET, there’s 2003’s “Treehouse of Terror XIV,” which includes another mad scientist segment – this time Professor Frink, the thick-glasses, frantic-Jerry Lewis-talking, lab-coat-wearing oddball who, in this piece, attempts to bring his late father back to life. And guess who provides the voice of the elder Frink? The real Jerry Lewis. Oh, and speaking of “Treehouse of Horror,” I have an actual scoop: Last week I was on Radio Times, a wonderful local Philadelphia radio show hosted by Marty Moss-Coane, with Simpsons writer-producer Michael Price, and I asked him about this year’s upcoming “Treehouse.” One segment concept he revealed: a version of A Clockwork Orange, with Homer and his pals playing overage droogies. Sounds positively, and in this case literally, horrorshow…

SIDEWAYS
Sundance, 7:15 p.m. ET

Before directing 2013’s Nebraska and 2011’s The Descendants (set, respectively, in a black-and-white heartland and a deceptively sunny Hawaii), Alexander Payne directed and co-wrote this 2004 twisted road tour of the California wine country. Paul Giamatti was in peak form as a depressed man who accompanies a buddy (Thomas Haden Church) about to be married on a last-adventure trip to some local wineries, and Virginia Madsen and Sandra Oh are equally credible, touching, and unpredictable as the women they encounter along the way. Sideways feels more like a Seventies movie than a modern one – and I mean that as the highest sort of compliment.

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE
Fox, 8:00 p.m. ET

It’s getting down to it. Tonight the four finalists – Valerie Rockey, Ricky Udeba, Zack Everhart and Jessica Richens – dance with paired guest partners, and alone, to try and earn enough viewer votes to win next week. And believe me: At this level of this particular competition, the stage is filled with nothing but talent, so opting for a winner could make the Emmy Best Dramatic Actor in a Series race look like an easy call.

EXTANT
CBS, 9:00 p.m.

Two more episodes are shown back-to-back tonight, as CBS rushes to finish off this show’s summer run before the rollout of new fall shows. Tonight, Molly’s “son” is around, and learning, and growing – and that sentence may refer to more than just her robot “offspring.”

THE DIVIDE
WeTV, 10:00 p.m. ET
SEASON FINALE:
For now, let’s just call tonight’s episode the season finale – though the story’s far from finished, yet the series might be. But give WE TV credit, at any rate, for trying. The Divide was an eminently watchable program from that network, which might well be its first.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/
post #96416 of 96419 Old Today, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TUESDAY's fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings -and what they mean- have been posted on Analyst Marc Berman's Media Insight's Blog.
post #96417 of 96419 Old Today, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nielsen Overnights (18-49)
NBC wins Tuesday with growing reality shows
'America's Got Talent' rises 5 percent over last week, to a 2.1 in 18-49s
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Aug. 27, 2013

Tuesdays are a night of sparse original content on broadcast, with Fox and CBS in repeats. As usual, NBC won the night, with slight ratings gains over last week.

“America’s Got Talent” was the night’s top show with a 2.1 adults 18-49 rating from 9 to 11 p.m., according to Nielsen overnights. That was up a tenth, or 5 percent, over last week.

At 8 p.m., lead-in “Food Fighters” rose a tenth from the previous week, posting a 1.1.

Meanwhile, on ABC, a special edition of “Bachelor in Paradise,” which usually runs Monday, averaged a 1.3 from 8 to 10 p.m., matching its rating from the previous night.

NBC was first for the night among 18-49s with a 1.8 average overnight rating and a 6 share. ABC and Univision tied for second at 1.2/4, CBS was fourth at 0.8/3, Telemundo fifth at 0.7/2, Fox sixth at 0.6/2 and CW seventh at 0.2/1.

As a reminder, all ratings are based on live-plus-same-day DVR playback, which includes shows replayed before 3 a.m. the night before. Seven-day DVR data won’t be available for several weeks. Forty-nine percent of Nielsen households have DVRs.

ABC began the night in the lead with a 1.4 at 8 p.m. for “Paradise,” followed by Univision with a 1.2 for “Mi Corazon es Tuyo.” NBC was third with a 1.1 for “Fighters,” CBS fourth with a 1.0 for a repeat of “NCIS,” Fox fifth with a 0.6 for reruns of “Family Guy” and “Brooklyn Nine-Nine,” Telemundo sixth with a 0.4 for “Reina de Corazones” and CW seventh with a 0.2 for the “iHeartRadio Album Release Party with Maroon 5.”

NBC took the lead at 9 p.m. with a 2.2 for “Talent,” while ABC and Univision tied for second at 1.3, ABC for more “Paradise” and Univision for “Hasta el Fin del Mundo.” CBS was fourth with a 0.9 for a repeat of “NCIS: Los Angeles,” Telemundo fifth with a 0.6 for “En Otra Piel,” Fox sixth with a 0.5 for reruns of “New Gil” and “The Mindy Project,” and CW seventh with a 0.2 for a “Supernatural” rerun.

At 10 p.m. NBC was first again with a 2.0 for more “Talent,” with Univision and Telemundo tied for second at 1.0, Univision for “La Malquerida” and Telemundo for “El Señor de los Cielos.” ABC was fourth with a 0.8 for “20/20″ and CBS fifth with a 0.7 for a repeat of “Person of Interest.”

NBC also finished first for the night among households with a 4.7 average overnight rating and an 8 share. CBS was second at 4.5/8, ABC third at 3.1/5, Univision fourth at 1.5/3, Fox fifth at 1.0/2, Telemundo sixth at 0.9/2, and CW seventh at 0.4/1.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/nbc...reality-shows/

TV Notes
A consolation trophy for Minnie Driver
She didn't win an Emmy but she does get to trace her family roots
By Louisa Ada Seltzer, Media Life Magazine - Aug. 27, 2013

Best actress in a movie nominee Minnie Driver came away from Monday night’s Emmy ceremony empty-handed, but she gets a prize of another sort tonight on TLC.

Driver appears on the season finale of “Who Do You Think You Are?” at 9 p.m., becoming the latest celebrity to trace her family roots.

The stars who appear on the show usually have big gaps of knowledge about their family trees, and Driver is no exception. The British actress knows very little about her father’s side of the family.

In fact, she sees a picture of her paternal grandmother for the very first time on the program, as she learns more about her father’s service in World War II.

The Driver episode wraps up the fifth season of “Who,” which is executive produced by former “Friends” star Lisa Kudrow. The program originally aired on NBC, but migrated to cable a few years ago.

“Who” isn’t a ratings powerhouse but it draws decent numbers. Last week’s episode averaged 1.547 million total viewers and 563,000 adults 18-49, according to Nielsen, easily TLC’s top program of the day.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/big...wednesday-win/
post #96418 of 96419 Old Today, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Hulu Acquires ‘Party Down,’ Will Stream Entire Series
By Laura Prudom, Variety.com - Aug. 27, 2014

Hulu has acquired exclusive streaming rights to Starz’s cult comedy “Party Down,” it was announced Wednesday.

From Friday, August 29, every episode of “Party Down” will be made available on Hulu Plus, while the first five episodes will be available for a limited time on Hulu.com, which is free and ad-supported for non-subscribers.

“Party Down” premiered on Starz in 2009, and features an enviable ensemble of actors, including Adam Scott, Lizzy Caplan, Jane Lynch, Ken Marino, Ryan Hansen, Martin Starr and Megan Mullally. The show was created by “Veronica Mars” mastermind Rob Thomas and follows the story of a group of Hollywood acting wannabes who make ends meet by working for a Los Angeles catering company.

“Hulu is a top destination for great, cult comedies, which is why ‘Party Down’ is the perfect addition to the Hulu library. We know our viewers will enjoy watching some of their favorite actors showcasing their comedy chops in this hilarious show,” said Lisa Holme, Director of Content Acquisition at Hulu.

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news...es-1201291861/
post #96419 of 96419 Old Today, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
If they were a lot larger I could understand, but not the smallish 65" and 77" sets mentioned.
Yeah it's just one of those new things that everyone is competing with. As a design for massive theater screens it makes sense. Multiple people can share the benefits of having the entirety of their peripheral vision filled.

Nobody wants to be the only brand on the block without proving they can be as bendy as the rest. I expect it will fizzle out next year when someone introduces a screen that be translucent when switched off and wake you up when you fall asleep in the middle of a show and drift out of your assigned spot on the couch and your snoring annoys your partner.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page