Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
TV Review
‘Forever,’ actually, probably not
http://www.medialifemagazine.com/for...-probably-not/
Since when is 200 years "Forever"? And would someone really learn all that much in 200 years? Some might, most wouldn't. If he was 2,000 years old or more, you might be able to say forever and that he knew pretty much everything to do with death and murder.

When it comes to shows like this that are hyped so much, the question is not whether it is that good, it is what is so bad about this show it needs so much hype. Unlike the writer of the article, I doubt this show will even make it thru the whole season. More than likely it will be gone before Thanksgiving.

Selfie (ABC), Cristela (ABC), Black-ish (ABC), Bad Judge (NBC), A to Z (NBC), and Stalker (CBS) seem to be prime candidates for early departures also. Even though receiving critics' blessings, I don't get the appeal of Red Band Society (FOX). I watched the premiere. The kids are just too healthy to be confined to a hospital (even though some of them have serious medical conditions), having school classes there (really--hospitals provide education services for patients?), and just getting into all sorts of hijinks that the doctors and nurses just wink and snicker at (kids beings kids, underage beer drinking, partying the night before your surgery, HA HA).

5 MAGNAVOX 2160 & 7 PHILIPS 3576 OTA
TWC ROADRUNNER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #96932 of 96937 Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreedelp View Post
Since when is 200 years "Forever"?
...since the show is being produced for a US audience. Remember that the US has been around for < 300 years, so most Americans think that 200 years is "a lot of history" and have no concept of the time scales used elsewhere in the world where historic sites have been around for thousands of years.
post #96933 of 96937 Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I doubt [Forever] will even make it thru the whole season. More than likely it will be gone before Thanksgiving.

Selfie (ABC), Cristela (ABC), Black-ish (ABC), Bad Judge (NBC), A to Z (NBC), and Stalker (CBS) seem to be prime candidates for early departures also. Even though receiving critics' blessings, I don't get the appeal of Red Band Society (FOX). I watched the premiere.
You have higher expectations for the survival of "Manhattan Love Story" and "Mulaney"?
post #96934 of 96937 Old Today, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Even though receiving critics' blessings, I don't get the appeal of Red Band Society (FOX). I watched the premiere. The kids are just too healthy to be confined to a hospital (even though some of them have serious medical conditions), having school classes there (really--hospitals provide education services for patients?), and just getting into all sorts of hijinks that the doctors and nurses just wink and snicker at (kids beings kids, underage beer drinking, partying the night before your surgery, HA HA).
I watched the premiere on VOD earlier today and it felt somewhat like M*A*S*H from the patients' POV and with far younger patients. I'll give it another episode and see what develops, though I am sure I am the wrong demographic. (Being the wrong demographic doesn't stop me from enjoying Ferris Bueller's Day Off.)

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #96935 of 96937 Old Today, 01:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 170
TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
MONDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)

ABC:
8PM - Dancing With the Stars (LIVE, 120 min.)
10:01PM - Forever (Series Premiere)
11:35PM - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Courteney Cox; John Cho; Jason Aldean performs)
12:37AM - Nightline

CBS:
8PM - The Big Bang Theory (Season & Time Slot Premiere)
8:30PM - The Big Bang Theory
9PM - Scorpion (Series Premiere)
10PM - Under the Dome (Season Finale)
11:35AM - Late Show with David Letterman (Mark Harmon; animal expert Jack Hanna)
12:37AM - The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (Bill Hader; Scott Bakula)

NBC:
8PM - The Voice (Season Premiere, 120 min.)
10PM - The Blacklist (Season Premiere)
11:34PM - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Sofia Vergara; Megan Boone; The Black Keys perform)
12:36AM - Late Night with Seth Meyers (Martha Stewart; Ana Gasteyer)
1:37AM - Last Call with Carson Daly (Season Premiere; comic Jim Jefferies; electronic artist Porter Robinson; director Ned Benson)

FOX:
8PM - Gotham (Series Premiere)
9PM - Sleepy Hollow (Season Premiere)

PBS:
(check your local listing for starting time/programming)
8PM - Antiques Roadshow: Knoxville
9PM - Antiques Roadshow: Boston
(R - Feb. 11)
10PM - POV: Koch (90 min.)

UNIVISION:
8PM - Mi Corazón Es Tuyo
9PM - Hasta El Fin del Mundo
10PM - La Malquerida

THE CW:
8PM - Whose Line Is It Anyway?
(R - May 16)
8:30PM - Whose Line Is It Anyway?
(R - Mar. 21)
9PM - America's Next Top Model

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - Reina de Corazones
9PM - En Otra Piel
10PM - El Señor de Los Cielos

COMEDY CENTRAL:
11PM - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Author Jenny Nordberg)
11:31PM - The Colbert Report (Musician Tweedy)
12:01AM - At Midnight (Todd Barry; Jesse Joyce; Marina Franklin)

TBS:
11PM - Conan (Zooey Deschanel; Breckin Meyer; Beck performs)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #96936 of 96937 Old Today, 01:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Review
‘Scorpion’ (CBS)
By Brian Lowry, Variety.com - Sep. 19, 2014

Given the fortune CBS is spending on license fees for “The Big Bang Theory,” the network can be forgiven for trying to expand the show’s geek-chic vibe to its procedural-drama wheelhouse. So while “Scorpion” might boast factual inspiration (a true nerdy computer prodigy!), one needn’t be a genius to see this for what it is: an effort to create a hybrid version of “Mission: Impossible” and Sherlock Holmes with a team of brainy problem-solvers. Provided “the full resources of the U.S. government” to thwart appropriately ornate crimes, the participants in this mildy fun yet wholly disposable exercise would be wise not to dwell on calculating their chances of network survival.

Team leader Walter O’Brien (Elyes Gabel) is introduced as a child, albeit one who brings the authorities descending onto his pastoral home by hacking into NASA.

Flash forward, and he’s put together a group of like-minded folk with genius IQs and the expected tics, including one dubbed a “human calculator.” This would be a handier skill in a pinch, frankly, if everyone didn’t already have an actual calculator on their mobile phones.

Walter and company are soon drafted into service by FBI agent Cabe Gallo (Robert Patrick), a grizzled veteran trying to prevent a plot that will cause airplanes to begin dropping from the sky. In essence, the assignment morphs “It Takes a Thief” into “It Takes a Hacker,” producing one genuinely cool stunt that involves a low-altitude plane , and leads to the retention of the gang as a strategic response team — Homeland Security’s inhouse think tank (hardly a spoiler, since there would be no series otherwise).

The pilot also brings in what amounts to a set of ordinary eyes to marvel at Walter and company — Paige (Katharine McPhee), the single mom of a gifted son whose impenetrable brilliance has been misdiagnosed before Walter meets him. There’s an element of sweetness in that, offset slightly by its inherent manipulativeness and familiarity.

In terms of scheduling strategy, “Scorpion” moves into an hour where CBS’ comedies had been fading, but it still looks like a tall order for the show to gain much of a ratings toehold there. And while there’s something to be said for the brilliant inheriting the Earth, the series feels a little soft for a network with so many chalk-outline hours.

Then again, as one member of the group says during a tension-filled moment, quoting Han Solo to C3PO (naturally), “Never tell me the odds!”

'Scorpion'
CBS, Mon. Sept. 22, 9 p.m.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/reviews/t...on-1201304983/

post #96937 of 96937 Old Today, 01:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Sports/Business Notes
Backlash building? P&G pulls out of NFL promotion
By Media Life Magazine Staff - Sep. 21, 2014

Several NFL sponsors have voiced displeasure with the league over the recent spate of players arrested for domestic violence and the way the league has dealt with it.

Now one has decided to do more than just wag a finger.

Procter & Gamble has canceled an annual NFL promotion for its toothpaste brand, Crest, tied to breast cancer awareness month, which takes place every October.

The plan was to get a player from each team to wear a pink mouth guard during games and reach out to people on social media.

The NFL still plans to institute the mouth guards and social media elements but will do so without sponsorship from P&G, according to a statement released Friday.

“We are looking forward to our sixth year of the Crucial Catch campaign, in partnership with the American Cancer Society. We understand the ways the last week have impacted our partners, including Crest. Players will still have the option to wear pink gear, including mouth guards, as planned, this year,” the league said in a statement.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/bac...nfl-promotion/

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page