post #96961 of 96973 Old Today, 06:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
So, how did "Madam Secretary" did on its Sunday premiere?

SUNDAY's fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings -and what they mean- have been posted on Analyst Marc Berman's Media Insights' Blog.
This is one person that won't be watching it now. I had planned on watching the second airing of the pilot. But they changed the schedule and never showed it here. I had the recording padded to make sure I caught it with the NFL overrun. But since they didn't show what was originally scheduled, I can at least scratch this show off my list.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #96962 of 96973 Old Today, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
This is one person that won't be watching it now. I had planned on watching the second airing of the pilot. But they changed the schedule and never showed it here. I had the recording padded to make sure I caught it with the NFL overrun. But since they didn't show what was originally scheduled, I can at least scratch this show off my list.
You're not going to watch the show because of the NFL overrun issue?
post #96963 of 96973 Old Today, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
We had the exact same thing happen here. We found it for free on Apple tv.
post #96964 of 96973 Old Today, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 98
It only did a 2.0 even with the huge NFL/60 Mins leadin -- will see how much it falls next week without all the help.

post #96965 of 96973 Old Today, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
The 2014/15 Season
Networks' need for hit sitcoms is no laughing matter
By Yvonne Villareal and Meg James, Los Angeles Times' 'Company Town' Blog - Sep. 22, 2014

There's a backstage drama happening this fall on TV, and it's all about comedy.

The major networks are in a sitcom slump, unable to generate the kind of magic found in shows like "Seinfeld," "Friends" and "The Big Bang Theory."

Of the 21 new comedies last year, just five are set to return this fall. Only 14 of the 82 prime-time comedies unleashed since 2009 are on the air.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...ry.html#page=1
I'm not sure why this is a problem.

TV genres ebb and flow over the decades - and even season to season. The fact that people aren't tuning in to sitcoms just means the networks have to pursue other forms of entertainment.

The fact is, every form of TV eventually falls into a rut where there's too much of the same thing and people simply don't tune in to it.

It's happened with Westerns, Variety Shows, Soap Operas, Game Shows, Sci-Fi and quite a few other categories. Even reality TV fell off for a while when people got sick of the glut of it on the broadcast networks. Now it's picking up again on cable, while the shows on broadcast still flounder. The 50's and 60's produced a ton of Westerns and Variety Shows. The 70's was all over gritty dramas offset by comedies and sci-fi shows. In the 80's, it was all about family action dramas and night time soaps. The 90's produced gritty police procedurals and hospital dramas, mixed with major comedy hits. The 2000's saw the rebirth of the game show, which led to the competition show boom. Now it's back to police, hospital and lawyer procedurals.

The fact is, I don't see why comedies are any more vital to TV than any other type of show. If people want them, they'll watch them. Otherwise, why force something on people that obviously isn't what they want to see?
slowbiscuit, Nayan and Mark12547 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NetworkTV; Today at 09:50 AM.
post #96966 of 96973 Old Today, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
TV Notes
Woman Implants Third Breast in Hopes of MTV Reality Show
By The Hollywood Reporter Staff - Sep. 22, 2014
Guess you would tip 2 $1 bills at the stripclub then.
Nayan likes this.

post #96967 of 96973 Old Today, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Critic's Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Sep. 23, 2014

NCIS
CBS, 8:00 p.m.
SEASON PREMIERE:
Next year it will be 20 years since NBC premiered JAG, a drama about lawyers working in the Navy. NBC canceled that show after one season, but CBS picked it up, and watched it develop into a hit series that ran for a decade. And in the interim, in 2003, CBS launched a spinoff series, called NCIS, which now is the most popular drama series on television, and has launched several spinoffs of its own. (Basically, NCIS is to NBC what The Beatles are to Pete Best.) And tonight, on the same evening NCIS launches its latest spinoff, NCIS: New Orleans, it also presents the season premiere of its own series. Season premiere number 12.

MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.
ABC, 9:00 p.m.
SEASON PREMIERE:
Two different drama series, on two different networks, begin their new seasons tonight with plots that are remarkably similar: In order to survive, and combat the bad guys, a team of heroes goes underground, adopting new identities to evade detection while planning their next moves against the evil forces amassed against them. On this series, Agent Coulson (Clark Gregg), already revived from the dead at the start of this series, has to exercise his talents for rebirth once again, as he gathers what’s left of S.H.I.E.L.D. and recruits new faces as well. This allows for some new recurring guest stars, including – ready? – Lucy Lawless, who shows up tonight as a trusted former colleague of Coulson’s, and who is a great get for any series, genre or otherwise.

NCIS: NEW ORLEANS
CBS, 9:00 p.m. ET
SERIES PREMIERE:
This new CBS series was presented initially as a back-door pilot (with Scott Bakula, the star of New Orleans, established as a Southern NCIS cohort in a regular episode of NCIS, opposite flagship series star Mark Harmon). Now the baby bird flies from tne nest and goes out on its own. Will it soar in the ratings? No question, really. If there’s any show this season that’s guaranteed to succeed, NCIS: New Orleans is it.

PERSON OF INTEREST
CBS, 10:00 p.m. ET
SEASON PREMIERE:
Two different drama series, on two different networks, begin their new seasons tonight with plots that are remarkably similar: In order to survive, and combat the bad guys, a team of heroes goes underground, adopting new identities to evade detection while planning their next moves against the evil forces amassed against them. On this series, Finch (Michael Emerson) and his team have to separate, and assume alter egos, so that the evil new supercomputer, Samaritan, can’t track them down. That makes the new super-surveillance machine a Bad Samaritan – and this new season a basic reboot of the series premise. Instead of working for such an artificial intelligence, this gang is now working against one.

SONS OF ANARCHY
FX, 10:00 p.m. ET

To say that, in this show’s final season, it’s gone to the dark side is a bit of an understatement. Jax (Charlie Hunnam) has gone from being tortured (agonizing over the death of his wife) to being torturer (brutalizing and killing the man he was told was responsible). And since he acted on bad information, from his own murderous mother (Katey Sagal), things are setting up for one nasty Freudian climax: a veritable case of Oedipus wrecks.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/

post #96968 of 96973 Old Today, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So, how did "Scorpion," "Forever" and "Gotham" did during their Monday debuts?

MONDAY's fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings -and what they mean- have been posted on Analyst Marc Berman's Media Insights' Blog.

post #96969 of 96973 Old Today, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nielsen Overnights (18-49)
NBC wins first night of the new season
Wiggles past CBS with a 3.7 in 18-49s. 'Blacklist' draws a 3.4.
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Sep. 23, 2014

NBC kept its edge on Monday night, but CBS and Fox also had something to be happy about.

NBC’s combination of “The Voice” and “The Blacklist,” which dominated Mondays last season, stayed strong, lifting the network to first on the opening night of the new TV season.

NBC averaged a 3.7 adults 18-49 rating and 11 share in primetime, according to Nielsen, with CBS right behind with a 3.5/10.

NBC’s season premiere of “Voice” averaged a 3.9 from 8 to 10 p.m., its best rating since March though down 24 percent from last fall’s premiere (5.1).

Lead-out “The Blacklist” dominated its timeslot with a 3.4 at 10 p.m., the show’s second-best rating ever and behind only last year’s series premiere, which posted a 3.8.

CBS had the top show of the night, “The Big Bang Theory,” which averaged a 5.3 at 8 p.m. for back-to-back episodes. That was also down from a 5.7 for last year’s one-hour bow, though this year the show moved from Thursday to Monday.

“Bang” lifted lead-out “Scorpion,” a new drama, to a good premiere, posting a 3.3 and becoming the top-rated new show this season. It improved on last year’s CBS timeslot rating by 22 percent.

It was just ahead of Fox’s “Gotham,” which also got off to a strong beginning, drawing a 3.2 at 8 p.m. The show rose slightly (from a 3.1 to a 3.2) in its second half hour, always a good sign.

It marked Fox’s highest-rated 8 p.m. fall series premiere since “Prison Break” in 2005.

Lead-out “Sleepy Hollow” did not do as well. Last fall’s surprise success posted a 2.0 at 8 p.m., off 35 percent from a 3.1 the same week last year.

ABC, meanwhile, posted a 2.0 for “Dancing with the Stars,” down 17 percent from last week. And lead-out “Forever,” airing a special sneak peek at 10 p.m. before moving to Tuesdays, drew a 1.5.

Lifted by “Gotham,” Fox finished third on the night at 2.6/7, ABC fourth at 1.8/5, Univision fifth at 1.2/3, Telemundo sixth at 0.9/2 and CW seventh at 0.3/1.

As a reminder, all ratings are based on live-plus-same-day DVR playback, which includes shows replayed before 3 a.m. the night before. Seven-day DVR data won’t be available for several weeks. Forty-nine percent of Nielsen households have DVRs.

CBS started the night in the lead with a 5.3 at 8 p.m. for “Bang,” followed by NBC with a 3.5 for “Voice.” Fox was third with a 3.2 for “Gotham,” ABC fourth with a 1.8 for “Stars,” Univision fifth with a 1.4 for “Mi Corazon es Tuyo,” Telemundo sixth with a 0.6 for “Reina de Corazones” and CW seventh with a 0.3 for reruns of “Whose Line Is It Anyway.”

NBC moved to first at 9 p.m. with a 4.3 for more “Voice,” while CBS slipped to second with a 3.3 for “Scorpion.” ABC was third with a 2.2 for more “Stars,” Fox fourth with a 2.0 for “Hollow,” Univision fifth with a 1.2 for “Hasta el Fin del Mundo,” Telemundo sixth with a 0.7 for “En Otra Piel” and CW seventh with a 0.4 for “America’s Next Top Model.”

At 10 p.m. NBC was first again with a 3.4 for “Blacklist,” with CBS second with a 1.8 for the season finale of “Under the Dome,” which slipped 36 percent from last season. ABC was third with a 1.5 for “Forever,” Telemundo fourth with a very strong 1.3 for the series finale of “El Señor de los Cielos” and Univision fifth with a 0.8 for “La Malquerida.”

Among households, CBS led the night with a 7.9 average overnight rating and a 12 share. NBC was second at 7.5/12, ABC third at 7/1/11, Fox fourth at 4.0/6, Univision fifth at 1.5/2, Telemundo sixth at 1.1/2 and CW seventh at 0.7/1.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/nbc...ht-new-season/

TV/Nielsen Notes
For ‘S.H.I.E.L.D.,’ room for improvement
The Marvel comic book adventure was underwhelming
By Louisa Ada Seltzer, Media Life Magazine - Sep. 23, 2014

“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” which returns tonight at 9 p.m. for season two on ABC, did not live up to the admittedly very high expectations for season one.

The drama, a spinoff of the hugely successful Marvel comic book movies, premiered to great numbers, drawing a 4.6 rating in adults 18-49 and becoming the highest-rated new drama debut in two years.

But the show’s viewership quickly slumped.

In week two ratings fell by a third, and by season’s end the program had slipped below a 2.0.

Still, there are renewed hopes for “S.H.I.E.L.D.” in season two, for two main reasons. First, the show has moved into a later timeslot, from 8 to 9 p.m. More people watch TV at 9 than at 8, and so that could lead to ratings gains.

Second, “S.H.I.E.L.D.” has gotten better. Creatively the show suffered from comparisons to Marvel’s fun, clever big-screen features, which have dynamic leads such as Robert Downey Jr. to cover up any plot holes.

Without a Downey Jr., “S.H.I.E.L.D.’s” plot problems were obvious. The show was kind of dull. And so producers rebooted it over the summer, adding new characters, new twists and presumably more cameos so as to increase tune-in.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/for...r-improvement/

post #96970 of 96973 Old Today, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
I'm not sure why this is a problem.

TV genres ebb and flow over the decades - and even season to season. The fact that people aren't tuning in to sitcoms just means the networks have to pursue other forms of entertainment.

The fact is, every form of TV eventually falls into a rut where there's too much of the same thing and people simply don't tune in to it.

It's happened with Westerns, Variety Shows, Soap Operas, Game Shows, Sci-Fi and quite a few other categories. Even reality TV fell off for a while when people got sick of the glut of it on the broadcast networks. Now it's picking up again on cable, while the shows on broadcast still flounder. The 50's and 60's produced a ton of Westerns and Variety Shows. The 70's was all over gritty dramas offset by comedies and sci-fi shows. In the 80's, it was all about family action dramas and night time soaps. The 90's produced gritty police procedurals and hospital dramas, mixed with major comedy hits. The 2000's saw the rebirth of the game show, which led to the competition show boom. Now it's back to police, hospital and lawyer procedurals.

The fact is, I don't see why comedies are any more vital to TV than any other type of show. If people want them, they'll watch them. Otherwise, why force something on people that obviously isn't what they want to see?
Comedy sitcoms are my favorite. Not sure why they are declining. Perhaps because people have become too busy to watch prime time television programming.

post #96971 of 96973 Old Today, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlopezpm View Post
Comedy sitcoms are my favorite.
How does a comedy situation comedy differ from a situation comedy?
post #96972 of 96973 Old Today, 04:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post
You're not going to watch the show because of the NFL overrun issue?
They didn't end up broadcasting it here. I had setup a recording to get the second airing of the Pilot. But I see in another thread someone mentioned that it was free to watch from Amazon and Vudu too. So I might take a look at it later this week. But right now it has moved down to the bottom of my list.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #96973 of 96973 Old Today, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post
Guess you would tip 2 $1 bills at the stripclub then.
Somebody must have watched that lady in Total Recall a few times.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page