post #97441 of 97458 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRinDenver View Post
Oh really? Then you weren't there when the word ... couldn't be used in I Love Lucy episodes, and others.

In the Eisenhower years, oppression might be too strong a word, but the fact that adults ... was not a fit topic for conversation, on TV or in a living room. Keep it quiet, please.
OK, maybe the Ricardos were a bit strait laced, but how about the Burnses and the Mortons? From the AntennaTV episode guide for "Burns and Allen", there's a 1952 episode entitled "Gracie and Blanche Hire Two Gigolos to Take Them Out". I think the word had a slightly different meaning back then, but, still, TV was not as strait laced back then as you think. Of course, 1952 was still Truman, so maybe Ike cleaned things up in 1953.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #97442 of 97458 Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post
With The Walking Dead and The Good Wife on at the same time, we usually watch TWD first, TGW second. Zombies devouring people, then lawyers devouring people.
Speaking of lawyers, whatever happened to "L.A. Law" (the show with Susan Dey, Jimmy Smits, and others)? I have never seen that in syndicated re-runs over the years, but it was such a good show during at least the first half of its run on NBC. I liked the original "Law & Order" with Sam Waterston, too, but later on it seemed as though there was a new L&O series cropping up every year. I lost track of them all and couldn't see what the purpose was in having several shows under the same branding.
post #97443 of 97458 Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
I lost track of them all and couldn't see what the purpose was in having several shows under the same branding.

iReally?

IPhone, iPod, iPad, iMac, iTunes, iareyouserious?

Sent from a mobile device.
post #97444 of 97458 Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
iReally?

IPhone, iPod, iPad, iMac, iTunes, iareyouserious?

Sent from a mobile device.
OK, then. It's all about hype, I guess.
I don't own anything from icompany.
post #97445 of 97458 Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
What I meant is that in order to have a streaming service or streaming package that is affordable to the masses, people will have to actively resist the idea that ads are bad.
In this context "bad" really means "colossal waste of my time." Time that continues to grow shorter with each passing day. Should I really be forced, Clockwork Orange style, to forfeit 1/4 of my "prime-time" life?
post #97446 of 97458 Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
In this context "bad" really means "colossal waste of my time." Time that continues to grow shorter with each passing day. Should I really be forced, Clockwork Orange style, to forfeit 1/4 of my "prime-time" life?
OK, then just understand that if you want to avoid ads, you're going to have to pay for that privilege, and you probably won't be able to get live streams of the programming that the local affiliates are sending out over the air.

I kind of like the old model of limited choice, mass audiences, primetime lineups decided by network programming executives, a TV year that began in September and ended in May (with re-runs in the summer), a certain amount of self censorship via the networks' standards and practices departments, and a fair bit of regulatory authority for the FCC, including the regulation of content to some extent.

In other words, I have not been impressed by the trends in TV in the United States over the past twenty five years. The high definition pictures are gorgeous, but the overall quality of the programming and the overall viewing experience have declined.
post #97447 of 97458 Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
OK, then just understand that if you want to avoid ads, you're going to have to pay for that privilege, and you probably won't be able to get live streams of the programming that the local affiliates are sending out over the air.
Don't have a problem with that. I've been begging for direct "OTA" network feeds for decades now. I'm already paying for it either way.

All of the major network conglomerates could *easily* put up "+" style, commercial-free (or at least commercial non-interuptive) feeds. CBS owns Showtime for pete's sake! Etc, Etc, Etc.

Last edited by HDTVChallenged; Yesterday at 12:54 PM.
post #97448 of 97458 Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
In other words, I have not been impressed by the trends in TV in the United States over the past twenty five years. The high definition pictures are gorgeous, but the overall quality of the programming and the overall viewing experience have declined.
I "Liked" your post overall, but don't agree with some of it. It's easy to think quality has decreased. However, there are so many more offerings today that it's easy to forget that TV used to be limited to just 3 networks with 3 hours of content each for a total of 9 hours per night. And even then, we were limited to viewing only 3 of those hours. I guarantee I can find 3 hours of quality content that doesn't offend my sensibilities and I can watch them with my grandkids. And none of us will be subjected to an hour of Lawrence Welk, no offense to Larry.
Nayan likes this.

Cheers, Dave
post #97449 of 97458 Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
I "Liked" your post overall, but don't agree with some of it. It's easy to think quality has decreased. However, there are so many more offerings today that it's easy to forget that TV used to be limited to just 3 networks with 3 hours of content each for a total of 9 hours per night. And even then, we were limited to viewing only 3 of those hours. I guarantee I can find 3 hours of quality content that doesn't offend my sensibilities and I can watch them with my grandkids. And none of us will be subjected to an hour of Lawrence Welk, no offense to Larry.
So people are willing to pay around $80 (or more) every month for "basic cable" to get quality programming? Tell me, where is the quality? A&E and History are dreadful and have completely abandoned their original premises. Food Network is a bunch of lousy competition shows, not true cooking shows. There is almost no educational programming on basic cable. As for movies, TCM is the only basic cable channel that shows decent movies. ESPN, TNT, and TBS are full of useless sports programming featuring sports that have declined in skill level over the years. And the athletes are poor role models, often getting into trouble.

PBS looks more and more like an amazing value.
post #97450 of 97458 Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
So people are willing to pay around $80 (or more) every month for "basic cable" to get quality programming? Tell me, where is the quality? A&E and History are dreadful and have completely abandoned their original premises. Food Network is a bunch of lousy competition shows, not true cooking shows. There is almost no educational programming on basic cable. As for movies, TCM is the only basic cable channel that shows decent movies. ESPN, TNT, and TBS are full of useless sports programming featuring sports that have declined in skill level over the years. And the athletes are poor role models, often getting into trouble.

PBS looks more and more like an amazing value.
That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. However, if the Emmys are any indication, there is more quality programming on cable than on the networks. Personally, I enjoy aspects of both.
DoubleDAZ and Nayan like this.
post #97451 of 97458 Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. However, if the Emmys are any indication, there is more quality programming on cable than on the networks. Personally, I enjoy aspects of both.
Maybe I just have unusual tastes. I dislike any show or movie that involves crime, forensics, firearms, macho guys, edginess, swagger, etc. ( I did like "Key Largo", though, mainly because of Lauren Bacall).

I used to like the Emmy Awards, but over the years the awards have shifted away from mainstream tastes and toward the "hip" shows.
post #97452 of 97458 Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Maybe I just have unusual tastes. I dislike any show or movie that involves crime, forensics, firearms, macho guys, edginess, swagger, etc. ( I did like "Key Largo", though, mainly because of Lauren Bacall).

I used to like the Emmy Awards, but over the years the awards have shifted away from mainstream tastes and toward the "hip" shows.
It sounds like you would like ABC Family Channel and Hallmark Channel. They are both cable channels but carry family programming exclusively.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/

http://abcfamily.go.com/

Last edited by tomhunter8; Yesterday at 02:39 PM.
post #97453 of 97458 Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Agree, though Emmy's are no barometer for me. I enjoy what I like regardless of awards or critics. And when it comes to wholesomeness, I think shows like Parenthood are more wholesome and relevant than many from the past. If one is hung up on Andy and Lucy and Opie, then I guess today is not for them....oh wait, those are still available in reruns. Yes, I watch/watched some violence (Sons of Anarchy, Hell on Wheels, Justify, Chicago PD), sex (Rome, Spartacus, The Borgias) and plenty of bleeped out language (Jon Stewart and Jeff Dunham on Comedy Central). Heck, I even watch cartoons (Star Wars Rebels), but the quality is still there. I also watch some stuff with my granddaughter (Jesse, Dog With a Blog, Wizards of Waverly Place and anything to do with fairy princesses). The realism, writing, acting and set designs are all 2nd to none and worth every dollar I pay, though I wish it were cheaper.
Nayan likes this.

Cheers, Dave
post #97454 of 97458 Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It sounds like you would like ABC Family Channel and Hallmark Channel. They are both cable channels but carry family programming exclusively.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/

http://abcfamily.go.com/
No, not really. Some of the "family" stuff is pretty boring, and ABC Family has the 700 Club, which I regard as just a way to get money from gullible people by distorting the faith.

I miss the old variety shows and bemoan the lack of music shows on TV. PBS still has "Austin City Limits", but the music on that show has drifted away from what it was back in the 1980's.
post #97455 of 97458 Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 76
The 700 Club is an embarrassment that ABC Family is stuck with due to buying the cable channel. I bet they'd like to banish it to some 700 level channel never to be seen again.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page