AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 180
TV Notes
There goes ‘Honey Boo Boo?’ Show may be done
By Media Life Magazine Staff - Oct. 23, 2014

This week TMZ broke some disturbing news, if it’s true.

The gossip site claims Mama June, mother of the titular star on the TLC reality show “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo,” has been dating a registered sex offender, who was convicted of molesting one of June’s relatives.

At this point June has not said anything about the allegations. But TLC is evidently (and rightly) wary of a convicted child molester being associated with one of its shows, especially one as high profile as “Boo.”

No advertiser would want to be associated with such a program.

“TLC is not currently in production on ‘Here Comes Honey Boo Boo,’” the network said in a statement. “We are very concerned about this new information and are reassessing the future of the series.”

TMZ reports that June was dating the man a decade ago, when he was found guilty of aggravated child molestation of an 8-year-old. The relationship began again after he was released from jail earlier this year, TMZ claims.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/the...w-may-be-done/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #97532 of 97558 Old 10-23-2014, 11:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Modern 'Phantom of the Opera' Set Up at ABC With Marc Cherry
By Lesley Goldberg, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - Oct. 23, 2014

ABC is poised to remake one of the most beloved and successful musicals of all time.

The network is reteaming with Desperate Housewives creator Marc Cherry for an adaptation of Phantom of the Opera, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The project, which received a script commitment from the network, is described as a drama with musical elements in the same vein of ABC's Nashville. The new Phantom is described as a contemporary reimagining of Gaston Leroux's gothic novel and set in the sexy and cutthroat world of the modern-day music business. The hourlong scripted drama will be written by Alan Zachary and Michael Weiner (Broadway's First Date, Secondhand Lions, 17 Again) with Cherry and his ABC Studios-based Cherry/Wind Productions topper Sabrina Wind on board to exec produce.

First published in 1909, Phantom has been adapted numerous times in books, comics, film, TV, radio and the stage. Andrew Lloyd Webber's Tony-winning stage musical starring Michael Crawford is the longest-running show in Broadway history with more than 10,000 performances and ranks as the second-longest-running production on the West End. Its worldwide gross is more than $5.6 billion, the second-highest in history, with its Broadway haul of $845 million topped only by The Lion King.

On the small-screen, Phantom was most recently a two-part miniseries that aired on NBC in 1990. The mini won two technical Emmys and was nominated for a Golden Globe. On the big screen, Joel Schumacher adapted the musical with Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum in 2004.

ABC's Phantom take arrives as musical series have seen a resurgence on the small screen following the success of Fox's global hit Glee. ABC's Nashville has been steady for the network in its third season and musical fairy tale Galavant will bow midseason. Fox will also launch hip-hop drama Empire come midseason along with the final season of Glee. NBC, for its part, explored the Broadway world with two seasons of Smash and found massive success with its live musical production of The Sound of Music. The network will follow that with a live performance of Peter Pan in December, with Fox also plotting a live broadcast of Grease for 2015. Phantom will, like Nashville, also come with the added incentive of music sales — a further financial bonus for the network and studio.

For Cherry and Wind, this is the duo's second sale of the development season. The banner also set up Cheerleader Death Squad at The CW, from CBS Television Studios. Phantom reunites Cherry with ABC and ABC Studios, the companies behind Desperate Housewives. His Lifetime drama Devious Maids, which he exec produces, was originally developed at ABC Studios for ABC before moving to the cable network. Cherry, who previously had an overall deal with ABC Studios, does not currently have a development pact with a studio.

Cherry, Wind, Zachary and Weiner are repped by Paradigm. Cherry is additionally repped by Del Shaw; Wind is with Michael Gendler and Zachary and Weiner are with Michael Shenkman.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-set-up-743356
post #97533 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 12:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Business Notes
Amazon posts huge loss, warns of more
By Jefferson Graham, USA Today - Oct. 23, 2014

LOS ANGELES — Amazon had warned that it would lose bundles of cash in the third quarter, and it didn't disappoint.

But the size of the loss and a forecast that warned of more red ink by year's end chilled investors, who had already sent shares sharply lower for the year.

The Seattle-based online retailer (TICKER: AMZN) said it had a net loss of $437 million for the quarter, or 95 cents a share, compared with $41 million, or 9 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter. Analysts had forecast a loss of 74 cents a share.

Revenue rose 20% to $20.6 billion, short of the $20.84 billion projected by analysts. Amazon shares tumbled 11%, to $278.89, in after-hours trading. Ahead of the report, shares had lost 23% year to date, singed by prior big losses.

Huge losses will continue in the fourth quarter, Amazon said. The company projected losses as deep as $570 million for the fourth quarter, and revenue of $27.3 billion to $30.3 billion. That's shy of the average $30.9 billion analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had forecast.

MISFIRE

Amazon in the third quarter launched a highly publicized smartphone, the Fire, which attempted to take on the iPhone, but was a massive flop. The Fire was originally priced at $199 with a two-year contract, but it has been marked down to $1.

The company has a new line of Kindle tablets that have been better received, and it is looking to make a bigger splash with consumers by opening pop-up stores in San Francisco and Sacramento.

"The challenge will be in their ability to focus the selection of products around the needs of the market since it's impossible for Amazon to carry even a fraction of their online inventory in an actual store," says Michael Dill, Match Marketing Group's managing partner.

BIG SPEND

Amazon made a huge addition in the quarter, buying the popular video game tips and tricks site Twitch for $970 million.

As Amazon heads into its biggest time of the year, e-commerce is expected to hit $305.7 billion this year or 6.5% of all U.S. sales, up 16.5% from $264.3 billion in 2013, according to tracking firm eMarketer.

During the 2014 holiday season, eMarketer estimates e-commerce will account for $72.4 billion in the U.S., or 8.4% of all holiday season retail sales, compared with a 6.5% share of total retail throughout the entire year.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...rter/17783495/

Business Notes
Microsoft sales lifted by the cloud to $23.2B
By Nancy Blair, USA Today - Oct. 23, 2014

SAN FRANCISCO — Lifted by strong momentum in its Internet cloud-based offerings, Microsoft on Thursday said its fiscal first-quarter revenue jumped to $23.2 billion, topping Wall Street estimates.

The company said it earned 54 cents a share, or $5.84 billion. Analysts had expected Microsoft to earn 49 cents a share, down from 62 cents, or $5.2 billion, a year ago, according to Yahoo Finance. Revenue expectations were $22 billion.

The results included the impact of restructuring related to deep cuts announced in July at its Nokia division.

"We are off to a great start to the year," Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said on a conference call with analysts.

Shares of Microsoft MSFT popped after hours, trading up as much as 4%. The stock closed in regular trading Thursday at $45.02.

OFFICE 365 HOME

The consumer division, which includes devices, saw revenue growth of 47% to $10.96 billion, Microsoft said. Among highlights, Office 365 Home and Personal subscribers totaled more than 7 million, up more than 25% over the fourth quarter of 2014.

The company said sales of its Surface Pro 3 tablet/laptop hybrid drove revenue of $908 million for Surface tablets.

Commercial revenue grew 10% to $12.28 billion from a year ago. Importantly, commercial "cloud" revenue grew 128%, driven by Office 365 and the company's Azure cloud-computing platform.

Ahead of the announcement, Forrester analyst Frank Gillett said such growth is key as Microsoft moves "away from the old PC and software licensing model."

Indeed, cloud offerings are providing "major jet fuel in the engine for Microsoft," said FBR Capital Markets analyst Daniel Ives.

In July, the company announced its fourth-quarter earnings less than a week after making public plans to cut 18,000 employees, or about 14% of its workforce, mostly from its Nokia smartphone unit.

MODEST LUMIA SALES

Lifting its share of a smartphone market dominated by Google's Android platform and the Apple iPhone juggernaut is also crucial for Microsoft. Its Windows Phone had a 4.8% share of the U.S. market last year and is expected to decline slightly, according to eMarketer.

For the quarter, Microsoft said it sold 9.3 million Lumia smartphones, describing that as modest growth driven by European sales.

IDC analyst Al Hilwa called it a "much better quarter for Microsoft than many expected."

"Multiple parts of the business appear to be doing really well," he said, while calling the overall mobile strategy "still a work in progress."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...ings/17782759/
post #97534 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Review
‘Celebrity Name Game,’ bubblegum
The syndicated game show is a comforting chew for the eyes
By Tom Conroy, Media Life Magazine - Oct. 23, 2014

It’s always fun to know the answer to a question on a game show that no one on the show manages to guess. Game-show producers are aware of that, so many shows just go ahead and let viewers see all the answers.

The syndicated game show “Celebrity Name Game” makes things even more accessible by mostly limiting its topics to, as the title suggests, celebrities, a subject that is perhaps unique in that we can feel proud of both our knowledge and our ignorance of it. Fast-paced and featuring an amusing host, the show isn’t quite a perfect time waster, but it isn’t quite a perfect waste of time either.

The show follows in the footsteps of “Password” and “The [Top Prize Money Goes Here] Pyramid.” Two teams of two regular folks compete with the help of celebrity guest stars.

Working against the clock, one participant provides clues to another. We viewers at home know the answer because it’s shown on-screen.

The rules change slightly in various rounds, but the process is essentially the same. The top prize is $20,000, which “Pyramid” was giving away back in the late ’70s.

The host is the soon-to-be-former star of “The Late Late Show,” Craig Ferguson, who treats both the gig and the contestants with the right balance of respect and mockery. Although none of his witticisms in two recent shows are worth quoting, he always made them seem funny.

Both Ferguson and we at home get to smirk when the contestants or their celebrity helpers say something stupid. In one recent episode, when the actor David Alan Grier tried to get his contestant partner to guess Robert De Niro by saying, “The greatest actor in movies — Italian,” she said, “Count Chocula?”

In the same round, Grier seemed to think that his partner would guess Barbara Bush simply because he said that she was married to a white president.

The most enjoyable round is the one in which Ferguson himself provides clues to one contestant from each team. He seems to relish making the contestants sweat by starting out with obscure clues.

In one episode, the category he presented was actors who have played the devil. The clue that puts Jack Nicholson over the top was that he goes to Lakers games.

In the final round, the words “salad dressing” were enough to prompt the correct response: Paul Newman.

The celebrity angle makes the show guilt-free. We can feel smart because we remember that Billy Crystal played the devil in Woody Allen’s “Deconstructing Henry,” and we can also feel smart because we don’t remember that Jennifer Love Hewitt played the devil in some obscure movie that no one saw anyway.

It’s also fun to feel superior to the celebrities. Although Grier proved to be incompetent at giving clues, he was good at guessing answers. In another recent episode, the actor David Arquette proved to be vice versa.

It’s unclear why “the moon” appeared in one round as an answer, but to try to figure that out would be taking “Celebrity Name Game” more seriously than the people involved in it do. The lack of seriousness is the whole point.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/cel...-comfort-food/
post #97535 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
TV Notes
There goes ‘Honey Boo Boo?’ Show may be done
By Media Life Magazine Staff - Oct. 23, 2014

“TLC is not currently in production on ‘Here Comes Honey Boo Boo,’” the network said in a statement. “We are very concerned about this new information and are reassessing the future of the series.”
For those like me who didn't even realize this barrel-scraping show was still a thing on television, good news, it's not any longer. TLC officially cancelled it today.
ozark, tomhunter8 and Nayan like this.

Last edited by VisionOn; Yesterday at 08:13 AM.
post #97536 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So guys? Favorite new shows now that we are a ways in?

I am surprised to say that my two favorites are sitcoms with god-awful names. 'Black-ish' - which is very much like one of my favorites 'Everybody Hates Chris' and 'Selfie'. Those names though!

Actually, the third on my list is also surprising - 'How to get away with Murder'. Though I suspect my interest in that will only last a season.

xnappo
post #97537 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 432
I think The Flash is the only one I am still watching. Everything else I saw didn't seem to have any potential and on the verge of imminent cancellation.

post #97538 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
I think The Flash is the only one I am still watching. Everything else I saw didn't seem to have any potential and on the verge of imminent cancellation.
Can't believe I forgot Gotham - I like it a lot. I am worried about the 23 episode order though - it would have been better off staying at 12-13.

Going to catch up on The Flash this weekend.

xnappo
post #97539 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I'm really enjoying Murder and I'm planning to check out Constantine tonight. Nothing else has really grabbed my attention this season.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
post #97540 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

I am surprised to say that my two favorites are sitcoms with god-awful names. 'Black-ish' - which is very much like one of my favorites 'Everybody Hates Chris' and 'Selfie'. Those names though!

Actually, the third on my list is also surprising - 'How to get away with Murder'. Though I suspect my interest in that will only last a season.

xnappo
Black-ish for sure.
post #97541 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My viewing habits have changed a lot this year. For a macro quick take, it's: 3 ABC, 2 CBS, 5 FOX, 2 NBC, 3 CW and 7 from various Cable channels.

For as long as I can remember FOX an Cable shows were never my most viewed Networks.

* Includes 5 half hour shows.

Anyone else have a major shift in their Programming mix ?

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !

Last edited by Dmon4u; Yesterday at 03:33 PM.
post #97542 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

The Carbonaro Effect.
TeeJay1952 and Mark12547 like this.
post #97543 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I think 'Jane The Virgin' has been the most surprising one for me so far.....
post #97544 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

xnappo
Z-Nation on Syfy, which is a complete surprise to me.
post #97545 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post
Anyone else have a major shift in their Programming mix ?
I cut the cord a couple of months ago. I have the streaming thing, but miss my live TV and DVR. I'm a sad panda.
post #97546 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Canceled by TLC
By Chris Harnick, EOnline.com - Oct. 24, 2014

Here Comes cancellation for Honey Boo Boo. E! News can confirm TLC has pulled the plug on the reality series following former kid pageant star Alana "Honey Boo Boo" Thompson and her family. The news comes after reports that Mama June (June Shannon) was dating a convicted child molester.

"TLC has cancelled the series Here Comes Honey Boo Boo and ended all activities around the series, effective immediately," the network said in a statement. "Supporting the health and welfare of these remarkable children is our only priority. TLC is faithfully committed to the children's ongoing comfort and well-being."

Mama June posted the above video on Facebook confirming TLC will not produce any more episode of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo and thanking fans for their support. She also reiterates claims that she is not dating Mark McDaniel.
"Just got a phone call this morning from TLC and as of right now there will be no more production of the show…the statement of me dating a sex offender is totally untrue. Pumpkin has openly said that I did not—that I'm not dating him and also his son," she said. "I would not ever, ever, ever put my kids in danger. I love my kids too much. That is my past. I have not seen that person in 10 years and don't seem to want to see that person."

After a photo came out of Mama June and McDaniel, a man convicted for aggravated child molestation, TLC said it was "not currently in production on Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. We are very concerned about this new information and are reassessing the future of the series."

Mama June took to Facebook late Thursday night to address the story and said she dated McDaniel 10 years ago, but hasn't been seeing him since. "I promise my kids r #1 priority over anything else and I would never put them in danger period over this or anything else[.] they r my life," she said in a post addressing the rumors.

McDaniel's son, Michael, told E! News his father was not dating the reality star. Mama June's daughter, Lauryn "Pumpkin" Shannon, also told Radar that her mother and McDaniel have not spoken or seen each other in 10 years.

In September, Mama June and Sugar Bear (Mike Thompson, Alana's father) announcedtheir split. Mama June said she and Sugar Bear have remained friends and are civil with each other. "Things happen for a reason in life, and you live and learn," she said.

Here Comes Honey Boo Boo was a spinoff the hit reality series Toddlers and Tiaras. The show finished airing its fourth season in August with 1.8 million viewers tuning in, down from its previous seasons.

http://www.eonline.com/news/591576/h...anceled-by-tlc
post #97547 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
ABC's ‘Manhattan Love Story’ Is First Cancellation Casualty of New Season
By Linda Ge, TheWrap.com - Oct. 24, 2014

ABC's romantic comedy chronicling the courtship of two New Yorkers has been canceled.

The Tuesday night sitcom, which was paired with fellow freshman sitcom “Selfie,” failed to resonate with audiences in its 8:30 timeslot.

Jake McDorman and Analeigh Tipton star in the half-hour comedy as a pair of young people who are set up and then awkwardly fumble their way into a romance. The show was characterized by the duo's internal dialogue layered over each of their scenes.

“Manhattan Love Story” debuted to a 1.3 rating, which marked a 55 percent slide from last September's season premiere of “The Goldbergs” and a 43 percent drop from last September's season debut of “Trophy Wife.”

Throughout its short four-episode run, the show averaged a 1.0 rating among the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic, and only 3.3 million viewers.

To replace the newly canceled show, ABC will air back-to-back episodes of “Selfie” in the 8-9 p.m. hour preceding “Marvel's Agents of SHIELD.”

“Selfie” is also considered on the bubble, though its ratings have been slightly higher, averaging a 1.2 rating and 4.08 million viewers.

http://www.thewrap.com/abcs-manhatta...of-new-season/
post #97548 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

THURSDAY's fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings -and what they mean- have been posted on Analyst Marc Berman's Media Insights' Blog.
post #97549 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nielsen Overnights (18-49)
‘Thursday Night Football’ goes out on top
Final CBS game posts a 13.6 in metered-market households
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Oct. 24, 2014

A highly anticipated matchup between the San Diego Chargers and the Denver Broncos, two of the NFL’s top teams, boosted ratings for the final “Thursday Night Football” game on CBS and NFL Network.

The contest averaged a 13.6 metered-market household rating, according to Nielsen, becoming the second-highest-rated “TNF” game this season, a tenth behind the Pittsburgh Steelers-Baltimore Ravens game on Sept. 11.

It was up 35 percent from last week’s New England Patriots-New York Jets game.

“Thursday Night Football” averaged an 11.4 rating for seven games with simulcasts on CBS and NFL Network. Next week the games will air only on the cable network, as CBS’s regular scripted programming returns to Thursday.

Elsewhere Thursday night, ABC’s drama lineup saw week-to-week gains, with “Grey’s Anatomy” growing 4 percent to a 2.5, “Scandal” up 3 percent to a 3.0, and “How to Get Away With Murder” up 7 percent to a 3.0.

“Scandal” and “Murder” tied as the night’s top non-sports program.

NBC’s lineup saw declines, with “The Biggest Loser” (1.2), “A to Z” (0.9) and “Parenthood” (1.2) all down a tenth and “Bad Judge” (1.0) off 0.2.

Fox’s “Gracepoint” stayed steady with a 0.8 at 9 p.m., while the CW’s “Reign” grew a tenth to a season-high 0.5 in the same hour.

CBS finished first for the night among 18-49s with a 4.5 average overnight rating and a 14 share. ABC was second at 2.8/9, Univision third at 1.2/4, NBC fourth at 1.1/3, Fox fifth at 0.8/3, CW sixth at 0.6/2, and Telemundo seventh at 0.5/2.

As a reminder, all ratings are based on live-plus-same-day DVR playback, which includes shows replayed before 3 a.m. the night before. Seven-day DVR data won’t be available for several weeks. Forty-nine percent of Nielsen households have DVRs.

Also, ratings for CBS’s NFL coverage are approximate as fast nationals measure timeslot and not actual program data.

At 8 p.m. CBS led with a 4.0 for its first hour of football, followed by ABC with a 2.5 for “Grey’s.” Univision was third with a 1.5 for “Mi Corazon es Tuyo,” NBC fourth with a 1.2 for “Loser,” Fox fifth with a 0.9 for a repeat of “Bones,” CW sixth with a 0.8 for “The Vampire Diaries” and Telemundo seventh with a 0.4 for “Reina de Corazones.”

CBS was first at 9 p.m. with a 5.0 for football, while ABC remained second with a 3.0 for “Scandal.” Univision was third with a 1.4 for “Hasta el Fin del Mundo,” NBC fourth with a 1.0 for “Judge” (1.0) and “A to Z” (0.9), Fox fifth with a 0.8 for “Gracepoint,” CW sixth with a 0.5 for “Reign” and Telemundo seventh with a 0.4 for “Los Miserables.”

At 10 p.m. CBS was first again with a 4.6 for more football, followed again by ABC with a 3.0 for “Murder.” NBC was third with a 1.2 for “Parenthood,” and Univision and Telemundo tied for fourth at 0.8, Univision for “La Malquerida” and Telemundo for “Señora Acero.”

CBS was also first for the night among households with an 8.9 average overnight rating and a 15 share. ABC was second at 6.5/11, NBC third at 2.8/5, Fox fourth at 2.5/4, Univision fifth at 1.5/3, CW sixth at 1.0/2, and Telemundo seventh at 0.8/1.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/thu...ball-goes-top/
post #97550 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Washington/Business Notes
FCC Postpones Auction Of Broadcast TV Spectrum To 2016
By David Lieberman, Deadline.com - Oct. 24, 2014

Television station owners have more time than some probably ever imagined to decide whether to let wireless broadband providers buy airwave spectrum that they use to transmit programming. The FCC has been working on a voluntary auction for years with plans to have it take place in mid-2015. But today the agency says it will postpone the sale to early 2016 as it grapples with a lawsuit from the National Association of Broadcasters that says the plan will hurt stations that choose to keep the spectrum that they license.

“We are confident we will prevail in court,” Gary Epstein, who chairs the FCC’s Incentive Auction Task Force, says today in a blog post. But the schedule for the court case, issued this week, suggests that any decision is “not likely until mid-2015.” As a result, the FCC now says it will accept applications for the auction next fall. “Despite this brief delay, we remain focused on the path to successfully implementing the incentive auction,” Epstein says.

NAB denies that its “narrowly focused lawsuit is cause for delay.” The group believes that “it is more important to get the auction done right then right now… We look forward to a speedy resolution of our legal challenge and a successful auction that preserves access to free and local TV for every American.”

Supporters of the auction say that unless wireless service providers have more spectrum, the fast-growing ranks of consumers using smart phones, tablets, and other mobile devices will face dropped calls, dead zones, slow speeds, and high prices. The Obama administration is eager to free up 300 megahertz over five years, and 500 mhz over a decade. That will be hard to accomplish without help from broadcasters – the biggest users of spectrum outside of the military. Officials say stations can give up some of it and still thrive by using compression technologies and reaching audiences via cable or satellite. The FCC has also said that its auction could be a windfall for some stations because they would share some of the proceeds.

CTIA, the wireless industry’s lobby group, calls the FCC’s announcement today “unfortunate” saying that several reports “show a continued and significant increase in consumer demand for mobile broadband access…When the auction is held, mobile companies will have their checkbooks ready to participate in this critical auction that will be key to our nation’s wireless future.”

http://deadline.com/2014/10/fcc-post...uction-859727/
post #97551 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Review
In 'Death Comes to Pemberley,' a brisk mystery in Austen-land
By Robert Lloyd, Los Angeles Times - Oct. 24, 2014

That Jane Austen failed to write a murder-mystery sequel to "Pride and Prejudice" was an oversight remedied in 2011 by P.D. James with her novel "Death Comes to Pemberley." Like "P&P" and many other Austens before it — and many of James' own works, for that matter — that book has been adapted for television. Making its American debut Sunday via the PBS series "Masterpiece Mystery," 201 years after Elizabeth Bennet finally said yes to Mr. Darcy, it's a highly satisfying riff on the original work, as well as a credit to the modern British costume drama.

Pemberley, of course, is the estate of which Elizabeth Bennet became mistress in the last pages of Austen's 1813 original. As James picks up the tale, six years have passed; there's a little Darcy running through the manorial halls; big Darcy (Matthew Rhys, of "The Americans") is less forbidding than before; and Lizzie (the wonderful Anna Maxwell Martin, from "The Bletchley Circle") is as smart and lively, ironical and serious as ever.

The honeymoon is clearly not over. And a ball is about to be thrown.

In a trice — a trice and a half at the most — other familiar characters appear.

Darcy's sister Georgiana (Eleanor Tomlinson) is living at Pemberley, as Austen left her. She's the focus of the new story's romantic business, which comes with the old questions of the right sort of wrong people and the wrong sort of right people.

Also present are Lizzie's parents (James Fleet and Rebecca Front) and her sisters Jane (Alexandra Moen), now Mrs. Bingley, and Lydia (Jenna Coleman, moonlighting from "Doctor Who"), still Mrs. Wickham. (Sisters Mary and Kitty, the bookish one and the one no one quite remembers, have not been invited to this party, as if to underscore their dispensability.) Even the imperious and interfering Lady Catherine de Bourgh (Penelope Keith) pokes her head in, for a little comic relief.

Not to be too forthcoming, since the title raises the question of who will be dead as well as who might have done it — there is some suspense on that account, at least as I lived the drama — but things happen. Lydia arrives at the door of Pemberley, uninvited, in an all but runaway coach, breathlessly reporting shots in the woods; Wickham (Matthew Goode of "The Good Wife"), even less invited, is brought in not long after, bloody and raving. A magistrate (Trevor Eve), James' quasi-detective and the official counterpart to Lizzie's Regency Nancy Drew, is sent for. And we are off into new territory.

James, the creator of Inspector Adam Dalgliesh, is a very different sort of writer from Austen, who more or less created the rom-com. But if she's transposed Austen into a darker key, "Pride and Prejudice" is, after all, not without its secrets and lies and late-hour revelations — it is a mystery story, in its way. And "Pemberley" observes the happier rites and rituals of the canon: There are music and cards, walks in the woods and trips to the village; Mrs. Bennet remains a flibbertigibbet and Mr. Bennet remains hiding in the library. The added elements of a forensic procedural give the new work a novel twist but don't mask its essential flavor, like a chocolate cake with chili on top.

What's more, as adapted by Juliette Towhidi ("Calendar Girls") and directed by Daniel Percival, "Death Comes to Pemberley" is made of the same physical stuff as other casually sumptuous British costume dramas — coequal in every respect but the source to an adaptation of "Pride of Prejudice," which one can easily imagine these perfectly cast players playing. (I would like to see that very much.)

Indeed, such productions already seem to inhabit a single, seamless universe: Notwithstanding the changing fashions and modern appliances, there isn't much distance between "Pemberley" and "Downton Abbey"; were the Dowager Countess to wander in, the Darcys wouldn't bat an eye — they'd recognize her as kin and offer her some tea, or whatever.

'Masterpiece Mystery!: Death Comes to Pemberley'
Where: KOCE and KPBS
When: 9 p.m. Sunday

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...24-column.html
post #97552 of 97558 Old Yesterday, 11:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
SATURDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Late night shows are preceded by late local news)

ABC:
8PM - College Football: Ohio State at Penn State (LIVE)

CBS:
8PM - Elementary
(R - Oct. 17, 2013)
9PM - 48 Hours
10PM - 48 Hours

NBC:
8PM - The Mysteries of Laura
(R - Oct. 22)
9PM - Constantine
(R - Oct. 24)
10PM - Saturday Night Live (Tom Hanks hosts; Aerosmith performs)
(R)
11:29PM - Saturday Night Live (Jim Carrey hosts; Iggy Azalea performs, 93 min.)

FOX:
8PM - 2014 World Series, Game 4: Kansas City Royals at San Francisco Giants (LIVE)
11PM - Animation Domination High-Def (60 min.)
(R)

PBS:
(check your local listing for starting time/programming)
8PM - Austin City Limits: Tweedy

UNIVISION:
8PM - Sábado Gigante (Three Hours)

TELEMUNDO:
7PM - Yo Soy El Artista (120 min.)
(R)
9PM - Fútbol Mexicano Primera División: CF Pachuca vs. Club Deportivo Universidad de Guadalajara
(LIVE)
post #97553 of 97558 Old Today, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 69
[QUOTE=dad1153;28517401]TV Review
In 'Death Comes to Pemberley,' a brisk mystery in Austen-land
By Robert Lloyd, Los Angeles Times - Oct. 24, 2014

That Jane Austen .........../QUOTE]

Looking forward to this one.
post #97554 of 97558 Old Today, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Talking

Quote:
TV Notes
Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Canceled by TLC
By Chris Harnick, EOnline.com - Oct. 24, 2014

Here Comes cancellation for Honey Boo Boo. E! News can confirm TLC has pulled the plug on the reality series following former kid pageant star Alana "Honey Boo Boo" Thompson and her family. The news comes after reports that Mama June (June Shannon) was dating a convicted child molester.

"TLC has cancelled the series Here Comes Honey Boo Boo and ended all activities around the series, effective immediately," the network said in a statement. "Supporting the health and welfare of these remarkable children is our only priority. TLC is faithfully committed to the children's ongoing comfort and well-being."

Mama June posted the above video on Facebook confirming TLC will not produce any more episode of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo and thanking fans for their support. She also reiterates claims that she is not dating Mark McDaniel.
"Just got a phone call this morning from TLC and as of right now there will be no more production of the show…the statement of me dating a sex offender is totally untrue. Pumpkin has openly said that I did not—that I'm not dating him and also his son," she said. "I would not ever, ever, ever put my kids in danger. I love my kids too much. That is my past. I have not seen that person in 10 years and don't seem to want to see that person."

After a photo came out of Mama June and McDaniel, a man convicted for aggravated child molestation, TLC said it was "not currently in production on Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. We are very concerned about this new information and are reassessing the future of the series."

Mama June took to Facebook late Thursday night to address the story and said she dated McDaniel 10 years ago, but hasn't been seeing him since. "I promise my kids r #1 priority over anything else and I would never put them in danger period over this or anything else[.] they r my life," she said in a post addressing the rumors.

McDaniel's son, Michael, told E! News his father was not dating the reality star. Mama June's daughter, Lauryn "Pumpkin" Shannon, also told Radar that her mother and McDaniel have not spoken or seen each other in 10 years.

In September, Mama June and Sugar Bear (Mike Thompson, Alana's father) announcedtheir split. Mama June said she and Sugar Bear have remained friends and are civil with each other. "Things happen for a reason in life, and you live and learn," she said.

Here Comes Honey Boo Boo was a spinoff the hit reality series Toddlers and Tiaras. The show finished airing its fourth season in August with 1.8 million viewers tuning in, down from its previous seasons.

http://www.eonline.com/news/591576/h...anceled-by-tlc
Good Riddance!!!

To Quote Gloria Estefan:

"And when you go we

won't miss you at all!"

Last edited by borntocoast; Today at 06:31 AM. Reason: @#&$!!! Fat Fingers!!
post #97555 of 97558 Old Today, 06:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 681
With the blessed cancellation of 'Honey Boo Boo', the collective IQ of several unnamed southern states just rose 5 points.

Cancelling 'Duck Dynasty' would give 'em another 5 points.
tomhunter8 likes this.
post #97556 of 97558 Old Today, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
TV/Business Notes
Studios to Reap $6.8 Billion From SVOD Syndication in 2015
By Andrew Wallenstein, Variety.com - Oct. 23, 2014

Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime are going to be a godsend to Hollywood’s major studios in the coming years, if projections issued Thursday from RBC Capital Markets are any indication.

Analyst David Bank estimates that the three biggest subscription VOD services will spend a collective $6.8 billion on programming in 2015. Not only does that represents a healthy increase over the $5.2 billion estimated to hit the studios this year, but he expects double-digit year-over-year increases in SVOD syndication spend for “years to come” taking into account the aggressive international expansion of companies like Netflix in particular.

That SVOD spend will still be dwarfed by the expected $18.4 billion projected next year for off-network domestic syndication spending from cable, but the gap between digital and TV dollars may close in the future given cable channels likely aren’t going to grow as dramatically 5-10 years from now.

By Bank’s calculations, SVOD spending already exceeded syndication dollars spent by broadcast stations last year; it will more than double the $3.3 billion projected for 2015. SVOD, broadcast stations and cable combined will bless the studios with $29.5 billion next year.

Of the $6.8 billion Bank estimates coming next year, $3.3 billion will come from Netflix, $1.7 billion from Amazon and $1.5 from Hulu. For Hulu, that will represents a near doubling of its syndication spend from the this year.

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news...15-1201337738/
Ironic that the studios have seemed so resistant to making deals with Netflix, Hulu and the like. Only recently have they really started to embrace those services as they've found more viewers that would otherwise be lost - and some of those are linear TV viewers that caught up with a show via streaming, then watched day and date on TV.

This feels like their fight over video tape players - until they saw the potential revenue from the home video business. Apparently, they didn't learn their lesson when streaming started coming up in the ranks.

Now, they have even more potential than ever. They can release series and movies in bulk deals that would otherwise never have a market in the DVD or syndication world. There are shows and movies that may never be seen again (at least through legal means) because those deals aren't being made or are only being made through overpriced and limited releases though the likes of Twilight Time which few will ever see.

On the other hand, streaming availability can lead to a sanctioned studio release should it prove popular on streaming. That appears to be what has happened with NYPD Blue and Hill Street Blues, which were orphaned DVD sets until they began streaming and caught a new wave of viewers. Now they both are ramping up again on disc.

That's good for both the streaming viewers and the collectors.
post #97557 of 97558 Old Today, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
I think 'Jane The Virgin' has been the most surprising one for me so far.....
Agreed. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected to.

Quote:
TV Notes
ABC's ‘Manhattan Love Story’ Is First Cancellation Casualty of New Season
By Linda Ge, TheWrap.com - Oct. 24, 2014
I liked this one too, but I'm not surprised it is gone. It was good, but just not quite good enough.
post #97558 of 97558 Old Today, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
With the blessed cancellation of 'Honey Boo Boo', the collective IQ of several unnamed southern states just rose 5 points.

Cancelling 'Duck Dynasty' would give 'em another 5 points.
Watch it, buddy! DD is a fine, upstanding American show. And one that I've never bothered to watch.....

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page