AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 180
TV Notes
There goes ‘Honey Boo Boo?’ Show may be done
By Media Life Magazine Staff - Oct. 23, 2014

This week TMZ broke some disturbing news, if it’s true.

The gossip site claims Mama June, mother of the titular star on the TLC reality show “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo,” has been dating a registered sex offender, who was convicted of molesting one of June’s relatives.

At this point June has not said anything about the allegations. But TLC is evidently (and rightly) wary of a convicted child molester being associated with one of its shows, especially one as high profile as “Boo.”

No advertiser would want to be associated with such a program.

“TLC is not currently in production on ‘Here Comes Honey Boo Boo,’” the network said in a statement. “We are very concerned about this new information and are reassessing the future of the series.”

TMZ reports that June was dating the man a decade ago, when he was found guilty of aggravated child molestation of an 8-year-old. The relationship began again after he was released from jail earlier this year, TMZ claims.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/the...w-may-be-done/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #97532 of 97541 Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Modern 'Phantom of the Opera' Set Up at ABC With Marc Cherry
By Lesley Goldberg, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - Oct. 23, 2014

ABC is poised to remake one of the most beloved and successful musicals of all time.

The network is reteaming with Desperate Housewives creator Marc Cherry for an adaptation of Phantom of the Opera, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The project, which received a script commitment from the network, is described as a drama with musical elements in the same vein of ABC's Nashville. The new Phantom is described as a contemporary reimagining of Gaston Leroux's gothic novel and set in the sexy and cutthroat world of the modern-day music business. The hourlong scripted drama will be written by Alan Zachary and Michael Weiner (Broadway's First Date, Secondhand Lions, 17 Again) with Cherry and his ABC Studios-based Cherry/Wind Productions topper Sabrina Wind on board to exec produce.

First published in 1909, Phantom has been adapted numerous times in books, comics, film, TV, radio and the stage. Andrew Lloyd Webber's Tony-winning stage musical starring Michael Crawford is the longest-running show in Broadway history with more than 10,000 performances and ranks as the second-longest-running production on the West End. Its worldwide gross is more than $5.6 billion, the second-highest in history, with its Broadway haul of $845 million topped only by The Lion King.

On the small-screen, Phantom was most recently a two-part miniseries that aired on NBC in 1990. The mini won two technical Emmys and was nominated for a Golden Globe. On the big screen, Joel Schumacher adapted the musical with Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum in 2004.

ABC's Phantom take arrives as musical series have seen a resurgence on the small screen following the success of Fox's global hit Glee. ABC's Nashville has been steady for the network in its third season and musical fairy tale Galavant will bow midseason. Fox will also launch hip-hop drama Empire come midseason along with the final season of Glee. NBC, for its part, explored the Broadway world with two seasons of Smash and found massive success with its live musical production of The Sound of Music. The network will follow that with a live performance of Peter Pan in December, with Fox also plotting a live broadcast of Grease for 2015. Phantom will, like Nashville, also come with the added incentive of music sales — a further financial bonus for the network and studio.

For Cherry and Wind, this is the duo's second sale of the development season. The banner also set up Cheerleader Death Squad at The CW, from CBS Television Studios. Phantom reunites Cherry with ABC and ABC Studios, the companies behind Desperate Housewives. His Lifetime drama Devious Maids, which he exec produces, was originally developed at ABC Studios for ABC before moving to the cable network. Cherry, who previously had an overall deal with ABC Studios, does not currently have a development pact with a studio.

Cherry, Wind, Zachary and Weiner are repped by Paradigm. Cherry is additionally repped by Del Shaw; Wind is with Michael Gendler and Zachary and Weiner are with Michael Shenkman.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-set-up-743356
post #97533 of 97541 Old Today, 12:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Business Notes
Amazon posts huge loss, warns of more
By Jefferson Graham, USA Today - Oct. 23, 2014

LOS ANGELES — Amazon had warned that it would lose bundles of cash in the third quarter, and it didn't disappoint.

But the size of the loss and a forecast that warned of more red ink by year's end chilled investors, who had already sent shares sharply lower for the year.

The Seattle-based online retailer (TICKER: AMZN) said it had a net loss of $437 million for the quarter, or 95 cents a share, compared with $41 million, or 9 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter. Analysts had forecast a loss of 74 cents a share.

Revenue rose 20% to $20.6 billion, short of the $20.84 billion projected by analysts. Amazon shares tumbled 11%, to $278.89, in after-hours trading. Ahead of the report, shares had lost 23% year to date, singed by prior big losses.

Huge losses will continue in the fourth quarter, Amazon said. The company projected losses as deep as $570 million for the fourth quarter, and revenue of $27.3 billion to $30.3 billion. That's shy of the average $30.9 billion analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had forecast.

MISFIRE

Amazon in the third quarter launched a highly publicized smartphone, the Fire, which attempted to take on the iPhone, but was a massive flop. The Fire was originally priced at $199 with a two-year contract, but it has been marked down to $1.

The company has a new line of Kindle tablets that have been better received, and it is looking to make a bigger splash with consumers by opening pop-up stores in San Francisco and Sacramento.

"The challenge will be in their ability to focus the selection of products around the needs of the market since it's impossible for Amazon to carry even a fraction of their online inventory in an actual store," says Michael Dill, Match Marketing Group's managing partner.

BIG SPEND

Amazon made a huge addition in the quarter, buying the popular video game tips and tricks site Twitch for $970 million.

As Amazon heads into its biggest time of the year, e-commerce is expected to hit $305.7 billion this year or 6.5% of all U.S. sales, up 16.5% from $264.3 billion in 2013, according to tracking firm eMarketer.

During the 2014 holiday season, eMarketer estimates e-commerce will account for $72.4 billion in the U.S., or 8.4% of all holiday season retail sales, compared with a 6.5% share of total retail throughout the entire year.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...rter/17783495/

Business Notes
Microsoft sales lifted by the cloud to $23.2B
By Nancy Blair, USA Today - Oct. 23, 2014

SAN FRANCISCO — Lifted by strong momentum in its Internet cloud-based offerings, Microsoft on Thursday said its fiscal first-quarter revenue jumped to $23.2 billion, topping Wall Street estimates.

The company said it earned 54 cents a share, or $5.84 billion. Analysts had expected Microsoft to earn 49 cents a share, down from 62 cents, or $5.2 billion, a year ago, according to Yahoo Finance. Revenue expectations were $22 billion.

The results included the impact of restructuring related to deep cuts announced in July at its Nokia division.

"We are off to a great start to the year," Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said on a conference call with analysts.

Shares of Microsoft MSFT popped after hours, trading up as much as 4%. The stock closed in regular trading Thursday at $45.02.

OFFICE 365 HOME

The consumer division, which includes devices, saw revenue growth of 47% to $10.96 billion, Microsoft said. Among highlights, Office 365 Home and Personal subscribers totaled more than 7 million, up more than 25% over the fourth quarter of 2014.

The company said sales of its Surface Pro 3 tablet/laptop hybrid drove revenue of $908 million for Surface tablets.

Commercial revenue grew 10% to $12.28 billion from a year ago. Importantly, commercial "cloud" revenue grew 128%, driven by Office 365 and the company's Azure cloud-computing platform.

Ahead of the announcement, Forrester analyst Frank Gillett said such growth is key as Microsoft moves "away from the old PC and software licensing model."

Indeed, cloud offerings are providing "major jet fuel in the engine for Microsoft," said FBR Capital Markets analyst Daniel Ives.

In July, the company announced its fourth-quarter earnings less than a week after making public plans to cut 18,000 employees, or about 14% of its workforce, mostly from its Nokia smartphone unit.

MODEST LUMIA SALES

Lifting its share of a smartphone market dominated by Google's Android platform and the Apple iPhone juggernaut is also crucial for Microsoft. Its Windows Phone had a 4.8% share of the U.S. market last year and is expected to decline slightly, according to eMarketer.

For the quarter, Microsoft said it sold 9.3 million Lumia smartphones, describing that as modest growth driven by European sales.

IDC analyst Al Hilwa called it a "much better quarter for Microsoft than many expected."

"Multiple parts of the business appear to be doing really well," he said, while calling the overall mobile strategy "still a work in progress."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...ings/17782759/
post #97534 of 97541 Old Today, 12:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Review
‘Celebrity Name Game,’ bubblegum
The syndicated game show is a comforting chew for the eyes
By Tom Conroy, Media Life Magazine - Oct. 23, 2014

It’s always fun to know the answer to a question on a game show that no one on the show manages to guess. Game-show producers are aware of that, so many shows just go ahead and let viewers see all the answers.

The syndicated game show “Celebrity Name Game” makes things even more accessible by mostly limiting its topics to, as the title suggests, celebrities, a subject that is perhaps unique in that we can feel proud of both our knowledge and our ignorance of it. Fast-paced and featuring an amusing host, the show isn’t quite a perfect time waster, but it isn’t quite a perfect waste of time either.

The show follows in the footsteps of “Password” and “The [Top Prize Money Goes Here] Pyramid.” Two teams of two regular folks compete with the help of celebrity guest stars.

Working against the clock, one participant provides clues to another. We viewers at home know the answer because it’s shown on-screen.

The rules change slightly in various rounds, but the process is essentially the same. The top prize is $20,000, which “Pyramid” was giving away back in the late ’70s.

The host is the soon-to-be-former star of “The Late Late Show,” Craig Ferguson, who treats both the gig and the contestants with the right balance of respect and mockery. Although none of his witticisms in two recent shows are worth quoting, he always made them seem funny.

Both Ferguson and we at home get to smirk when the contestants or their celebrity helpers say something stupid. In one recent episode, when the actor David Alan Grier tried to get his contestant partner to guess Robert De Niro by saying, “The greatest actor in movies — Italian,” she said, “Count Chocula?”

In the same round, Grier seemed to think that his partner would guess Barbara Bush simply because he said that she was married to a white president.

The most enjoyable round is the one in which Ferguson himself provides clues to one contestant from each team. He seems to relish making the contestants sweat by starting out with obscure clues.

In one episode, the category he presented was actors who have played the devil. The clue that puts Jack Nicholson over the top was that he goes to Lakers games.

In the final round, the words “salad dressing” were enough to prompt the correct response: Paul Newman.

The celebrity angle makes the show guilt-free. We can feel smart because we remember that Billy Crystal played the devil in Woody Allen’s “Deconstructing Henry,” and we can also feel smart because we don’t remember that Jennifer Love Hewitt played the devil in some obscure movie that no one saw anyway.

It’s also fun to feel superior to the celebrities. Although Grier proved to be incompetent at giving clues, he was good at guessing answers. In another recent episode, the actor David Arquette proved to be vice versa.

It’s unclear why “the moon” appeared in one round as an answer, but to try to figure that out would be taking “Celebrity Name Game” more seriously than the people involved in it do. The lack of seriousness is the whole point.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/cel...-comfort-food/
post #97535 of 97541 Old Today, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
TV Notes
There goes ‘Honey Boo Boo?’ Show may be done
By Media Life Magazine Staff - Oct. 23, 2014

“TLC is not currently in production on ‘Here Comes Honey Boo Boo,’” the network said in a statement. “We are very concerned about this new information and are reassessing the future of the series.”
For those like me who didn't even realize this barrel-scraping show was still a thing on television, good news, it's not any longer. TLC officially cancelled it today.
ozark, tomhunter8 and Nayan like this.

Last edited by VisionOn; Today at 08:13 AM.
post #97536 of 97541 Old Today, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So guys? Favorite new shows now that we are a ways in?

I am surprised to say that my two favorites are sitcoms with god-awful names. 'Black-ish' - which is very much like one of my favorites 'Everybody Hates Chris' and 'Selfie'. Those names though!

Actually, the third on my list is also surprising - 'How to get away with Murder'. Though I suspect my interest in that will only last a season.

xnappo
post #97537 of 97541 Old Today, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 430
I think The Flash is the only one I am still watching. Everything else I saw didn't seem to have any potential and on the verge of imminent cancellation.

post #97538 of 97541 Old Today, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
I think The Flash is the only one I am still watching. Everything else I saw didn't seem to have any potential and on the verge of imminent cancellation.
Can't believe I forgot Gotham - I like it a lot. I am worried about the 23 episode order though - it would have been better off staying at 12-13.

Going to catch up on The Flash this weekend.

xnappo
post #97539 of 97541 Old Today, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I'm really enjoying Murder and I'm planning to check out Constantine tonight. Nothing else has really grabbed my attention this season.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
post #97540 of 97541 Old Today, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
So guys? Favorite new shows now that we are a ways in?

I am surprised to say that my two favorites are sitcoms with god-awful names. 'Black-ish' - which is very much like one of my favorites 'Everybody Hates Chris' and 'Selfie'. Those names though!

Actually, the third on my list is also surprising - 'How to get away with Murder'. Though I suspect my interest in that will only last a season.

xnappo
Black-ish for sure.
post #97541 of 97541 Old Today, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My viewing habits have changed a lot this year. For a macro quick take, it's: 3 ABC, 2 CBS, 5 FOX, 2 NBC, 3 CW and 7 from various Cable channels.

For as long as I can remember FOX an Cable shows were never my most viewed Networks.

* Includes 5 half hour shows.

Anyone else have a major shift in their Programming mix ?

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !

Last edited by Dmon4u; Today at 03:33 PM.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List