post #98581 of 98585 Unread Today, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
It seems to me anyway traditional network TV and a lot of cable channels are going the cheap to produce junk reality show route and when not airing that they are going for the stereotypical low brow programming and not much caring about quality save for maybe a few shows mentioned above amidst all the garbage .

OTOH FX "The Americans" and WGN America's "Manhattan" are good examples of what is possible I may have missed some others but these are decent IMO.
It seems to me that as long as viewers watch, nothing will change, not that it necessarily should. We all seem to think that our definition of "good" is the right one and that only the shows we like should get produced/broadcast. If it were up to me, there'd only be one sitcom on and only 2 sporting events (poker and NHRA). I'm quite sure not many here would be happy with that.

And did it ever occur to you that the so-called "junk" pays for the other stuff we like?

As long as I can change the channel and find something I enjoy, I'm quite satisfied. And the DVR let's me exclude commercials, so I'm also okay with 42 minutes of actual content just as some are okay with 20 minutes of comedy. For me it's like reading a book. I don't just read the thick ones, I read the thin ones too. Enjoyment is my measure, not length.
Nayan likes this.

Cheers, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #98582 of 98585 Unread Today, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister
Hopefully at least ABC isn't giving him a pass and will let Katie Couric get hard with him .
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
Ouch! Isn't that an oxymoron?
After I posted it I kinda figured that could be interpreted in various ways so lets substitute contrarian and confrontational !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ
And did it ever occur to you that the so-called "junk" pays for the other stuff we like?
Sure there is business case for that OTOH with viewership declining at most networks (other than sports ) one could make a business case for better programing also . ☺It seems like IPTV and some cable channel original programming shows are showing the way but the network types may be asleep at the wheel !

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 07:10 PM.
post #98583 of 98585 Unread Today, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
It seems to me anyway traditional network TV and a lot of cable channels are going the cheap to produce junk reality show route and when not airing that they are going for the stereotypical low brow programming and not much caring about quality save for maybe a few shows mentioned above amidst all the garbage .
Exactly. The programming executives have free will, and they have freely chosen to prefer bad over good. They have chosen to care about maximizing profits more than about delivering a decent product.
tubetwister likes this.
post #98584 of 98585 Unread Today, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Sure there is business case for that OTOH with viewership declining at most networks (other than sports ) one could make a business case for better programing also . ☺It seems like IPTV and some cable channel original programming shows are showing the way but the network types may be asleep at the wheel !
TV viewership might be declining, but much of that is simply because there are a myriad of ways to view things now, most of which are not part of the ratings metric, and there are so many more outlets for our attention. Quality of even the best content can always be improved, but that's no guarantee that viewership would increase and who's to say what needs to be improved or how. Some of the best shows have been cancelled before the first year was up, so it still boils down to one's definition of "good" vs someone else's. I look at the popularity ratings on Netflix and wonder who the heck is watching this stuff. What it proves to me is that someone will watch almost anything, like Syfy Saturday night movies. And cable channels don't need near the viewership numbers to make something profitable and they don't have the same constraints, but take a poll of everyone's Top 10 and I think you'd be surprised at just how many shows make someone's list. Heck, I would be surprised if some MeTV and RetroTV shows didn't make someone's list. Then too, when networks pay some bozo millions to read a teleprompter and call it news or pay someone to talk about nothing of substance for hours on end and call it entertainment, it's understandable why their dramas and sitcoms are popular in spite of quality, or lack of.

Cheers, Dave
post #98585 of 98585 Unread Today, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZTV
viewership might be declining, but much of that is simply because there are a myriad of ways to view things now,
One can view the networks on any number of devices now even more network iptv streaming is opening up every day .
so that may not hold water for long the network execs uses that excuse for a crutch to explain their decline and lack of innovation when being interviewed or talking to investors .

Quote:
Quality of even the best content can always be improved, but that's no guarantee that viewership would increase and who's to say what needs to be improved or how.
Be that as it may they aren't in most cases attempting to make just good content so best isn't an adjective I would attribute to the broadcast networks. Nielsen ratings ,polls and measurement systems by their own admission (Nielsen's) are flawed and antiquated so the ratings networks base programming decisions may be somewhat invalid. ofc good programming should be effectively scheduled also some good shows probably got cancelled early due to
poor scheduling decisions .

Quote:
take a poll of everyone's Top 10 and I think you'd be surprised at just how many shows make someone's list.
No argument there I'm surprised at some of the drivel some folks watch but if that's all they know that's what they will watch if they watch .
Most TV programming is circling the drain but you are right people watch it so it may be around for a while .

Quote:
Then too, when networks pay some bozo millions to read a teleprompter and call it news or pay someone to talk about nothing of substance for hours on end and call it entertainment, it's understandable why their dramas and sitcoms are popular in spite of quality, or lack of.
Some of the TV and entertainment personalities and executive compensation is way out of line to what they contribute much like *some of the executive compensation in business now and then and TV and Hollywood stars maybe more of that money should go to better programming or the balance sheets or the rank and file.

It can work both ways the good talking heads can often be more interesting than some of the silly dramas they make now save for a few and almost all of the sitcoms ofc the 'other talking heads' (the one's I don't like) ☺☺ aren't good for much of anything !☺☺

Quote:
And cable channels don't need near the viewership numbers to make something profitable and they don't have the same constraints
It could be the traditional business model is broken and something innovative like iptv (or like iTunes did with music ) will eventually flush it out in the marketplace anyway .

Ofc these are just some of my opinions and speculations so they might not be valid either .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 09:00 PM.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page