AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
"full freight".
That's just a phrase, not a finite term, but I suspect you know that.

Cheers, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #98672 of 98697 Unread Yesterday, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
Another analog is that we all pay gas tax for highway maintenance, but who tears up the roads more, my little Prius or someone's huge 18-wheeler? Shouldn't they pay more? And if they do via the tax on diesel fuel, then all those with small diesel-powered cars/trucks pay the same as those 18-wheelers, fair?
I think most if not all states have weight fees for registering heavy vehicles. This is supposed to pay for the damage caused by heavy vehicles. I have no idea if it the fees fully capture the costs, but they are fairly hefty.
DrDon and DoubleDAZ like this.
post #98673 of 98697 Unread Yesterday, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Well, back before cable TV and satellite TV, back when there was only OTA, were people who watched a show and bought the advertiser's product complaining about people who watched the show but did not buy the advertiser's product?

I mean, were there a lot of Milton Berle fans who were miffed at people who watched Uncle Miltie but did not visit the Texaco Man?

Why is everybody nowadays so worried that somebody else might get a free ride?
post #98674 of 98697 Unread Yesterday, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Well, back before cable TV and satellite TV, back when there was only OTA, were people who watched a show and bought the advertiser's product complaining about people who watched the show but did not buy the advertiser's product?

I mean, were there a lot of Milton Berle fans who were miffed at people who watched Uncle Miltie but did not visit the Texaco Man?

OK DoubleDAZ, in sense I still pay for my programming, about half of what a cable subscription does. For the record veedon I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for "Freebies" about 1/4 of the movies in my mammoth collection were acquired at garage sales, I bought one or two movies, and the proprietar of the sale let me have the entire contents. I once acquired over 40 movies and two mini-series for free because they were lying at the curb waiting for the garbage truck to take them away (Yes, I got permission from the owner to take them away!). One man's trash IS another mans treasure! My favorite freebies aren't videos, they're airline tickets. Whenever I'm sitting in a terminal waiting to board a plane the words "This flight is overbooked" is MUSIC to my ears. Twelve times I've snagged a free ticket by volunteering to give up my seat in exchange for a later flight On three of these occaisions I also got a free stay at an airport hotel as well as a free dinner and a free breakfast in addition to the ducat. On two other occaisions I didn't get a free ticket, but got the next-best thing instead, a first-class upgrade!
DoubleDAZ likes this.
post #98675 of 98697 Unread Yesterday, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Who said anyone was worried about someone getting a free ride? I'm all for it if it suits your needs, I wish it suited mine. Just understand that if everyone did it, the TV landscape would be quite different and they're always developing new ways to make you pay to keep the model working. Like anything else, this current TV model only works if there are enough willing to pay. Look at what's happening to highway taxes now that so many have efficient cars and demand is down, they want to tax miles driven. The current highway tax system only works as long as enough are paying enough to keep it going. Heck, I think OTA stations are even trying to come up with a way to make you pay for OTA reception.

Cheers, Dave
post #98676 of 98697 Unread Yesterday, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post
OK DoubleDAZ, in sense I still pay for my programming, about half of what a cable subscription does.
Are you really spending that much? That seems like an awful lot for a cord-cutter without Netflix, etc. I would have expected it to be much less, but then I would have assumed most viewing was OTA.

Cheers, Dave
post #98677 of 98697 Unread Yesterday, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Who said anyone was worried about someone getting a free ride? I'm all for it if it suits your needs, I wish it suited mine. Just understand that if everyone did it, the TV landscape would be quite different and they're always developing new ways to make you pay to keep the model working. ... Heck, I think OTA stations are even trying to come up with a way to make you pay for OTA reception.
Well, consumers may finally be deciding that frugality trumps having it all. There may no longer be a desire for so many channels, especially channels that have departed from their original premises.

The programming executives and the MVPD's have had a long time to look at costs and to look at the average income of American households and to take some steps to reduce the costs of service. They have refused to do so, so now consumers are looking for other alternatives.
post #98678 of 98697 Unread Yesterday, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
SUNDAY
DECEMBER 21

BIANCULLI’S BEST BETS

THE SOUND OF MUSIC: SING-A-LONG
ABC, 7:00 p.m. ET

Last night, NBC repeated its 2013 Sound of Music Live! television adaptation of the Rodgers and Hammerstein classic musical, starring Carrie Underwood. Tonight, ABC trumps that, and wins the holiday pot, by rebroadcasting the 1965 movie version of that same Broadway musical. This one, of course, stars Julie Andrews, and doesn’t require a spoonful of sugar to swallow it. It arrives plenty sweet enough as is.

LONE SURVIVOR
HBO, 7:55 p.m. ET

In this fact-based 2013 war drama, four Navy SEALS are stuck in the mountains of Afghanistan, isolated from reinforcements, when their routine-sounding mission devolves into an unexpected battle against a veritable army of Taliban fighters. Peter Berg directed and is co-writer, and the stars include Mark Wahlberg and Taylor Kitsch. The latter, of course, worked with Berg before, on the TV version of Friday Night Lights. But don’t get too attached to both of these leading roles, because the title doesn’t bode well.

TREASURES FROM THE DISNEY VAULT
TCM, 8:00 p.m. ET

Here’s an exciting new occasional offering from TCM: dipping into the Disney vault for vintage treasures, just like they used to do on The Mickey Mouse Show. Tonight’s dip into the Disney archives begins at 8 p.m. ET with a trio of vintage shorts, starting with 1932’s Santa’s Workshop. At 8:30 p.m. ET comes 1954’s The Disneyland Story, the preview for the still-under-construction California theme park, which opened Disney’s cannily cross-promotional ABC series Disneyland. And at 11 p.m. ET – pay attention, Baby Boomers – TCM presents Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier, a movie compilation of episodes, starring Fess Parker, made for the Disneyland series as one of television’s first miniseries. And stay up late, or set your recorders, for 12:45 a.m. ET, when the evening continues with 1954’s The Vanishing Prairie, one of those early Disney nature films that, while unabashedly manipulative in its storytelling and editing, probably had as much to do with the birth of the environmental movement as Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring.

HOMELAND
Showtime, 9:00 p.m. ET

SEASON FINALE: You’ve got to give credit to this season’s villain, Haqqani, for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but with the right human shield to protect him. First it was Saul, whose presence prevented Haqqani from being obliterated by a bomb strike. Then, last week, it was Carrie, whose presence at the scene of Quinn’s planned bombing of Haqqani’s vehicle allowed him to drive away unscathed from that potential assassination as well. But the person Carrie saw in the back of Haqqani’s car – that means trouble, and leads to the climactic confrontation back home in the States. It’s been a very strong, rebounding season, so this is one to make an effort to watch.

THE AFFAIR
Showtime, 10:00 p.m. ET

SEASON FINALE: Whether you watch this season finale depends upon how drawn you’ve been by the interlocking, often contradictory love story that, by tonight’s episode, takes back seat to a detective story. Whether the questions are answered to your satisfaction will depend – on both what you’re expecting, and how the show delivers.

post #98679 of 98697 Unread Yesterday, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 185
About cutting the cable which I did over a year ago and haven't looked back, I am on the bandwagon to get content providers to lets us "rent" rather than "own" a series. They could probably charge 1/2 to 1/3 the price just to rent an episode for 24 or 48 hours. I have a bunch of series on the cloud "I own" that I may never watch another episode of again. And of course they could keep the "own" option too for those that want to own a season.
post #98680 of 98697 Unread Yesterday, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, consumers may finally be deciding that frugality trumps having it all. There may no longer be a desire for so many channels, especially channels that have departed from their original premises.

The programming executives and the MVPD's have had a long time to look at costs and to look at the average income of American households and to take some steps to reduce the costs of service. They have refused to do so, so now consumers are looking for other alternatives.
I don't know that there's ever been a desire for as many channels as we have, they've simply been forced upon us by cable/sat and we complain while still paying our bills. I look back at my old bills where I had to pay for each outlet, didn't have a DVR, etc., and I think cable is actually a pretty good deal today. I watch a lot of TV, though I could certainly do without much of it if I had too, but it's just not worth cutting my TV bill in half to do so. Many of us probably don't even know what our "TV" bill is, we just look at our "cable" bill and complain. I think it's actually worse that we pay so much for internet service. I have no problem with a channel changing their focus, I can turn it off and watch something else.
Nayan likes this.

Cheers, Dave
post #98681 of 98697 Unread Yesterday, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I know the number of channels that I don't watch are probably double of what I do, but for me having cable is worth it. I am a 'one and done' viewer, meaning that if I've already seen it I have really no desire to see it again. Plus I love sports, so there ya go .
mchief99 likes this.

I act my age sometimes. Sometimes ;). Crap I say
post #98682 of 98697 Unread Yesterday, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Cool

Quote:
Are you really spending that much? That seems like an awful lot for a cord-cutter without Netflix, etc. I would have expected it to be much less, but then I would have assumed most viewing was OTA.
I'm thinking of getting an antenna, but since OTAs are also stuffed with commercials I'd probably use it three or four times a year (Most likely during events such as the Superbowl, Olympics, and the Macys and Rose Parades). In my town Basic Cable was $65.00 a month in January of 2007. Trust me that $65.00 a month buys shows on Home Video, lots and lots of them. In the eight years since "Cutting the Cord" I've acquired DVDs, Blu-Rays and even good old-fashioned VHSs of over 800 TV Series, along with over 2,500 Movies and over 1,500 hours of Serials and Documentaries. As you can see, I won't be subscribing to a Pay-TV service anytime soon, since I have no need to have such a service. Right now I'm scoping out the stores (Both B&M and Online) to decide what I'm going to spend my "Santa Money" on. Merry Christmas to all of my AVS Buddies, and I hope Santa gives all of you the things on your list that you need.
post #98683 of 98697 Unread Yesterday, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Glad to see that Dish is pushing back against content providers who try to force them to carry a bundle of channels in order to get a specific channel. I'd like to see DirecTV and the big cable companies crack down on that, too.
And I'd like to see the government outlaw the bundling of phone, internet, and cable TV service. To have true competition and fairness, each service should stand or fall on its own merits.
Nayan likes this.
post #98684 of 98697 Unread Yesterday, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And I'd like to see the government outlaw the bundling of phone, internet, and cable TV service. To have true competition and fairness, each service should stand or fall on its own merits.
I seem to be the contrarian today. You don't have to take phone, internet and cable from the cableco, you can take 1, 2 or all 3 (if you want a discount), so I don't see what the problem is. You can take TV from cable, phone from a Telco and internet from any ISP. Many people have sat for TV, cable for internet and cell service for phone. I only get TV and internet from cable and cell service for our phones.

Cheers, Dave
post #98685 of 98697 Unread Yesterday, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Glad to see that Dish is pushing back against content providers who try to force them to carry a bundle of channels in order to get a specific channel. I'd like to see DirecTV and the big cable companies crack down on that, too.
I agree, but the odds are stacked against them. If they band together, they are accused of colluding. And from what I've seen, DirecTV is always there to pick up the pieces, so they'll never go along. We've put up with the ABC/Disney/ESPN juggernaut for way too many years and now that others are getting into the act we want the government to step in. We are a fickle bunch.

Cheers, Dave
post #98686 of 98697 Unread Yesterday, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I seem to be the contrarian today. You don't have to take phone, internet and cable from the cableco, you can take 1, 2 or all 3 (if you want a discount), so I don't see what the problem is. You can take TV from cable, phone from a Telco and internet from any ISP. Many people have sat for TV, cable for internet and cell service for phone. I only get TV and internet from cable and cell service for our phones.
The problem is that the three services (phone, internet, and TV) are different and have different histories of regulatory treatment by the government. Cable TV systems, for example, are granted exclusive local franchise rights because (in most places) it is not feasible to have a lot of different companies digging up the same pieces of ground to lay cable. (In some states, the legislature, at the behest of big cable companies, has put regulatory control at the state level and deprived local governments of having much say about anything at all. So much for having government be close to the people it serves!)

Satellite TV is supposedly a competitor to the cable TV companies, so much so that under federal law nearly all of the nation is regarded as having "significant competition", and that (under the law) removes the local franchising authority from having any real power to control rates, even for the very basic cable TV service (which exists only due to federal mandate) that just consists of the local stations and a few others.

But is satellite TV in reality a substantial competitor for cable TV? No, not if it is much easier for a cable company to provide phone and internet service than it is for a satellite company to provide those services.

The ability to combine forces against the giant ComcastTWC is one reason that DirecTV wants to merge with AT&T.

Last edited by veedon; Yesterday at 07:31 PM.
post #98687 of 98697 Unread Yesterday, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Last regular game of NFL season announced: Bengals @ Steelers on week 17 edition of Sunday Night Football.
post #98688 of 98697 Unread Today, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Ok, the cord-cutting discussion probably needs to go back to one of the cord-cutting threads. It tends to take on a life of its own and has done so before in HOTP.
rcman2, tomhunter8 and Nayan like this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; Today at 09:06 AM.
post #98689 of 98697 Unread Today, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Could rehash the "Is Die Hard a Christmas movie ?" thing especially since AXSTV is doing a Die Hard marathon on Christmas Eve.

Yippee Ki Yay "Die Hard isnt a Christmas movie" camp.
DoubleDAZ and Nayan like this.

post #98690 of 98697 Unread Today, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 201
TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
MONDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)

ABC:
8PM - The Greatest Christmas Light Fight (Season Finale, 120 min.)
10:01PM - Castle
(R - Mar. 17)
11:35PM - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Ryan Seacrest; Rebecca Romijn; Vintage Trouble performs)
(R - Dec. 4)
12:37AM - Nightline

CBS:
8PM - The Big Bang Theory
(R - Oct. 6)
8:31PM - Mike & Molly
9:01PM - Scorpion
(R - Oct. 13)
9:59PM - NCIS: Los Angeles
(R - Dec. 17, 2013)
11:35AM - Late Show with David Letterman (Steve Carell; style expert Martha Stewart; OK Go performs)
(R - Nov. 11)
12:37AM - The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (Stylist Carson Kressley; mixed martial artist Rampage Jackson)
(R - Oct. 13)

NBC:
8PM - Saturday Night Live: A Saturday Night Live Christmas
(R - Dec. 3)
10PM - State of Affairs
11:34PM - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Chris Pine; David Oyelowo; chef Bobby Flay)
12:36AM - Late Night with Seth Meyers (Shaquille O'Neal; Eddie Redmayne; VaynerMedia CEO Gary Vaynerchuk)
(R - Nov. 18)
1:37AM - Last Call with Carson Daly (Lisa Ling; Self performs; comic Nick Youssef)
(R - Nov. 10)

FOX:
8PM - Gotham
(R - Oct. 6)
9PM - Sleepy Hollow
(R - Oct. 13)

PBS:
(check your local listing for starting time/programming)
8PM - Antiques Roadshow: The Boomer Years
9PM - Antiques Roadshow: Phoenix, AZ
(R - Apr. 19, 2010)
10PM - Independent Lens: The Trials of Muhammad Ali (90 min.)
(R - Apr. 14)

UNIVISION:
8PM - Mi Corazón Es Tuyo
9PM - Hasta El Fin del Mundo
10PM - La Malquerida

THE CW:
8PM - The iHeartradio Jingle Ball 2014 (90 min.)
(R - Dec. 18, 2014)
9:30PM - Whose Line Is It Anyway?
(R - Oct. 10)

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - Los Miserables
9PM - Tierra de Reyes
10PM - Señora Acero

TBS:
11PM - Conan (Martin Short; Camilla Luddington; singer-songwriter Ryan Adams)
(R - Oct. 2)

Last edited by dad1153; Today at 01:35 PM.
post #98691 of 98697 Unread Today, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Dec. 22, 2014

MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET
AMC, 6:30 p.m. ET

AMC is televising two versions of this movie tonight. At 8:45 p.m. ET, it presents the 1994 remake, starring Richard Attenborough as the modern embodiment of Santa Claus, and Mara Wilson as the little girl who believes this particular department-store Santa is real. But the one to watch is the original, which starts at 6:30 p.m. ET. The 1947 holiday classic stars Edmund Gwenn as the Macy’s store Santa, and, as the young girl who believes in him, a very, very young Natalie Wood.

A SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE CHRISTMAS
NBC, 8:00 p.m.

Another few hours of prime-time weekday TV to fill – and, on this night, another compilation of Saturday Night Live holiday clips, this time tied to Christmas. That means, of course, a cornucopia of singing trios, Schweddy Balls, and, of course, Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon as the dueling “wrappers” from Wrappinville.

12 YEARS A SLAVE
Cinemax, 8:00 p.m.

I know. This powerful but grim 2013 drama, about a free northern black man’s descent into slavery in the antebellum southern states, isn’t exactly warm and fuzzy holiday fare. But it’s the best movie shown tonight anywhere on TV, so it deserves mention. Chiwetel Ejiofor stars.

HIS GIRL FRIDAY
TCM, 8:00 p.m. ET

This movie must have been seen by Aaron Sorkin dozens of times, because it’s the unofficial template for the way his characters talk in anything he writes. Every character. But that’s not an insult or even necessarily a criticism, because glib dialogue doesn’t get any glibber than this. Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell star as cynical newspaper co-workers, in this cleverly reworked version of Ben Hecht’s The Front Page.

MAJOR CRIMES
TNT, 9:00 p.m. ET

Having a guy dress as Santa Claus to pull off a robbery isn’t very original, much less sporting, for the Christmas holidays. But in this new Major Crimes episode, having him organize the heist so that he gets to escape by blending into a Santa-costume flash mob – that’s a modern twist worth noting.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/

Last edited by dad1153; Today at 01:50 PM.
post #98692 of 98697 Unread Today, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Critic's Notes
Quirky Talismans of Your Lost Youth
An ‘Antiques Roadshow’ Episode Targets Baby-Boomers
By Neal Genzlinger, The New York Times - Dec. 22, 2013

If you’re PBS and want to serve up a holiday present that hits your viewership right in its sweet spot, here’s what you do: Take one of your most durable franchises and assemble a baby-boomer edition of it.

Thus “Antiques Roadshow” offers a special episode called “The Boomer Years” on Monday night. (Check local listings.) No Civil War firearms or Theodore Roosevelt memorabilia here. It’s a compilation from past shows of items from the 1940s, ’50s and ’60: a John F. Kennedy campaign poster, a 1962 left-handed Stratocaster guitar, an Earl Moran painting.

One interesting feature of the program is that it juxtaposes the value of each piece in the year the segment first aired with its value now. The trajectory isn’t always upward. The poster from Kennedy’s presidential run was valued at $6,000 to $8,000 in 2008, but now it’s just $2,000 to $2,200.

For some of these items, though, who cares about the value? A baseball signed by the 1951 New York Yankees (including Joe DiMaggio) and Marilyn Monroe? Just knowing it exists is enough.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/ar...ref=television

Last edited by dad1153; Today at 01:50 PM.
post #98693 of 98697 Unread Today, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

SUNDAY's fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings -and what they mean- have been posted on Analyst Marc Berman's Media Insights' Blog.
post #98694 of 98697 Unread Today, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
No duPont Awards for broadcast networks
By Media Life Magazine Staff - Dec. 21, 2013

Earlier this month, when the Golden Globe nominations were announced, the broadcast networks were nearly shut out.

The Big Four failed to earn any nods in the best comedy category; the CW was the only broadcast channel to earn any, for “Jane the Virgin.”

And while a handful of broadcast shows earned drama nominations, cable still dominated.

That’s apparently a sign of the times.

At the Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Awards last week, given by the Columbia University School of Journalism to recognize the best in news, the broadcast networks failed to win an award for the first time since they were conceived in 1968.

Four local TV stations did pick up awards. But the other 10 went to CNN, PBS and even Netflix for a documentary called “Virunga,” about politics and environmentalism.

PBS’s “Frontline” led all shows with two victories, one for a story on how the U.S. collected personal data in secret on citizens and one for an in-depth look at ISIS.

The Seattle Times and NPR were among the other winners.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/no-...cast-networks/
post #98695 of 98697 Unread Today, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Obituary
Joe Cocker Dead At 70
Singer’s Music Highlighted Woodstock, Films And TV
By David Bloom, Deadline.com - Dec. 22, 2013

Joe Cocker, the gravel-voiced singer whose music graced memorable scenes in Nine 1/2 Weeks and An Officer and a Gentleman along with the Woodstock documentary, died today in Crawford, Colo., at 70 from a form of lung cancer.

Though he was primarily known for his covers of songs written by the Beatles, Randy Newman and others, Cocker’s music appeared in seemingly countless TV shows and films, beginning at the end of the 1960s with appearances on a series of music shows and documentaries, including Mad Dogs & Englishmen and the original Woodstock documentary of the legendary rock concert.

Best known were his performances of Newman’s You Can Leave Your Hat On in a particularly steamy scene between Mickey Rourke and Kim Basinger during Nine 1/2 Weeks, and another big romantic shot in the finale of An Officer and a Gentleman, where he sang Up Where We Belong with Jennifer Warnes as Richard Gere’s character sweeps Debra Winger’s character up and carries her out of the factory. The latter song went on to become a No. 1 hit in the United States, and sold more than 2 million copies. He also performed the song on the 55th Academy Awards in 1983.

Other songs with which he was inextricably linked are With a Little Help From My Friends, You Are So Beautiful, Unchain My Heart, California Love, Feeling Alright and The Letter.

Cocker’s music was a backdrop to TV shows such as The Wonder Years, Family Guy, Hello Ladies, The Wire, Entourage, House M.D., Friends, Full House, Beavis and Butt-Head, Miami Vice and Saturday Night Live.

Other films featuring Cocker’s music include Iron Man 2, The Pursuit of Happyness, 20 Feet From Stardom, Across the Universe, Finding Graceland, Carlito’s Way, Sleepless in Seattle and The Bodyguard.

http://deadline.com/2014/12/joe-****...ck-1201333534/

Last edited by dad1153; Today at 01:51 PM.
post #98696 of 98697 Unread Today, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
‘Mike & Molly’ Last-Minute Holiday Episode Is a Christmas Miracle
By Jethro Nededog, TheWrap.com - Dec. 22, 2014

Monday’s “Mike & Molly” Christmas episode was definitely the result of a team effort on the part of the CBS comedy’s cast and producers.

The show, which just premiered its fifth season earlier this month, hadn’t originally planned a holiday episode. But, after the network finalized the show’s air dates, everyone realized the show had an episode airing really close to Christmas. So, star Reno Wilson — who plays Mike’s (Billy Gardell) police partner, Carl — leaped into action, show representatives told TheWrap.

Wilson asked “Mike & Molly” showrunner Al Higgins if there was any way a Christmas episode would be possible. The team jumped on it and were able to crank out the episode in the nick of time.

Titled “Tis The Season To Be Molly,” the episode reveals that Molly (Melissa McCarthy) is a stickler for Christmas traditions and she wants everything to be perfect. Mike assures her he’ll be home in time for Christmas Eve dinner, but then he and Carl end up in the back of a stolen truck. Meanwhile, Molly is upset with Vince (Louis Mustillo) for trying to change the family’s Christmas traditions.

In TheWrap’s exclusive preview of the show’s last-minute Christmas episode, Molly shows just how Type-A she is about the holidays.

Watch the video.

“Mike & Molly” airs Mondays at 8:30 p.m. on CBS.

http://www.thewrap.com/mike-molly-la...clusive-video/

Last edited by dad1153; Today at 01:51 PM.
post #98697 of 98697 Unread Today, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Business Notes
'Interview' fallout no laughing matter in comedy world
By Josh Rottenberg and Deborah Vankin, Los Angeles Times - Dec. 22, 2014

In the early 1990s, writer-director Jim Abrahams was making a big studio comedy about a mission to kill a foreign dictator — and not just any foreign dictator, one the United States had recently gone to war against: Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

The idea of targeting a sitting world leader for 1993's "Hot Shots! Part Deux" didn't raise alarms at the studio, 20th Century Fox. For Abrahams — who, with David and Jerry Zucker, had also made the boundary-pushing comedy "Airplane!" — it was just a natural subject for a funny movie.

"Our thinking was that it's more fun to take pot shots at a real bad guy than to create a straw dummy," Abrahams remembers.

If anything, Abrahams says, there was disappointment when the film didn't draw Hussein's ire. "In the back of our minds, we were thinking, 'Wow, that would be cool if Saddam would help publicize the movie!'''

Last week, in a stark illustration of just how much the ground has shifted, another comedy about the killing of a real-world dictator — the Seth Rogen-James Franco film "The Interview" — was pulled from release by Sony Pictures amid an international firestorm without precedent in Hollywood history.

Around the world, everyone from Hustler founder Larry Flynt to President Obama seemed to have an opinion on Sony's action, after a devastating, retaliatory cyber attack on the studio as well as threats to attack movie theaters by hackers from North Korea, according to federal officials. But for one group in particular — the comedy community — the "Interview" debacle hit especially close to home.

Decrying what most seemed to view as a craven act of artistic suppression — and possibly a disturbing portent of things to come — the comedy world took to social media almost en masse.

Late-night TV host Jimmy Kimmel tweeted, "An un-American act of cowardice that validates terrorist actions and sets a terrifying precedent."

"We just gave a comfy foothold to censorship & it doesn't get any better from this point on," actor and comedian Patton Oswalt wrote on Twitter.

The story of a TV reporter (Franco) and producer (Rogen) recruited to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, "The Interview" was initially envisioned by co-directors Rogen and Evan Goldberg as just a silly, over-the-top comedy rather than a hot-button political statement. But now that the film has become the center of a headline-grabbing controversy, many fear the uproar could make it more difficult for anyone trying to do edgy, risky, topical comedy going forward, as studios and television networks fear similar blowback.

"Comedians attack power and corruption and things that feel wrong," says writer-director Judd Apatow, a frequent collaborator of Rogen. "Our community is based on freedom of expression. Are we going to suppress ourselves every time someone posts something online? It's a dark future."

Some wonder whether the "Interview" debacle will result in comedy being steered in a blander direction, away from cutting political satire and toward safer targets. "So Kim Jong Un gets to decide what movies we make?" Jon Stewart said on "The Daily Show."

Not everyone thinks the "Interview" flap will have wide-ranging effect. In comedy clubs, with no studio or television executives looking over their shoulders, stand-up comics may still make biting jokes off the news of the day.

"If I felt that there was an ISIS person in the audience who was gonna behead me after the show, I might not do my ISIS jokes that night," says actor and comedian Andy Kindler. "It could conceivably be frightening to make comments about stuff if you think the comments will make you the target of a terrorist attack. But I just don't think that's gonna happen. People are going to the worst-case scenario."

For the moment, though, North Korea appears to be off the table as a topic for big-screen comedy. After the cancellation of "The Interview," the film company New Regency canceled "Pyongyang," a Steve Carell-starring dark comedy set in North Korea, while Paramount Pictures shut down planned screenings of the 2004 comedy "Team America: World Police," which lampooned former North Korean leader Kim Jong Il.

Hollywood has a long history of tweaking matters of war and global politics, from Charlie Chaplin's 1940 comedy "The Great Dictator," which spoofed Adolf Hitler, to Stanley Kubrick's 1964 Cold War satire "Dr. Strangelove" to Robert Altman's 1970 black comedy "MASH" and beyond.

Abrahams points to 1988's "The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!," which he co-wrote. It opens with various leaders hostile to America — Ayatollah Khomeini, Mikhail Gorbachev, Yasser Arafat, Moammar Kadafi, Fidel Castro and Idi Amin — plotting a terrorist act against the United States. Lt. Frank Drebin (Leslie Nielsen), undercover as a waiter, beats them all up in a flurry of "Three Stooges"-style slapstick and warns, "Don't ever let me catch you guys in America!"

"We just had fun at their expense," Abrahams says. "It was pure fun, and nobody got pissed off."

In Abrahams' mind, comedians have a veritable duty to take on the powerful, a duty that may be undermined if studios and networks, spooked by the prospect of protests or cyber attacks, start backing further away from political satire.

"It would be disappointing if that kind of point of view got shut down before somebody in Hollywood would take a good shot at Vladimir Putin," he says. "He's such a roided-out megalomaniac, he'd be perfect grist for one of those movies. If somebody can't have a laugh at his expense because of all this, that would be sad."

That kind of chilling effect could also extend to late-night talk shows, which routinely feature topical jokes as part of the hosts' opening monologues.

"I doubt there'll be an effect on what's written for late-night monologues — gag writers are an untethered, scattershot bunch — but there may be an effect on what's chosen," says Andrew Nicholls, formerly Johnny Carson's head writer on NBC's "The Tonight Show." "I don't know how the various front offices [of TV networks] will cope with the fear of retaliation. You haven't seen a lot of Mohammed comedies lately."

Back in the clubs, stand-up comic Rick Overton, for one, says he won't allow his own brand of political and social comedy to be stifled.

"Since the North Korean hacking scandal, we are experiencing reverse McCarthyism, because now Commies are calling the shots," he says. "If the [hackers'] purpose is to disrupt one's regular routine, then my individual act of rebellion is to do what I do — to change nothing."

Staff writer Amy Kaufman contributed to this story.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...ry.html#page=1
post #98698 of 98697 Unread Today, 03:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post
I'm thinking of getting an antenna, but since OTAs are also stuffed with commercials I'd probably use it three or four times a year (Most likely during events such as the Superbowl, Olympics, and the Macys and Rose Parades). In my town Basic Cable was $65.00 a month in January of 2007. Trust me that $65.00 a month buys shows on Home Video, lots and lots of them. In the eight years since "Cutting the Cord" I've acquired DVDs, Blu-Rays and even good old-fashioned VHSs of over 800 TV Series, along with over 2,500 Movies and over 1,500 hours of Serials and Documentaries. As you can see, I won't be subscribing to a Pay-TV service anytime soon, since I have no need to have such a service. Right now I'm scoping out the stores (Both B&M and Online) to decide what I'm going to spend my "Santa Money" on. Merry Christmas to all of my AVS Buddies, and I hope Santa gives all of you the things on your list that you need.
For $70 a month I get all the FiOS HD programming, NFL Redzone HD, and all the HD premium channels except HBO and Starz. They really make it so it's hard to drop a Tv subscription. Since if I dropped my Tv subscription I would easily need to close to twice that much each month to watch everything I wanted to.

And since i have all four services through Verizon they really give you a good discount. I had dropped my phone service years ago, but it ended up be cheaper to add it back then to continue without having it.
Nayan likes this.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; Today at 03:09 PM.
post #98699 of 98697 Unread Today, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
TV Notes
No duPont Awards for broadcast networks
By Media Life Magazine Staff - Dec. 21, 2013

Earlier this month, when the Golden Globe nominations were announced, the broadcast networks were nearly shut out.

And while a handful of broadcast shows earned drama nominations, cable still dominated.

That’s apparently a sign of the times.

At the Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Awards last week,..
http://www.medialifemagazine.com/no-...cast-networks/

Wow. That's quite a trick, using the Golden Globes to sing the praises of "cable" even when reporting on the completely different duPont awards.

If you actually look at the full list of the award winners for that news award, you will see that only one of the 14 winners (CNN) is a cable TV network.
So, I wouldn't say cable news has much to crow about.

The big winners were public broadcasting (TV and radio) and some local stations that hold commercial TV broadcasting licenses.

There is also a newspaper and some web-only sites.

Nearly all of it is available without a cable TV subscription!

So, just because the news divisions of ABC, CBS, and NBC did not win anything, that's no reason to sing the praises of cable TV.

http://www.journalism.columbia.edu/p...rd-winners/986
post #98700 of 98697 Unread Today, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I think you are taking that article out of context. It only mentioned "cable" once, and that was for dramas. For news, it only said it was the first time ever that the networks got no awards.

Quote:
Wow. That's quite a trick, using the Golden Globes to sing the praises of "cable" even when reporting on the completely different duPont awards.

If you actually look at the full list of the award winners for that news award, you will see that only one of the 14 winners (CNN) is a cable TV network.
So, I wouldn't say cable news has much to crow about.

The big winners were public broadcasting (TV and radio) and some local stations that hold commercial TV broadcasting licenses.

There is also a newspaper and some web-only sites.

Nearly all of it is available without a cable TV subscription!

So, just because the news divisions of ABC, CBS, and NBC did not win anything, that's no reason to sing the praises of cable TV.

http://www.journalism.columbia.edu/p...rd-winners/986
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page