AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
"full freight".
That's just a phrase, not a finite term, but I suspect you know that.

Cheers, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #98672 of 98680 Unread Today, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
Another analog is that we all pay gas tax for highway maintenance, but who tears up the roads more, my little Prius or someone's huge 18-wheeler? Shouldn't they pay more? And if they do via the tax on diesel fuel, then all those with small diesel-powered cars/trucks pay the same as those 18-wheelers, fair?
I think most if not all states have weight fees for registering heavy vehicles. This is supposed to pay for the damage caused by heavy vehicles. I have no idea if it the fees fully capture the costs, but they are fairly hefty.
DrDon and DoubleDAZ like this.
post #98673 of 98680 Unread Today, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Well, back before cable TV and satellite TV, back when there was only OTA, were people who watched a show and bought the advertiser's product complaining about people who watched the show but did not buy the advertiser's product?

I mean, were there a lot of Milton Berle fans who were miffed at people who watched Uncle Miltie but did not visit the Texaco Man?

Why is everybody nowadays so worried that somebody else might get a free ride?
post #98674 of 98680 Unread Today, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Well, back before cable TV and satellite TV, back when there was only OTA, were people who watched a show and bought the advertiser's product complaining about people who watched the show but did not buy the advertiser's product?

I mean, were there a lot of Milton Berle fans who were miffed at people who watched Uncle Miltie but did not visit the Texaco Man?

OK DoubleDAZ, in sense I still pay for my programming, about half of what a cable subscription does. For the record veedon I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for "Freebies" about 1/4 of the movies in my mammoth collection were acquired at garage sales, I bought one or two movies, and the proprietar of the sale let me have the entire contents. I once acquired over 40 movies and two mini-series for free because they were lying at the curb waiting for the garbage truck to take them away (Yes, I got permission from the owner to take them away!). One man's trash IS another mans treasure! My favorite freebies aren't videos, they're airline tickets. Whenever I'm sitting in a terminal waiting to board a plane the words "This flight is overbooked" is MUSIC to my ears. Twelve times I've snagged a free ticket by volunteering to give up my seat in exchange for a later flight On three of these occaisions I also got a free stay at an airport hotel as well as a free dinner and a free breakfast in addition to the ducat. On two other occaisions I didn't get a free ticket, but got the next-best thing instead, a first-class upgrade!
DoubleDAZ likes this.
post #98675 of 98680 Unread Today, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Who said anyone was worried about someone getting a free ride? I'm all for it if it suits your needs, I wish it suited mine. Just understand that if everyone did it, the TV landscape would be quite different and they're always developing new ways to make you pay to keep the model working. Like anything else, this current TV model only works if there are enough willing to pay. Look at what's happening to highway taxes now that so many have efficient cars and demand is down, they want to tax miles driven. The current highway tax system only works as long as enough are paying enough to keep it going. Heck, I think OTA stations are even trying to come up with a way to make you pay for OTA reception.

Cheers, Dave
post #98676 of 98680 Unread Today, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post
OK DoubleDAZ, in sense I still pay for my programming, about half of what a cable subscription does.
Are you really spending that much? That seems like an awful lot for a cord-cutter without Netflix, etc. I would have expected it to be much less, but then I would have assumed most viewing was OTA.

Cheers, Dave
post #98677 of 98680 Unread Today, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
Who said anyone was worried about someone getting a free ride? I'm all for it if it suits your needs, I wish it suited mine. Just understand that if everyone did it, the TV landscape would be quite different and they're always developing new ways to make you pay to keep the model working. ... Heck, I think OTA stations are even trying to come up with a way to make you pay for OTA reception.
Well, consumers may finally be deciding that frugality trumps having it all. There may no longer be a desire for so many channels, especially channels that have departed from their original premises.

The programming executives and the MVPD's have had a long time to look at costs and to look at the average income of American households and to take some steps to reduce the costs of service. They have refused to do so, so now consumers are looking for other alternatives.
post #98678 of 98680 Unread Today, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
SUNDAY
DECEMBER 21

BIANCULLI’S BEST BETS

THE SOUND OF MUSIC: SING-A-LONG
ABC, 7:00 p.m. ET

Last night, NBC repeated its 2013 Sound of Music Live! television adaptation of the Rodgers and Hammerstein classic musical, starring Carrie Underwood. Tonight, ABC trumps that, and wins the holiday pot, by rebroadcasting the 1965 movie version of that same Broadway musical. This one, of course, stars Julie Andrews, and doesn’t require a spoonful of sugar to swallow it. It arrives plenty sweet enough as is.

LONE SURVIVOR
HBO, 7:55 p.m. ET

In this fact-based 2013 war drama, four Navy SEALS are stuck in the mountains of Afghanistan, isolated from reinforcements, when their routine-sounding mission devolves into an unexpected battle against a veritable army of Taliban fighters. Peter Berg directed and is co-writer, and the stars include Mark Wahlberg and Taylor Kitsch. The latter, of course, worked with Berg before, on the TV version of Friday Night Lights. But don’t get too attached to both of these leading roles, because the title doesn’t bode well.

TREASURES FROM THE DISNEY VAULT
TCM, 8:00 p.m. ET

Here’s an exciting new occasional offering from TCM: dipping into the Disney vault for vintage treasures, just like they used to do on The Mickey Mouse Show. Tonight’s dip into the Disney archives begins at 8 p.m. ET with a trio of vintage shorts, starting with 1932’s Santa’s Workshop. At 8:30 p.m. ET comes 1954’s The Disneyland Story, the preview for the still-under-construction California theme park, which opened Disney’s cannily cross-promotional ABC series Disneyland. And at 11 p.m. ET – pay attention, Baby Boomers – TCM presents Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier, a movie compilation of episodes, starring Fess Parker, made for the Disneyland series as one of television’s first miniseries. And stay up late, or set your recorders, for 12:45 a.m. ET, when the evening continues with 1954’s The Vanishing Prairie, one of those early Disney nature films that, while unabashedly manipulative in its storytelling and editing, probably had as much to do with the birth of the environmental movement as Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring.

HOMELAND
Showtime, 9:00 p.m. ET

SEASON FINALE: You’ve got to give credit to this season’s villain, Haqqani, for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but with the right human shield to protect him. First it was Saul, whose presence prevented Haqqani from being obliterated by a bomb strike. Then, last week, it was Carrie, whose presence at the scene of Quinn’s planned bombing of Haqqani’s vehicle allowed him to drive away unscathed from that potential assassination as well. But the person Carrie saw in the back of Haqqani’s car – that means trouble, and leads to the climactic confrontation back home in the States. It’s been a very strong, rebounding season, so this is one to make an effort to watch.

THE AFFAIR
Showtime, 10:00 p.m. ET

SEASON FINALE: Whether you watch this season finale depends upon how drawn you’ve been by the interlocking, often contradictory love story that, by tonight’s episode, takes back seat to a detective story. Whether the questions are answered to your satisfaction will depend – on both what you’re expecting, and how the show delivers.

post #98679 of 98680 Unread Today, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 182
About cutting the cable which I did over a year ago and haven't looked back, I am on the bandwagon to get content providers to lets us "rent" rather than "own" a series. They could probably charge 1/2 to 1/3 the price just to rent an episode for 24 or 48 hours. I have a bunch of series on the cloud "I own" that I may never watch another episode of again. And of course they could keep the "own" option too for those that want to own a season.
post #98680 of 98680 Unread Today, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, consumers may finally be deciding that frugality trumps having it all. There may no longer be a desire for so many channels, especially channels that have departed from their original premises.

The programming executives and the MVPD's have had a long time to look at costs and to look at the average income of American households and to take some steps to reduce the costs of service. They have refused to do so, so now consumers are looking for other alternatives.
I don't know that there's ever been a desire for as many channels as we have, they've simply been forced upon us by cable/sat and we complain while still paying our bills. I look back at my old bills where I had to pay for each outlet, didn't have a DVR, etc., and I think cable is actually a pretty good deal today. I watch a lot of TV, though I could certainly do without much of it if I had too, but it's just not worth cutting my TV bill in half to do so. Many of us probably don't even know what our "TV" bill is, we just look at our "cable" bill and complain. I think it's actually worse that we pay so much for internet service. I have no problem with a channel changing their focus, I can turn it off and watch something else.

Cheers, Dave
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page