AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
"full freight".
That's just a phrase, not a finite term, but I suspect you know that.

Cheers, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #98672 of 98676 Unread Today, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
Another analog is that we all pay gas tax for highway maintenance, but who tears up the roads more, my little Prius or someone's huge 18-wheeler? Shouldn't they pay more? And if they do via the tax on diesel fuel, then all those with small diesel-powered cars/trucks pay the same as those 18-wheelers, fair?
I think most if not all states have weight fees for registering heavy vehicles. This is supposed to pay for the damage caused by heavy vehicles. I have no idea if it the fees fully capture the costs, but they are fairly hefty.
DoubleDAZ likes this.
post #98673 of 98676 Unread Today, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Well, back before cable TV and satellite TV, back when there was only OTA, were people who watched a show and bought the advertiser's product complaining about people who watched the show but did not buy the advertiser's product?

I mean, were there a lot of Milton Berle fans who were miffed at people who watched Uncle Miltie but did not visit the Texaco Man?

Why is everybody nowadays so worried that somebody else might get a free ride?
post #98674 of 98676 Unread Today, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Well, back before cable TV and satellite TV, back when there was only OTA, were people who watched a show and bought the advertiser's product complaining about people who watched the show but did not buy the advertiser's product?

I mean, were there a lot of Milton Berle fans who were miffed at people who watched Uncle Miltie but did not visit the Texaco Man?

OK DoubleDAZ, in sense I still pay for my programming, about half of what a cable subscription does. For the record veedon I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for "Freebies" about 1/4 of the movies in my mammoth collection were acquired at garage sales, I bought one or two movies, and the proprietar of the sale let me have the entire contents. I once acquired over 40 movies and two mini-series for free because they were lying at the curb waiting for the garbage truck to take them away (Yes, I got permission from the owner to take them away!). One man's trash IS another mans treasure! My favorite freebies aren't videos, they're airline tickets. Whenever I'm sitting in a terminal waiting to board a plane the words "This flight is overbooked" is MUSIC to my ears. Twelve times I've snagged a free ticket by volunteering to give up my seat in exchange for a later flight On three of these occaisions I also got a free stay at an airport hotel as well as a free dinner and a free breakfast in addition to the ducat. On two other occaisions I didn't get a free ticket, but got the next-best thing instead, a first-class upgrade!
DoubleDAZ likes this.
post #98675 of 98676 Unread Today, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Who said anyone was worried about someone getting a free ride? I'm all for it if it suits your needs, I wish it suited mine. Just understand that if everyone did it, the TV landscape would be quite different and they're always developing new ways to make you pay to keep the model working. Like anything else, this current TV model only works if there are enough willing to pay. Look at what's happening to highway taxes now that so many have efficient cars and demand is down, they want to tax miles driven. The current highway tax system only works as long as enough are paying enough to keep it going. Heck, I think OTA stations are even trying to come up with a way to make you pay for OTA reception.

Cheers, Dave
post #98676 of 98676 Unread Today, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post
OK DoubleDAZ, in sense I still pay for my programming, about half of what a cable subscription does.
Are you really spending that much? That seems like an awful lot for a cord-cutter without Netflix, etc. I would have expected it to be much less, but then I would have assumed most viewing was OTA.

Cheers, Dave
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page