Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 3315 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 881Likes
post #99421 of 99449 Old Yesterday, 04:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 214
TV Notes
SAG Awards TV: Hourlong Series Sweep Drama & Comedy Races, Netflix Rises, Viola Davis Scores Freshman Win
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Jan. 27, 2015

What does a half-hour comedy series need to do to win a comedy SAG Award these days? That was the question posed by this year’s awards, which snubbed what had been considered comedies for decades in favor of genre-bending hourlong series that straddle the worlds of drama and comedy. The three comedy series SAG Awards went to Netflix’s Orange Is The New Black (best ensemble, actress Uzo Aduba) and Showtime’s Shameless (actor William H. Macy).

These were the first SAG Awards nominations for the two shows in their first season competing as comedy series. Netflix and Showtime made the controversial category switch last spring, going into the Emmy Awards. For Shameless, it came after the series competed as a drama for the first three seasons to very little awards attention. For Orange, the change was made after a run as a drama yielded only a Golden Globe nom.

The completed domination of the comedy field by drama series with comedy elements tonight will likely reignite the debate whether the TV Academy needs to better redefine the comedy category.

Among the actors in half-hour comedies that lost out to Macy tonight was Jim Parsons, still in search of his first SAG Award. It is a head-scratcher — the Big Bang Theory star has now won four Emmys for his showy role on the biggest show on television but is yet to get a recognition from his peers.

And Orange ended Modern Family‘s four-year streak as best comedy ensemble as the acclaimed ABC comedy was left empty-handed.

A big leap for Netflix, from three nominations last year to three wins tonight to top the network list — two for Orange and one for House Of Cards (drama actor Kevin Spacey).

HBO was second, taking home both long-form categories, for Mark Ruffalo (The Normal Heart) and Frances McDormand (Olive Kitteridge). It was a first award for both for their HBO movies. For Ruffalo, it came at the very end of The Normal Heart‘s awards cycle, so this makes up for previous snubs, while Olive Kitteridge is yet to compete at the Emmys.

The drama winners were all over the place. With no big frontrunner like last year’s Breaking Bad, the actors guild went with old favorite — 2013 winner Downton Abbey repeating as best ensemble — and a newcomer — How To Get Away With Murder‘s Viola Davis.

While the SAGs failed to nominate three first-year shows that triumphed at the Golden Globes, Amazon’s Transparent, Showtime’s The Affair and the CW’s Jane The Virgin, they still awarded a freshman in HTGAWM‘s Davis in her first major recognition for the twisty murder mystery.

On a night where there were no black nominees on the film side, it was nice to see Davis, Aduba and the diverse cast of Orange onstage, a recognition of the fact that television offers more, flashier, award-worthy roles for minority actors right now.

HTGAWM and Downton Abbey held the flag for broadcast TV, which was shut out until the very last two categories.

It’s hard to believe but HBO’s True Detective ended its awards run without a single major acting nod for its A-list leading duo of Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. Did they split the vote by competing against each other in every race? In their final ceremony for the broody HBO cop show, they saw the drama actor SAG Award go to House Of Cards‘ Spacey, his first for the Netflix political drama.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/sag-tv-a...is-1201358549/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #99422 of 99449 Old Yesterday, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Review
‘Arthur: Fountain Abbey’
PBS Kids' lovable animated aardvark has fun with the upstairs/downstairs theme of 'Downton Abbey'
By David Hinckley, New York Daily News - Jan. 26, 2014

PBS has found a charming way to cross-promote “Downton Abbey” to a demographic that goes to bed long before “Downton” hits the air.

Monday’s new episode of “Arthur,” a PBS Kids show that stars an aardvark, is called “Fountain Abbey,” gently playing off the stately mansion and the sometimes less-than-stately characters who inhabit it.

In this episode, Arthur’s friend Muffy learns her great-great-grandmother lived at Fountain Abbey, an old British estate that looks exactly like Highclere Castle, the setting of “Downton Abbey.”

Muffy assumes this makes her a princess and begins treating her family and friends in ways that the haughtiest of “Downton” dowagers would never consider.

It’s hilarious, particularly because it doesn’t last long enough to wear out the jokes. Like most shows for young kids, “Arthur” only runs 10-15 minutes per story — a cue you often wish some prime-time shows would take.

In any case, Muffy’s balloon deflates quickly when she finds a diary and realizes her great-great-grandmother was a maid.

But wait! Her friends keep reading and they discover the truth is somewhere between princess and maid, with an ending that cheers Muffy right up.

You didn’t really expect a depressing ending, did you?

The trappings of the show may not mean that much to kids who haven’t seen the original, but they’re fun for grownups who have.

The setup shots, the re-creation of the rooms, the music, the characters and the tone are clearly the work of fans.

“Arthur” has tackled adult turf before, with parodies on “The Sopranos,” “Oprah,” “Law & Order” and other shows. Like those, this will amuse adults while not puzzling “Arthur” fans. Too much.

'Arthur: Fountain Abbey'
Network/Air Date: Monday at 12:30 p.m., Ch. 21 (Check Local Listings)
Rating: ★★★ (out of five)

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2089837
post #99423 of 99449 Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Thirty Years of Thundercats: Five Things You Don't Know About the Cartoon
By Chris Barnes, HuffingtonPost.com - Jan. 23, 2015

Today marks the 30th anniversary of the ThunderCats television show debuting on television. Along with He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, G.I. Joe and The Transformers, the series and its accompanying toy line were popular with boys (and their cool sisters) who grew up in the 1980s.

From first sight (or as ThunderCats leader Lion-O would say, "sight beyond sight") I was hooked. The series' premise is ridiculously simple: A small group of survivors from the dead planet Thundera arrive onto the planet Third Earth. From there they encounter all kinds of new characters: the cute robot-bears the Berbils, the enigmatic galactic samurai Hachiman and the evil mummy Mumm-Ra, who would become the lead villain of the series.

And I know that I wasn't the only one. Thirty years later we still see people wearing clothes with art from the series. Family Guy has made countless references to the show. Nelly and Diddy even rap about the show in the song "Shake Ya Tailfeather."

So for today, take a few minutes out of your day to scream the ThunderCats' battle cry "ThunderCats ho!" and watch clips of their long-suffering and somewhat annoying friend Snarf as a way to remember your childhood. Here are five things that we learned about the ThunderCats.

The ThunderCats are related to Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: In a weird kind of way, this is true. The original concept of ThunderCats -- cat-like people -- was created by Ted Wolf back in 1981. This idea was then pitched to the television production company Rankin-Bass (who brought us Rudolph and Frosty the Snow Man, among other classic holiday television specials) for development into the cartoon show that we wound up seeing. Several people were involved in shaping the property, including designer Mike Germakian, who came up with the logo and many of the character designs, and cartoonist Leondard Starr who is responsible for writing several key episodes and the series bible, which explains the characters, their world and everything in it. You can actually view the original press kit here.

The show featured a visually impaired hero: In 1986 the character of Lynx-O was introduced to the world of ThunderCats. What made him unique wasn't the fact that he was another feline hero but the fact that he was blind. According to the television show, he lost his sight in a fiery accident, but that didn't stop him. Lynx-O was portrayed as being not only one of the wiser Thundercats but one of the better combatants. He also introduced children of the 1980s to the Braille writing system; the characters used something called a "braille board" to not only read and use computers but pilot the flying ThunderStrike vehicle.

That voice sounds familiar: If you ever wondered if the character voices on ThunderCats sounded similar, you were right. Led by Larry Kenney (the voice of Lion-O), the voice acting throughout the series was handled pretty much by eight different actors. Earle Hyman, who voiced the gruff weapons master Panthro, was an extremely busy actor in the 1980s, also playing the Emmy Award-nominated role of the grandfather Russell Huxtable on The Cosby Show.

Are the toys worth anything? Simply put, yes. As the ThunderCats are still popular, the toy line is in high demand with collectors. One of the rarest figures include the Thunder Wings Lion-O, which recently sold for $710.

ThunderCats spin-off: Thanks to the success of the series, Rankin-Bass produced two similar cartoon shows: SilverHawks, a team of space-dwelling cyborgs who fight a crime ring in outer space, and TigerSharks, amphibious heroes who protect the planet Water-O. Neither was a direct spin-off of ThunderCats, but they were animated in the same style and had many of the same writers as well as voice actors.

In 2011 there was a darker remake of the ThunderCats on Cartoon Network that acknowledged that the characters of both TigerSharks and SilverHawks exist in the same universe as the ThunderCats. As for the relaunch, it lasted for one season before being cancelled along with its accompanying toy line.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-...p_ref=tv&ir=TV
post #99424 of 99449 Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
MONDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)

ABC:
8PM - The Bachelor (120 min.)
10:01PM - Castle
(R - Oct. 13)
11:35PM - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Channing Tatum; NFL player J.J. Watt; ZZ Top performs)
12:37AM - Nightline

CBS:
8PM - Super Bowl's Greatest Commercials 2015
9PM - Scorpion
(R - Nov. 3)
9:59PM - NCIS: Los Angeles
(R - Oct. 13)
11:35AM - Late Show with David Letterman (Louis CK; The Lone Bellow performs)
12:37AM - The Late Late Show (Regis Philbin guest hosts; Martin Short; Susan Sarandon; Alan Alda; Tony Danza)

NBC:
8PM - The Celebrity Apprentice (120 min.)
10PM - State of Affairs
11:34PM - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Bradley Cooper; singer Harry Connick Jr.; Big K.R.I.T. performs with Raphael Saadiq and The Roots)
(R - Jan. 5)
12:36AM - Late Night with Seth Meyers (Jessica Lange; Molly Sims; TV hosts Men in Blazers; Maya Rudolph sits in with the band)
(R - Jan. 6)
1:37AM - Last Call with Carson Daly (Megan Boone; alternative band Self; podcast Who Charted)
(R - Sep. 24)

FOX:
8PM - Gotham
9PM - Sleepy Hollow

PBS:
(check your local listing for starting time/programming)
8PM - Antiques Roadshow: Austin
9PM - Antiques Roadshow: San Jose
(R - May 24, 2010)
10PM - Independent Lens: A Path Appears (Part 1 of 3, 90 min.)

UNIVISION:
8PM - Mi Corazón Es Tuyo
9PM - Hasta El Fin del Mundo
10PM - Que te Perdone Dios... Yo No

THE CW:
8PM - The Originals
9PM - Jane The Virgin

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - Los Miserables
9PM - Tierra de Reyes
10PM - Dueños del Paraíso

COMEDY CENTRAL:
11PM - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Julian Castro)
11:31PM - The Nightly Show With Larry Wilmore
12:01AM - At Midnight (Ken Marino; John Gemberling; Tymberlee Hill)

TBS:
11PM - Conan (Ellar Coltrane; Jukebox the Ghost performs)

Last edited by dad1153; Yesterday at 01:26 PM.
post #99425 of 99449 Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
I'm strictly OTA but can't overstate how potentially huge this thing is. This is potentially Napster for the satellite/ cable co industry unless they start to figure this out and I'm extremely leery as to what the final outcome will be once the dust settles. I know of at least 10 people that are salivating and will be cutting the cord once this service starts and that's not even considering word of mouth and the news blitz that'll encourage & push more people to try it out.

Maybe it's time I seriously consider one of those ridiculous long term ISP contract price lock guarantees.

Interesting times....
This is a step in the right direction. After spending the last eight years without Pay-TV (And blabbing about it) I'm resting my case. I have some good news and some bad news to report. The good news is I'm actually considering to jump on this bandwagon, since I'll have access to the ESPN Channels along with HGTV. (I only watch the latter once a year (January 1) because they televise the Tournament of Roses Parade WITHOUT COMMERCIALS!)

Now the bad news, I'll have to wait until Spring to subscribe, because this past October my Lawnmower died, and I'm currently saving up for a new one.

PS, if I subscribe I'll once again have to contend with commercials, but I can hook my computer to my TV set, and my RC has a 'Mute" switch!

Last edited by borntocoast; Yesterday at 10:04 AM.
post #99426 of 99449 Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Sling TV looks to liven up streaming video party
By Mike Snider, USA Today - Jan. 26, 2015

Sling TV is ready to hit the "On" button.

The Internet-delivered subscription video service from satellite TV provider Dish Network will begin official operations Tuesday. The first invites start going out at 12 a.m. ET Tuesday to customers who preregistered on Sling.com.

Everyone else has to wait, but they will get a free one-week trial when the service opens to all customers within the next two weeks. Consumers who don't have one of the supported Net TV devices such as an Amazon Fire or Roku device can sign up on Sling.com to order a device as part of a subscription package (prices to be announced).

Sling TV is an important advance in the streaming Net TV marketplace because wraps up some popular live, linear feeds of basic cable channels such as ESPN and CNN that previously were not available outside of traditional pay-TV packages. Most live streaming sports and news apps require viewers to enter passwords from their pay-TV accounts to authenticate that they pay for at-home service.

Another differentiator for Sling TV is that you pay on a month-to-month basis ($20 monthly for the basic lineup). Pay-TV subscriptions often require long-term contracts of up to two years.

Those long commitments and the growing cost of pay TV has led some younger consumers to shy away from pay TV -- and some long-time pay-TV subscribers to "cut the cord" and rely on growing Net TV video offerings as their viewing source.

For those unfamiliar with Net TV, the most popular streaming subscription services such as Netflix and Amazon Instant Video offer mostly on-demand TV episodes and movies that don't become available until after a network TV series season runs its course. Hulu Plus, while it makes episodes available after airing from ABC, NBC and Fox and other channels, is far from all-inclusive.

I've been exploring Sling TV over the last few days as one of many journalists and reviewers that Sling TV let have early access to the service.

Sling TV is easy to use. For starters, you need a robust broadband internet connection -- Netflix recommends 5 megabits per second for HD quality.

You download the Sling TV app onto your device whether it's an Android or iOS tablet or a Net TV device such as an Amazon Fire or Roku device connected to your TV or Xbox One video game system. Some smart TVs from LG and Samsung also will have the app.

For early testers such as myself, Sling TV supplied a Roku 3 device to download the app. I connected the Roku 3 to my home Internet service – it works wirelessly but I connected via Ethernet to my home powerline Internet network – and, with an HDMI cable to my TV.

After updating my Roku software, the Sling TV channel app appeared and I selected it and was perusing its offerings in minutes.

Sling TV's interface is very intuitive and easy to surf. Scroll left and right to check the channel lineup. In this case, the 12 basic channels and several additional ones such as Disney XD and Cooking Channel that are part of the kids and news & info extra programming packages ($5 each monthly). An as-yet-unannounced sports extra package will include additional ESPN channels beyond ESPN 2, which is part of the standard Sling TV lineup.

As you highlight a channel, upcoming programs are shown and past episodes, if available, appear, too. For instance, the Food Network had more than a dozen on-demand episodes of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives among programs that had aired in the last three days. Similarly, Travel Channel had recent episodes of shows including Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations and Booze Traveler.

Sling TV plans to expand its on-demand catalog, and there's movie rentals for titles such as Guardians of the Galaxy, Jimi: All Is By My Side and Humbling (prices rung about $5-$8 for HD quality).

The video quality on CNN and ESPN doesn't match the quality I get on Verizon FiOS TV, but it is certainly watchable.

A nit: you cannot pause video on some channels including CNN and ESPN (I assume that could be added to all channels eventually.)

But for consumers looking to downsize their pay-TV bill -- and want to keep tabs on live sports and news -- Sling TV could serve as the foundation for a solid and sensible streaming alternative to today's cable and satellite mega-bundles.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...view/22330315/
post #99427 of 99449 Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 124
They should move cause new years eve is a terrible day for those games.

ESPN, NFL lobby for changes in College Football Playoff calendar
By John Ourand & Michael Smith, Staff Writers
Published January 26, 2015

The College Football Playoff is under pressure on two fronts to adjust future schedules for its semifinals and championship games, sources say, but the CFP is standing firm on its original dates.

On one of those fronts, top ESPN executives are lobbying CFP officials to move next season’s semifinals off of New Year’s Eve where it would compete with highly rated star-filled countdown shows on several networks.

Next season’s semifinals at the Capital One Orange Bowl and the Goodyear Cotton Bowl are scheduled for Dec. 31 but ESPN is pushing the CFP to move those games to Jan. 2, 2016, a Saturday with relatively little competition on TV. The NFL’s regular season concludes that Sunday, Jan. 3, and the league hasn’t had a Saturday game during the final week of its regular season since 2007.

Sources say that senior network executives as high up as ESPN President John Skipper are pushing for the change as a way to get better television ratings, but the CFP is unwilling to make such a move because it is committed to the original plan to hold tripleheader bowl games, including the semifinals, on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.

“We’ve started a new tradition and we don’t want to back away from it now,” said Bill Hancock, the CFP’s executive director.

Meanwhile, the CFP is facing pressure on another front. The NFL is considering expanding its playoffs and moving one of the new games to Monday night when it would compete directly with the CFP championship.

Sources say NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell initiated a series of high-level meetings with some of the CFP’s most influential commissioners, including the SEC’s Mike Slive and the Big Ten’s Jim Delany. Goodell approached the commissioners to discuss the potential impact an NFL playoff expansion would have on the CFP championship game.

The 10 FBS commissioners and Notre Dame Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick make up the management council that oversees the College Football Playoff.

If the NFL ends up expanding the number of teams that make its postseason, the league would need two more TV windows to account for the new games. In separate meetings, Goodell told the college commissioners that any playoff expansion likely would put a wild-card game on Monday night, sources said.

The CFP’s 12-year contract with ESPN calls for the title game to be played on a Monday night, typically the second Monday in January. The last three BCS championship games also were played on those Monday nights in January, dating to 2011. Similarly, college basketball’s men’s championship game is played on a Monday night in April.

Hancock said his office has voiced its opposition to putting an NFL playoff game against the CFP championship on Monday night.

“We picked Monday night because it was open and it was the best night for our game. We announced that in June 2012,” Hancock said. “We established that our game was going to be on Monday night for 12 years.”

A Monday night wild-card playoff game would run up against the CFP championship game for at least another two years. Later this year, the CFP will finalize championship sites beyond 2017, and Hancock said they are committed to holding the championship games on Monday nights, as outlined in its contract with ESPN.

Just last week, Pittsburgh Steelers President Art Rooney II told The Associated Press that it does not appear likely the playoffs would expand next season. But league officials have been wanting to add at least two teams to the playoffs for several years, and sources say a plan still could be worked out.

In the middle of the dispute is broadcaster ESPN, which owns rights to both the CFP and the NFL’s regular-season “Monday Night Football” series.

ESPN’s CFP contract mandates that the games are carried on ESPN — not ESPN2 or ESPNU, sources say. Plus, cable sources say that some of ESPN’s affiliate deals contain language that would prohibit the network from putting either the CFP championship or an NFL playoff game on ABC.

The NFL almost certainly would not allow one of its playoff games to move to ESPN2.

Still, the NFL could sell a Monday night playoff game to another network. A media industry source suggested that the NFL could look into packaging the new wild-card playoff games with its “Thursday Night Football” package beginning with the 2016 season. CBS last week signed a deal to keep that package for 2015.

“If it comes down to this, the fans would be the losers if they had to choose,” Hancock said. “That would be a shame.”

Whether the NFL expands its postseason and puts a playoff game opposite the CFP championship remains to be seen, but the CFP is holding its ground against the idea of moving its semifinals to Jan. 2 next season.

The move to Jan. 2 is attractive to ESPN because that Saturday is relatively free of big events, limiting the amount of competition the college games would face. Sources said ESPN is lobbying for the CFP to make the move only for the coming season.

“The timing works out for us next year,” said one source with direct knowledge of the talks.

The CFP semifinals on New Year’s Day already proved their ability to attract viewers. The semifinals — played at the Allstate Sugar Bowl and the Rose Bowl presented by Northwestern Mutual — each drew more than 28 million viewers. At the time, they were the two most-viewed programs in cable TV history.

The CFP championship game on Jan. 12 averaged 33.4 million viewers, becoming the first show in cable TV history to top 30 million viewers. Privately, ESPN insiders say they are prepared for double-digit drops in viewership if the semifinals remain on New Year’s Eve.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...tions/CFP.aspx

post #99428 of 99449 Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Jan. 26, 2015

GOTHAM
Fox, 8:00 p.m. ET

The future Commissioner Gordon and the future Penguin won’t have many chances for amiable sit-downs in years to come – but in tonight’s episode, during an hour that finds Fish Mooney in grave, if well-deserved, danger, they do precisely that.

BELLE DE JOUR
TCM, 8:00 p.m. ET

Luis Buñuel directed this 1967 film, which, like most of his movies throughout a long and influential career, contains images not quickly to be forgotten. But this time, most of the images surround Catherine Deneuve, the actress caught here at her most beautiful – but caught, also, as a character whose marriage is so unfulfilling that she decides to pursue a side career as a daytime prostitute. Buñuel shows her fantasies as well as her new realities, and there’s something disturbing about all of it.

JANE THE VIRGIN
The CW, 9:00PM

Guess who’s coming to dinner? In tonight’s new episode, Jane (Gina Rodriguez) brings the biological father of her child home to meet the family – which, given the genesis of this particular pregnancy, makes for some very chilly conversation.

NIGHT WILL FALL
HBO, 9:00 p.m. ET

Near the end of WWII, Sidney Bernstein of the British government’s Ministry of Information was given the task of assembling a film from footage shot by his cameramen, and footage from other sources and countries as well, that would document the Nazi concentration camp atrocities. After the war, Alfred Hitchcock offered his help in both the content and construction of the film, but the film – German Concentration Camps Factual Survey – was neither fully completed nor distributed and widely shown. Yet its invaluable footage played a key part in the subsequent war crimes trials, and an incomplete version, missing the final reel, was restored and shown in the 1980s. But now, a new assemblage of what would have been the sixth and final reel, based on the filmmakers’ original notes, has been completed – and Night Will Fall is the story of this film footage’s 70-year-old journey. It’s tough to watch, but very important, and also includes some stunning color film of the camps, shot by U.S. Army cameramen in 1945.

INDEPENDENT LENS: "A PATH APPEARS"
PBS, 10:00 p.m. ET
MINISERIES PREMIERE:
A Path Appears is a three-part documentary series which looks at tough problems, but also profiles and offers potential solutions, using empathic celebrities, and New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof, as attention-getting guides. Tonight’s Part 1 looks at sex trafficking – but, quite pointedly, focuses on the United States, looking at the problem, and how to combat it, in Boston, Nashville, and Chicago. It’s very heartening – and, quite often, remarkably honest. Check local listings.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/
post #99429 of 99449 Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

SUNDAY's fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings -and what they mean- have been posted on Analyst Marc Berman's Media Insights' Blog.
post #99430 of 99449 Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nielsen Overnights (18-49)
NBC’s Miss Universe surges on new night
Pageant averages a 2.0 in 18-49s, top show on a very slow night
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Jan. 26, 2015

It’s remarkable how much better a special can do when it moves from low-rated Saturday to Sunday.

NBC’s Miss Universe pageant posted its best rating since 2009 last night, averaging a 2.0 adults 18-49 rating from 8 to 11 p.m., according to Nielsen overnights.

That was more than double the 0.9 the special posted in its last outing, in November 2013, when it aired on a Saturday evening.

With 7.6 million total viewers, it was the most-watched Miss Universe since 2006.

Against minimal competition on the other broadcast networks, NBC finished as the No. 1 broadcast network Sunday.

Meanwhile, Fox’s comedy lineup struggled without any NFL boost. “The Simpsons” (1.4) and “Family Guy” (1.6) both fell to season lows, and all the network’s shows were off by at least 20 percent.

ABC’s “Galavant” was up week to week by 22 percent for its final back-to-back episodes, drawing a 1.2 and 1.0 at 8 p.m. (Note: An earlier version of this story said “Galavant” slid to series lows. That was incorrect.)

And at 10 p.m., “Revenge” managed a mere 0.9.

NBC was first for the night among 18-49s with a 1.8 average overnight rating and a 5 share. CBS was second at 1.3/4, ABC third at 1.2/3, Fox fourth at 1.1/3, Univision fifth at 0.9/3, and Telemundo sixth at 0.7/2.

As a reminder, all ratings are based on live-plus-same-day DVR playback, which includes shows replayed before 3 a.m. the night before. Seven-day DVR data won’t be available for several weeks. Forty-nine percent of Nielsen households have DVRs.

ABC started the night in the lead with a 1.7 at 7 p.m. for “America’s Funniest Home Videos,” followed by NBC with a 1.2 for “Dateline.” CBS was third with a 1.1 for “60 Minutes.” Univision and Telemundo tied for fourth at 0.6, Univision for “Aqui y Ahora” and Telemundo for “Camino a la Corona.” Fox was sixth with a 0.5 for “Mulaney” (0.4) and a repeat of “Simpsons” (0.7).

At 8 p.m. NBC took the lead with a 1.7 for the first hour of Miss Universe, while CBS moved to second with a 1.5 for “Undercover Boss.” Fox was third with a 1.3 for a new “Simpsons” (1.4) and “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” (1.2), ABC and Univision tied for fourth at 1.1, ABC for “Galavant” and Univision for “Nuestra Belleza Latina,” and Telemundo was sixth with a 0.8 for its coverage of “Miss Universe.”

NBC was first again at 9 p.m. with a 2.0 for Miss Universe, with Fox second with a 1.4 for “Guy” (1.6) and “Bob’s Burgers” (1.2). Univision was third with a 1.3 for more “Latina,” CBS fourth with a 1.2 for a special episode of “CSI,” which tied a series low. ABC placed fifth with a 1.0 for “Resurrection,” and Telemundo sixth with a 0.8 for “Miss Universe.”

At 10 p.m. NBC led with a 2.3 for “Miss Universe,” followed by CBS with a 1.3 for more “CSI.” ABC was third with a 0.9 for “Revenge,” Telemundo fourth with a 0.8 for “Miss Universe” and Univision fifth with a 0.7 for “Sal y Pimienta.”

CBS finished first for the night among households with a 5.4 average overnight rating and a 9 share. NBC was second at 4.5/7, ABC third at 2.8/4, Fox fourth at 1.4/2, Univision fifth at 1.2/2, and Telemundo sixth at 1.0/2.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/nbc...ges-new-night/

TV Notes
So it begins, week of the Super Bowl
It's all anyone will talk about, including on CBS's special
By Louisa Ada Seltzer, Media Life Magazine - Jan. 26, 2015

This week is going to be all about the Super Bowl.

Not a fan? Too bad. It’s best to resign yourself to it and embrace it.

A good way to start is with tonight’s annual CBS special “Super Bowl’s Greatest Commercials,” airing at 8 p.m. and hosted by Boomer Esiason and Katharine McPhee.

The show is exactly what it sounds like, a compilation of the best Super Bowl ads to ever air. This year the network has put a new twist on the idea.

It has divided the best ads into two groups, old school and new school, and invited viewers to vote for their favorite ads.

The choices include old school classics such as Apple’s 1984 ad and Coke’s Mean Joe Greene, as well as new school ones such as Doritos’ Sling Baby and Volkswagen’s The Force, the most-shared Super Bowl ad of all time.

Does the ultimate winner really matter?

No. The fun is in revisiting all the ads again and in building anticipation for this year’s Super Bowl ads, which will air during Sunday’s game on NBC.

The special should draw decent numbers.

Last year it aired on a Wednesday, against Fox’s “American Idol,” and averaged a 1.9 adults 18-49 rating. It won’t face anything stronger than “Idol” tonight.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/so-...he-super-bowl/
post #99431 of 99449 Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Super Bowl: Will Ferrell, Kevin Hart, Ariana Grande Headline ‘Tonight Show’s Post-Game Special
By The Deadline.com Team - Jan. 26, 2015

Will Ferrell, Kevin Hart and Ariana Grande will be guests on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon’s post-Super Bowl telecast this Sunday, from the Orpheum Theater in Phoenix. Grande is set to perform with Tonight Show house band The Roots; Ferrell and Hart are scheduled to go up against Fallon in the ultimate Lip Sync Battle.

Depending on the game, Fallon’s special runs the chance of airing on February 2 in some time zones, given that it’s going to air live coast-to-coast following NBC’s broadcast of Super Bowl XLIX between the New England Patriots and Seattle Seahawks, an original episode of The Blacklist, and the NBC stations’ late local news.

Next week, Monday through Thursday, Tonight will broadcast from Universal Studios Hollywood, in Los Angeles. This trip marks Tonight’s first visit to Los Angeles since pulling up roots and moving back east to 30 Rockefeller Plaza’s studio 6B in New York.

Guests for the Los Angeles shows include Michael Keaton and Gwen Stefani (February 2); Ellen DeGeneres, Neil Young and former Tonight Show bandleader Doc Severinsen sitting in with The Roots (February 3); Vin Diesel and Carl Reiner (February 4); Will Smith, Rosamund Pike and Jack White (February 5).

http://deadline.com/2015/01/super-bo...ow-1201359451/
post #99432 of 99449 Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nielsen Notes
Ratings Revamped: Which Network Is Tops in Scripted TV?
By Tony Maglio, TheWrap.com - Jan. 26, 2015

Who needs football? Well, NBC for starters — and also Fox and CBS, albeit to somewhat lesser degrees.

TheWrap re-ran network TV ratings to include primetime scripted series only — so, omitting sports, specials and reality series — to see who owns the written word on the small screen. As it turns out, the pared-down way of looking at most current (where available) Nielsen numbers jumps ABC from third to first place among the Big 4 networks.

Both originals and repeats were included in this report, which accounted for data from the 2014-2015 season shows through Sunday, Jan. 18, 2015.

The results of our study shows ABC leading runner-up CBS by 13 percent, with an average rating/share of 2.7/8 against the lower 2.4/7 in the advertiser-sought 18-49 demographic.

Sans football, “The Voice” and “Peter Pan Live” — among other unqualified-in-this-scenario broadcasts — NBC settled for third with a 2.1/6.

Fox finished in fourth place with a 1.9/6.

Ordinarily, not withholding any kind of programming, the nets lineup in the following order for the season: NBC (2.6/8), CBS (2.5/8), ABC (2.1/7) and Fox (2.1/6).

So, clearly, ABC sees the best jump when looking solely at scripted programming. Meanwhile, NBC drops the most — a full half of a ratings point, falling to third place.

CBS slips just one-tenth of a Nielsen point, staying in second place. Fox dips two-tenths of a point, going from a third-place tie to sole possession of fourth.

Another way of touting the ABC strength is to point out that its six scripted series in the Top 15 are the most for any net — and it has a little room to spare after hitting that total. (Technically, it’s sixth, “Black-ish,” clocks in at a two-way tie for 13th with CBS’s “Scorpion.”)

“Modern Family” is No. 2 (behind “The Big Bang Theory”), “Scandal” is third (the top-rated drama), “Grey’s Anatomy” comes in sixth, “Once Upon a Time” is at No. 9. Plus, newcomer “How to Get Away With Murder” clocks in at No. 11, and “Black-ish” at the aforementioned No. 13.

Unfortunately for ABC, this is not how ratings are traditionally measured, but it’d be nice for them if it was.

http://www.thewrap.com/ratings-revam...n-scripted-tv/
post #99433 of 99449 Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV/Critics' Notes
Snowed In? Here’s What to Watch; Read; or Listen To.
By The New York Times Arts Beat Staff - Jan. 26, 2015

It’s too cold to go out. Your remote is working, but forget flipping though the channels: let us guide you. Your stereo is searching for something better than what you’re listening to now? You need a new book? We hear you. Here are our recommendations for what’s streaming on TV, what should be rocking your apartment and great reads to curl up with.

WATCH:
By Mike Hale, Neil Genzlinger, Kathryn Shattuck and Kaly Soto

You want to be a detective:

CRACKER
Long before David Tennant in “Broadchurch” or Matthew McConaughey in “True Detective,” Robbie Coltrane was perfecting the damaged crime solver as the criminal psychologist Fitz Fitzgerald in this mid-1990s British series. All 25 episodes are available at Acorn TV and Amazon.

THE FALL The second season of this dark British crime drama, set in Northern Ireland and starring Gillian Anderson, recently went up exclusively on Netflix. The two seasons represent a perfect one-day, 11-episode binge.

THE KILLING The first three seasons of this Scandinavian-esque thriller, formerly broadcast on AMC, followed the detectives Sarah Linden (Mireille Enos) and Stephen Holder (Joel Kinnaman) into the underbelly of murky Seattle. The fourth and final season finds the detectives writhing amid the fallout from their reckless behavior at the end of the last case and ready to dive into a new one: the massacre of a picture-perfect family survived only by a son, who was shot in the head. Joan Allen portrays Col. Margaret Rayne, the headmistress of an all-boys military academy. (netflix.com)

THE X-FILES Scully and Mulder may be getting ready to reunite, so catch up on this classic 1990s series. The crimes are mostly of the fashion and supernatural sort. You know you want to believe. (netflix.com and amazon instant video)

TWIN PEAKS If you’ve never seen David Lynch and Mark Frost’s truly groundbreaking 1990 mystery series, watch it now before the new third season (directed by Mr. Lynch) arrives on Showtime. All 30 episodes of the first two seasons are at cbs.com and various streaming sites; if you’re pressed for time, just watch the first 15.

You Want to Lose Yourself for a Few Hours:

EMPIRE
Now’s the time to catch up on what’s looking like the season’s best new network television show, while it’s still only three hours old. Lee Daniels and Danny Strong’s music-industry melodrama, featuring the wonderful Taraji P. Henson, is available at fox.com, streaming sites and on-demand from your cable provider.

SELFIE A comedy about online fame that was boldly, or bizarrely, modeled on “My Fair Lady,” it wasn’t last fall’s worst new show but it was one of the first to be canceled. All 13 episodes, including six that weren’t broadcast, are available at abc.com and Hulu.

THE GILMORE GIRLS: Will Lorelai ever find true love? Will Rory ever work for The New York Times? You might not be out on the road, but you very well might be lonely and so cold. So grab some Pop-Tarts and hang out in Stars Hollow for a while.

SILENT BROKELYN This won’t eat up a lot of time, and it’s dramatic value is debatable, but it’s definitely new: a silent-movie-style series playing out in Chaplinesque 15-second Instagram videos, complete with antique-looking title cards. Twenty episodes have been posted.

GORTIMER GIBBON’S LIFE ON NORMAL STREET Amid all the fuss over “Transparent” and its Golden Globe, this quiet, charming show, Amazon’s first live-action series for children, hasn’t received the attention it deserves. Six episodes are up at Amazon Instant Video.

BIRTH OF A BEAUTY Picking a Korean soap opera is like casting your line into the vastness of the Pacific, but this recently concluded stemwinder — a Cinderella story about an overweight wife who comes back from the dead with a full-body makeover to gain revenge on her husband’s family — is a good introduction to the genre and the country. All 21 episodes are on DramaFever and other streaming sites.

TBS This network is always good for some storm-day rerun comfort food; its daytime lineup for Tuesday includes blocks of “American Dad,” “The King of Queens” and “Friends.” Among the “Friends” episodes on the schedule, at 4 p.m., is one from Season 3 called “The One Without the Ski Trip,” in which Lisa Kudrow’s character, Phoebe, gives some advice to the just-split-up Rachel (Jennifer Aniston) and Ross (David Schwimmer) that might be useful to any snowbound household full of restless children or cranky adults or both. “You don’t have to love each other,” she says. “You don’t even have to like each other much right now. But please — you have to figure out a way to be around each other.”

HOARDING: BURIED ALIVE What better storm-day viewing than a show subtitled “Buried Alive”? The burial here isn’t by precipitation, however. The show in question is TLC’s “Hoarding: Buried Alive,” a somewhat lurid look at that compulsion. Actually, maybe this is a show you specifically DON’T want to watch when snowed in. The episode scheduled for Tuesday at 10 a.m. is a repeat called “The Stench Is Amazing.”

You’re Looking for a Classic:

DIRECTED BY LUIS BUÑUEL
This five-film tribute to Buñuel (1900-1983), called the father of Surrealists cinema, begins with “Belle de Jour” (1968), starring Catherine Deneuve as a frigid young housewife able to achieve sexual satisfaction only after becoming a prostitute. Then moves into “The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie” (1972), an Oscar-winner for best foreign film, six upwardly mobile friends try to have dinner together — but find they can’t. The lineup continues with “Diary of a Chambermaid” (1964), an adaptation of the novel by Octave Mirbeau about the foibles and hypocrisy of the landed gentry as seen through the eyes of a worldly domestic (Jeanne Moreau); “Viridiana” (1962), in which a young nun (Silvia Pinal) tries to help the poor after inheriting a fortune; and “The Exterminating Angel” (1962), where guests at a lavish dinner party in an elegant home in Mexico City find themselves unable to leave the parlor for several days, during which the social order begins to break down. Begins Monday at 8 p.m. on TCM.

You’re a History Buff:

50 CHILDREN: THE RESCUE MISSION OF MR. AND MRS. KRAUS (2013)
In spring 1939 Gilbert Kraus, a lawyer in Philadelphia, bid farewell to his wife, Eleanor, and their son and daughter and set sail for Nazi Germany. His plan: to save 50 Jewish children on the eve of the Holocaust by bringing them back home for safekeeping — the largest kindertransport to the United States. Tuesday at 11 a.m. on HBO Signature.

AMERICAN EXPERIENCE Whether you’ll be able to watch anything at all during the storm will depend on that marvelous convenience that we tend to take for granted, one summed up inadvertently in Joni Mitchell’s lyric, “You don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone.” It’s electric power, and Tuesday night’s episode of “American Experience” on PBS is about the guy who is largely responsible for putting it in our homes, Thomas A. Edison. It’s a thorough look at the life of one of the most influential people of the last 200 years.

You only Watch YouTube:

Five Great Snow-Related Videos:
5. A fox diving headfirst into the snow to catch food.
3. How to shovel off your roof.
2. A collage of “Star Trek” clips assembled into the wintery song “Let It Snow.”
1. A jogger proven wrong about the wonders of running in the snow.

LISTEN:
By Joe Coscarelli

You must know what the coolest thing is right now:

Björk, “Vulnicura” (One Little Indian) An ill-timed leak, followed by an early release, turned out to be fortuitous for snowbound listeners: Björk’s self-described “complete heartbreak album” is austere and biting – an emotional ice storm. (iTunes)

Natalie Prass, “Natalie Prass” (Spacebomb) Leaning softly on horn and string arrangements, this emerging Nashville-based singer-songwriter is from the Dusty Springfield school of soulful folk and tenderness. (Stream at Pitchfork)

Mount Eerie, “Sauna” (P.W. Elverum & Sun) Don’t be fooled by the name – the new album by the brooding singer-songwriter Phil Elverum is chilly and largely whispered, beginning with a lyrically appropriate 10-minute title track: “I don’t think the world still exists/ Only this room in the snow,” Elverum sings. (Stream at NPR)

Sleater-Kinney, “No Cities to Love” (Sub Pop) For warmth, there’s the kinetic energy of Sleater-Kinney’s return to rock. Jon Pareles called the comeback album “10 hurtling, bristling, densely packed, white-knuckled songs that are all taut construction and raw nerve.” (iTunes, Popcast)

You Want to Know What the Kids are Listening to:

Meghan Trainor, “Title” (Epic) For those playing catch-up with the kids, the current No. 1 album in the country comes from a surprise pop star schooled in all types of songwriting, but with a bias toward breezy, summertime vibes and lush throwback harmonies. (iTunes, Popcast)

READ:
By Dwight Garner

If he could be any animal, John Updike said, he’d be a turtle, because he liked the sound of rain on a roof. I like that sound, too, and even more the muffled kind of anti-sound that snow wraps around you. One thing I’d like to have on my blanketed lap today is the new issue of The Paris Review. That journal has found its mojo, in a big way, in recent issues, under the editorship of Lorin Stein. The new one has among other things a warm and wise interview with the memoirist and essayist Vivian Gornick that’s worth the price of admission alone. Here’s an excerpt, about envy:

INTERVIEWER: Were there specific parties you wanted to be at but weren’t?

GORNICK: The uptown parties, the New York Review parties, that sort of thing. I wanted recognition in those quarters. I was often envious of those seemed to have a central position in what was indisputably New York literary life, people who were always saying, “At dinner the other night with Charles Simic …” It would make me feel bad about myself. And then I’d have to recover from that nonsense and forget about it – really forget about it. And I did – over and over again.

All this was never as big as I’m making it sound – really, it wasn’t. I mean, it often seems as though everyone under the sun suffers from not being where they want to be or think they should be “in the world.” I reviewed Alfred Kazin’s “Journals,” and Alfred Kazin was such a neurotic that he wrote in his journals, after fifty years of a celebrated life, “I can never lose the feeling that there is some great party going on to which I have not been invited.” And I’m sitting there, saying to myself, You, Alfred? You have the nerve to tell me you’re never invited to the right parties? What about me, Alfred, me!

I’d also like to marinate in a good old dowdy cookbook today, something like Ronald Johnson’s “The American Table” (1984). I love this book, in part because it was recommended to me by the late, great Eden Lipson, former children’s book editor of The Times, and in part because its solid (it has never done me wrong) yet has its share of whimsy. For example this book has a breakfast recipe simply called “Thing,” named by the poet Jonathan Williams. What is “Thing”? Fried potatoes topped with cottage cheese and snipped-up green onions. Not quite my kind of deal. But still.

Finally, there’s a book I’ve been aching to return to: “With The Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa,” by E.B. Sledge (1981). This is a poweful memoir of World War II, told simply. I discovered it in a reissued edition, with an introduction by Paul Fussell.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ref=television
post #99434 of 99449 Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Sports
NFL launches YouTube channel featuring highlight videos
By Paresh Dave, Los Angeles Times - Jan. 26, 2015

The National Football League and YouTube launched a new video channel Monday that will bring just about everything except live games to tablets, smartphones and computers.

The channel will feature “game previews, in-game highlights, post-game recaps as well as clips featuring news, analysis, fantasy football advice” and other content, the NFL said.

YouTube has proved a popular spot to find unauthorized clips of games, though they're typically taken down quickly.

NFL brings highlight videos to Facebook in key test for social network
The deal comes weeks after a similar deal between the NFL and Facebook, which has been seeking to attract more high-quality video content.

A four-minute preview of Sunday’s Super Bowl was the YouTube channel’s featured video Monday morning.

Hans Schroeder, the NFL’s senior vice president for media strategy, said in a press release that the partnership "further expands fans’ ability to discover and access NFL content throughout the year."

http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...126-story.html
post #99435 of 99449 Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
‘X-Men’ Live-Action TV Series in Development at Fox
By Shelli Weinstein, Variety.com - Jan. 26, 2015

More super power could be coming to the small screen, with an “X-Men” TV series confirmed to be in the very early stages of development at Fox.

Negotiations are currently under way to develop a live-action show based on the long-running comic book brand, which has already launched eight feature films including the upcoming “X-Men: Apocalypse.”

Though 20th Century Fox holds the film rights to the franchise, in order to use the heroes on Fox, they’ll need to get “X-Men” comics publisher Marvel to sign off on the deal for TV.

Rumblings about an “X-Men” show have been in circulation for some time. Last April, Simon Kinberg, writer of “X-Men: Days of Future Past” told Collider that he thought an “X-Men” television series was a good idea.

“We’re still in this place of figuring out what the future of the franchise will be, but when you look at ‘SHIELD’ to some extent and what Marvel is doing now with ‘Daredevil’… it makes sense to tell some of these stories in TV partly because there’s just not enough screens to do all these characters, and also because the serialized format of comic books is better suited for TV,” he said.

In the fall, Bleeding Cool reported that Fox was actively interested in bringing the famous mutants to the small screen.

Fox chiefs Gary Newman and Dana Walden told reporters at the 2015 Television Critics Assn. Winter Press Tour that Fox is also considering revivals of “The X-Files,” “24” and “Prison Break.”

Marvel is currently developing their own roster of series, with “Agents of SHIELD” and “Agent Carter” airing on ABC (which, like Marvel, is owned by Disney), and “Daredevil,” “AKA Jessica Jones,” “Luke Cage” and “Iron Fist” coming to Netflix.

TV Insider first reported the news.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/x-me...el-1201415289/
post #99436 of 99449 Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Technology/Business Notes
Can Wi-Fi Replace Your Cell Phone Plan?
By Victor Luckerson, TIME.com - Jan. 26, 2015

The wireless industry has seen its fair share of changes over the last two years, many sparked by T-Mobile’s disruptive “uncarrier” policies that have been since co-opted by its rivals. But there could be even bigger shakeups coming in the year ahead.

New York-based cable and Internet operator Cablevision is preparing to launch a new cell phone service that relies exclusively on Wi-Fi, the New York Times reports. That would differentiate it from traditional mobile carriers, which use networks of cell towers to let users make calls, send text messages and surf the web. Google is also reportedly prepping a wireless service that may make extensive use of Wi-Fi.

A switch from cellular to Wi-Fi networks could have a huge impact on both the cost and quality of wireless service in the future. Here’s a quick look at what Wi-Fi-based carriers could mean for your cell phone plan:

How is a Wi-Fi plan different from a regular cellular plan?

Historically, cell phones have delivered phone calls, text messages and Internet data using cell towers owned and operated by wireless carriers like Verizon or AT&T. This system has created extremely widespread networks that let people make calls and access the web from almost anywhere in the U.S. But it also means the networks are extremely expensive to operate, so carriers charge customers high monthly fees to maintain them.

An increasing amount of activity on mobile phones is now being done using Wi-Fi networks instead of cellular networks. People can easily set up Wi-Fi in their own homes, while many businesses and municipalities are starting to offer Wi-Fi access for free. Cablevision has also been building its own network of Wi-Fi hotspots for use by its home Internet subscribers when they’re on the go.

Cablevision is now betting that its Wi-Fi hotspots are so widespread that it can build an entire mobile network around them. That means you’d use Wi-Fi not only to surf the Web at home, but also to send texts and make phone calls while out and about.

What are the advantages of a Wi-Fi cell phone plan?

The biggest differentiator would be price. Cablevision’s new Wi-Fi service, dubbed Freewheel, will cost $29.95 per month for new individual customers or $9.95 per month for customers who already subscribe to the company’s Optimum Online Internet service. A recent survey by research firm Cowen and Company found the average monthly cell phone bill on Sprint, Verizon or AT&T is about $140, though that factors in both individual and family plans.

Cablevision’s service also won’t require an annual contract, and it will provide unlimited data. Traditional cell phone carriers often require two-year contracts and punish customers with expensive overage fees if they exceed their data caps.

What are the disadvantages?

At launch, the only phone compatible with Cablevision’s new network is Motorola’s Moto G, which will cost $99.99. The service also won’t be able to match the wide coverage of mobile networks like Verizon’s or AT&T’s — Cablevision’s 1.1 million Wi-Fi hotspots are found only in the New York metro area.

For now, Optimum’s service doesn’t seem to be geared toward typical mainstream consumers. Cablevision Chief Operating Officer Kristin Dolan told the Wall Street Journal that Freewheel could be appropriate for college students, children or people with a fixed income.

What does this mean for the future of wireless?

People aren’t going to abandon reliable wireless carriers and their cellular networks anytime soon. But there will be growing pressure on carriers to make more effective use of Wi-Fi connectivity in urban areas. Google’s rumored wireless service may end up mixing Wi-Fi and traditional cellular networks, helping users automatically find and connect to the fastest or cheapest network while on the go, according to the Journal.

In the future, cellular networks could be viewed as a back-up connectivity option when Wi-Fi isn’t available. Such a model would lower cell phone bills as customers opted for cheaper data plans.

Should I subscribe to Cablevision’s Wi-Fi Network?

If you already subscribe to Optimum Internet (so you qualify for the cheaper subscription rate) and you live near New York and you don’t travel much, then maybe. Otherwise, it’s best to wait and see how the arrival of Freewheel impacts the offerings of the major carriers — and keep an eye out for Google’s upcoming service, which the Journal speculates could arrive in the first half of the year.

http://time.com/3682587/cell-phones-wifi/
post #99437 of 99449 Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
Not if you want to use your mobile phone as an actual phone that is mobile. Good luck trying to call for a tow on your Wi-Fi plan when your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere.
slowbiscuit, Nayan and Mark12547 like this.
post #99438 of 99449 Old Today, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Not if you want to use your mobile phone as an actual phone that is mobile. Good luck trying to call for a tow on your Wi-Fi plan when your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere.
This wi-fi plan would make sense if you carried a cheap prepaid phone for occasional phone calls.
post #99439 of 99449 Old Today, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
TUESDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)

ABC:
8PM - Shark Tank
(R - Oct. 10)
9PM - Marvel's Agent Carter
10PM - Forever
(R - Nov. 18)
11:35PM - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Kevin Costner; Eddie Redmayne; Jamie Cullum performs)
12:37AM - Nightline

CBS:
8PM - NCIS
(R - Oct. 7)
9PM - NCIS: Los Angeles
(R - Oct. 21)
10PM - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
11:35PM - Late Show with David Letterman (Oscar Isaac; comic Whitney Cummings; Drenge performs)
12:37AM - The Late Late Show (Regis Philbin guest hosts; David Letterman; Tony Danza; sportscaster Tracy Wolfson)

NBC:
8PM - Parks and Recreation
8:30PM - Parks and Recreation
9PM - Marry Me
9:30PM - About a Boy
10PM - Chicago Fire
(R - Oct. 14)
11:34PM - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Nicole Kidman; Patton Oswalt; The War on Drugs performs)
(R - Jan. 6)
12:36AM - Late Night with Seth Myers (Jane Lynch; Lucy Hale; Haerts performs)
(R - Jan. 7)
1:37AM - Last Call With Carson Daly (Wyatt Cenac; Porter Robinson performs; director Margaret Brown)
(R - Oct. 27)

FOX:
8PM - MasterChef: Junior Edition
9PM - New Girl
(R - Oct. 14)
9:30PM - The Mindy Project
(R - Oct. 14)

PBS:
(check your local listing for starting time/programming)
8PM - Genealogy Roadshow: Philadelphia -- Franklin Institute
9PM - Edison: American Experience (120 min.)

UNIVISION:
8PM - Mi Corazón Es Tuyo
9PM - Hasta El Fin del Mundo
10PM - Que Te Perdone Dios... Yo No

THE CW:
8PM - The Flash
9PM - Supernatural

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - Los Miserables
9PM - Tierra de Reyes
10PM - Dueños del Paraíso

COMEDY CENTRAL:
11PM - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Author Jill Leovy)
11:31PM - The Nightly Show with Larry Whitmore
12:01AM - At Midnight (Jim Norton; John Roy; Kurt Braunohler)

TBS:
11PM - Conan (Rainn Wilson; Lucy Hale; comedian Brian Scolaro)
post #99440 of 99449 Old Today, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nielsen Notes (Cable)
‘Sons Of Liberty’ Scores 3.3 Million Viewers In Premiere
By Lisa de Moraes, Deadline.com - Jan. 26, 2015

About 3.3 million viewers signed on to the first night of History’s three-part miniseries Sons Of Liberty last night. SoL delivered 1.4 million adults 25-54 and 1.2 million adults 18-49 at 9 PM, according to Fast Cable Nielsen Ratings.

Elsewhere, these numbers might be filed under Not Bad, but on History the bar is set very high. Back in May 2012, History entered the original scripted arena in a big way, when the premiere of its miniseries Hatfields & McCoys drew a staggering 13.9 million total viewers, 4.8 million adults 18-49 and 5.8 million adults 25-54 from 9-11 PM to become the No. 1 nonsports telecast ever on ad-supported cable TV. History followed that up in March 2013 with the debut of miniseries The Bible to a crowd of 13.1 million viewers in its 8-10 PM, making it that year’s most watched cable entertainment telecast.

The network noted that Night 1 of Sons Of Liberty was the most tweeted-about scripted series on television for the day, citing Nielsen. The first night followed a defiant group of young men — including Sam Adams, John Adams, Paul Revere, John Hancock and Dr. Joseph Warren — plotting to make the colonies into a sovereign nation. Sons Of Liberty is produced by A+E Studios in association with Stephen David Entertainment for History.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/sons-lib...gs-1201359855/
post #99441 of 99449 Old Today, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
‘AKA Jessica Jones': ‘Doctor Who’ star David Tennant cast in Marvel series
By Noelene Clark and Gina McIntyre, Los Angeles Times' 'Hero Complex' Blog - Jan. 26, 2015

“Doctor Who” star David Tennant will play a villain in Marvel’s upcoming Netflix show “A.K.A. Jessica Jones,” a 13-episode series set to premiere next year.

The Scottish actor has been cast as Kilgrave, an enigmatic figure from the heroine’s past whose reappearance shakes her world, Marvel announced Monday.

Tennant, who has recently appeared on American screens in the mystery series “Gracepoint,” is best known for his turn as the time-traveling protagonist in “Doctor Who.” His five-year tenure as the 10th incarnation of the Time Lord revitalized TV’s longest-running sci-fi series and paved the way for its popularity this side of the pond.

“I’m so honored and excited by the prospect of David inhabiting this multifaceted character,” said writer-producer Melissa Rosenberg in a post on Marvel’s blog. “He can deliver the most heart-wrenching moment to the driest of lines, and all points in between. He’ll make Kilgrave a truly original villain.”

Rosenberg (“Dexter,” “Twilight”) will oversee the series, which is said to focus on Jones as she works as a private investigator in New York following a short-lived run as a superhero.

Tennant will be starring opposite Krysten Ritter, who will play the title role based on the comics character created by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Gaydos. Actor Mike Colter will star as her love interest and fellow superhero Luke Cage.

Ritter appeared in AMC’s acclaimed drama “Breaking Bad” and in the comedy “Don’t Trust the B— in Apartment 23,” among other projects, and she can be seen on the big screen in Tim Burton’s “Big Eyes,” about the lives of Margaret and Walter Keane.

In addition to starring in Microsoft’s original series “Halo: Nightfall,” Colter’s credits include turns on such television series as “The Good Wife” and “American Horror Story: Coven.”

“A.K.A. Jessica Jones” is the second of four planned Marvel series Netflix has signed on for, culminating in a “Defenders” miniseries; Luke Cage is also set to headline his own show.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/tv/ak...marvel-series/
post #99442 of 99449 Old Today, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
'Rush Hour' Remake, Greg Garcia's 'Super Clyde' Re-Do Among CBS Pilot Pickups
By Lesley Goldberg, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - Jan. 26, 2015

CBS got into the pilot game late Monday, moving forward with its Rush Hour adaptation and ordering a new version of Greg Garcia's 2013 comedy Super Clyde as well as a half-hour from Modern Family alum Bill Wrubel.

Rush Hour, which landed at CBS with a hefty pilot-production commitment, is an adaption of the blockbuster movie franchise.

From Cougar Town's Bill Lawrence, the TV remake is in similar tone to the New Line Cinema films and follows a by-the-book Hong Kong police officer who is assigned to a case in L.A., where he's forced to work with a cocky black LAPD officer who has no interest in a partner. Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker originated the roles in the three-film series. Casting is currently under way.

Lawrence and Cougar Town alum Blake McCormick will co-write and executive produce the project, which hails from Warner Bros. Television, where the former's Doozer Productions is under an overall deal. The trilogy's Brett Ratner (who directed) and Arthur Sarkissian (who produced) are also on board to exec produce alongside Lawrence, McCormick and Doozer's Jeff Ingold.

Rush Hour comes as Lawrence currently has three shows on the air: NBC's Undateable — moved from summer to midseason — as well as sophomore comedy Ground Floor and the final season of Cougar Town, both on TBS.

Rush Hour was one of scores of feature film remakes to be developed this season and marks the second of them to go to pilot after Fox greenlit its Minority Report follow-up. Studios typically reach out for a creator's blessing when adapting a film into a TV series — Rush Hour trilogy director Ratner and producer Sarkissian are both attached — though that's not required.

On the comedy side, CBS is back in business with The Millers creator Garcia some two months after abruptly canceling the comedy midway through its second season with a pilot greenlight for Super Clyde. Originally piloted in 2013, Super Clyde — about a meek, unassuming fast-food worker who finds his calling — had Harry Potter star Rupert Grint attached and was ultimately passed over for a series pickup in favor of The Millers. (CBS made the pilot available online in October 2013 after a request by Garcia.)

Super Clyde will remain a single-camera pilot and be written and exec produced by Garcia via his CBS Television Studios-based Amigos de Garcia banner. It's unclear if any of the original cast, producers or director will return, though Garcia praised director Mike Fresco's work on the original.)

Garcia sold seven projects this season and focused his time developing other writers. After the cancellation of The Millers, he was suddenly available to take a new stab at Super Clyde. The comedy brings to five the number of pilots that were rolled or redeveloped this season.

In addition to Super Clyde, CBS also handed out a pilot pickup for Joe Time, from Modern Family's Wrubel and Warner Bros. Television. The multicamera comedy, marking Wrubel's first sale since moving from 20th Century Fox Television, landed at CBS with a sizable pilot-production commitment. Previously titled The Good Life, Joe Time revolves around family man Joe as he struggles with the fact that everyone around him is pursuing their dreams and enjoying their lives more than he is.

Monday's pickups bring CBS' comedy haul to six and dramas to five. Last year, the network ordered nine dramas and 10 comedies.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...garcias-767450
post #99443 of 99449 Old Today, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
ABC Orders Crime Thriller From Shonda Rhimes, 1 More Drama & 2 Comedy Pilots
By Elizabeth Wagmeister, Variety.com - Jan. 26, 2015

ABC has picked up four more pilots for their 2015-16 season, including a new drama from “TGIT” queen Shonda Rhimes. All pilots hail from ABC Studios.

“The Catch” from Shondaland’s Rhimes and Betsy Beers follows a female forensic accountant whose career specialty is exposing fraud for a living. Much like the leading ladies of “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Scandal” and “How to Get Away With Murder,” the sure-to-be fierce woman at the forefront of the crime thriller is not all she appears to be and has a tumultuous love life. She’s about to get married, but also about to get conned by her fiancé — little does he know, her lies end up colliding with his cons.

The pilot will be exec produced by Rhimes, Beers, Julie Anne Robinson and Jennifer Schuur, and co-produced by Helen Gregory and Kate Atkinson. Robinson is set to direct, and Schuur will pen the pilot.

The net ordered another drama pilot, “Broad Squad” from “Gossip Girl” creators Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz. Inspired by true stories, the series follows the first four women to graduate from Boston’s Police Academy in 1978. Schwartz and Savage will exec produce with Len Goldstein of Fake Empire, and Aaron Kaplan. Alexander Lyndon will also produce, and Bess Wohl will write the pilot.

Two comedy pilots have also been picked up at ABC, including “Chev & Bev,” which will star Chevy Chase and Beverly D’Angelo as carefree baby boomers whose careful and seamless retirement is suddenly disrupted when they are left to raise their grandchildren. Brad Copeland will write the pilot, and Kaplan of Kapital Entertainment (and “Broad Squad,” above) will exec produce.

“The Untitled Dan Savage Project” has also been given a pilot order. Inspired by the columnist’s real experiences, the comedy will follow the lead character, loosely based on Savage, as his life takes a positive, new turn when his son comes out of the closet. Written by David Windsor and Casey Johnson, Savage will produce, along with Brian Pines and Dan McDermott.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/abc-...er-1201415832/[/QUOTE]
post #99444 of 99449 Old Today, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Sports
Albatross of Debt Weighs on Super Bowl City
By Ken Belson, The New York Times - Jan. 26, 2015

GLENDALE, Ariz. — Jerry Weiers lives less than two miles from University of Phoenix Stadium, where the New England Patriots will play the Seattle Seahawks in the Super Bowl on Sunday. Weiers also happens to be the mayor of Glendale.

Yet as politicians, chief executives and tens of thousands of well-heeled fans rub shoulders that day in the stadium in Glendale, a western suburb of Phoenix, he plans to watch the game on television in his living room, because he has not been offered a ticket.

“It was on my bucket list, but it’s not going to happen,” Weiers said. “If I had my druthers, I’d rather be in the stadium. I’ve had people say that if I was a team player, I might have gone to the game. But I’m a team player for my city.”

Being a team player means falling in line behind the N.F.L., the state authority that runs the stadium and the Arizona Cardinals, its main tenant. It also means spending millions of dollars to police Glendale during the week, even though many of the Super Bowl-related events will be in downtown Phoenix and in Scottsdale, he said.

Weiers is not shy about making that point, so he is not surprised that he was snubbed. Critics have called Weiers ungrateful because the Pro Bowl and the Super Bowl will draw thousands of visitors to his city, and some of them will visit restaurants and hotels there. Glendale will also receive lots of free advertising during game broadcasts, though a vast majority of people visiting Arizona for the Super Bowl will visit the city only on game day.

James Cassella, the mayor of East Rutherford, N.J., was also criticized after he complained last year that his borough had been overlooked even as the Super Bowl was played at MetLife Stadium there.

But the friction in Glendale is acute because the city has a reputation for betting big on sports — and paying a price for it. In the last decade, the city spent hundreds of millions of dollars to build a hockey arena for the Coyotes and a spring training complex for the Chicago White Sox and the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The hope was that the facilities would prompt residential and commercial development. But when the recession hit in 2008, the Coyotes went bankrupt, the mall next to the arena foundered, and the city was overwhelmed by its debt payments and was forced to slash public services.

“The city of Glendale is the poster child for what can go wrong” when a city invests heavily in sports, said Kevin McCarthy, the president of the Arizona Tax Research Association. “You don’t want to be building stadiums and not be able to hire police officers.”

Glendale is by no means the first city to have sports facilities turn into albatrosses. Cincinnati and Miami, to name just two, built stadiums for wealthy owners in deals that backfired.

But the scale of spending in the city of 230,000 residents is unique. According to Moody’s Investors Service, Glendale’s debt is equal to 4.9 percent of its tax base, nearly four times the national median and twice the average rate for cities in Arizona. More than 40 percent of the city’s debt is dedicated to paying off sports complexes.

“In general, it’s pretty uncommon to finance big sports projects like that,” said Matthew Jones, an analyst at Moody’s.

Critics say that the heavy debt burden has made Glendale less capable of helping host mega-events like the Super Bowl. At the same time, the hotels in Glendale contributed only a handful of rooms to the N.F.L.’s pool of accommodations, preferring instead to try to earn more by selling directly to visitors.

“They’ve done the bare minimum,” said Michael Bidwill, the principal owner of the Cardinals. “They’ve tried to gouge fans coming here.”

Bidwill said his trouble with the city had begun years ago. Though the stadium was built by a state authority, the city reneged on a promise to make infrastructure improvements around the stadium, which opened in 2006. He has also clashed with the city over parking.

“Glendale has been a poor partner in all of this,” Bidwill said. “They didn’t live up to their obligations to the one shining star in their community.”

Despite its past shortcomings, the city has made strides. A new city manager and finance director, installed in 2013, pushed to impose a temporary local sales tax to shrink a yawning budget gap. They refinanced the bonds issued to build the baseball training complex, and they struck a deal to pay the Coyotes $15 million a year to run the arena in return for a share of the naming rights and other revenue.

Moody’s and Standard & Poor’s have rewarded the moves by raising the city’s credit outlook to stable, from negative.

“This is the hand we were dealt, but we changed the way we do things operationally,” said Brenda Fischer, the city manager, who arrived 18 months ago. “While we stabilized things, we’re certainly not in a ‘Let’s go on a spending boom’ mode.”

Fischer said it was nice that the city was receiving mentions on sports broadcasts, but “having ‘Glendale’ said on TV doesn’t equate to money in the bank.”

The money in the bank is not overwhelming, either. According to Elliott D. Pollack & Company, an economic consultant, Glendale collected an estimated $1.24 million in direct revenue and state shared sales taxes during Super Bowl XLII, held in the city in 2008.

The revenue is expected to increase this time, because more hotel rooms have been added and the shopping options near the stadium have expanded. Glendale is also hosting a chocolate festival and football-themed activities, including concerts. DirecTV has set up a pavilion near the stadium, too.

(By contrast, the N.F.L. Experience and the media center are in downtown Phoenix. ESPN will broadcast from Scottsdale, an eastern suburb, which will also be hosting a golf tournament.)

For all it has done to attract business, Glendale expects to spend about $2.1 million on security during Super Bowl week. Weiers said he hoped that the state would reimburse the city for that cost, but a billintroduced in the State Legislature last year went nowhere. “I’m not anti-Super Bowl or anti-N.F.L.; I just want to make sure my citizens are covered,” Weiers said.

Whether that attitude gets Weiers invited is another question. Cassella, the East Rutherford mayor, said that after stories surfaced that he, too, had been unable to get a Super Bowl ticket, Jim Irsay, the owner of the Indianapolis Colts, invited him as his guest. John Mara, an owner of the Giants, sent him a parking pass.

But that did not leaven his disdain for the highhanded way he was treated by the N.F.L. and the Super Bowl organizers. His town’s firefighters, he said, spent thousands of dollars on food for other public service workers, yet the league did not even make a donation to the department.

“They make their own rules,” Cassella said of the league and the Super Bowl organizers.

Cassella sympathized with Weiers. “I feel for him,” he said. “You hope that the people who are visiting Glendale leave with a good impression.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/26/sp...bowl-city.html
post #99445 of 99449 Old Today, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nielsen Notes (Cable)
Viewers like it live on new CBSN streaming TV channel
By Mike Snider, USA Today - Jan. 27, 2015

CBS has found a strong appetite for live content on its CBSN news channel.

Launched in November, the 24-7 ad-supported online streaming channel -- with live anchors and on-demand video news -- has been the top-ranked news outlet on Roku streaming video devices that connect to TVs, CBS announced today.

On average, viewers watched more than two hours per week on Roku. Overall, more than half of all CBSN streams (52%) were on connected TV devices, while 30% on personal computers and 17% on smartphones and tablets.

In addition to Roku players and Roku TV devices, CBSN is also currently available on CBSNews.com and its mobile website and CBS News apps for iOS and Windows 8.1. CBSN is expected to come to additional devices this year.

Among those viewers on connected TV devices who return to the site, 88% watch CBSN multiple times per week. "While we knew that Connected TV devices would be important drivers of usage for CBSN, we didn't anticipate just how engaged the viewers on those platforms would be, consuming over half of all streams and spending the longest amount of time per stream, while making up about a third of the overall audience," said Marc DeBevoise, CBS Interactive executive vice president and general manager of entertainment, sports & news.

Viewers watched live content over on-demand video by a margin of 3-to-1 and viewership crescendoed during major breaking news stories. Top stories in terms of viewership included the Ferguson, Mo. grand jury decision -- during which live streams tripled -- followed by the AirAsia Flight 8501 disappearance, the Sydney hostage situation and shooting, the attack on Charlie Hebdo in Paris, and developing U.S.-Cuba relations.

"One thing that's very encouraging is the variety of news stories which have drawn audiences to CBSN. Ferguson, Sydney, the State of the Union—important news developments drove viewership," said CBS News president David Rhodes in a comment delivered via email. "Also, there's pent-up demand for live news programming on connected devices—CBSN has given our news organization a new outlet to reach these audiences."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...wers/22385811/
post #99446 of 99449 Old Today, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
For ‘Real Husbands,’ faking it’s fun
The BET satire has a surprisingly star-studded cast, and it's funny
By Louisa Ada Seltzer, Media Life Magazine - Jan. 27, 2015

Kevin Hart’s star is on the rise. He’s headlining “The Wedding Ringer,” he’s one of the top-grossing stand-up comics in the country, and he has 16 million Twitter followers and counting.

Which kind of makes you wonder how long he’ll stick with “The Real Husbands of Hollywood,” the very funny BET satire on which Hart stars with a number of other familiar actors.

The show airs its third-season finale tonight at 10 p.m.

The program is a satire of the “Real Housewives” series, only the men on the show were famous to varying degrees before it began. In addition to Hart there’s “America’s Got Talent” host Nick Cannon, “Soul Food” star Boris Kodjoe, “All of Us” star Duane Martin and more.

Robin Thicke also starred on the program in its first two years, but he left after “Blurred Lines” became a huge hit and his marriage broke up.

The show’s appeal lies in part in its willingness to poke fun at its participants. Though the show is billed as reality, it’s actually a scripted series, and it has turned Thicke and Cannon, whose marriage is also on the rocks, into the butt of jokes for their real-life woes.

The show takes on other pop culture topics, too, mixing them with outrageous plotlines, such as Hart deciding this week whether or not to donate a kidney.

“Husbands” is often BET’s No. 1 show in total viewers, with its most recent episode averaging just under 1 million, according to Nielsen.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/rea...ds-faking-fun/
post #99447 of 99449 Old Today, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
NBC orders Monica Potter, Jimmy Fallon comedy pilots
By Natalie Abrams, EW.com's 'Inside TV' Blog - Jan. 26, 2015

NBC has given pilot orders to a workplace comedy from Jimmy Fallon and a starring vehicle for Parenthood’s Monica Potter.

In the untitled Potter project, the actress will play a woman juggling her busy family life as well as her three ex-husbands, which proves difficult when she starts dating again. Sherry Bilsing-Graham and Ellen Kreamer will write and executive-produce with Ellen DeGeneres and Jeff Kleeman. The project, which Potter will also produce, will keep the actress with the network after Parenthood airs its series finale on Thursday.

Meanwhile, Fallon’s project Sharing is a workplace comedy about the different groups of people working side by side in a shared office space. Jeremy Bronson and Damian Lanigan will write and executive-produce with Fallon and Rick Schwartz.

Check out our full list of pilots here.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/26/nb...-jimmy-fallon/
post #99448 of 99449 Old Today, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
Republic Wireless started offering this 2 years ago. But they can also use Sprint for cell service in case there is no WiFi available.

https://republicwireless.com/info/plans/
slowbiscuit likes this.

TiVo Elite, TiVo 4, 8 TiVo Minis, TiVo Stream, Roku 3, Two Amazon Fire Sticks, Google Chromecast, Cox Cable, Sonos
post #99449 of 99449 Unread Today, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpcgeek View Post
Republic Wireless started offering this 2 years ago. But they can also use Sprint for cell service in case there is no WiFi available.

https://republicwireless.com/info/plans/
Not to get into a big discussion of mobile phone service but:

I have been using Republic Wireless for 2 years. I am very happy with it. I am on the $10.00 month plan (unlimited cell talk and text but no cell internet data, unlimited everything via wifi). My wife is on the $25.00 plan which adds cell internet data. You can switch plans via an app twice per month. Transition between cell and wifi is seamless. Drawbacks are that you have to buy the phone at near full price, are limited to a choice of 3 moto phones and help is only available through message board or email, no live help. Cell signal at our house is poor so we get a better connection than we did with ATT or Verizon with no dropped calls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page