Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 3315 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 875Likes
post #99421 of 99422 Unread Today, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post
Seems a bit unfair to post a 6,994 word article about a highly volatile political talking head and tell us "No political comments, please."
Gee, I think you just made one.

Cheers, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #99422 of 99422 Unread Today, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
Critic's Notes
How will Dish's Sling TV play?
By Mike Snider, USA Today's 'Cutting the Cord' Column - Jan. 24, 2015

Now that we know what's on Sling TV, Dish Network's new subscription Net video service that is set to launch soon, experts are trying to dial in on the target audience.

Likely to become available by the end of the month, Sling TV costs $20 monthly for about a dozen live TV channels, including ABC Family, Cartoon Network, CNN, Disney Channel, ESPN and ESPN 2, the Food Network, HGTV, TBS, TNT, The Travel Channel and Adult Swim.

As the cord-cutting movement has advanced, many have held back because pay-TV alternatives such as Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Instant Video don't have live sports. Having ESPN and ESPN 2 available on Sling TV may lure some to join the cord-cutting conga line.

Sling TV CEO Roger Lynch says the new offering targets millennials who are less likely to subscribe to pay TV.

Not so fast, says David Lieberman, executive editor at Deadline.com (also a friend and former colleague at USA TODAY). In a Jan. 19 column, Lieberman says he suspects Sling TV "may appeal more to cash-strapped cable and satellite subscribers than it will to young adults.".......

I'm strictly OTA but can't overstate how potentially huge this thing is. This is potentially Napster for the satellite/ cable co industry unless they start to figure this out and I'm extremely leery as to what the final outcome will be once the dust settles. I know of at least 10 people that are salivating and will be cutting the cord once this service starts and that's not even considering word of mouth and the news blitz that'll encourage & push more people to try it out.

Maybe it's time I seriously consider one of those ridiculous long term ISP contract price lock guarantees.

Interesting times....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page