Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 3317 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 887Likes
post #99481 of 99504 Unread Yesterday, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
I no longer have his personal email address, but the last time I tried to get in touch with him a couple of years ago, I didn't get any response to multiple emails.
Sounds like Fred took his AVS/HOTP retirement seriously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #99482 of 99504 Unread Yesterday, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
TV/Business Notes
TV Nets Cluttered Shows With Ads To Make Up For Lost Viewers In Q4
By David Lieberman, Deadline.com - Jan. 28, 2015

Among the broadcast networks, his tally shows that Fox increased commercial time by 12%, with CBS +1% while ABC was down 2% and NBC dropped 7%.

But in cable “the most aggressive network owners were those with the worst ratings trends,” Nathanson says. His measure of commercial time showed Viacom +8% (with its target demo C3 audience down 15%), A+E +6% (audience -24%), Discovery +5% (audience -6%), Scripps Networks +2 (audience -4%), and NBCUniversal +2% (audience -13%).

The only company that cut airtime for ads was Disney, -4% even though its cable audience was down 5%.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/tv-netwo...er-1201361369/
Unless things have changed, the likely reason Disney was down instead of increasing spots is that they don't discount when the economy goes into the dumper. They'd rather sell less inventory than open themselves up to always having to make deals to get sales. They live by the rule that "once you discount, you'll never get full price again".
post #99483 of 99504 Unread Yesterday, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
He's like Carson after retiring from "The Tonight Show." Popped his head a couple of times since, but otherwise he's just roaming the Earth like Caine in "Kung Fu." You know, doing meditation and fighting bad guys in bars.
Nayan likes this.
post #99484 of 99504 Unread Yesterday, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Well, I know he still checked in and responded to emails for quite a while. We even made plans to meet in Florida during one of my trips, but then he quit responding and I ended up losing his email address.

Cheers, Dave
post #99485 of 99504 Unread Yesterday, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
TV Notes
‘X-Men’ Live-Action TV Series in Development at Fox
By Shelli Weinstein, Variety.com - Jan. 26, 2015

Marvell should really start to be concerned about over saturation at this point....
post #99486 of 99504 Unread Yesterday, 02:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
HOTP/Personal Note
Paging Fredfa! Paging Fredfa!
By dad1153, Hot Off The Press Thread - Jan. 28, 2015

It's a little unorthodox, but a personal emergency has presented itself and I really need to speak with our old friend Fredfa. He hasn't posted on "HOTP" for quite some time though. If anyone here on "HOTP" knows someone on AVS Forum that can get me in touch with Fredfa, by either phone, personal e-mail or PM, I'd really appreciate it. PM me with the info or let Fredfa know that I need to get in touch with him, the sooner the better.

Thanks a bunch in advance.
You might try reaching him through his Facebook page, I sent it to you in a PM.
post #99487 of 99504 Unread Yesterday, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Jan. 28, 2015

THE AMERICANS FX, 10:00 p.m. ET
+ using Marvels Avengers movie 7:00pm as a leadin good move.

Speaking of Scarlett Johansson movies "Her" is on HBO Signature thursday 9:00pm.
Set in the near future Theo (Joaquin Phoenix) gets his computer a new OS with artificial intelligence & while this movie won an Oscar for screenwriting Scarlett shouldve won for her voice as "Samantha" the OS....WOW
Rooney Mara is in it too appropriate for super bowl week.

post #99488 of 99504 Unread Yesterday, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
You might try reaching him through his Facebook page, I sent it to you in a PM.
Thanks.
post #99489 of 99504 Unread Yesterday, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV/Business Notes
Bloomberg Shakes Up Newsroom Side of His Company
By Ravi Somaiyan, The New York Times - Jan. 26, 2015

Things have changed at Bloomberg since its founder, Michael R. Bloomberg, returned to the office.

Some of the changes are small. He had struggled to find the paper towel dispensers, artfully hidden behind the mirrors in the company bathrooms, so he had them labeled with arrows. Emails between staff members are marked with the time the employee entered the office, a measure that has been reinstated since Mr. Bloomberg returned and that some suspect is intended to encourage employees to arrive earlier (or to shame them for arriving late). In a memo, he asked his staff members to make sure their security cards do not cover their name badges so that he can identify them more easily.

Some of the changes are big. The company’s chief executive, Daniel L. Doctoroff, stepped down last year after it became clear that Mr. Bloomberg wanted to make his own decisions. Late last year the founder and longtime head of the news operation, Matthew Winkler, was moved aside and given an honorary title. He wasreplaced by John Micklethwait, the editor of The Economist. Mr. Bloomberg oversaw the process. Mr. Winkler’s deputy, Laurie Hays, once seen as his heir apparent, left shortly afterward.

When Mr. Bloomberg, 72, left New York’s City Hall nearly 13 months ago, some expected him to retreat to his philanthropy enterprises and devote himself full time to the social causes he has championed. Instead he has thrown himself into his news operation with vigor. His forceful assertion of the leadership there has shaken up the newsroom, nearly a dozen current and former members of the staff said in interviews, breaking old alliances and stalemates and creating uncertainty among employees as they try to carry out new initiatives and policies.

Mr. Bloomberg has changed plans, shifted strategies and looked deep into the organization to concern himself with the most minute policies and decisions, according to the current and former employees, who insisted on anonymity because of the sensitivity of talking about the former mayor’s leadership. To journalists, working under a man who is used to getting what he wants and whose name is on the building, he feels like a weather system, one former employee said — high up, uncontrollable and all-powerful.

The company declined to make Mr. Bloomberg or his senior media executives available for interviews. “Yes, he’s running the business,” said Marc LaVorgna, a Bloomberg spokesman. Mr. Bloomberg, he said, has “an ability to think globally and at the same time drill down into the details better than anyone.”

“It’s why he was successful in building and running this business, and why he was successful as mayor,” Mr. LaVorgna said.

He sits among colleagues on the fifth floor of Bloomberg L.P.’s offices on Lexington Avenue, the same area from which its television operations are run, and holds meetings near his desk. He takes Spanish lessons in a conference room.

Mr. Bloomberg, who was mayor of New York from 2002 to 2014, has never been a journalist, and the last time he ran his company its media operations were smaller. But he is fascinated with the power and potential of the media, those familiar with his thinking said.

In addition to attending some daily editorial meetings, he has smaller gatherings with senior executives, including Justin B. Smith, the chief executive of Bloomberg Media Group, who is spearheading a large-scale transformation of the company’s journalism, and Josh Tyrangiel, the editor of Businessweek magazine. Often the two emerge with new ideas or changes of direction after meeting with Mr. Bloomberg.

Mr. Bloomberg “is a complicated, brilliant man,” said Elisabeth DeMarse, who worked closely with him as head of marketing until the late 1990s. As the manager of a company, she said, he enjoys shaking things up. “He loves keeping people off-kilter,” she said. “He doesn’t let anyone get on too high of a horse.”

The media businesses, said a person familiar with their finances, are losing hundreds of millions of dollars a year for Bloomberg L.P., which gets the vast majority of more than $9 billion in annual revenue from its financial data terminals. Mr. Bloomberg aims to bring the media section’s losses under control, while ramping up the level of influence his company has in what he sees as a growth area.

He told senior editorial staff members at a conference in New York early in January that when he left to serve as mayor in 2002 his company had one news organization. When he returned, he said, it had 12, referring to separate teams for the news wire, television, radio, the web, the magazines and others. The inference some drew is that Mr. Micklethwait, who starts work next month, will be tasked with unifying them.

Mr. Bloomberg has been especially engaged with the revamping of his company’s television offerings, down to the finest details — he personally decided to kill the stock ticker scrolling across the bottom of the screen, and introduced information boxes on the right side of the picture, several employees said. He has also reviewed a new business news website, which is seen as a crucial offering for the company’s core business audience. The introduction of that site, scheduled for last Tuesday, was delayed, though apparently for technical reasons.

Mr. Bloomberg, said two people with direct knowledge of the matter, is an avid consumer of the media. He has an iPhone 6 Plus, but largely uses its Bloomberg app, for everything including email. Among the publications he reads on his iPad Mini are The New York Post and The Economist.

When he was planning for life after City Hall, he was widely expected to devote time to the business of giving away a fortune that Forbes estimates at $35 billion. But some who knew him doubted he would be content to spend his days approving grant applications. He would “rather stick pins in his eyes,” one friend said. He was also told that the White House would support him as a candidate for president of the World Bank.

But in the end he returned to his company, slowly at first, while also traveling the world on a kind of valedictory tour. As the tour ended, he became more and more hands-on at Bloomberg L.P., the company he founded in 1982, particularly its media arm.

Though he has not publicly outlined a strategy for Bloomberg’s journalism, he has told friends that people are more likely to buy terminals if the company’s other media offerings are highly influential. Broader coverage will also have a reach beyond the terminals, and can draw in those, like chief executives at businesses outside of finance, who do not subscribe. Also, public figures are more likely to give news-making interviews to a general publication than to a financial wire service.

While he was at City Hall, the news division expanded to include ambitious news reporting and investigative projects, a strategy that has at times put the newsroom’s goals at odds with those of the business side — in China, for instance, which the company views as a huge growth market for its data services. Those tensions have not yet been resolved, said people familiar with internal discussions.

A range of new products, including a politics TV show and website headed by the political journalists John Heilemann and Mark Halperin, were part of a plan put into place by Mr. Smith, whom several people described as being accountable to Mr. Bloomberg for decisions taken before his return.

“Working for Mike,” said Ms. DeMarse, who is now chief executive of TheStreet, a financial media company, “is not for everyone. You have to be very smart; you have to have a high tolerance for ambiguity; you have to be flexible, because things change so quickly. The organization can be very fluid, and your authority in it has to be earned.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/26/bu...ref=media&_r=0
post #99490 of 99504 Unread Yesterday, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nielsen Notes (Cable)
‘Sons Of Liberty’ Ratings: Finale Draws Steady 3.3 Million Viewers
By Patrick Hipes, Deadline.com - Jan. 28, 2015

History’s three-part miniseries Sons Of Liberty wrapped last night, with 3.3 million total viewers tuning in to see the finale — 1.1 million of those in the adults 18-49 demo. The network said it was the night’s most-watched cable show in total viewers, and those numbers are mostly even with Night 1 of the mini on Sunday, which drew 3.3M viewers and 1.4M in the demo.

The mini, which took an action angle on historical figures including Sam Adams, John Adams, Paul Revere, John Hancock and Dr. Joseph Warren planning the American Revolution, was a solid viewer-getter for the network but it fell short of the May 2012 phenom Hatfields & McCoys mini, which drew 13.9 million total viewers and 4.8 million adults 18-49 in its first episode which was the No. 1 nonsports telecast ever on ad-supported cable. History followed that in March 2013 with the debut of mini The Bible to a crowd of 13.1 million viewers, that year’s most-watched cable entertainment telecast.

Over its three nights, Sons Of Liberty averaged 3.1M total viewers, 1.1M adults 18-49 and 1.3M adults 25-54.

Sons Of Liberty is produced by A+E Studios in association with Stephen David Entertainment for History.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/sons-of-...es-1201361925/
post #99491 of 99504 Unread Yesterday, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
'Parenthood' forges familial bonds
By Bill Keveney, USA Today - Jan. 28, 2015

A TV series is hardly a blood relative, but it's understandable if Parenthood fans feel a bit of familial loss when the Bravermans depart NBC Thursday (10 p.m. ET/PT).

The people who make the drama, which is based on the popular 1989 movie, feel that way, too.

"You're doing work that's very personal and intimate. I find it's particularly poignant for me, and I think that feeling is shared by a lot of people who have worked on the show," executive producer Jason Katims says. "We have an incredibly passionate and loyal audience that truly loves the show. It feels satisfying to hear that time and time again."

Peter Krause, who plays Adam, the eldest of Camille and Zeek Braverman's four children, says he is happy with how Parenthood ends after six seasons, but, as with a real family, there are always more stories that could have been told.

"I feel like we finished the show and still had some gas left in the tank," he says of the series' 103 episodes. "For the Bravermans, the show remains hopeful, life goes on and there are some surprises about where some of the characters' lives wind up."

Parenthood has enjoyed an intense cult following despite modest ratings (an average of 6.2 million viewers this season), and stuck around thanks to an upscale audience profile.

A couple of the series' more memorable storylines have taken place in Adam's immediate family, as his wife, Kristina (Monica Potter) successfully battled cancer and their son, Max (Max Burkholder), progressed after a diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome.

"I thought Monica did such an incredible job with the breast cancer story. I think it brought the show to another level," Katims says.

Krause remembers "when we did the pilot, and Adam was in denial about things being wrong with his son, and then he has to slowly accept that that's happening. And then we have Adam and Kristina dealing with it and then they're OK with it. There's a community of people with autistic kids who I've gotten to meet, and it's been very meaningful to them."

Katims also is proud of the current story revolving around
Spoiler!

The penultimate episode also featured
Spoiler!

Emotion "hits me at unexpected times," Krause says. "I started to tear up when
Spoiler!
I was surprised. I was like, 'Aw, I can't believe I was sucker-punched by my own show.' "

The finale centers on a milestone family event,
Spoiler!

Sarah has moved up the ceremony to make sure her dad will be there.

"I think the finale is uplifting, even though there's some very tough material," Katims says. "Ultimately, it speaks to what the show has been about in its whole run, the power of this family coming together, the strength and beauty of that."

Both Katims and Krause say they would be interested in revisiting the Bravermans in some format shorter than a regular series.

"I love the idea," Katims says. "You look at a movie like Boyhood and see what they're able to accomplish by looking at a family over time. We've kind of done that. I would give anything to see where Max goes to college, what his first job is; to see Joel and Julia down the road a little bit; to see what happens to The Luncheonette. I'd like to see what happens to this family."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...nale/22466191/
post #99492 of 99504 Unread Today, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Bradley Cooper Drama ‘Limitless’ Among CBS Pilot Orders
By Matt Donelly, TheWrap.com - Jan. 28, 2015

CBS has ordered three new pilots, including an adaptation of a 2011 Bradley Cooper film that counts the Oscar nominee as an executive producer.

“Limitless,” originally a feature starring Cooper and Robert DeNiro, will hit the small screen steered by original director Neil Berger, Cooper and his “Hangover” director Todd Phillips.

The series will pick up where the film left off, following a man with access to a mysterious prescription drug that expands his mental capacity. In the show, the character uses his abilities to help the FBI solve crimes. The project has additional producers in Relativity honchos Ryan Kavanaugh and Tucker Tooley.

“Angel From Hell” is a comedy from writer and executive producer Tad Quill (“Scrubs”) about a woman who makes a new friend claiming to be her guardian angel. The network also scooped up an untitled project from Dan O’Shannon, who executive produced the past three seasons of “Modern Family,” that will track a group of friends and family at three different times in their lives.

The three projects come on the heels of several more announced Monday, including comedy pilots from “My Name Is Earl” and “Raising Hope” creator Greg Garcia and “Modern Family” executive producer Bill Wrubel.

On the drama side, the network has greenlit a pilot for a television adaptation of the New Line Cinema film franchise “Rush Hour.” Like the film, the pilot is about a stoic, by-the-book Hong Kong police officer who finds himself partnered with a cocky LAPD officer after he’s assigned to a case in Los Angeles.

http://www.thewrap.com/bradley-coope...-pilot-orders/

TV Notes
ABC Picks Up Drama Pilot From ‘Grey’s Anatomy,’ ‘Scandal’ Producer Jenna Bans
By Jason Hughes, TheWrap.com - Jan. 28, 2015

ABC has picked up the pilot “Flesh and Blood” from Writers Guild of America-nominated screenwriter Jenna Bans. The pilot explores the shockwaves that ripple through a family and community when a son thought dead for more than ten years suddenly returns.

The son of a local politician, the young man’s return not only knocks his tight-knit family to its core, it leads to the release of the neighbor imprisoned for his murder, while the cop responsible is forced to reexamine what truly happened all those years ago.

The ABC Studios pilot is executive produced by David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman and Laurie Zaks of Mandeville Television.

Bans earned two nominates from the WGA as co-writer on two different episodes of “Desperate Housewives.” She has served as a producer on “Private Practice,” and co-executive producer on both “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Scandal.”

The latest pilot pickup follows on the heels of several other pickups for the networking, including another drama pilot from ABC powerhouse Shonda Rhimes called “The Catch” about a female forensic accountant, and a pilot about the first female graduates from Boston’s Police Academy in 1978, from “Gossip Girl” alum Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz.

ABC picked up four other dramas including the Biblical “Of Kings and Prophets,” the 1980s-set true-crime procedural “LA Crime,” the cartel drama “Runner,” and “Quantico,” following a group of young FBI agents. The network also picked up dramedy “Mix,” which will explore modern families through the backdrop of a revered family restaurant.

On the comedy side, the network has picked up a pilot reuniting the “National Lampoon’s Vacation” couple Chevy Chase and Beverly D’Angelo, as well as another based on the life of gay columnist Dan Savage.

http://www.thewrap.com/abc-picks-up-...er-jenna-bans/
post #99493 of 99504 Unread Today, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
NBC Adds Horror Comedy Pilot 'Strange Calls'
By Lesley Goldberg, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - Jan. 28, 2015

NBC is giving Australian format Strange Calls another stab.

The network on Wednesday handed out a pilot order to a remake of the Aussie comedy, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Twice developed by ABC, the NBC take again hails from prolific producer Aaron Kaplan and his Kapital Entertainment banner.

The single-camera comedy centers on an affable but down-on-his-luck young police officer who is transferred to a rural town where — with the help of a peculiar, elderly night watchman — he starts to realize the town has a bizarre supernatural underbelly. (Watch a trailer for the Aussie series below.)

Cougar Town's Blake McCormick will pen the script and exec produce alongside Kaplan and Kapital's Tracey Robertson. The comedy hails from 20th Century Fox Television and Hoodlum Entertainment, the latter of which produced the original series.

ABC piloted the comedy last season with a cast-contingent pickup after redeveloping the script from 2012. That incarnation, written by New Girl's Donick Cary, directed by Zombieland's Ruben Fleischer and exec produced by Kaplan and Robertson, was never cast and did not move forward.

For Kaplan, who had more than 15 sales this past development season, Strange Calls marks his whopping fifth pilot order of the season and projects at all of the Big Four broadcast networks. It joins ABC comedy Chev & Bev and drama Broad Squad; CBS comedy Life in Pieces as well as an untitled Fox half-hour from Dana Klein.

Strange Calls also marks the sixth pilot to be either redeveloped or rolled from a previous cycle this season.

For NBC, it becomes the network's 10th comedy pilot of the season — off eight from a year ago.

The horror comedy joins Fox's similarly themed anthology Scream Queens, which is in the works for next season as broadcasters continue to look for new spins on the horror genre.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...y-pilot-768092
post #99494 of 99504 Unread Today, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Business Notes
Viacom Net Drops 8.6% Even As ‘Interstellar,’ Cable Fees Boost Revenue
By Brian Steinberg, Variety.com - Jan. 28, 2015

Viacom said profit in its first quarter profit fell nearly 9% despite a 4.4% rise in revenue in the period sparked by box-office results for the Christopher Nolan-helmed “Interstellar” and an increase in the amount of fees the company’s various cable networks collected from cable and satellite operators.

Net earnings from continuing operations attributable to the owner of MTV and Comedy Central fell to $500 million, or $1.20 per share, compared with $547 million, or $1.20 per share, a year earlier. The results were affected by special items, which include a tax expense and pension settlement, as well as the effects of foreign exchange. Stripping out those items, Viacom would have earned $1.29 a share.

Revenue rose to $3.34 billion from $3.2 billion. Wall Street had expected revenue of $3.41 billion.

Wall Street may focus on a 6% decrease in U.S. advertising revenue, as the broader media sector has in recent months experienced advertising declines thanks to burgeoning competition from a slew of new technologies, including mobile tablets and streaming video. Viacom said its media networks, the core business of the company, saw revenue increase to $2.65 billion, thanks to higher fees from video distributors and an increase in revenue from international advertising. The U.S. advertising decline came about due to lower ratings, the company said. Ad revenues from overseas holdings rose 3%, thanks to Channel 5, which Viacom acquired in September.

Revenue at the company’s filmed-entertainment unit rose 6%, to $720 million. Viacom cited performance in the period by “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” as well as “Interstellar.”

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/viac...ue-1201418238/
post #99495 of 99504 Unread Today, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Univision picks up rights to Miss Universe
By Media Life Magazine Staff - Jan. 28, 2015

The Miss Universe pageant generated a good amount of buzz last weekend, and Univision has decided it wants to be a part of it.

The broadcast network has picked up the U.S. Spanish-language broadcast rights to both Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants, and it will also work with the Miss Universe Organization to co-produce the annual events.

Univision says this is a long-term agreement, although there’s no word yet on how many years the deal covers.

Competing Spanish-language broadcast network Telemundo received solid numbers for the most recent Miss Universe pageant on Sunday, averaging 2.27 million total viewers, according to Nielsen. That was up 88 percent from the previous pageant in November 2013.

It was also up 98 percent among viewers 18-49, averaging 1.09 million viewers in the demo.

The pageant, which also aired on NBC, also generated a Twitter audience of 6.32 million, trailing only the State of the Union Address and the NFL Pro Bowl among TV telecasts during the week ended Jan. 25.

NBC will continue to carry the English-language telecast.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/uni...miss-universe/
post #99496 of 99504 Unread Today, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV/Business Notes
NBC scores a record haul from Super Bowl ad sales
By Meg James, Los Angeles Times - Jan. 29, 2015

NBC's Super Bowl ad sales haven't lost any air over "deflategate."

The Comcast Corp.-owned television network said Wednesday that it has sold all the available commercial spots for Sunday's NFL championship, establishing a new revenue record for what is traditionally TV's biggest event of the year.

NBC did not disclose how much it expects to generate, although executives said each 30-second spot sold for an average of $4.5 million. That could help NBC generate more than $360 million from the event.

"This is a record day, I believe, in media, and certainly for our company," Seth Winter, executive vice president of NBC's ad sales for news and sports, said during a conference call with reporters. "The NFL and the Super Bowl remain the platinum standard of all media."

This weekend's game pits last year's Super Bowl winner Seattle Seahawks against the New England Patriots, a team dogged by speculation that it deflated footballs to gain an unfair advantage in the AFC championship game. That controversy is not expected to dampen enthusiasm for the big game, with NBC predicting that an average of 115 million people in the U.S. will tune in.

Last year, Fox's broadcast of the Super Bowl brought in $332 million in ad revenue, according to an analysis by ad firm Kantar Media. Then, 30-second Super Bowl spots fetched an average of $4.2 million. More than 70 advertisers will be featured in Sunday's game.

Winter did not say how many sponsors bought multiple TV spots or longer-form ads — such as 60-second or 90-second spots. The trend in recent years has been for extended commercials as advertisers seek to make a bigger statement to stand out in the crowded field. Last year, about 40% of the commercials were 60-second spots.

NBC has been selling its Super Bowl ad time since early last year and finalized the game day roster in the last week. Once again, the lineup is expected to include beverage companies Anheuser-Busch, Coca-Cola and Pepsi, and car companies Nissan and Toyota. There are several first-time marketers, including Carnival cruise lines, Jublia antifungal cream and Mophie, a Tustin company that makes battery packs for mobile devices.

Mophie's spot will be its first on TV.

"In a certain way, there is no more effective buy than a Super Bowl commercial — if your spot catches fire," said Mike Sheldon, chief executive of ad agency Deutsch North America, which created the Mophie ad. "It is a large out-of-pocket cost but it can be small if you consider the vast amount of expose that you can get. But the commercial has to work."

In year's past, networks often would head into Super Bowl weekend with an extra spot or two after some advertisers that had committed to buy time pulled out when the production of their commercials fell short of expectations. This year, there were a couple of wobblers — Winter declined to name them — but those issues were sorted out in the last week.

As Super Bowl commercial prices continue to escalate, networks have been squeezing in more ads in order to make more money.

The last five Super Bowls have been "the most ad-saturated in history," Kantar Media said in a recent report, noting that each game was jammed with more than 45 minutes of commercials, including network and NFL promotions. Last year, there were 83 commercials.

NBC also sold all of its available space for its online video stream of the game, which it is making available free to users who want to watch on a tablet, phone or computer. Eighteen advertisers will run ads in the digital stream, which has a limited inventory for commercial spots.

"I wish we had twice the amount of inventory there, because we could have monetized it," Winter said.

The network is also making history by running a Spanish-language telecast of the NFL championship on its newly rebranded NBC Universo cable channel.

The postgame TV show on the main NBC network also has been sold out, and there are only a handful of spots available in the pregame show, which begins six hours before the game kicks off at University of Phoenix Stadium in Arizona.

A key reason that NBC was able to raise prices is because advertisers experience a Super Bowl "bounce." Their commercials are showcased on a variety of online sites such as YouTube and Hulu. People get involved by voting for their favorite ads and sharing videos on social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

According to a recent analysis by the firm iSpot.tv, Super Bowl commercials that ran last year accounted for nearly 10% of all digital conversations about advertising in 2014. And Super Bowl ads made up about less than 1% of the 95,660 national TV ads that ran in 2014.

"Everyone recognizes the value of Super Bowl, and price was never an issue," Winter said.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...129-story.html
post #99497 of 99504 Unread Today, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Comcast Apologizes After Changing Customer's Name To 'A**hole Brown'
By Ed Mazza

A Comcast customer received a shocking bill recently, and it wasn't the dollar amount that stood out. It was the name on the bill, which someone at the company had changed from Ricardo Brown to "A**hole Brown."
Consumer advocate Christopher Elliott wrote on his Elliot.org website that Lisa Brown of Spokane, Wash., had called the company to cancel the cable portion of her family's bill to save money. But as we've seen in the past, Comcast doesn't make the cancellation process very easy for the customer.

Brown was transferred to a retention specialist, who then tried to persuade her to sign up for a new contract.

“I was never rude,” Brown told Elliot. “It could have been that person was upset because I didn’t take the offer.”

When the next bill came, her husband's name had been changed to the profanity. Making matters worse, Brown told Elliot that calls to the cable company and even a visit to a Comcast office couldn't get the name changed.

Comcast confirmed to The Huffington Post that the bill was real, and said the company was taking action

"We have spoken with our customer and apologized for this completely unacceptable and inappropriate name change," Comcast spokesman Steve Kipp said via email. "We have zero tolerance for this type of disrespectful behavior and are conducting a thorough investigation to determine what happened. We are working with our customer to make this right and will take appropriate steps to prevent this from happening again."

Elliot, who is also a Huffington Post blogger, reports that Comcast plans to fix the name, terminate the employee responsible, give Brown a refund for the family's two years of service and add two more years of service for free.
post #99498 of 99504 Unread Today, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
... Comcast plans to fix the name, terminate the employee responsible, give Brown a refund for the family's two years of service and add two more years of service for free.
I wouldn't mind being called much, much worse things if it meant not paying my two previous years of cable and getting two more for free.
mchief99 and Nayan like this.
post #99499 of 99504 Unread Today, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
THURSDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)

ABC:
8PM - Grey's Anatomy
9PM - Scandal
10PM - How to Get Away with Murder
11:35AM - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Kerry Washington; animal handler Dave Salmoni; Ne-Yo performs)
12:37AM - Nightline

CBS:
8PM - The Big Bang Theory
8:31PM - Mom
9:01PM - Two and a Half Men
9:30PM - The McCarthys
10PM - Elementary
11:35PM - Late Show with David Letterman (John Oliver; Mayim Bialik; Death Cab for Cutie performs)
12:37AM - The Late Late Show (Whitney Cummings guest hosts; Alan Cumming; Alison Brie; Joanne Froggatt; OK Go performs)

NBC:
8PM - The Biggest Loser (Season Finale, 120 min.)
10PM - Parenthood (Series Finale)
11:34AM - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Josh Hutcherson; Tracey Ullman; Echosmith performs)
(R - Nov. 13)
12:36AM - Late Night with Seth Myers (Kristen Stewart; Andrew Rannells; comic Phoebe Robinson)
(R - Jan. 15)
1:37AM - Last Call with Carson Daly (Director Dan Gilroy; Broods performs; comic Grant Cotter)
(R - Oct. 30)

FOX:
8PM - American Idol
9PM - Backstrom

PBS:
(check your local listing for starting time/programming)
8PM - The 'This Old House' Hour
9PM - Masterpiece Mystery! Grantchester, Episode 2
(R - Jan. 25)
10PM - Antiques Roadshow: Austin
(R - Jan. 26)

UNIVISION:
8PM - Mi Corazón Es Tuyo
9PM - Hasta el Final del Mundo
10PM - Que te Perdone Dios... Yo No

THE CW:
8PM - The Vampire Diaries
9PM - Reign

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - Los Miserables
9PM - Tierra de Reyes
10PM - Dueños del Paraíso

COMEDY CENTRAL:
11PM - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Author Sarah Chayes)
11:31PM - The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore
12:01AM - At Midnight (Randy Sklar; Jason Sklar; Matt Walsh)

TBS:
11PM - Conan (Simon Helberg, George Ezra and Tanishq Abraham)
post #99500 of 99504 Unread Today, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Comcast Apologizes After Changing Customer's Name To 'A**hole Brown'
By Ed Mazza ....

Elliot, who is also a Huffington Post blogger, reports that Comcast plans to fix the name, terminate the employee responsible, give Brown a refund for the family's two years of service and add two more years of service for free.
Comcast plans to fix the name and give the refund and hasn't done those things yet?  I can understand planning to fire the guilty employee, because at the time of their statement they might not yet have figured out who it is, and saying they plan to add two years of service because the two years haven't fully happened yet and because the Browns might decline it, but fixing the name and giving the refund should already have been accomplished, not just planned.
post #99501 of 99504 Unread Today, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
Marvell should really start to be concerned about over saturation at this point....
That's my concern as well.
post #99502 of 99504 Unread Today, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Exclamation

Quote:
TV/Business Notes

Bernstein Research’s Todd Juenger calls it “desperate,” and MoffettNathanson Research’s Michael Nathanson calls it “dangerous.” But both analysts, using data from TiVo, say this morning that the trend is unmistakable: Major TV network owners led by Viacom, A+E, and Discovery significantly increased the amount of prime time commercial minutes in their shows in Q4, helping to compensate for a decline in viewing.

It’s an important consideration for investors as they await media companies’ Q4 financial results — and views about whether digital platforms are beginning to siphon ad dollars from TV. Increasing clutter is short-sighted, Juenger says, because “viewer engagement is certainly reduced” leaving buyers reaching the “brain-dead.” And that “doesn’t seem like an attractive audience target for many brands, except maybe certain infomercial products.”

He singles out Viacom, A+E and Discovery as “the worst offenders” among major cable network owners when you factor out sports and kids programming, with commercial time increases of more than 3.5% vs the last three months of 2013. Time Warner “was close behind,” particularly at Adult Swim and TBS. Indeed, Viacom and A+E accounted for nine of the 10 most ad-loaded cable nets. Leading the list are CMT (with 109.1 prime time commercial hours in the quarter), Lifetime (98.6), MTV (98.4), TV Land (97.4), and VH1 (95.5). [It should be noted that Juenger is one of Viacom’s most vigorous critics.]

Nathanson — who has identified the ad clutter problem before — also observes that it’s easy to become hooked on the strategy and to keep adding spots to cover up for weak programming. As radio companies discovered a decade ago, “once the genie is out of the bottle, it is nearly impossible to put it back in.”

Among the broadcast networks, his tally shows that Fox increased commercial time by 12%, with CBS +1% while ABC was down 2% and NBC dropped 7%.

But in cable “the most aggressive network owners were those with the worst ratings trends,” Nathanson says. His measure of commercial time showed Viacom +8% (with its target demo C3 audience down 15%), A+E +6% (audience -24%), Discovery +5% (audience -6%), Scripps Networks +2 (audience -4%), and NBCUniversal +2% (audience -13%).

The only company that cut airtime for ads was Disney, -4% even though its cable audience was down 5%.

Readers, forgive me if I'm running this into the ground, but here's the proof about what I've known for over a decade now. Pay-TV is skating on thin ice, I've NEVER seen a business raise it's prices and lower the quality of their product stay in business for long. Over the years I've seen countless businesses, many of which used to be household names do the same thing and where are they now? They're all dust in the wind. The move to cram in more advertising in an attempt to "Compensate for the loss of viewers" is suicidal. Those who are still viewing will continue to be dismayed for what they are paying for to see, and will respond by doing the same thing I and millions of others are doing, receive their entertainment and informational means via other means. A house divided against stand, and when the entire Pay-TV system crashes, don't say I didn't warn you!
post #99503 of 99504 Unread Today, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Exclamation

Quote:
TV/Business Notes

Bernstein Research’s Todd Juenger calls it “desperate,” and MoffettNathanson Research’s Michael Nathanson calls it “dangerous.” But both analysts, using data from TiVo, say this morning that the trend is unmistakable: Major TV network owners led by Viacom, A+E, and Discovery significantly increased the amount of prime time commercial minutes in their shows in Q4, helping to compensate for a decline in viewing.

Readers, forgive me if I'm running this into the ground, but here's the proof about what I've known for over a decade now. Pay-TV is skating on thin ice, I've NEVER seen a business raise it's prices and lower the quality of their product stay in business for long. Over the years I've seen countless businesses, many of which used to be household names do the same thing and where are they now? They're all dust in the wind. The move to cram in more advertising in an attempt to "Compensate for the loss of viewers" is suicidal. Those who are still viewing will continue to be dismayed for what they are paying for to see, and will respond by doing the same thing I and millions of others are doing, receive their entertainment and informational means via other means. A house divided against stand, and when the entire Pay-TV system crashes, don't say I didn't warn you!
post #99504 of 99504 Unread Today, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Dont care i FF commercials.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page