Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 3344 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > HDTV > HDTV Programming > Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information

HDTV Programming

NetworkTV's Avatar NetworkTV
11:46 AM Liked: 564
post #100291 of 100305
Today | Posts: 15,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
Business/Critic's Notes
Apple in Dow. What took so long?
By Edward C. Baig, USA Today - Mar. 6, 2015

Lots of people think the watch will be the catalyst for the entire wearable category, just as Apple Pay is making an impact on the still-burgeoning field of mobile payments.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/c...long/24497193/
No offense, but as someone who has tried using the tap and pay features out in the real world, I can say for certain that the only thing Apple has done that Google didn't already do is encourage companies like Walmart to create their own payment services to compete in the marketplace and (in the process) disable the universal tap and pay functions already present in their payment pads. For example, following the credit card breach at Home Depot, I began using my phone to pay for purchases there since Home Depot never gets my credit card information when I do. They've since joined the many stores disabling that feature and only allowing swipe-based payments. The same goes for CVS.

The only places I ever shop that still actually accept tap and pay purchases are Walgreen's and my eye doctor. While there other places also do, I don't shop at those places (or there aren't any locations near me).

So, for me, the whole Apple Pay/Tap and Pay system is a bust and only getting worse as more places get bribed into going with CurrentC. In other words, almost no one that wasn't already equipped to accept tap and pay actually signed on after Apple came out with Apple pay. Yet, several businesses have diabled the function since then. In other words, it wasn't so great with Google, but it's actually worse now.

The only thing Apple did was get a bunch of Apple fans worked up and calling for boycotts. Since then, not a peep and no signs that angry Apple users had any affect on expanding the system.

In other words, I don't think the phone-based payment systems are burgeoning at all. In fact, the whole thing is dying before anyone even gets on board due to yet another format war that, to this day, has caused serious harm to the physical media side of the home video industry.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan
12:12 PM Liked: 573
post #100292 of 100305
Today | Posts: 28,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
No offense, but as someone who has tried using the tap and pay features out in the real world, I can say for certain that the only thing Apple has done that Google didn't already do is encourage companies like Walmart to create their own payment services to compete in the marketplace and (in the process) disable the universal tap and pay functions already present in their payment pads. For example, following the credit card breach at Home Depot, I began using my phone to pay for purchases there since Home Depot never gets my credit card information when I do. They've since joined the many stores disabling that feature and only allowing swipe-based payments. The same goes for CVS.

The only places I ever shop that still actually accept tap and pay purchases are Walgreen's and my eye doctor. While there other places also do, I don't shop at those places (or there aren't any locations near me).

So, for me, the whole Apple Pay/Tap and Pay system is a bust and only getting worse as more places get bribed into going with CurrentC. In other words, almost no one that wasn't already equipped to accept tap and pay actually signed on after Apple came out with Apple pay. Yet, several businesses have diabled the function since then. In other words, it wasn't so great with Google, but it's actually worse now.

The only thing Apple did was get a bunch of Apple fans worked up and calling for boycotts. Since then, not a peep and no signs that angry Apple users had any affect on expanding the system.

In other words, I don't think the phone-based payment systems are burgeoning at all. In fact, the whole thing is dying before anyone even gets on board due to yet another format war that, to this day, has caused serious harm to the physical media side of the home video industry.
And apparently fraud rates are much higher with Apple Pay,

Abraham said it’s not “an anomaly” to see fraud accounting for about 6% of Apple Pay transactions, compared to about 0.1% of transactions using a plastic card to swipe. He noted that fraud rates vary by issuing bank.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/03/...-to-apple-pay/

Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives
01:05 PM Liked: 547
post #100293 of 100305
Today | Posts: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
[I]Abraham said it’s not “an anomaly” to see fraud accounting for about 6% of Apple Pay transactions, compared to about 0.1% of transactions using a plastic card to swipe.
Now if only the US would get in line with the rest of the world and start using chip and PIN cards instead of chip and signature cards, magnetic stripe cards, or mobile payments that time and again prove prone to misuse. As if signatures weren't bad enough, now we have mobile payment firms turning out to be even worse. I'm sorry, but I'm not trusting my financial security to a device that automatically connects to unsecured wireless networks as I walk around.
Nayan's Avatar Nayan
01:20 PM Liked: 273
post #100294 of 100305
Today | Posts: 2,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm not trusting my financial security to a device that automatically connects to unsecured wireless networks as I walk around.
People laugh when I pay for stuff in cash, but my reply is 'cash doesn't get hacked'. I love technology, but some of it I refuse to use.
NetworkTV's Avatar NetworkTV
01:59 PM Liked: 564
post #100295 of 100305
Today | Posts: 15,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm not trusting my financial security to a device that automatically connects to unsecured wireless networks as I walk around.
A couple of points:

1 - Your device should not be automatically connecting to unsecure networks unless you have specifically allowed your device to previously connect to those networks. It won't automatically connect to any new network without you first saying it's OK.

2 - Secured or unsecured networks don't matter with a payment system like Google Pay. It's an encrypted transaction just like buying something on Amazon.com. You could yell to everyone in the store that you're making a purchase and even allow someone to connect to your device via NFC or as a wifi hotspot on it's own and they still wouldn't be able decrypt the information.

3 - The transaction with your payment choice doesn't happen at the store with Google's system. It happens on their servers, and a phantom Mastercard number is used to make the payment to the store. Your payment information is not contained in the phone and is never seen by the store. Further, it is never transmitted in any way. Google simply debits your card of choice at their end. Apple works similarly, but with minor differences that provide security in other ways.

As far as fraudulent charges, someone using a stolen card through Apple Pay is something that can happen with any card or web transaction. It's also between the banks and Apple and has nothing to do with the security of your transactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
People laugh when I pay for stuff in cash, but my reply is 'cash doesn't get hacked'. I love technology, but some of it I refuse to use.
Yes, but cash is the property of whomever possesses it. If it's stolen from you, it's on you. It's gone and you are unlikely to be able to get it back. With a card, you're protected.

In the world of theft, some of the worst things (in order) to have stolen are:

- Your Social Security Number, which is really, really almost impossible to have re-issued and can affect your credit history forever.
- Cash, which can't be replaced when stolen.
- Bank Account Number, which is a lot harder to deal with than a credit card, but harder and more time consuming to use fraudulently. Having said that, if a payment service using that account gets hacked, it can become far easier to make debits to it. That's why I would never use CurrentC.
- Debit Card, which is usually protected like a credit card, but your out any fraudulent purchases until they get waived.
- Credit Card, which is usually liability free when stolen, though you do have to report it first.

Having your phone stolen can be bad, depending upon how much personal information you keep on it and how secure you method of locking it is. On it's own, using it with a payment service isn't a security risk since even in the app your credit card number on file is blocked out from view. However, other personal information you might have on it can certainly allow someone to assume your identity. That's why it's so important to lock it when not in use and make sure you keep track of it.

I saw an ad the other day that claimed the average person will lose 4 cell phones in their lifetime. Well, I've had several cell phones over the years since the mid 80's and they're all in a box in my closet. Not one lost one (I'm on number 7). What it sounds like is people need to treat their phones like a wallet, which it sometimes is just as valuable. Of course, with the way some people are always texting and tweeting, it makes me wonder when they could possibly lose the phone. Don't they notice not having it for 5 minutes?
humdinger70's Avatar humdinger70
04:21 PM Liked: 75
post #100296 of 100305
Today | Posts: 3,805
Quote:
Obituary
‘Star Trek’ Producer Harve Bennett Dies
By Dave McNary, Variety.com - Mar. 5, 2015

Harve Bennett, who produced four “Star Trek” movies and the TV series “Mod Squad,” “The Six Million Dollar Man” and “The Bionic Woman,” died Wednesday in Medford, Ore. He was 84.

Bennett’s passing came less than a week after the Feb. 27 death of “Star Trek” star Leonard Nimoy.

Bennett, a native of Chicago, broke into show business as a young boy on the radio program “Quiz Kids.” He graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles film school and began his career as a production executive at CBS in New York City and later at ABC.

Bennett joined Aaron Spelling in developing and producing “The Mod Squad,” then moved to Universal, where he produced “The Six Million Dollar Man,” “The Bionic Woman” and “Gemini Man.” He then worked at Columbia Pictures Television on “Salvage 1,” “The Jesse Owens Story” and “A Woman Called Golda.”

He was then recruited by Charles Bluhdorn, head of Paramount parent Gulf+Western, to produce a second “Star Trek” movie and developed “Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan,” based on the TV episode “Space Seed” which featured Ricardo Montalban as the villain Khan Noonien Singh.

Bennett also produced the next three Star Trek films: “The Search for Spock,” “The Voyage Home” and “The Final Frontier.”

He also produced “Crash Landing: The Rescue of Flight 232″ and the series “Time Trax” and “Invasion America.”

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/st...ad-1201447374/
Harv's the reason why we had the second thru sixth Star Trek movies. He rescued the franchise after the mediocre response to "Star Trek: The Motion Picture". He made it look like the ST:TOS we knew and loved.

RIP, Harv. May your spirit (if not flesh) LLAP.
dad1153's Avatar dad1153
05:21 PM Liked: 254
post #100297 of 100305
Today | Posts: 37,832
TV Notes
NBC Cancels Freshman Drama ‘Allegiance’ After Five Episodes
By Elizabeth Wagmeister and Rick Kissell, Variety.com - Mar. 6, 2015

NBC has cancelled freshman drama “Allegiance,” Variety has learned.

The spy drama premiered Feb. 5 to 5 million total viewers and aired its final episode this week on March 5, totaling out at 3.4 million viewers.

The cancellation shakes up NBC’s Thursday night schedule, with the 10 p.m. slot opening up, being filled temporarily by “The Slap” miniseries. The network is boosting “The Blacklist” with the addition of a show-specific “Dateline” series.

“Dateline: The Real Blacklist” will air at 8 p.m., leading into the 9 p.m. James Spader thriller. “The Real Blacklist,” hosted by NBC News’ Richard Engel, will focus on conspiracy-themed investigations and crimes that involve larger-than-life perpetrators and circumstances.

“The Blacklist” has been serving as the tentpole of NBC’s Thursday since its premiere in February, often drawing more than double the demo rating of the new shows on either side of it, “The Slap” and “Allegiance.” “Slap” is seen as having more potential going forward, hence its move behind “Blacklist” starting next week.

The competition for “Slap” at 10 p.m. will be ABC’s new “American Crime,” which had a decent bow last night, and CBS’ modest performer “Elementary.”

By putting a seemingly stronger, more compatible show in front of “Blacklist,” NBC is hoping to increase the same-night viewership of the James Spader drama, which remains an especially big gainer in DVR playback. In same-night numbers, “Blacklist” usually finishes third in its timeslot.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/nbc-...ed-1201447890/
dad1153's Avatar dad1153
05:25 PM Liked: 254
post #100298 of 100305
TV Notes
Disney Channel Orders ‘Best Friends Whenever’ Series Starring Landry Bender
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Mar. 6, 2015

On the heels of giving a straight-to-series order to a Jessie spinoff featuring young actors from the departing mothership comedy, Disney Channel is handing out a direct-to-series pickup to another project toplined by an actress from a Disney sitcom that has recently ended. The network has ordered comedy series Best Friends Whenever starring Landry Bender from Crash & Bernstein, which aired on sibling channel Disney XD for two seasons. Also starring in the new series are newcomer Lauren Taylor and Gus Kamp (Deadtime Stories: The Beast Of Baskerville)

Created by Jed Elinoff and Scott Thomas (XD’s Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja), Best Friends Whenever centers on teenagers Shelby (Taylor) and Cyd (Bender), who when a science experiment goes wrong, become unstuck in time, leaping forward and backward whenever they want…and sometimes even when they don’t. Now with the help of their next-door neighbor, teenage genius Barry (Kamp), the girls must learn to master their awesome new power as they time-shift through high school.

Elinoff, Thomas and Michael Kaplan (Dog With A Blog) will executive produce. Shelley Jensen (Austin & Ally) will direct multiple episodes. Production begins in March for a premiere later this year.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/best-fri...rs-1201387463/
grittree's Avatar grittree
05:26 PM Liked: 26
post #100299 of 100305
Today | Posts: 2,111
Quote:
TV Notes
Among the best ever reasons for DVRs (with big storage). A few clicks removes the five eps, and we haven't wasted 200 minutes of our lives.
dad1153's Avatar dad1153
05:35 PM Liked: 254
post #100300 of 100305
Nielsen Notes (Broadcast)
February sweep’s winners and losers
Winners: 'Empire,' 'ABC World News,' CBS comedies and 'SNL'
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Mar. 6, 2015

Last year it was pretty obvious who the winners and losers were during the February sweep.

The winners were the Super Bowl and the Winter Olympics. The losers were everything else.

But this year, while featuring another record for the big game, was a bit more complicated, including some interesting developments in dayparts outside of primetime, whose sweeps numbers just came in this week.

So here’s a look back at the big winners and losers of this sweep period and why they matter as the season moves on.

WINNERS

Super Bowl

Of course, the top-rated show of the month by a wide margin was important, but its greatest significance was in lifting NBC to first place in sweeps for the second straight year.

‘Empire’

Broadcast’s new No. 1 drama has been unbelievably impressive. In fact, Fox says the show’s pilot, which premiered in January, is still averaging 100,000 views a day online.

That’s staying power.

‘ABC World News Tonight with David Muir’

Lester Holt and “NBC Nightly News” still won the month in total viewers, but with Brian Williams’ suspension, Muir lifted ABC to its best February sweep viewership in eight years and its closest finish to NBC in seven. The gap between NBC and ABC is thin.

CBS comedies

“Two and a Half Men” went out on a two-year high. “The Odd Couple” debuted to good ratings. “Mom” is holding up okay in its new timeslot. And of course “The Big Bang Theory” remains TV’s top sitcom by a wide margin.

‘SNL 40th Anniversary Special’

A galaxy of stars lifted the special to outstanding numbers, finishing as one of the top five programs of sweeps. It was a reminder that stunting can still be worth it.

LOSERS

NBC’s new dramas

The network is desperate to rebuild Thursday night, but it won’t do it with ratings losers like “The Slap” and “Allegiance.” The bigger worry is that these shows will hurt the show they air around, top NBC drama “The Blacklist.”

‘The View’

ABC’s daytime talk show sprung a leak last month when Rosie O’Donnell abruptly quit the show for the second time. Though “View” remained just ahead of daytime rival “The Talk” on CBS, the latter posted its best-ever February sweep audience while “View” was in turmoil.

‘Glee’

Fox is undoubtedly regretting the decision to bring the show back for a final-season encore. It’s fallen to series lows on Friday night.

Awards shows

Yes, the Oscars and the Grammys were among the top three broadcast shows during sweeps. However, both were down from last year and were criticized for creative problems.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/the...rs-and-losers/
Mark12547's Avatar Mark12547
05:36 PM Liked: 150
post #100301 of 100305
Today | Posts: 825
Quote:
TV Notes
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
Among the best ever reasons for DVRs (with big storage). A few clicks removes the five eps, and we haven't wasted 200 minutes of our lives.
Three episodes in my case (I had already watched the first two). At this moment my local NBC affiliate and the Guide in the Comcast DVR show Allegiance for this coming Thursday, but www.nbc.com doesn't list it as a current show, but the schedule at www.nbc.com does list it for this coming Thursday.

I won't be deleting the show until I find out for sure that the show won't be wrapped up, but I am not holding my breath. Neither am I going to watch more episodes just to be disappointed.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan
05:42 PM Liked: 573
post #100302 of 100305
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
Exactly what I'll be doing tonight. From what I gather this was a weak copy-cat of FX's 'The Americans' anyway, just watch the original.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan
05:48 PM Liked: 573
post #100303 of 100305
Quote:
TV Review
'American Crime': A downbeat but powerful drama, as timely as tomorrow's news
Watched this last night and it might just be a keeper. Metacritic has it at an 84 and that's nothing to sneeze at.

Good write-up about this style of drama,

The Rise of the Slow Crime Procedural
dad1153's Avatar dad1153
05:49 PM Liked: 254
post #100304 of 100305
TV Notes
'Supergirl' Melissa Benoist Revealed in First CBS Photos
By Lesley Goldberg, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - Mar. 6, 2015

Melissa Benoist is suited up and ready to fly in CBS' Supergirl.

Producer Warner Bros. Television has released the first-look photos of the Glee and Whiplash breakout in the official costume as DC Comics character Supergirl.

The costume was designed by three-time Oscar-winner Colleen Atwood, who also served in the same capacity for WBTV/The CW's DC takes Arrow and The Flash.

"In designing Supergirl, I wanted to embrace the past but more importantly, thrust her into the street-style action hero of today," said Atwood, who earned Oscars for Into the Woods, Snow White and the Huntsman and Sweeney Todd.

Production on the pilot started this week in Los Angeles.

The drama centers on Kara Zor-El (Benoist), Superman's cousin, who was born on the planet Krypton and escaped amid its destruction years ago. After arriving on Earth, Kara was taken in by a foster family, the Danvers, who taught her to be careful with her extraordinary powers (which she shares with her famous cousin).

Brothers & Sisters and Ally McBeal alum Calista Flockhart co-stars as DC Comics character Cat Grant, True Blood's Mehcad Brooks is set as Jimmy Olsen; Homeland's David Harewood is DC Comics character Hank Henshaw; and Grey's Anatomy's Chyler Leigh plays Alexandra "Alex" Danvers, the confident foster sister of Kara. Laura Benanti will recur, while former Supergirl Helen Slater and former Superman Dean Cain will guest-star in the pilot.

Arrow and Flash's Greg Berlanti and his No Ordinary Family cohort Ali Adler (The New Normal) as well as Arrow and Flash EP Andrew Kreisberg will pen the script and executive produce the drama via Berlanti Productions' Warner Bros. Television-based banner Berlanti Productions' topper Sarah Schechter also is on board to executive produce.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...d-first-779803
veedon's Avatar veedon
05:54 PM Liked: 108
post #100305 of 100305
Today | Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
I agree. Besides, if I'm going to get robbed, I want the robbers to have to burn some calories during the crime. Maybe even break a sweat, if I decide to fight back.

Reply HDTV Programming

Subscribe to this Thread