Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 3344 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1131Likes
post #100291 of 100295 Old Today, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
Business/Critic's Notes
Apple in Dow. What took so long?
By Edward C. Baig, USA Today - Mar. 6, 2015

Lots of people think the watch will be the catalyst for the entire wearable category, just as Apple Pay is making an impact on the still-burgeoning field of mobile payments.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/c...long/24497193/
No offense, but as someone who has tried using the tap and pay features out in the real world, I can say for certain that the only thing Apple has done that Google didn't already do is encourage companies like Walmart to create their own payment services to compete in the marketplace and (in the process) disable the universal tap and pay functions already present in their payment pads. For example, following the credit card breach at Home Depot, I began using my phone to pay for purchases there since Home Depot never gets my credit card information when I do. They've since joined the many stores disabling that feature and only allowing swipe-based payments. The same goes for CVS.

The only places I ever shop that still actually accept tap and pay purchases are Walgreen's and my eye doctor. While there other places also do, I don't shop at those places (or there aren't any locations near me).

So, for me, the whole Apple Pay/Tap and Pay system is a bust and only getting worse as more places get bribed into going with CurrentC. In other words, almost no one that wasn't already equipped to accept tap and pay actually signed on after Apple came out with Apple pay. Yet, several businesses have diabled the function since then. In other words, it wasn't so great with Google, but it's actually worse now.

The only thing Apple did was get a bunch of Apple fans worked up and calling for boycotts. Since then, not a peep and no signs that angry Apple users had any affect on expanding the system.

In other words, I don't think the phone-based payment systems are burgeoning at all. In fact, the whole thing is dying before anyone even gets on board due to yet another format war that, to this day, has caused serious harm to the physical media side of the home video industry.
jim tressler and Nayan like this.

Last edited by NetworkTV; Today at 11:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #100292 of 100295 Unread Today, 12:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
No offense, but as someone who has tried using the tap and pay features out in the real world, I can say for certain that the only thing Apple has done that Google didn't already do is encourage companies like Walmart to create their own payment services to compete in the marketplace and (in the process) disable the universal tap and pay functions already present in their payment pads. For example, following the credit card breach at Home Depot, I began using my phone to pay for purchases there since Home Depot never gets my credit card information when I do. They've since joined the many stores disabling that feature and only allowing swipe-based payments. The same goes for CVS.

The only places I ever shop that still actually accept tap and pay purchases are Walgreen's and my eye doctor. While there other places also do, I don't shop at those places (or there aren't any locations near me).

So, for me, the whole Apple Pay/Tap and Pay system is a bust and only getting worse as more places get bribed into going with CurrentC. In other words, almost no one that wasn't already equipped to accept tap and pay actually signed on after Apple came out with Apple pay. Yet, several businesses have diabled the function since then. In other words, it wasn't so great with Google, but it's actually worse now.

The only thing Apple did was get a bunch of Apple fans worked up and calling for boycotts. Since then, not a peep and no signs that angry Apple users had any affect on expanding the system.

In other words, I don't think the phone-based payment systems are burgeoning at all. In fact, the whole thing is dying before anyone even gets on board due to yet another format war that, to this day, has caused serious harm to the physical media side of the home video industry.
And apparently fraud rates are much higher with Apple Pay,

Abraham said it’s not “an anomaly” to see fraud accounting for about 6% of Apple Pay transactions, compared to about 0.1% of transactions using a plastic card to swipe. He noted that fraud rates vary by issuing bank.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/03/...-to-apple-pay/
Nayan likes this.
post #100293 of 100295 Unread Today, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
[I]Abraham said it’s not “an anomaly” to see fraud accounting for about 6% of Apple Pay transactions, compared to about 0.1% of transactions using a plastic card to swipe.
Now if only the US would get in line with the rest of the world and start using chip and PIN cards instead of chip and signature cards, magnetic stripe cards, or mobile payments that time and again prove prone to misuse. As if signatures weren't bad enough, now we have mobile payment firms turning out to be even worse. I'm sorry, but I'm not trusting my financial security to a device that automatically connects to unsecured wireless networks as I walk around.
Keenan and Nayan like this.
post #100294 of 100295 Unread Today, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm not trusting my financial security to a device that automatically connects to unsecured wireless networks as I walk around.
People laugh when I pay for stuff in cash, but my reply is 'cash doesn't get hacked'. I love technology, but some of it I refuse to use.

Sorry BHN, I went to the 'dark side'. Crap I say
post #100295 of 100295 Unread Today, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm not trusting my financial security to a device that automatically connects to unsecured wireless networks as I walk around.
A couple of points:

1 - Your device should not be automatically connecting to unsecure networks unless you have specifically allowed your device to previously connect to those networks. It won't automatically connect to any new network without you first saying it's OK.

2 - Secured or unsecured networks don't matter with a payment system like Google Pay. It's an encrypted transaction just like buying something on Amazon.com. You could yell to everyone in the store that you're making a purchase and even allow someone to connect to your device via NFC or as a wifi hotspot on it's own and they still wouldn't be able decrypt the information.

3 - The transaction with your payment choice doesn't happen at the store with Google's system. It happens on their servers, and a phantom Mastercard number is used to make the payment to the store. Your payment information is not contained in the phone and is never seen by the store. Further, it is never transmitted in any way. Google simply debits your card of choice at their end. Apple works similarly, but with minor differences that provide security in other ways.

As far as fraudulent charges, someone using a stolen card through Apple Pay is something that can happen with any card or web transaction. It's also between the banks and Apple and has nothing to do with the security of your transactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
People laugh when I pay for stuff in cash, but my reply is 'cash doesn't get hacked'. I love technology, but some of it I refuse to use.
Yes, but cash is the property of whomever possesses it. If it's stolen from you, it's on you. It's gone and you are unlikely to be able to get it back. With a card, you're protected.

In the world of theft, some of the worst things (in order) to have stolen are:

- Your Social Security Number, which is really, really almost impossible to have re-issued and can affect your credit history forever.
- Cash, which can't be replaced when stolen.
- Bank Account Number, which is a lot harder to deal with than a credit card, but harder and more time consuming to use fraudulently. Having said that, if a payment service using that account gets hacked, it can become far easier to make debits to it. That's why I would never use CurrentC.
- Debit Card, which is usually protected like a credit card, but your out any fraudulent purchases until they get waived.
- Credit Card, which is usually liability free when stolen, though you do have to report it first.

Having your phone stolen can be bad, depending upon how much personal information you keep on it and how secure you method of locking it is. On it's own, using it with a payment service isn't a security risk since even in the app your credit card number on file is blocked out from view. However, other personal information you might have on it can certainly allow someone to assume your identity. That's why it's so important to lock it when not in use and make sure you keep track of it.

I saw an ad the other day that claimed the average person will lose 4 cell phones in their lifetime. Well, I've had several cell phones over the years since the mid 80's and they're all in a box in my closet. Not one lost one (I'm on number 7). What it sounds like is people need to treat their phones like a wallet, which it sometimes is just as valuable. Of course, with the way some people are always texting and tweeting, it makes me wonder when they could possibly lose the phone. Don't they notice not having it for 5 minutes?

Last edited by NetworkTV; Today at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page