Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 3344 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1129Likes

post #100291 of 100293 Old Today, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
Business/Critic's Notes
Apple in Dow. What took so long?
By Edward C. Baig, USA Today - Mar. 6, 2015

Lots of people think the watch will be the catalyst for the entire wearable category, just as Apple Pay is making an impact on the still-burgeoning field of mobile payments.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/c...long/24497193/
No offense, but as someone who has tried using the tap and pay features out in the real world, I can say for certain that the only thing Apple has done that Google didn't already do is encourage companies like Walmart to create their own payment services to compete in the marketplace and (in the process) disable the universal tap and pay functions already present in their payment pads. For example, following the credit card breach at Home Depot, I began using my phone to pay for purchases there since Home Depot never gets my credit card information when I do. They've since joined the many stores disabling that feature and only allowing swipe-based payments. The same goes for CVS.

The only places I ever shop that still actually accept tap and pay purchases are Walgreen's and my eye doctor. While there other places also do, I don't shop at those places (or there aren't any locations near me).

So, for me, the whole Apple Pay/Tap and Pay system is a bust and only getting worse as more places get bribed into going with CurrentC. In other words, almost no one that wasn't already equipped to accept tap and pay actually signed on after Apple came out with Apple pay. Yet, several businesses have diabled the function since then. In other words, it wasn't so great with Google, but it's actually worse now.

The only thing Apple did was get a bunch of Apple fans worked up and calling for boycotts. Since then, not a peep and no signs that angry Apple users had any affect on expanding the system.

In other words, I don't think the phone-based payment systems are burgeoning at all. In fact, the whole thing is dying before anyone even gets on board due to yet another format war that, to this day, has caused serious harm to the physical media side of the home video industry.
jim tressler and Nayan like this.

Last edited by NetworkTV; Today at 11:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #100292 of 100293 Old Today, 12:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
No offense, but as someone who has tried using the tap and pay features out in the real world, I can say for certain that the only thing Apple has done that Google didn't already do is encourage companies like Walmart to create their own payment services to compete in the marketplace and (in the process) disable the universal tap and pay functions already present in their payment pads. For example, following the credit card breach at Home Depot, I began using my phone to pay for purchases there since Home Depot never gets my credit card information when I do. They've since joined the many stores disabling that feature and only allowing swipe-based payments. The same goes for CVS.

The only places I ever shop that still actually accept tap and pay purchases are Walgreen's and my eye doctor. While there other places also do, I don't shop at those places (or there aren't any locations near me).

So, for me, the whole Apple Pay/Tap and Pay system is a bust and only getting worse as more places get bribed into going with CurrentC. In other words, almost no one that wasn't already equipped to accept tap and pay actually signed on after Apple came out with Apple pay. Yet, several businesses have diabled the function since then. In other words, it wasn't so great with Google, but it's actually worse now.

The only thing Apple did was get a bunch of Apple fans worked up and calling for boycotts. Since then, not a peep and no signs that angry Apple users had any affect on expanding the system.

In other words, I don't think the phone-based payment systems are burgeoning at all. In fact, the whole thing is dying before anyone even gets on board due to yet another format war that, to this day, has caused serious harm to the physical media side of the home video industry.
And apparently fraud rates are much higher with Apple Pay,

Abraham said it’s not “an anomaly” to see fraud accounting for about 6% of Apple Pay transactions, compared to about 0.1% of transactions using a plastic card to swipe. He noted that fraud rates vary by issuing bank.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/03/...-to-apple-pay/
Nayan likes this.
post #100293 of 100293 Old Today, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
[I]Abraham said it’s not “an anomaly” to see fraud accounting for about 6% of Apple Pay transactions, compared to about 0.1% of transactions using a plastic card to swipe.
Now if only the US would get in line with the rest of the world and start using chip and PIN cards instead of chip and signature cards, magnetic stripe cards, or mobile payments that time and again prove prone to misuse. As if signatures weren't bad enough, now we have mobile payment firms turning out to be even worse. I'm sorry, but I'm not trusting my financial security to a device that automatically connects to unsecured wireless networks as I walk around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming