post #1171 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by haubrija View Post

Just got to chime in about how wonderful this news is. FNL quickly became my favorite show this year and I think this past season was one of the greatest seasons in television history. There was not a bad ep in the bunch. I just pray they can keep their momentum.

Anyone care to speculate on the new time slot. The official website seems to indicate they are gonna start showing reruns on Sundays. I'm guessing we're gonna get a post Sunday Night Football time slot at like 9 on Sundays. Anyone else?

This is one of those I didn't watch. Anyone know if they are going to repeat from the beginning over the summer?

xnappo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The 2007-2008 Season
Notes From The Underbelly

Nikki Finke is reporting that ABC has picked up the comedy Notes From The Underbelly for 13 episodes next season.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/
post #1173 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by haubrija View Post

Just got to chime in about how wonderful this news is. FNL quickly became my favorite show this year and I think this past season was one of the greatest seasons in television history. There was not a bad ep in the bunch. I just pray they can keep their momentum.

Anyone care to speculate on the new time slot. The official website seems to indicate they are gonna start showing reruns on Sundays. I'm guessing we're gonna get a post Sunday Night Football time slot at like 9 on Sundays. Anyone else?

Maybe NBC will start it after the football season.

I might try it at 7 PM ET/PT.
post #1174 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

This is one of those I didn't watch. Anyone know if they are going to repeat from the beginning over the summer?
xnappo

Kevin Reillly is so committed to this show I am sure he will do everything short of bringing pizza to your house to give you a chance to see it, xnappo.

He's already spoken about an early DVD release.
post #1175 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

The 2007-2008 Season
Friday Night Lights Renewed?

Michael Ausiello is reporting at TVGuide.com that sources tell him NBC has renewed Friday Night Lights for a full 22-episode season.

http://www.tvguide.com/News-Views/Co.../Ausiello.aspx

Thanks for making my day, Fred.

post #1176 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

It certainly was my pleasure, rusty.

Although to be honest the only thing I found surprising is the full-season 22-episode order. I was just expecting a 13-episode renewal, and probably tomorrow night.

But this way, NBC gets all the good press in the Friday papers, not in the less-read Saturday sports sections.
post #1177 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The 2007-2008 Season
CBS Rumored pickups

Nikki Finke is reporting rumors that CBS has picked up: Swingtown, Viva Laughlin and Los Duques. She says the rumors also have CBS picking up Babylon Fields as a mid-season replacement.

post #1178 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 05:40 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The 2007-2008 Season
CBS Rumored pickups

Nikki Finke is reporting rumors that CBS has picked up: Swingtown, Viva Laughlin and Los Duques. She says the rumors also have CBS picking up Babylon Fields as a mid-season replacement.

Huh, Los Duques? I've not heard of that show. Closer To Home isn't coming back, so that's on slot to fill. Amazing Race and Survivor will be on during one half of the season so there's another half season slot to fill. I can't think of where the other two time slots would come from.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #1179 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Fred, I trust you will post a few reminders/stories about this as it gets closer to the air date, at least close enough so I can set the DVR?

HBO will show "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" Sunday, May 27 8 PM ET/PT, jim. ("The Sopranos" is taking the Memorial Day weekend off.)

(I don't know if you get both East and West Coast HBO feeds in HD, so you might need to record it at 5 PM PT.)
post #1180 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH View Post

Huh, Los Duques? I've not heard of that show. Closer To Home isn't coming back, so that's on slot to fill. Amazing Race and Survivor will be on during one half of the season so there's another half season slot to fill. I can't think of where the other two time slots would come from.

I guess you are right, Antonio, but there are two Survivors already picked up for next season, the first from China.

I think "The Unit" is vulnerable. And (ducking) "Jericho" or perhaps "Ghost Whisperer".
post #1181 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I'm personally boycotting "FNL." Will not pick the DVD set, watch the repeats or tune in to the second season. Kevin Reilly favored "FNL" over "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" from the beginning, it's so naked and obvious that I'm in no mood to reward Reilly pushing "Studio 60" under the bus to get himself and his network some positive press by renewing "FNL" (and the other "SNL" show, "30 Rock"). It also helps that, after seeing two complete "FNL" episodes this past season (and one "30 Rock"), I just plain don't like the show, its characters or the setting... at all!

OT, how low do the ratings for "The CBS Evening News with Katie Couric" have to go for serious thought to be given to dump Mrs. Couric from the anchor chair? All three network evening news have lost a ton of viewers, but ABC News has risen to #1 (Charile Gibson comes as more even-handed and trustworthy) and NBC Nightly News (likely fueled by the network's low viewership blues) fallen to #2 because of reasonable excuses/reasons. What's CBS' excuse for its nightly newscast reaching an all-time low on a non-holiday weekend? Under 6 million viewers = 4th of July or Thanksgiving ratings, not middle-of-Apri/May ratings.
post #1182 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess you are right, Antonio, but there are two Survivors already pciked up for next season, the first from China.

I think "The Unit" is vulnerable. And (ducking) "Jericho" or perhaps "Ghost Whisperer".

The need to dump Ghost Whisperer and keep The Unit and Jericho. If I had to lose one of them..i suppose it would be Jericho

Then again..i wouldnt miss the absence of Without a Trace ...theres a slot for it.
post #1183 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

I'm personally boycotting "FNL." Will not pick the DVD set, watch the repeats or tune in to the second season.

I can't wait for the DVD set to come out. I am purchasing that bad boy and then I'll be an add'l viewer next season. This is good news indeed. With all the schlock that fills the airways these days, it's nice to see a solid well-acted and well-scripted series get a shot.
post #1184 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 06:11 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess you are right, Antonio, but there are two Survivors already pciked up for next season, the first from China.

Ok. I thought that there was talk of CBS doing just one showing of Amazing Race and Survivor. Hopefully they'll bring "The Unit" back.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #1185 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttermaker View Post

The need to dump Ghost Whisperer and keep The Unit and Jericho. If I had to lose one of them..i suppose it would be Jericho

Then again..i wouldnt miss the absence of Without a Trace ...theres a slot for it.

While I enjoy the eye-candy JLH provides on Friday nights (can't stand CM), I'll really be upset if The Unit doesn't get picked up (though not in the same league with dad and Studio 60 ). While the last episode does kind of being the season to a close, it left me wanting another season now!

As I said earlier, Jericho is just getting to the Red Dawn phase and IMHO that should guarantee renewal.

I still enjoy WAT, but I must admit I will forego an episode if there are 2 other programs that I like on at the same time, like tonight with ER and the new Traveler. Also, WAT is one of those programs where it's difficult to coem up with something really new each week, so missing an episode or 3 isn't a big deal.

Cheers, Dave
post #1186 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 06:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:

HBO will show "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" Sunday, May 27 8 PM ET/PT, jim. ("The Sopranos" is taking the Memorial Day weekend off.)

(I don't know if you get both East and West Coast HBO feeds in HD, so you might need to record it at 5 PM PT.)

I get the East from both Dish and DirecTV. The 27th is a few days too early to set the DVR, I'll have to mark my calender. Thanks.
post #1187 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 06:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

While I enjoy the eye-candy JLH provides on Friday nights (can't stand CM), I'll really be upset if The Unit doesn't get picked up (though not in the same league with dad and Studio 60 ). While the last episode does kind of being the season to a close, it left me wanting another season now!

As I said earlier, Jericho is just getting to the Red Dawn phase and IMHO that should guarantee renewal.

I still enjoy WAT, but I must admit I will forego an episode if there are 2 other programs that I like on at the same time, like tonight with ER and the new Traveler. Also, WAT is one of those programs where it's difficult to coem up with something really new each week, so missing an episode or 3 isn't a big deal.

The best thing about GW is the image quality, and I'm not taking about the twins..err..JLH...GW has some of the best looking HD on TV, right up there with Cold Case among others.

I wonder how Ghost Whisperer does with women, the star seems to change outfits with every scene, much like a fashion show.
post #1188 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 06:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

A new time slot was mentioned earlier regarding "Lost", just to check that my memory isn't failing(much anyhow), hasn't "Lost" been running from the competition for 3 seasons now? Going from 8, to 9 and finally 10pm?
post #1189 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

You've made your feelings known about "FNL" numerous times, dad. We get it. We`really do. I suspect growing up in another country makes it very difficult for you to easily understand a show which deals with adolescence and small-town American values.

But how in the world did Reilly throw "Studio 60" under the bus?

It more pre season promotion time and newspaper stories than any NBC series. It got the most promotions in the first few weeks of Sunday Night Football.

It was immediately moved from a death slot opposite "CSI" and "Grey's Anatomy" to follow NBC's one true new hit.

NBC stayed with the show as the ratings drooped farther and farther -- literally falling every half hour through September, October and November. Most networks would have killed it after 13 episodes. Reilly ordered the back nine and started playing them -- as the ratings fell even farther.

You loved it, I looked forward to it each week. But it just didn't work. There is no rational way you can blame NBC -- other than for picking it up in the first place and not having someone oversee Mr. Sorkin's kindergarten.

As for Ms. Couric: CBS sold more than $15 million in additional CBS News commercials within weeks after her hiring. So financially the division is not hurting.

And no one has been watching CBS in great numbers for years. I wouldn't be surprised to see Katie continue until after the 2008 elections.

Wooing her away from NBC was quite a "coup" for Les Moonves. He is not a guy who quickly admits to being wrong. The hiring of Rick Kaplan indicates there is no anchor change imminent. So settle in for a bit of a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

I'm personally boycotting "FNL." Will not pick the DVD set, watch the repeats or tune in to the second season. Kevin Reilly favored "FNL" over "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" from the beginning, it's so naked and obvious that I'm in no mood to reward Reilly pushing "Studio 60" under the bus to get himself and his network some positive press by renewing "FNL" (and the other "SNL" show, "30 Rock"). It also helps that, after seeing two complete "FNL" episodes this past season (and one "30 Rock"), I just plain don't like the show, its characters or the setting... at all!

OT, how low do the ratings for "The CBS Evening News with Katie Couric" have to go for serious thought to be given to dump Mrs. Couric from the anchor chair? All three network evening news have lost a ton of viewers, but ABC News has risen to #1 (Charile Gibson comes as more even-handed and trustworthy) and NBC Nightly News (likely fueled by the network's low viewership blues) fallen to #2 because of reasonable excuses/reasons. What's CBS' excuse for its nightly newscast reaching an all-time low on a non-holiday weekend? Under 6 million viewers = 4th of July or Thanksgiving ratings, not middle-of-Apri/May ratings.

post #1190 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

As for Ms. Couric: CBS sold more than $15 million in additional CBS News commercials within weeks after her hiring. So financially the division is not hurting.

And no one has been watching CBS in great numbers for years. I wouldn't be surprised to see Katie continue until after the 2008 elections.

Wooing her away from NBC was quite a "coup" for Les Moonves. He is not a guy who quickly admits to being wrong. The hiring of Rick Kaplan indicates there is no anchor change imminent. So settle in for a bit of a ride.

And then ... The CBS Evening News with Julie Chen.
post #1191 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Studio 60, by far, received the most press and critical acclaim of any new NBC show last year prior to the premiere. For the months between the upfronts and the fall, it was one of the only new shows that I was aware of. Studio 60's death is more the result of the show Sorkin produced.

BTW, I grew up in South Africa, yet am able to appreciate the story, acting, nuances etc in FNL. Great shows transcend. Along with The Wire, FNL is one of the best shows on TV.
post #1192 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You've made your feelings known about "FNL" numerous times, dad. We get it. We`really do. I suspect growing up in another country makes it very difficult for you to easily understand a show which deals with adolescence and small-town American values.

What a crotch argument: if you haven't lived it/experienced it you can't appreciate it. I came to the States to live/study in a small Upstate NY town when I was 16, I'm not the fish-out-of-water-in-America that you're making me out to be. I fracking read the book "FNL" when I just moved here for Pete's sake (great book BTW). Adolescent-themed shows resonate universally because they're about experiences shared by anybody: rejection, jealousy, uncertainty about who you are (and your place in the world), life-changing decisions, infatuation, etc. To insinuate that one has to live or experience middle-America personally to understand "FNL" implies that the show is just about teenagers and football when in fact the problem with the show is its freaking name. Coach Taylor would be a more appropriate name for the show.

I also wasn't raised in Utah but that hasn't stopped me from appreciating the polygamy/religious themes of HBO's Big Love. I didn't grow up in an American suburb but that didn't stop me from appreciating the growing-up (maturity-wise) the characters of Nickelodeon's The Secret World of Alex Mack did in its third and fourth seasons. I wasn't of draft age or lived through the 70's yet I was thoroughly gripped by the plights of Dana Delaney's character in China Beach (especially during that remarkable "flash forward" period of the last season). And BTW, with the extensive reach of American media throught the world it's not like we immigrants don't get some good TV shows dubbed into another language every once in a while along with the braindead-but-easy-to-dub action/titty fests like Charlie's Angels, Baywatch and Renegade. We also got Lou Grant and Family dubbed for those time slots when there weren't enough Mission: Impossible repeat to fill the day. Please don't hold it against me that I wasn't born, raised or have never visited Baltimore as reasons for me to not give a damn about The Wire on HBO. Seen it, passed on it and I'm not losing much sleep over it (unlike the nights I'm begging will go faster so we can reach the Thursday that "Studio 60" returns on the air). Doesn't make me a bad person or a stupid immigrant, just a TV addict with peculiar and unexplained personal tastes.

So please Fred, no insulting the intelligence of this immigrant TV viewer with such condescending nonsense. Doesn't the fact that I like and ardently defend Studio 60 (a much-beloved show in the Salvadorean immigrant community ) when everybody else (including you) has given up on it validate my "inside knowledge" status as a member of this board? And what else could Reilly have done with Sorkin's show? Just the same courtesies he extended "FNL": marathon repeats (on cable or slow NBC nights), words of support (rather than tepid comments), putting it back on the air when replacement shows at 10PM Mondays continued to get lower ratings that 'Studio 60' never came close to getting (though it was headed there), etc. Reilly had favorite children ('FNL,' '30 Rock,' etc.) and he neglected others, that's just pointing out the obvious. How else to explain the airing of 'Studio 60' the day after the May Sweeps and almost two weeks after its expected death?
post #1193 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

And then ... The CBS Evening News with Julie Chen.

What's wrong with The CBS Evening News with Russ Mitchell? Between her hosting Big Brother and dating the boss Chen's credibility as the lead anchor person of the network's evening news is more compromised than the lady currently there that had a colonoscapy on the air in a Today show segment.
post #1194 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I am not sure that I made you out to be ignorant or bad. And you are the one who frequently brings up your immigrant status.

I have never given up on "Studio 60" by the way. But I am realistic. The viewers have -- and long long ago in TV terms.

Whether we agree with your passionate beliefs about how "studio 60" was mishandled (and I think there is a far better case to be made that "Friday Night Lights" was under (and poorly) promoted than the case you set forth for "Studio 60".

Anyhow, we have veered far off the path of the thread, so let's drop it.

And if my remarks offended anyone else (rustycruiser?) I apologize to all.
post #1195 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

All that Katie Couric talk reminded me I forgot to post this story.
Critic's Notebook
Low-key Gibson gets high marks and top ratings
By Melanie McFarland Seattle Post-Intelligencer TV Critic

When ABC's Charles Gibson anchors "World News" from Seattle on Thursday and Friday, he'll do so from a place somewhat unusual for the network.

First.

For many a season, "World News" was the perennial second-place holder, stuck behind "NBC Nightly News With Brian Williams" but a healthy distance ahead of "CBS Evening News."

Over the past few weeks, beneath the buzz about Katie Couric's unpopularity and the distressingly low ratings of her CBS newscast, Gibson and "World News" subtly achieved a coup worth crowing about.

The newscast loosened NBC's stranglehold on first place, winning nine of the past 13 weeks. Last week, "World News With Charles Gibson" pulled ahead by the widest margin since Peter Jennings' death in August 2005. Making the win more significant is its occurrence during May sweeps. (The official numbers: ABC, an average of 8.1 million viewers; NBC, 7.5 million; CBS, 6.1 million.)

Coincidentally, this happened during the week Time magazine released its current list of 100 Most Influential People, which includes NBC's Williams.

Time may have missed it, but many others are starting to notice Gibson's powerful draw. A recent Gallup Poll indicated that 62 percent of TV viewers saw Gibson in a positive light, ahead of Williams' 59 percent. He also has the lowest negative rating -- 16 percent. (Couric's 29 percent negative rating has been widely reported lately.)

His reaction to all this?

"I only know that we've won a few weeks," Gibson said during a phone call from his New York office. "More people say hello to me in the hallway, so I guess that's a good sign."

Gibson, 64, has been in this business long enough to know that humility and understatement serve an anchor far better than bluster. Those qualities have stood him well in an evening-news race that only can be described as tumultuous.

Last spring, while the industry was atwitter over the rumor that former "Today" co-host Couric would take over CBS's evening newscast, "Good Morning America" rival Gibson quietly prepared to slide into the "World News" chair with little fanfare.

"We intentionally started under the radar," he recalled. "(My bosses) said, 'When do you want to start?' I said, 'I want to start on Memorial Day.' They said, 'You mean Tuesday?' I said, 'No, Memorial Day.' "

Gibson also refuses to join the chorus of Couric's detractors, only describing the hoopla over her ascension at CBS as "curious."

"I understood why they did it because as I always say, I've been a huge admirer of Katie's. She beat the stuffing out of me for years. ... But this is not like the circus opening in town, or even the rollout of a new entertainment show, where you try to grab people. These things are marathons, not sprints."

ABC was having a tough time of it before Gibson made the move from morning to evening. Longtime anchor Jennings succumbed to cancer the previous summer. ABC replaced him with co-anchors Bob Woodruff and Elizabeth Vargas; weeks after their official start, Woodruff suffered critical injuries in Iraq and Vargas announced she was pregnant and was stepping down. Gibson joked, "They looked around and I was the guy over there standing next to the candy machine who was still around. And they said, 'You're it.' "

To hear him tell the story, sitting behind the "World News" desk is of far less importance than the work being done by the newsroom as a whole. He is correct; since his arrival ABC News has enjoyed a good run. Martha Raddatz is doing a respectable job as the network's White House correspondent. Brian Ross' investigations into Capitol Hill led to ABC's breaking the Mark Foley scandal. Woodruff returned with a widely acclaimed book he co-wrote with his wife about traumatic brain injury.

Nearing his first anniversary anchoring "World News," Gibson deserves credit for imbuing the newscast with a renewed sense of approachability. Where the late Jennings became known for his cool demeanor, Gibson's appeal is in his warmth. When tested by crises such as the recent coverage of the Virginia Tech massacre, he conveys a sense of evenness and humanity while the audience's emotions spike.

It's also clear that underneath the newsman's pressed suit is the curiosity of an average person. During his Seattle visit he plans to take a look at Starbucks.

Most newscasters would examine our tech industry or Boeing during such a visit. Gibson is interested in our culture of coffee.

It sounds a little, well, banal. Seattle and coffee are an old cliché of a couple.

Gibson has a different take. He sees something in the fact that Starbucks can have stands in grocery stores a few doors down from a cafe, or shops across the street from each other.

"In this day and age, when we live in a Wal-Mart society where people need to save money on things, how they get people to pay a premium for a basic product in life has always fascinated me The instances of that happening have actually been relatively few in my lifetime," he said. "I'm just fascinated by the psychology of the place. ... I guess we are creatures who can be analyzed to the point that they figure out how to make a buck off us, and know they're going to."

Recently, though, ABC News has taken its licks for experimenting with single sponsorship. For example, CVS/Pharmacy shouldered the cost for the April 23 edition of "World News." That was slightly less controversial than earlier newscasts, sponsored solely by Pfizer and featuring a commercial announcing the reintroduction of Celebrex advertising.

Pfizer stopped advertising for the anti-inflammatory prescription drug because of a link to cardiovascular conditions.

"I know (Dr.) Sidney Wolfe (the director of Public Citizen's Health Research Group) and his group got on us," Gibson said. ... "(But) I'm not tied up with the sponsors, don't want to be tied up with the sponsors, don't endorse the sponsors."

However, Gibson does love the benefits "World News" has gained from sole sponsorship and expects to see more of it in the future.

"From our standpoint, in terms of how much news you can get in a half hour, we can get a heckuva lot more in if we've got four or five minutes of extra program time," he said.

Any chance of seeing Gibson sip a venti caramel Frappucino during a newscast?

"Oh, gosh, no, no, no, no," he blurted. "The firewall between the news division and the sponsors is very thick."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/printe...5007_tv10.html
post #1196 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Nope, not offended at all Fred.

Will delete this post too in a bit, seeing as it is majorly off topic.

post #1197 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The 2007-2008 Season
NBC renews 'Friday Night Lights'
Low-rated football drama gets 2nd season
By Michael Schneider Variety May 10, 2007

"Friday Night Lights" has scored a second season from NBC.

Also Thursday, the Peacock firmed up its drama plans for next season, giving the go-ahead to four new hourlongs: "The Bionic Woman," "Chuck," Journeyman" and "Life."

The "Friday Night Lights" touchdown came in the fourth quarter with just seconds left on the clock. News ends weeks of speculation over whether the critically acclaimed but low-rated show would pull off a last-minute Hail Mary.

The stats weren't stellar for the primetime pigskin player after all. Season to date, "Friday Night Lights" has averaged only a 2.3 rating/6 share and 6.1 million viewers overall. With those low numbers, an order for "Friday Night Lights" wasn't guaranteed.

But NBC Entertainment prexy Kevin Reilly has championed the show as part of NBC's "first be best, then be first" mantra -- and the net already renewed another highly praised but low-rated skein, the Tina Fey laffer "30 Rock."

Net wasn't ready to officially confirm the order Thursday -- preferring to make the grand reveal during its New York upfront presentation Monday -- but is expected to order a full 22 episodes of the drama. Move is sure to spur a spate of high-fives among the nation's TV critics.

NBC Universal TV Studio and Imagine TV are behind "Friday Night Lights," which comes from exec producer Peter Berg (who wrote and directed the feature on which the show was based), as well as Jason Katims, Brian Grazer, David Nevins and Sarah Aubrey. Kyle Chandler stars as coach Eric Taylor in the show set in the world of small-town Texas high school football.

"We were confident but all experienced enough to know that anything can happen," Berg said of the show's prospects. "It was never a sure thing. All I can say is that Kevin Reilly and Jeff Zucker are men of their word."

Berg said he was told that "Lights" will most likely air later than its current 8 p.m. slot -- a move the producers have been advocating.

"Lights" already received a six script order last month, giving the show's writers an early jump.

NBC "hasn't asked for any changes," Berg said. "They've embraced the personality of the show. Hopefully, we can continue to grow."

"Friday Night Lights" also stars Connie Britton, Scott Porter, Gaius Charles, Taylor Kitsch, Zach Gifford, Minka Kelly, Aimee Teegarden, Adrianne Palicki and Jesse Plemons.

As for the new pickups, "The Bionic Woman," from exec producers David Eick, Glen Morgan, Jason Smilovic and Michael Dinner, stars Michelle Ryan as a woman remade into a techno wonder (on a show itself remade from a 1970s hit). NBC Universal TV Studio produces.

Josh Schwartz is behind "Chuck," a spy comedy/drama that stars Zachary Levi as a regular guy who accidentally learns government secrets. Warner Bros. TV produces; Schwartz and McG exec produce.

"Journeyman," from 20th Century Fox TV, centers on a man (Kevin McKidd) who travels through time to right wrongs. Kevin Falls and Alex Graves exec produce.

"Life" stars Damian Lewis as a wrongly imprisoned cop who decides to take his old job after he's released from prison. NBC Universal TV Studio is behind the show, exec produced by Rand Ravich and Far Shariat.

Comedy pilot producers were still waiting by the phone Thursday, but sure shots appeared to include "The I.T. Crowd." Other laffers said to still be in contention included "Lipshitz Saves the World."

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...&categoryid=14
post #1198 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks rusty -- you don't have to delete.
post #1199 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

The 2007-2008 Season
NBC renews 'Friday Night Lights'
Low-rated football drama gets 2nd season
By Michael Schneider Variety May 10, 2007

"Friday Night Lights" has scored a second season from NBC.

Also Thursday, the Peacock firmed up its drama plans for next season, giving the go-ahead to four new hourlongs: "The Bionic Woman," "Chuck," Journeyman" and "Life."

What's the odds on ER returning?
post #1200 of 95775 Old 05-10-2007, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Anyhow, we have veered far off the path of the thread, so let's drop it.

And if my remarks offended anyone else (rustycruiser?) I apologize to all.

No apologies necessary Dave. I guess the apparent renewal of "FNL" is a stark reminder that a TV show I love (flawed yes, bad or unwatchable nay!) is one step closer to dying and have its untapped potential wasted from what I perceive to be a network that gave up on it too soon. In a day and age when Veronica Mars can be considered to be "on the bubble" with less than 2.5 million viewers it's just tough to accept that "Studio 60" (which was still getting close to 7 million viewers when it was yanked in February) isn't getting renewed when shows that have received much lower numbers ("30 Rock" and "FNL") are. Life (and network TV) is just not fair!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page