post #1351 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 12:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

I don't think there is a perfect fit out of "Heroes".

And like almost all previous shows which share either its sci-fi or serial genre, I wouldn't expect its life span to be too long. It has been shedding viewers fairly steadily this season -- and I am well awaere of the hiatus, DST and other rationales.

But the viewers seem to be fairly steadily jumping ship, so were I a betting perosn, I would not be stunned to see it on the list of cancelled shows next year at this time.

Were I Kevin Reilly, KI might try to rebuild a night the network has given up on -- and put a game show, "Medium" and "Dateline" on Saturday nights.

You're probably right, my age is probably what fuels the idea that Medium would be a good fit behind Heroes, I enjoy both shows, but as dad notes, I can see how the larger audience demo of Heroes would not be interested in Medium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Critic's Notebook
7th Heaven reaches prime-time's pearly gates
By Ed Bark former Dallas Morning News TV critic at his website unclebarky.com

Resurrected from cancellation last season, 7th Heaven unequivocally leaves the prime-time firmament Sunday night after one of the more wholesome runs in TV history.

Birthed during the second year of The WB network, it rose from those ashes to see the dawning of The CW. Sunday night (8 PM ET/PT) marks the end, though, with the reliably virtuous Camdens of Glen Oak, CA crowding into a giant-sized RV and happily heading for parts unknown.

"Today's the first day of the rest of my life," minister Eric Camden (Stephen Collins) says before giving it the gas at finale's end.

It's been quite a ride -- 11 seasons to be exact. That makes 7th Heaven the longest-running family drama ever, outdistancing both The Waltons and Little House on the Prairie.

"The basis of all life across the globe is family. It doesn't have to mean it's sort of sappy and stupid," co-star Catherine Hicks (Annie Camden) says in a teleconference.

Both Hicks and Collins say their show has never been "primarily religious," despite its title and church setting. Nor was it Melrose Place or Beverly Hills, 90210, which the late Aaron Spelling also created during his latter years as Hollywood's most prolific TV producer.

7th Heaven is the last ongoing series to bear the Dallas native's name, and its finale is "In Memory" of him.

"He was very proud of the show, and I was thrilled when he went on record and said it was his favorite show," Collins says.

Actually, Spelling said the same about a lot of his creations, but may have had a particular soft spot for the one that ran longer than any of them. Not so The WB, which always tended to treat 7th Heaven as an interloper amid magazine cover-ready darlings such as Dawson's Creek, Felicity, Smallville and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

"We used to get so ticked off," Hicks says after unclebarky.com raises the question. "We kept the WB alive, you know, and we'd get like crappy little cupcakes at Christmas."

Collins recalls those "big, mammoth pictures of (Buffy star) Sarah Michelle Gellar" at WB parties, with 7th Heaven tucked into a corner someplace.

"On the other hand, we definitely got used to it," he says. "Richard Thomas (star of The Waltons) told me, 'Don't ever expect to get a lot of publicity from this. The media in general just never know quite what to do with a family show. They never know how to find the angle.'

"We would lead the WB in ratings," Collins adds. "And then you'd pick up something and read, 'Buffy' saves The WB.' We called it being 'Rodney Dangerfielded.' "

Hicks says she's already shopping for new roles. "It takes scrounging, and I'm in the mood to scrounge."

Collins lately is doing a guest shot on the FX comedy It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

They'll always be Annie and Eric Camden, though, to millions of 7th Heaven stalwarts.

"I feel sorry for the audience, because they really want it," Hicks says.

"I think it's going to kind of hit me in the summer that it's over," says Collins.

It's kind of like Purgatory. But that'll pass.

http://www.unclebarky.com/reviews.html
post #1353 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

You've got Grey's Anatomy listed twice, one of those should have been "Men In Trees".

You are right, rebkell, thanks.
post #1354 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Just caught up on the last couple of days news and pickup "announcements". Is it just me or is the offering by ABC pathetic? I don't see one show that interests me and I'm not that hard to impress. I wasn't that jazzed about "Private Practice" and this Cashmere Mafia and Big Shots - they just sound dull. ABC has churned out some successes over the last few years so who knows. I do remember having an interest in watching each show that did turn out to be a success but I don't see one for the 07-08 season.

OTOH, "Back to You" may top my anticipation list for new shows. I think the pairing of Kelsey and Pat Heaton is going to be golden.

I agree about "Back To You" and I have never been a fan of Fox's comedies. Nut I am looking forward to this one.

As for ABC's schedule, I share the same basic feelings. But then we haven't actually seen the shows yet. And a year ago "Brothers & Sisters" was considered dead meat -- and it turned into something pretty good.

Actually, it is one of my personal favorites -- and given all the stoires about inner turmoil, I just DVRd it until I began watching episodes ion late November.
post #1355 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 12:40 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post

i don't think I'm watching a single new show this season. Nothing looks interesting.

I'm going to stick with the ones I'm watching now, and I get the feeling some of them might reach the end of the line next year.

Smallville, Supernatural (if this gets renewed), Prison Break, Desperate Housewives, Lost

I'll watch Lipstick Jungle and the one with Lucy Lui on ABC but the other shows sound like stinkers. I'm asking myself how long can a show about a guy who thinks that he is a prophet, or a show about a group of people who are dead but come back to life last or a show about a women whom is in a coma for 8 days and wakes up from the coma not knowing who she is can last. The premises of the upcoming shows sound thin to me.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #1356 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Considering the love this thread/board gives to Battlestar Galactica I'm amazed there's so little buzz about NBC's Bionic Woman remake. One of the producers is David Eick, Ronald Moore's co-executive producer of "BG," and (at least for the pilot) it stars Starbuck herself Katie Sackhoff. If "BG" could be turned from cheesy sci-fi histrionics into a compelling drama about the fate of humanity against all odds I'm willing to give these folks the benefit of the doubt and expect great things from "Bionic Woman's" tailor-made-for-a-remake premise. Of all the shows announced so far for the upfronts "Bionic Woman" is the only one I find myself cautiously getting excited about.
post #1357 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Marc Berman must have slept in this morning (and who can blame him) but Friday's fast national over night prime-time ratings - and Media Week Analyst Berman's view of what they mean -- have now been posted at the top of Ratings News the second post in this thread.
post #1358 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How can CBS seriously be considering canceling Close to Home? It won its Friday time slot in both overall viewer and the 18-49 demo, AGAIN. It holds its own with its companion CBS shows (Ghost Whisperer and Numb3rs) yet its the only one of the three to be seriously exposed to cancelation? Somebody at Bergman's blog suggested moving this show to Saturdays to anchor the night, and that sounds like an excellent idea. Because whatever they place in "CTH's" time slot won't be guaranteed to have the loyal viewing of the slightly less than 10 million viewers that tune in to the Friday night CBS block almost every week. Lost in the hype of other shows/nights is how solid (if unspectacular) CBS' shows dominate Friday night with almost-similar ratings/demos. Talk about lead-ins feeding into each other.
post #1359 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

How can CBS seriously be considering canceling Close to Home? It won its Friday time slot in both overall viewer and the 18-49 demo, AGAIN. It holds its own with its companion CBS shows (Ghost Whisperer and Numb3rs) yet its the only one of the three to be seriously exposed to cancelation? Somebody at Bergman's blog suggested moving this show to Saturdays to anchor the night, and that sounds like an excellent idea. Because whatever they place in "CTH's" time slot won't be guaranteed to have the loyal viewing of the slightly less than 10 million viewers that tune in to the Friday night CBS block almost every week. Lost in the hype of other shows/nights is how solid (if unspectacular) CBS' shows dominate Friday night with almost-similar ratings/demos. Talk about lead-ins feeding into each other.

Hey...drop Jericho in that slot...lol

Then The Unit can stay right where its at with NCIS.

Oh c'mon...you know i have to champion Jericho whenever I can.

As soon as Jericho's cancellation is confirmed...Ill let it go...
post #1360 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttermaker View Post

Same here when NBC s***s all over "Studio 60" next week. Then it will become an elated celebration as the show's last batch of episodes air without the pressure of needing high ratings to survive. Ironically the last "Studio 60" episode scheduled to air before its February hiatus came a week early deals (assuming it hasn't changed air dates) with the show-within-a-show's diminishing ratings and how the network tries to reverse the trend.
post #1361 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The 2007 Upfront
FOX: Fourth-Quarter focus
By Ben Grossman Broadcasting & Cable May 14, 2007

Much of the baseball playoffs are gone from Fox's fall schedule this year, and with it go a lot of the network's excuses.

With the network dumping about half of its commitment to the MLB playoffs, Entertainment President Peter Liguori says it's time to put up and turn around Fox's slumping fourth-quarter fortunes.

I'm putting the pressure on myself: it's put-up-or-shut-up time, he admits.

But while Liguori needs something like Terminator spinoff The Sarah Connor Chronicles to hit it big in the fall, he says that he isn't afraid to reshuffle his slate if he thinks a show is a better midseason fit.

If that means holding a show back because it's better launched in January, he says, I will take every lump.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ind...leID=CA6441342
post #1362 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

This is by no means official, but it seems to be the consensus of what Fox is thinking. However Peter Ligouri, like his counterparts at the other networks, is capable of some surprises, so nothing will be certain until Thursday.)
The 2007-2008 Season
Fox's Plans
Upfront Presentation: Thursday May 17 4 PM ET City Center

Renewed for 2007-2008
American Dad
American Idol
American Idol Results
America's Most Wanted
Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?
Bones
Family Guy
House
King Of The Hill
The Simpsons
Prison Break
The Simpsons
'Til Death

Drama Pickups
Canterbury's Law
K-Ville
New Amsterdam
The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Comedy Pickups
Back To You
The Return of Jezebel James
The Rules Of Starting Over

Cancelled
Drive
Happy Hour
Justice
The O.C.
The Rich List
Vanished
The Wedding Bells
post #1363 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The 2007 Upfront
Fox picks up pilots
Network offers trio of cop dramas
By Michael Schneider Variety May 12, 2007

Fox loves its cops - picking up a trio of dramas about cops in New Orleans, an immortal cop and robots that think they're cops (OK, that last one's a stretch).

Meanwhile, on the comedy side, the net plans to rely on some big-name stars and producers to up its stable of live-action laffers.

Net isn't confirming, but pilots given the series go-ahead Friday included

"K-Ville," "New Amsterdam" and "The Sarah Connor Chronicles," while sitcoms yukking it up all the way to the airwaves include "Back to You," "Return of Jezebel James" and "Rules for Starting Over."

On the drama tip, "K-Ville" focuses on the lives of cops in post-Hurricane Katrina New Orleans. Jonathan Lisco exec produces.

"New Amsterdam," from Regency TV, centers on a homicide cop who harbors a secret: He's old. Really old. Like hundreds of years old. He's looking for a way to end that, while solving crimes along the way.

Exec producers include Lasse Hallstrom, Michael Hausman, Leslie Holleran, Allan Loeb, David Manson, Steven Pearl and Christian Taylor.

Then there's "Sarah Connor," starring Lena Headey as the famed character from the "Terminator" movies. Show focuses on the character as she attempts to stop the famed terminator robots as they attempt to harm her son.

Josh Friedman, Mario Kassar, Andrew Vaina and Joel Michaels exec produce the Warner Bros. TV skein.

As for the comedies, "Back to You" had already been given a series commitment, so its greenlight was a no-brainer. Making it even more of a no-brainer: Its auspices include exec producers Steven Levitan and Chris Lloyd, and stars Kelsey Grammer and Patricia Heaton.

Net is expected to pair "Back to You" with the Brad Garrett starrer "'Til Death," making for a late '90s retro flashback. 20th Century Fox TV produces.

Viewers mourning the loss of "Gilmore Girls" may find solace in "Return of Jezebel James," from "Gilmore" creator Amy Sherman-Palladino. Series, starring Parker Posey and Lauren Ambrose, centers on a woman who asks her estranged sister to carry her child.

Regency TV - having a good day at Fox, with two pickups - is behind the show. Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino exec produce.

Also new to the net: "Rules for Starting Over," from the Farrelly Bros. Show follows a man who re-enters the dating scene.

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...&categoryid=14
post #1364 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I haven't paid real close attention the the articles on the possible new shows, preferring to wait and see which ones will actually be on, but from what I've read so far, I'd have to agree, nothing seems to look that interesting at all, in fact it seems to be one of the weakest offerings in quite awhile.

That could mean a couple of things. Perhaps there will be no over-hyping this year. Perhaps there will be lower budgets so they can afford to give some shows time to find an audience. And, perhaps there will be some sleepers in there. Or, perhaps they expect a stike and just said to h*ll with it.

Cheers, Dave
post #1365 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttermaker View Post

Hey...drop Jericho in that slot...lol

Then The Unit can stay right where its at with NCIS.

Oh c'mon...you know i have to champion Jericho whenever I can.

I think that's an excellent idea. Maybe the network nutheads should read this thread to see what we, the viewers, have to say.

Cheers, Dave
post #1366 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The 2007 Upfront
CBS: A Style Expansion

While CBS probably will pick up only about four pilots again this season, the network is intent on generating a bit more enthusiasm.

Tired of the lack of buzz despite consistent ratings, the network wants to break out of its crime-drama-heavy brand. CBS thought it had a brand-busting hit in post-nuclear-attack drama Jericho, but the show fizzled after a midseason hiatus.

We are looking for those shows that will really stir things up and make some noise, says Entertainment President Nina Tassler.

Among its new prospects are Babylon Fields, Demons and Swingtownshows about zombies, exorcists and couple-swapping, respectively. You can call that decidedly atypical CBS fare.

Of its few holes, the network needs to find traction Tuesdays at 10 p.m. behind NCIS and The Unit.

post #1367 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Because most weeks it gets whacked in the 18-49s.

Season to date, "Numb3rs" gets 3.78 million 18-49 demo viewers and "Ghost Whisperer" gets 3.84 million, while "Close to Home" gets a 3.30 million. This despite its average overall viewership of 7.60 million (43rd place overall).

Of course if it were to play an another night, (with at least a 10%+ higher viewership), it would -- if its numbers rose proportionately as much as the added viewers -- climb to about 35th place overall and might add a few tenths in the 18-49s.

Nonetheless, I agree with you, that it is weird it is about to (apparently) get cancelled.
post #1368 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The 2007-2008 Season
The fall schedule takes shape:
NBC Is 'IT'
By Nikki Finke LA Weekly in her deadlinehollywooddaily blog May 12, 2007

Sources tell me NBC picked up geek-themed THE IT CROWD for mid-season.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/
post #1369 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Daily Nielsen Notebook
May Sweep 18-49 Demo Race
FOX Maintains Lead After 16 Days of the May Sweep:
(Compiled by dumont ) at Marc Berman's Programming Insider blog:

2007 Adults 18-49 vs first 16 nights 2006 A18-49
(results weighted for extra hour on Sundays)

1. FOX 3.7 vs 4.2 (-12%)
2. ABC 3.5 vs 3.0 (+17%)
3. CBS 3.1 vs 3.8 (-18%)
4. NBC 2.4 vs 3.2 (-25%)
5. CW 1.3 vs. 1.3 (even to The WB)
6. MNT 0.4 vs 1.2 (-67% from UPN, first 15 nights only)
TOTAL 6 NETS: 14.3 vs. 16.6 (-14%)

FOX continued to hold on to first place and now leads ABC by just 0.2 in A18-49 after 16 days of the May Sweep.

CBS has now won three consecutive Fridays (its only other victory was a tie with ABC this past Monday), and it swept A18-49 and Households in all three hours last night, and yet CBS is rumoured to be considering putting Babylon Fields in place of Close to Home on this winning formula night.

ABC is the only broadcast network to show year-over-year improvement in A18-49 after 16 days of the May Sweep.

http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/t...m/42810215/p/1
post #1370 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

By the way, dad, a hot rumor is that CBS is picking up a 13-week order of "Close To Home" to have it on hand as a midseason replacement.
post #1371 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Considering the love this thread/board gives to Battlestar Galactica I'm amazed there's so little buzz about NBC's Bionic Woman remake. One of the producers is David Eick, Ronald Moore's co-executive producer of "BG," and (at least for the pilot) it stars Starbuck herself Katie Sackhoff. If "BG" could be turned from cheesy sci-fi histrionics into a compelling drama about the fate of humanity against all odds I'm willing to give these folks the benefit of the doubt and expect great things from "Bionic Woman's" tailor-made-for-a-remake premise. Of all the shows announced so far for the upfronts "Bionic Woman" is the only one I find myself cautiously getting excited about.

Just for you, dad -- pics and a story about the Bionic Woman star from the London Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1773
post #1372 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Critic's Notebook
Ben Linus speaks:
An interview with Michael Emerson of 'Lost'
From Maureen Ryan's Chicago Tribune blog The Watcher

It's no secret that I'm a firm believer that Michael Emerson is one of the best things about "Lost."
As Ben Linus, he's creepy yet compelling, and if the man doesn't get an Emmy nomination I promise to sit in the corner and hold my breath until I turn blue. As regular readers of this space know, I thought the most recent episode of "Lost," the Ben-centric "Man Behind the Curtain," was a pretty darn righteous return to form for the show.

Anyhow, thanks to the magic of synergy (and I especially like the kind of synergy that involves me expending zero effort), I have footage of an interview that Emerson recently did with Tribune-owned TV station WPIX in New York. In the video, he addresses whether Jacob is real, Locke's injury (something Locke "gave up" may help him now, Emerson says) and how his wife was cast as Ben's mother. Enjoy!

Note: The link to the video is at Maureen's blog:

http://tempo.typepad.com/entertainment_tv/
post #1373 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The 2007 Upfront
The CW: Brand building

The CW was formed to target the 18-34 demo. Now it must do exactly that.

After a thrown-together first season reliant on retreads from the failed UPN and WB networks, this is the first time the network will unveil shows from a full and focused development season.

As the network continues to jettison such veteran fare as 7th Heaven, Reba and Gilmore Girls, CW now has to find the young-skewing, hip replacements.

Obviously, we need a strong show that speaks specifically to our demo to come out of this season, says Entertainment President Dawn Ostroff. We would love to solidify what The CW is and more clearly identify the brand.

Gossip Girl, a teen drama told through the eyes of a blogger, is just the kind of new project The CW hopes to build around.

post #1374 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

The 2007 Upfront
The CW: Brand building

As the network continues to jettison such veteran fare as 7th Heaven, Reba and Gilmore Girls, CW now has to find the young-skewing, hip replacements.

I find it hard to think that the CW jettisoned Gilmore Girls, more like the Gilmore Girls jumped ship.
post #1375 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The 2007-2008 Season
Primetime Pilot Panic:
Another Fox Pickup
By Nikki Finke LA Weekly in her deadlinehollywooddaily blog Saturday, May 12, 2007

The word is that the FBC/Sony/Apostle pilot CANTERBURY'S LAW is now ordered to series.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/
post #1376 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Off topic and not HD, but SciFi channel is running a 21 hour Heroes marathon(all shows from the current season) next Saturday, starting at 9:00 am EST and running until 6:00 am Sunday.
post #1377 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks, rebkell. Can you remind us again some time during the day next Thursday or Friday?
post #1378 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, rebkell. Can you remind us again some time during the day next Thursday or Friday?

If I don't forget ... I'm looking forward to the day that SciFi goes HD,
post #1379 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 08:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:

Amen to that.
post #1380 of 95721 Old 05-12-2007, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'll try to remember to remind folks later in the week, too, but there is a lot going on this week and my mind isn't what it used to be.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page