AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information

10M views 101K replies 753 participants last post by  DrDon 
#1 ·
Note: Original "Hot Off The Press" thread: August 27, 2004 - April 23, 2007. (25,503 posts, 2,231,621 page views)
What's Available in "Hot Off The Press"

For the latest news, commentary and discussion,
please go to the last page of the thread.

Each day's prime-time network program listings
(along with late night and cable highlights) are listed by
dad1153 generally between midnight and 8 a.m. ET each day.

Post #3 - Useful Information

Reactions: Young C
#9,981 ·
Network Nielsen Averages
2007-2008 Prime Time Season Through Week Two
(Average rating, share and audience in each category)

Week Ending October 7, 2007

ADULTS 18-49

ABC 3.6/10, 4.7 million

NBC 3.6/10, 4.7 million

CBS 3.3/9, 4.3 million

Fox 2.7/7, 3.5 million

UNI 1.4/4, 1.8 million

CW 1.2/3, 1.6 million

TEL 0.4/1, 0.5 million

Each rating point equals 1.31 million viewers

ADULTS 25-54

ABC 4.2/11, 5.2 million

CBS 4.2/11, 5.2 million

NBC 4.0/10, 4.9 million

Fox 2.8/7, 3.5 million

UNI 1.3/3, 1.6 million

CW 1.1/3, 1.3 million

TEL 0.4/1, 0.5 million

Each rating point equals 1.23 million viewers

TOTAL VIEWERS

CBS 4.0/11, 11.4 million

ABC 3.8/10, 10.8 million

NBC 3.2/9, 9.2 million

Fox 2.5/6, 7.0 million

UNI 1.1/3, 3.2 million

CW 1.0/3, 2.9 million

TEL 0.3/1, 1.0 million

Each rating point equals 2.86 million viewers

2007-08 SEASON-TO-DATE AVERAGES
(Average rating, share and audience in each category)

ADULTS 18-49

ABC 3.7/10, 4.9 million

NBC 3.7/10, 4.9 million

CBS 3.3/9, 4.4 million

Fox 2.7/7, 3.6 million

UNI 1.4/4, 1.8 million

CW 1.2/3, 1.5 million

TEL 0.4/1, 0.5 million

Each rating point equals 1.31 million viewers

ADULTS 25-54

ABC 4.4/11, 5.4 million

CBS 4.3/11, 5.3 million

NBC 4.1/11, 5.1 million

Fox 2.8/7, 3.5 million

UNI 1.4/3, 1.7 million

CW 1.1/3, 1.3 million

TEL 0.4/1, 0.5 million

Each rating point equals 1.23 million viewers

TOTAL VIEWERS

CBS 4.1/11, 11.6 million

ABC 4.0/11, 11.3 million

NBC 3.3/9, 9.6 million

Fox 2.4/6, 7.0 million

UNI 1.1/3, 3.3 million

CW 1.0/3, 2.8 million

TEL 0.3/1, 1.0 million

Each rating point equals 2.86 million viewers

Source: NBC from Nielsen Media Research data

#9,982 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa /forum/post/11878234

Given the sad state of writing on many TV shows and movies, I think the writers might be overestimating the effect of their walkout.

And at this stage of the tech evolution, giving the network suits more incentive to program "reality" and other non-written programs could be suicidal.

I kind of agree. But haven't the networks been down the road before of having an overwhelming number of reality/game shows, only to have most of them fail? I think back to all the "Millionaire," "Bachelor," and "Survivor" clones we seemed to have a few years ago, the failures of which seemed to renew the networks' interest in scripted programs and made them more selective in their reality programming. So maybe the writers are remembering that...

#9,983 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa /forum/post/11878214

Technology Notes
MSNBC to Move to New York City Studio
Network to Start Broadcasting at NBC News Headquarters at Rockefeller Plaza

By Linda Moss Multichannel News 10/11/2007

MSNBC will start broadcasting from NBC News' new world headquarters at 30 Rockefeller Plaza Oct. 22, officials said Thursday.

MSNBC is moving over to the facility, which has been under construction six months, from Secaucus, N.J., where the cable channel had been based since its launch in July 1996.

NBC News is combining its Manhattan-based operations and MSNBC under one roof in the new headquarters, and making it ready to begin broadcasting from the newly renovated Studios 3A and 3C. As part of the consolidation, NBC News said that more than 200 miles of cable [have been] pulled, 280 high definition monitors and six high definition projectors installed.

Studio 3A will debut the morning of Oct. 22 when MSNBC's Morning Joe will open its broadcast at 6:00 a.m. MSNBC will continue to broadcast from Studio 3A throughout the day, including Countdown with Keith Olbermann in primetime. At 6:30 p.m., Brian Williams will unveil the renovated Studio 3C on NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams. More than 12.5 hours of live television across NBC News and MSNBC will originate from the two studios daily.

The new facility, with 8,500 square feet of studio space, will serve as a conduit of information, video and graphics for all of NBC News.

In addition to the 280 HDTV monitors and six HDTV projectors, MSNBC's main anchor platform is motorized on a 50-foot-long track to move throughout the studio; a platform in the center of 3A can be raised up to 52 feet for effects and events; and one wall houses 36 monitors and can be used in a variety of ways for production purposes.

Studio 3A also includes a 31-foot-long catwalk above the main anchor platform for additional options for stand-ups, and offers 61 seats for the newsgathering staffs of the NBC News Desks, NBC News Channel, NBC Satellite Operations and the MSNBC.com East Coast Cover Team.

In addition to the studios, the newsroom will house the editorial and production staffs for nearly all of the NBC News and MSNBC programs, the news desks of NBC News, NBC News' Specials unit and the East Coast MSNBC.com editorial operation.

Today, all of NBC News' home base of operations is finally where it should be - under one roof, NBC News president Steve Capus said in a prepared statement. Not only do we have the most advanced technology, the finest achievements in design and a dizzying array of visual enhancements, but most importantly, our greatest asset, the men and women of NBC News, are all in one place. This is our true strength, and will be the key to our continued success for many, many years to come.

The renovation project began in February, and will see its full completion of office and production facilities in 2008. The completed project will also be home to Dateline NBC, Peacock Productions, NBC News' educational initiatives including iCue and Channel One, NBC News Radio, and NBC News2Go, among other strategic initiative groups.

Additionally, Thursday NBC News also unveiled the next phase of the project with long-term plans to create a HDTV West Coast News Content center and television production facility in Los Angeles that will house NBC News' Los Angeles bureau, among other NBC Universal properties. The West Coast News center will be modeled after the NBC News' World Headquarters at 30 Rockefeller Plaza.

http://www.multichannel.com/index.as...leID=CA6489261

So... where's the MSNBC-HD announcement? I don't see it listed in the D* thread.

#9,985 ·
The Business of Television
When GE Sells The Peacock,
Buyers May Not Be Usual Old Birds

Commentary By Wayne Friedman Mediapost.com Oct 11, 2007

As on the NBC game show “Deal or No Deal,” you can be sure that the subject of General Electric selling its NBC Universal division will always make a return engagement.

Better still, where’s “Fear Factor” when you need it?

According to a report in the Financial Times, GE will consider an NBC sale after the network airs the Beijing Olympics next year.

Why then? NBC will no doubt reap another huge bundle in advertising sales –hopefully around $1 billion or more. Before the Winter Olympics last year, NBC pulled in $16.2 billion in revenue on $2.9 billion in profit, the paper said.

Jeff Zucker, president/CEO of NBC Universal, has crowed that all the focus is on the big network — but it shouldn’t be, since more than 50% of the company’s profits come from its cable assets (which NBC added to this week with the proposed purchase of Oxygen Media for $925 million). If that’s the case, then why wait?

Who would buy? Surely the usual suspects, like Time Warner, have been bandied about, since it’s a large media company without a full-fledged broadcast network — just one-half of one, the CW. Previously, Time Warner wholly owned the WB.

But consider other bigger, perhaps more unusual players. There’s Google, Microsoft, Facebook, or some other new contraption of a media company looking to put a new spin on an old — but still promising — entertainment platform.

This would make sense. While those new Internet/tech companies always get the buzz, they really aren’t ready to delve into the tricky world of TV program - or content — development. Yahoo tried to go that route and didn’t get very far.

Even for a company like Google, which seems to grow larger and larger by promising advertising networks and marketing solutions to smaller and smaller companies, NBC - or for that matter any network — is still an attractive option because those old entertainment companies can still get big mass audiences with one hit show.

Google buying an old media company may seem like a return to the good old days when another big Internet company of its time — AOL — decided to buy up Time Warner. We know how that ended.

But one believes that Google, which has made few missteps, wouldn’t slip up in the same ways. It wouldn’t force NBC to play on a field where it doesn’t know its position.

That would be must-see TV.

http://blogs.mediapost.com/tv_watch/?p=797

#9,986 ·
(And welcome to the thread, drummerguy!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerguy /forum/post/11878490

I kind of agree. But haven't the networks been down the road before of having an overwhelming number of reality/game shows, only to have most of them fail? I think back to all the "Millionaire," "Bachelor," and "Survivor" clones we seemed to have a few years ago, the failures of which seemed to renew the networks' interest in scripted programs and made them more selective in their reality programming. So maybe the writers are remembering that...

#9,987 ·
TV Notes
CW Orders More “Aliens” scripts

TV Week’s James Hibberd is reporting the CW has just ordered three more scripts of its new comedy “Aliens in America”.

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/james-hibberd/

#9,988 ·
Critic’s Notes
"Pushing Daisie"s Growing On Me Even More!

By Matt Roush TVGuide Senior Critic October 11, 2007

Nearly five months passed between the time I got my first look at the miraculous Pushing Daisies pilot and the second episode. It was worth the wait. I am officially in love.

Flashback (I wish I could count back the days, hours, minutes and seconds as precisely as Jim Dale does in his spot-on narration): It’s the week before the network upfronts in May, and I’m in Los Angeles working on the TV Guide Network’s America’s Next Producer show when a studio exec not even associated with Pushing Daisies leaks me a copy of the pilot, which I’d heard was good but had no idea was THIS good. From the moment I saw it, I was enchanted and could only hope that fellow critics and viewers with open minds and open hearts would share my enthusiasm. I was also so satisfied by what I’d seen that I couldn’t help wondering if they’d be able to pull it off on a weekly basis.

Flash to the second week of October, and in brilliant high definition, I watch the second episode of Pushing Daisies unspool in all of its colorfully wacky glory. Not just daisies this week, but dandelions. Dandy indeed. And frogs brought back to life to escape dissection. And refrigerators stuffed with cheese. And a private eye (the hilarious Chi McBride) who knits handgun holders. This show is so fanciful and fun, so exuberantly sweet in spirit even when it completely embraces the macabre (like the room of hanging corpses lying in wait to be disguised as crash-test dummies). And it’s also blissfully romantic.

How great was it to see Kristin Chenoweth exercise her substantial singing chops, lamenting her love for the adorably awkward Ned (Lee Pace) by crooning an after-hours version of “Hopelessly Devoted to You” while twirling around best-undead-dog-ever Digby on the pie-shop floor. And then there’s the rapturous climax of Chuck (the marvelous Anna Friel) and Ned finally sharing a kiss as the Danny Elfman-like score swells. The fact that both are encased in transparent body bags, so no flesh actually touches (because that would send Chuck back to the afterlife), is both beside the point and very much the point.

ABC likes to bill the show as a "forensic fairy tale," emphasizing the procedural as well as fantastical elements of the show. Watching this episode, as our heroes faced a garish (if easy-to-spot) villain who was more funny than frightful, what came to mind was the classic The Avengers. Oh, if only Diana Rigg would do a cameo!

The only thing missing: Chuck's crazy aunts played by Swoosie Kurtz and Ellen Greene. Thankfully, the trailer revealed they’ll return next week. I’ll be there. And like this week, I'll be hoping to be surprised and enchanted all over again. There is nothing else like this show, and I can’t think of a single other new network series that hit it out of the park in its second week the way Pushing Daisies did. There is hope for this fall yet.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...wing/800024303

#9,989 ·
I don't know how different they are, but there seems to be about twice as many of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH /forum/post/11878154

...Are ANTM's viewer's that much different than "Gossip Girl" viewers?

#9,990 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa /forum/post/11878110

TV Notes
Hollywood writers in contract showdown

If there is a strike, he says, "there will be, in a year, a spate of hastily thrown together movies. They will suffer from having gone ahead with incomplete scripts that haven't gone through the level of care they normally would.

"They will be less than exciting movies boring movies."

It is hard to imagine the movies from the studios being any worse than they have been for the last two or three years. I thought they were already just slapping them together. Throw in some breasts that can't act and some CGI explosions and BAM-Blockbuster!

#9,991 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa /forum/post/11879181

I don't know how different they are, but there seems to be about twice as many of them.

I am super "offended" to even mildly grouped with fans of ANTM, I have never and will never watch that show; I love Gossip Girl, such a great replacement for the fans of The OC!!

#9,992 ·
Cable Nielsen Notes
Cable Networks by Primetime Viewers, Week Ending Oct. 7
Code:
Code:
[B]#           Net    Avg Viewers Live+SD (million) Last Week
 1         TBS              5.318        4
2         ESPN             2.814        2
3         Disney           2.703        1
4         USA              2.392        3
5         TNT              1.527        5
6         Fox News         1.395        6
7         Lifetime         1.371        7
8         Cartoon Network  1.336        8
9         Hallmark         1.213        19
10        Nick at Night    1.178        10
11        SPIKE            1.107        11
12        Comedy Channel   1.085        -- 
13        Court TV         1.079        13
14        SCIFI            1.075        16
15        A&E                  1.056        14
15        HGTV             1.017        18
17        FX               0.988        15
18        MTV              0.929        20
19        History Channel  0.870        -- 
20        VH1              0.860        --[/B]
Source: Nielsen Media Research data

#9,993 ·
The Business of Television
TiVo Rolling Out on Comcast
DVR Vendor Hopes to Stem Subscriber Losses by Integrating with Cable Operators

By Jon Hemingway -- Broadcasting & Cable, 10/11/2007

TiVo’s rollout over Comcast’s cable systems is finally underway.

The two companies are partners in a multiyear deal to make TiVo’s digital-video-recorder service available to Comcast subscribers as a downloadable software install that would be an additional choice to the customer’s existing DVR. The deal was struck in 2005, but the technical development of the service meant that it would not be available until this fall.

While neither company is detailing the extent of the rollout, they have confirmed that the first users who are not Comcast employees have the service. The service was expected to be available first in pockets of metro Boston before gradually rolling out throughout Comcast’s New England footprint throughout the fall.

TiVo is hoping that integrating its service with cable companies will offset some of its subscriber losses from DirecTV, which stopped promoting TiVo in favor of a box from News Corp.’s NDS Group. TiVo’s net subscriber loss in the first half of the year was 247,000.

In a separate announcement this week, TiVo said it struck a digital-music deal with Rhapsody, an online-music provider jointly run by MTV Networks and RealNetworks. The deal will allow TiVo users with broadband connections to access Rhapsody’s digital-music offerings such as its library of 4 million songs and thousands of Internet-radio stations.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ind...leID=CA6489309

#9,994 ·
I think I'm gonna grab a bag of popcorn and see what happens with this whole strike thing. Will the writers find out they aren't as important as they think? Or will the Suits learn the real value of the written word? Or will the whole thing blow over with minimum fuss and no cataclysms anywhere?

Whatever the result, at least I'll have my popcorn.

#9,995 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa /forum/post/11876956

I am sure Toni Fitzgerald (along with other writers who have mentioned the "slippage" for Dexter), just weren't aware of the free Showtime weekend.

To be fair, we all have a handful of favorites we keep track of, some of these writers have to try to keep their eyes on hundreds of shows. So an occasional slip up is understandable.

Any idea how the multiple showings of Dexter and other similar premium channel shows affects the ratings? Heck, I record one of the repeats, not even the regular showing.

#9,996 ·
Showtime and HBO keep track of the added showings of their programs, (and they can be major) but generally when speaking of ratings, they refer to the first showing on the main channel.

#9,999 ·
I'll just head for the video store and pick up some series I never watched but think I'll enjoy -- and then see all its episodes over a period of weeks.

If the writers are still out, I'll just repeat the exercise. I will miss a handful of shows, but I will live. And I suspect that after the strike ends, I'll watch at least a little bit less of TV.

These writers (and TV executives) just don't get that when you are providing entertainment for a shrinking audience, perhaps you shouldn't make the same kind of money as in the days when your shows were seern by 30-40 million viewers.

I hope both the business and creative sides have a sudden revelation: just pay the people who actually are creative, and leave all those extra "executive producer" credits -- along with their hefty fees -- to fend for themselves.

If a writer/producer wants to do another show, fine. But don't keep paying him or her the same amount for the original program. That is financial and creative suicide.

#10,000 ·
Nielsen Notes
Wednesday’s Final Overnight Nielsen Ratings

(Posted by Travis Yanan in Marc Berman’s Programming Insider blog)

Criminal Minds

- 14.554 million viewers

- 9.3/14 HH

- 3.9/10 A18-49

CSI: NY

- 13.431 million viewers

- 8.8/15 HH

- 4.1/11 A18-49

Deal or No Deal

- 12.575 million viewers

- 8.0/13 HH

- 3.1/9 A18-49

Private Practice

- 12.420 million viewers

- 8.2/13 HH

- 4.9/13 A18-49

Bionic Woman

- 10.280 million viewers

- 6.5/10 HH

- 3.9/10 A18-49

Pushing Daisies

- 10.263 million viewers

- 6.7/11 HH

- 3.7/11 A18-49

Dirty Sexy Money (10:02pm)

- 8.636 million viewers

- 5.9/10 HH

- 3.3/9 A18-49

Life

- 8.100 million viewers

- 5.2/9 HH

- 2.7/8 A18-49

Kid Nation

- 6.905 million viewers

- 4.3/7 HH

- 2.1/6 A18-49

Back to You

- 6.625 million viewers

- 4.1/7 HH

- 2.3/7 A18-49

'Til Death

- 6.488 million viewers

- 3.9/6 HH

- 2.4/7 A18-49

Kitchen Nightmares (9:01pm)

- 6.371 million viewers

- 4.1/6 HH

- 3.0/8 A18-49

America's Next Top Model

- 5.373 million viewers

- 3.5/6 HH

- 2.5/7 A18-49

- 2.9/9 A18-34

Gossip Girl

- 2.800 million viewers

- 1.8/3 HH

- 1.3/3 A18-49

- 1.7/5 A18-34

Source: Nielsen Media Research data

http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/t.../26510277/p/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.