Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The 2007-2008 Season
ABC's Schedule
TV just got a lot 'whiter,' says a canceled George Lopez
By Maria Elena Fernandez Los Angeles Times Staff Writer May 14, 2007

George Lopez, the first Latino to lead a television series successfully, isn't laughing. "TV just became really, really white again," he said.

ABC, he said, has "unceremoniously" canceled his self-titled comedy, which over the years chronicled his personal life from his sad childhood growing up with an abusive grandmother, to his alcoholism and kidney transplant.

"The George Lopez Show" will live on in syndication, but that's not making Lopez feel better about not getting the chance to tell one final season of stories. Lopez said Steve McPherson, ABC president of prime-time entertainment, called him over the weekend to explain that "financially" it wasn't working out, that the network would lose money if it picked up the show again.

That explanation was painful to hear, Lopez said, considering the way the network has shuffled his show over the years -- four different time slots in five years -- and putting it up against "American Idol" time and time again.

It all contributed to the show's low ratings, a point not lost on Lopez who noted that this season his show out-performed two freshman comedies that were renewed: "Notes from the Underbelly" and "Knights of Prosperity."

"I'll take the good and the bad," Lopez said. "I took the five years of good and I did a lot with the good. My popularity, I was involved in charities, I overcame my illness, all on TV. I shared all of that with Americaevery secret I had. Every personal feeling. Every emotion. Everything was open to the show. And what happens?"

Lopez said he attributed the cancellation in part to the fact that the show is produced by Warner Bros. Television, and not ABC Television Studios. Using some colorful language that cannot be printed in a family newspaper, Lopez scoffed in particular at another ABC pickup: "Caveman," about two brothers and one best friend, described as sophisticated cave dudes living in modern-day Atlanta, who will continually find themselves at odds with contemporary society.

"I get kicked out for a...caveman and shows that I out-performed because I'm not owned by [ABC Television Studios]...So a...Chicano can't be on TV but a...caveman can?" Lopez said. "And a Chicano with an audience already? You know when you get in this that shows do not last forever, but this was an important show and to go unceremoniously like this hurts. One hundred seventy people lost their jobs."

For his part, Lopez will be fine. He has an HBO special and a movie coming in the summer, and a deal with Warner Bros. to produce television movies.

"They dealt with us from the bottom of the deck," Lopez said. "Which is hard to take after what was a good run."

** Editors update: Whoa! Hold your fire, "ATJ" fans!

No sooner did we report the cancelation of the Jim Belushi comedy "According to Jim" that we heard from seemingly everyone who watches the show that we were wrong, wrong, wrong. Well, they may be right, the show might very well be renewed after all. But ABC won't confirm that. We'll keep checking back.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...05/post_1.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

OK, we will still be hearing a lot about the new NBC schedule, but now the attention shifts to ABC.

(As I have noted previously, this is by no means official, although it seems to be the consensus of what ABC is thinking. But Steve McPherson is capable of some surprises, so nothing will be certain until Tuesday.)
The 2007-2008 Season
ABC's Plans

Upfront Presentation: Tuesday May 15, 4 PM ET, Lincoln Center (There will be a press briefing at 8 AM ET, so details of the schedule should be forthcoming long before the Upfront presentation.)

Renewed for 2007-2008
America's Funniest Home Videos
The Bachelor
Boston Legal
Brothers & Sisters
Dancing With The Stars
Dancing With The Stars Results
Desperate Houswives
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
Grey's Anatomy
Lost
Men In Trees
Notes From The Underbelly
October Road
NCAA Saturday Night Football
Supernanny
Ugly Betty
Wife Swap

Drama Pickups
Big Shots
Cashmere Mafia
Dirty Sexy Money
Eli Stone
Private Practice
Pushing Daisies
Women's Murder Club

Comedy Pickups
Carpoolers
Cavemen
Sam I Am
Miss/Guided (mid season)

Cancelled
Daybreak
George Lopez
Great American Dream Vote
In Case Of Emergency
Knights of Prosperity
The Nine
Six Degress
Show Me The Money

post #1593 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Forgive me Fred for this off-topic question. I didn't want to start a new thread with this question when I think I can get a quick answer from one of the thread followers, if not you Fred. I did a search but couldn't find anything that related to this although I would find it difficult to believe that this hasn't been asked before.
So because of a stupid thunderstorm warning that is in a county about 120 miles from me, tonight's Heroes is in SD. I am receiving this signal via OTA. My question is....if I were to upgrade to the mpeg4 receiver that Directv offers, I would be able to receive my locals in HD. (my area is now available for this)
Would I still get this same thunderstorm warning/SD 4:3 display during Heroes or would I get a non-warning/HD 16:9 display that I normally receive? Same thing goes for 24 on Fox. T-storm warning results in 4:3 SD program. Uggh, I hate that. But I am wondering if I will face the same thing going with my locals through D*.
Anyone?
post #1594 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

TV Notebook
Rival Network to Recruit Trump's Apprentice?

How "The Apprentice" is still on the air is a mystery. I know most folks stopped watching a long time ago, but I'm one of the few that watched season six, and it was awful. IMO, this show was one of the better-produced and more intriguing reality shows in its heyday, but it has completely derailed over the past two seasons. This season's finale was a joke compared to previous seasons; not only did the contestants face a ho-hum final project that would barely test high school students, they actually worked together on it. Four contestants going into the finale was a bad idea, and the whole thing came off as if everyone involved in the series just gave up during the last three episodes. I would even expect something that lame on VH1, and I'm definitely no fan of VH1.

This show would need MAJOR changes to get me back as a viewer. Why another network would be interested is beyond me (unless it's My Network TV).
post #1595 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The Trump people are claiming it is one of the other three "major" networks (take that, CW!) so it wouldn't be MyNetworkTV.

post #1596 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Forgive me Fred for this off-topic question. I didn't want to start a new thread with this question when I think I can get a quick answer from one of the thread followers, if not you Fred. I did a search but couldn't find anything that related to this although I would find it difficult to believe that this hasn't been asked before.
So because of a stupid thunderstorm warning that is in a county about 120 miles from me, tonight's Heroes is in SD. I am receiving this signal via OTA. My question is....if I were to upgrade to the mpeg4 receiver that Directv offers, I would be able to receive my locals in HD. (my area is now available for this)
Would I still get this same thunderstorm warning/SD 4:3 display during Heroes or would I get a non-warning/HD 16:9 display that I normally receive? Same thing goes for 24 on Fox. T-storm warning results in 4:3 SD program. Uggh, I hate that. But I am wondering if I will face the same thing going with my locals through D*.
Anyone?

You will receive the same signal you'd get OTA via DirecTV's MPEG4. If the station always goes to SD to show weather alerts, you would still see them. The only difference is that the signal would be passing through DirecTV on its way to you instead of coming straight from the local station's tower. DirecTV carries EXACTLY the same feed you'd get from your local station.
post #1597 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSaysYo View Post

You will receive the same signal you'd get OTA via DirecTV's MPEG4. If the station always goes to SD to show weather alerts, you would still see them. The only difference is that the signal would be passing through DirecTV on its way to you instead of coming straight from the local station's tower. DirecTV carries EXACTLY the same feed you'd get from your local station.

Damn, I was afraid of that. These weather warnings really suck. Do all affiliates go SD when they display an alert?
post #1598 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Alan. You are right about providing the same signal, but in fairness, there are those who claim the DirecTV MPEG4 signal is not as good as a pure OTA signal.

It may vary market to market, it may be as good, or it may not be.

Here in Los Angeles I cannot tell the difference between the signals I get OTA and those I get from DirecTV.

I would assume your station runs storm warnings on both its SD and HD transmissions, MaestroJ, but you would have to ask them about their practices.

post #1599 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

Damn, I was afraid of that. These weather warnings really suck. Do all affiliates go SD when they display an alert?

It depends on their equipment set. As they upgrade this issue will go away.

xnappo
post #1600 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

They do here, and they do it on election nights also.
post #1601 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 2007-2008 Season
ABC's Schedule

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...05/post_1.html

Quote:

"I get kicked out for a...caveman and shows that I out-performed because I'm not owned by [ABC Television Studios]...So a...Chicano can't be on TV but a...caveman can?" Lopez said. "And a Chicano with an audience already? You know when you get in this that shows do not last forever, but this was an important show and to go unceremoniously like this hurts. One hundred seventy people lost their jobs."

OMG...I didn't care for Lopez...I didn't watch his show...I never even really thought much about him period, but now, I think a whole lot less of him.

What a bunch of crap ...his show gets canned and he plays the race card. He should be thankful he had as many years as he did.

Mike
XBOX 360 Gamertag : SCJagfan

post #1602 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 2007 Upfront Notebook
NBC Upfront:
We're Liveblogging This Baby!
by James Poniewozik Time Magazine television critic in Time's Tuned In blog May 14, 2007

http://time-blog.com/tuned_in/

Quote:

3:20: The new-series previews start! JOURNEYMAN has its protagonist travel back in time to 1987 to right mistakes from his past. In this version, he shuttles between the present and the past. Kevin McKidd (Rome's Vorenus) joins the ranks of Brits playing Americans on TV.

Sounds like a version of Quantum Leap to me..what?? Scott Bakula wasn't available??

Mike

post #1603 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 08:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

The 2007-2008 Season
ABC's Schedule

George Lopez, the first Latino to lead a television series successfully, isn't laughing. "TV just became really, really white again," he said.

Ughhhh, he should not be using race to explain why his show was canceled. I tried many times over the years to stomach his show as well as According to Jim, and I have both thought they should have been canceled a LONG time ago. He should be thankful (as well as the people at According to Jim) that ABC decided to keep their old, stale, unwatchable comedies on for so many years. I am looking forward to the breath of fresh air next year with new comedies on ABC, and I do not care if the people in it are white, black, green or purple, just as long as the show is funny, which George Lopez was not. If Scrubs was getting canceled by NBC in place of a George Lopez like show and Zach Braff said something about the move being race driven he would be a pariah in television for years, much like Michael Richards. But anyways, sorry to get off topic but I am looking forward to seeing some new ABC comedies next year and I hope the unfunny According to Jim suffers the same fate as the unfunny George Lopez. And did Lopez say Knights of Prosperity is returning? That would make my day And oh by the way George, there is a Latino in that show, and she is much better looking than you
post #1604 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I would suspect that George wishes he hadn't said what he said to the LA Times reporter.

Maybe we should cut him some slack, it can never be fun to be fired.

post #1605 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would suspect that George wishes he hadn't said what he said to the LA Times reporter.

Maybe we should cut him some slack, it can never be fun to be fired.

I assume Michael Richards and Don Imus would have liked the same courtesy.

I hope Mr. Sharpton will come to the defense of those poor cavemen.

Mike

post #1606 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

Before I could email Maureen your correction, she had already made it in her "Journeyman" piece, VisionOn -- and I made in in the posting here, too.

I knew someone would point it out to her. For years I thought he was Italian-American, so when I found out he was actually Australian that odd fact stuck in my head.

post #1607 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttermaker View Post

I assume Michael Richards and Don Imus would have liked the same courtesy.

I hope Mr. Sharpton will come to the defense of those poor cavemen.

Agreed but we are getting way OT....

post #1608 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The 2007 Upfront Notebook
NBC rolls out fewer shows for fall lineup
The struggling network is banking on just five new dramas and a sitcom to grab viewers
By Martin Miller Los Angeles Times Staff Writer May 15, 2007 (Times staff writer Matea Gold also contributed to this report.)

NEW YORK NBC, the fourth-place network, officially raised the curtain on its new fall schedule Monday, and there were surprisingly few performers standing on its stage.

The struggling network is banking on five new dramas, one new comedy and a handful of reality programs to help boost its rankings in an ever-crowded entertainment marketplace.

"I take comfort not in quantity but quality," said Kevin Reilly, NBC's president of entertainment.

Reilly made his remarks at a morning news conference, a prelude for this week's "upfronts." The weeklong springtime ritual of rolling out new fall programming relies on an often elaborate song-and-dance to stir up advertiser enthusiasm.

The fewer programs are a deliberate strategy in a new age of television, Reilly said. Like other traditional media, television has been raked by the gradual and ever worrisome erosion of its once huge audience at the hands of everything from cable's niche programming to sophisticated computer games. "Everybody is down," Reilly said.

Had the network picked up more new shows, Reilly said, NBC probably couldn't have promoted them.

"For networks in down cycles," Reilly said, "loading up on product is not necessarily a recipe for success, particularly in this day and age with the fragmented audience where you simply can't market them."

The new shows include "Journeyman," "Chuck," "Bionic Woman," "Life," "Lipstick Jungle" and "The IT Crowd."

Just as vital as what NBC is unveiling this week is what NBC decided to keep. The network renewed two shows: its comedy-within-a-comedy, "30 Rock," and its gritty look at small-town life, "Friday Night Lights." Both shows scored with critics and developed an almost cultish following.

Both shows foundered in the ratings, but Reilly said scheduling was partly to blame something he hopes to rectify this fall. "30 Rock" moves back an hour from 9:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on the network's Thursday comedy night away from the audience-crushing force of ratings monsters "Grey's Anatomy" and "CSI."

Meanwhile, "Friday Night Lights" shifts, appropriately enough, to Friday nights at 10.

"I must have had a billion people ask me why isn't it on Fridays," Reilly joked. "The mystery is over."

Reilly assured journalists that perhaps "30 Rock's" single most important actor, Alec Baldwin, who portrays a ruthless corporate executive, was committed to staying. Baldwin, who won a Golden Globe award for the role earlier this year, had suggested he wanted to leave television after his abusive voicemail message to his preteen daughter gained nationwide publicity.

The early pickups for both shows also contained another motivation: a potential strike by the Writers Guild of America, whose contract is up in October. At issue between the writers and networks is compensation for television content over the Internet. But the early pickups will allow for earlier production of shows and a modest stockpile should a strike occur.

When asked why the network didn't stand by Aaron Sorkin's drama "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," Reilly replied: "We can only reach for so many of these. It just felt like that show had run its course."

Also, absent from NBC's fall schedule was Donald Trump's increasingly wobbly reality show "The Apprentice." Once a ratings powerhouse, the franchise saw its ratings fall again despite moving the program to Los Angeles last season.

But Reilly said don't scratch out Trump's name just yet.

"We want to be in business with Donald," Reilly said. "He has a certain magic."

The NBC president repeatedly made mention of "bulking up" his schedule. NBC has expanded orders to 30 for its solid hits: serial drama "Heroes" and comedy "The Office." The "Heroes" order includes a half dozen episodes for a spinoff called "Heroes: Origins," in which a new character will be introduced every week and one will be voted onto the regular series by viewers.

The strategy is the answer to the spring ratings for NBC, which were a heavy drag on its numbers. Last year, there was too much emphasis on the fall.

"We're not front-loading," Reilly said. "So we don't fall apart in the spring."

"ER," the acclaimed medical drama, remains on NBC at its same time slot, at 10 p.m. Thursdays. However, in October the network and the show's creative team will determine whether this will be its final season. After a strong ratings surge last fall, the show markedly dipped.

"We want 'ER' to go out strong," Reilly said.

Also, nearly a decade after "Seinfeld" ended its run on NBC, Jerry Seinfeld appeared at the upfronts to tout his new project a series of mini-episodes that take viewers behind the scenes of his upcoming DreamWorks animated "Bee Movie."

Seinfeld's new project, which he dubbed "Making Bee Movie Magic," amounts to 20 short promotions for the film, which is being released Nov. 2. The mini-episodes will run during NBC's prime-time schedule and online in the fall near the movie's release (the exact dates haven't been determined).

The marketing gambit could pay off for NBC Universal, which has exclusive U.S. broadcast and cable rights to the movie.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...dlines-entnews

post #1609 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Mo works all the time -- she is one of the most prolific posters on the net.

I still wish she hadn't replaced Steve Johnson.
post #1610 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

JOURNEYMAN- From Emmy Award-winning writer-producer Kevin Falls (The West Wing) and Emmy Award-winning director-producer Alex Graves (The West Wing), Journeyman is a romantic mystery-drama about Dan Vasser (Kevin McKidd, Rome), a San Francisco newspaper reporter and family man who inexplicably begins to travel through time and change people's lives. Along the way, he also must deal with the difficulties and strife at work and home brought on by his sudden disappearances. However, his freewheeling travels through the decades reunite him with his long-lost fiancée Livia (Moon Bloodgood, Day Break) which complicates his present-day life with wife Katie (Gretchen Egolf, Martial Law) and their son. Reed Diamond (Homicide: Life on the Street) and Charles Henry Wyson (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button) also star. Journeyman is a production of 20th Century Fox Television. Falls is executive producer and writer; Graves is executive producer and director of the pilot.

Glad to see the beautiful Moon Bloodgood back on television after her brief Daybreak appearance. BTW, anyone else get a chuckle that Lucias Vorenus from Rome is engaged to Livia!
:geek:
post #1611 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The 2007-2008 Season
Where will ABC put 'Private Practice'?
CW said to have strong dramas
By Michael Schneider, Cynthia Littleton Variety

Where is Addison's new home?

As web heads and industry insiders geared up for Day 2 of upfront madness with Tuesday's presentations from ABC, speculation centered on where the Alphabet might deploy its most potent new weapon, "Grey's Anatomy" spinoff "Private Practice." ABC of course was keeping tight-lipped about anything to do with its upfront announcements.

Pairing "Practice," which centers on Kate Walsh's Addison Montgomery character exiting Seattle for a new life working at a tony Santa Monica medical group, with "Anatomy" in the Thursday 9-11 p.m. hours would make for a potent night for ABC. But the conventional wisdom is that ABC has too many holes to fill on other nights for it to use most of its ammo on Thursday.

"Practice" might well be used to help ABC fill some holes on Wednesday, especially now that it plans to hold back the return of "Lost," its anchor on the night, until January. One scenario had new drama "Pushing Daisies," about a detective who can touch the dead and bring them back to life, landing at 8 p.m., followed by "Private Practice" at 9 p.m. and possibly a returning drama at 10 p.m. a la "Men in Trees." The new drama "Dirty Sexy Money" starring Peter Krause as an idealistic lawyer who's forced by circumstance to become the legal caretaker of a powerful New York family has good buzz and could also be a contender.

The other big question surrounding ABC is what show gets the vote of confidence to land in the post-"Anatomy" 10 p.m. Thursday slot, should the net decide to relocate current occupant "October Road." The buzz late Monday as insiders convened at the Four Seasons hotel for the annual William Morris Agency upfront bash had the plum slot going to "Cashmere Mafia," a new Darren Star ensembler about - what else? - four successful femmes juggling families, relationships and careers.

On the unscripted side, the Oprah Winfrey-produced skein "The Big Give" is undoubtedly a contender for a fall slot, perhaps on Monday where ABC has had success with reality/alternative series.

ABC's comedy strategy is another puzzler. It's expected that the net will continue to aim its half-hours to Tuesday, though ABC's lineup is definitely in transition with "According to Jim" still very much on the bubble and "George Lopez" reportedly history. The top candidate for a good slot seems to be the buzzed-about "Cavemen" project based on the recent series of Geico commercials riffing on early homosapiens trying to find their way in 21st century America.

Sunday is expected to stay status quo with the "America's Funniest Home Videos," "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," "Desperate Housewives" and "Brothers & Sisters."

CW Network, in its second upfront outing, is said to have strong drama contenders that have cinched spots on the fall sked: "Gossip Girl," about rich kids in New York; and "Reaper," which adds to the list of new shows revolving around the people who are either vampires or dead and recently resurrected or both.

"Reaper" may well get the post-"Smallville" 9 p.m. Thursday slot now held by "Supernatural," which is expected to graduate to a third season. "Gossip Girl" sounds tailor-made for the post "America's Next Top Model" berth on Wednesdays. That would mean a new time slot is in store for "One Tree Hill, which skated to a renewal.

"Wild at Heart," a family drama set at a South African game preserve, seems bound for the old "7th Heaven" 8 p.m. slot on Sunday.

CW's lone half-hour newcomer is "Aliens in America," about a Muslim exchange student and his friendship with an unpopular teenage boy. "Aliens" has undergone a last-minute studio shift. It's now coproduced by CW's parent studios, Warner Bros. TV and CBS Paramount Network TV after originating studio, NBC Universal TV Studio, bowed out because of financial concerns about the cost of producing a single-cam show on the CW (though NBC U TV retains a small piece as insurance on the off chance that it becomes a monster hit).

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...&categoryid=14

post #1612 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notebook
The ubiquitous Bob Barker
By Diane Werts Newsday Staff Writer inNewsday's TV blog

OK, folks, I have to admit this is one cult I don't get.

The Bob Barker Farewell Tour is now approaching the length of Cher's.

If you haven't come-on-down lately, the 83-year-old host of CBS' morning gamefest The Price Is Right is retiring from his 35-year reign next month, an event being treated like some sort of epic abdication.

CBS is running two -- count 'em, 2! -- prime-time specials in sweeps this week to mark the milestone: The Price Is Right Million Dollar Spectacular (Wednesday at 8 p.m.) and Bob Barker: A Celebration of 50 Years on Television (Thursday at 8 p.m.).

Barker is making the entire CBS late-night talk circuit, too, visiting this Wednesday night with both David Letterman (11:35 p.m.), where he'll present the Top Ten List, and Craig Ferguson (12:35 a.m.), to demonstrate his martial arts skills. (The latter's a repeat. But still.)

GSN, not to be outdone on its home turf, is also joining in Barkerpalooza this week with on-air and online game thrills. This Tuesday-Friday on GSN, Barker appears in 1970s vintage Match Game episodes at 9 and 9:30 p.m., as well as 1991 Family Feud outings at 11 and 11:30 p.m., where he and his Barker's Beauties battle stars from The Young and the Restless. He's also part of a Saturday, May 19 special at 7 p.m., Game Show Countdown: Top 10 Hosts. That same night on GSN, Barker is seen in '70s episodes of I've Got a Secret (11 p.m.) and Tattletales (11:30 p.m.). Not enough? More Barkerama at gsn.com.

Over at CBS' web site, they're asking viewers to upload 15 seconds of video saying your personal goodbyes to the white-haired host and animal advocate.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/blog/

post #1613 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notebook
Fall season taking on foreign air
By Nellie Andreeva The Hollywood Reporter May 15, 2007

It's crunch time for TV studios' business affairs departments, but this year it seems as if they're spending equal time closing deals for new series and preparing work visas for the shows' stars.

A trend that emerged during the pilot-casting season comes into focus this week when the networks pick up their new series: Foreign actors are playing the leads on a staggering number of new shows next season.

There have been a few here and there -- Brit Hugh Laurie of "House" and Australian Anthony LaPaglia of "Without a Trace," both Emmy winners for their roles on the shows -- but never quite like this. It's across the board on every network, and it's massive.

Almost all new drama series with a single lead that will premiere next season -- a total of eight shows -- have a foreign actor playing the role of an American. Even two iconic Hollywood characters, Jamie Sommers of "The Bionic Woman" and Sarah Connor of the "Terminator" franchise, will be played by British actresses Michelle Ryan and Lena Headey, respectively.

NBC picked up five one-hour series for next season, the ensemble dramedy "Lipstick Jungle," the action comedy "Chuck" and a trio of single-lead dramas, "Bionic Woman," "Journeyman" and "Life," all three of which are toplined by British actors: Ryan, "Rome" star Kevin McKidd and "Band of Brothers" star Damian Lewis, respectively.

NBC Entertainment president Kevin Reilly, who compared Lewis to Laurie at the network's press conference Monday, had been joking that NBC should be nominated for BAFTAs, the British TV awards.

British actors' ability to disguise their accents have always made them attractive for U.S. TV casting executives. But it was the drive to break new television stars that made them such a hot commodity this year, NBC head of casting Marc Hirschfeld said.

"I think that American viewers want to discover unknowns and watch them become the next generation of TV stars," he said. "I think the success of 'American Idol' is the most obvious example of that."

Sharon Klein, head of casting at 20th Century Fox TV, which produces "Journeyman," said that often the nature of the show demands going for an unfamiliar face.

"You don't want preconceived notions about the actor," she said.

With the success of shows fronted by a relative unknown -- such as those in "My Name Is Earl," "Prison Break" and especially "House" -- the networks have been more open to new faces, slowly opening the door for foreign actors in the past few years.

This year, the door was kicked down.

The title character in ABC's new drama series "Eli Stone" is played by Brit Jonny Lee Miller. Two of the four leads in ABC's new drama series "Cashmere Mafia" are played by British actress Frances O'Connor and Australian actress Miranda Otto.

The private investigator/vampire at the center of CBS' new drama series "Moonlight" is played by Australian actor Alex O'Loughlin, while the lead in the CBS musical/murder mystery "Viva Laughlin" is played by Briton Lloyd Owen. Colombian actress Paola Turbay and British actress Polly Walker play leads in the Latin family ensemble "Cane," and one of the main characters in the partner-swapping drama "Swingtown" is played by Brit Jack Davenport.

And at Fox, in addition to Headey starring as the title character in "The Sarah Connor Chronicles," Danish actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau will play the lead in the new drama series "New Amsterdam," with British actress Zuleikha Robinson co-starring.

The casting directors of HBO's "Rome" should get a commission from the networks and the studios this development season. Three of the show's stars -- McKidd, Walker and Robinson -- landed on series for next season, with CBS' drama pilot "Babylon Fields," toplined by "Rome's" Ray Stevenson, said to still be in contention.

Having so many foreign actors on primetime series has put one on-set service in high demand.

"It's the year of dialect coach," quipped Robin Schwartz, president of Regency TV, which is producing "Amsterdam." The company also produced the ABC drama pilot "Mr. and Mrs. Smith," which starred Australian Martin Henderson as one of the two leads.

Added Klein: "A lot of dialect coaches will be in play. It is the job to have this year."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...79b709b0d9c1cf

post #1614 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 10:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Fred, don't you ever sleep? Go to bed, the McPherson 8AM ET press conference is 5AM your time. Save your batteries for tomorrow or the rest of the week will go unreported because you'll be drooling half-asleep over your keyboard.

post #1615 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The 2007-2008 Season
It's a repeat:?
ABC to add 11 series next season
By Gary Levin USA TODAY

ABC is adding 11 series next season, far more than any other network, repeating a pattern it set last year.

The network, which unveils its fall lineup today, will add four comedies and seven dramas, including a Grey's Anatomy spinoff, several of which will be rotated gradually into the schedule.

Among current shows, midseason series October Road and Notes From the Underbelly will return. Goners include George Lopez, Knights of Prosperity, What About Brian, In Case of Emergency and According to Jim, though there's a chance Jim could be resurrected for midseason.

ABC's new lineup is heavy on soapy, comedic dramas, which already form the backbone of the network's success with Desperate Housewives, Grey's and Ugly Betty. But the network lacks any successful half-hour comedies, and the loss of Monday Night Football helped push ratings down 11% this year; ABC now ranks third.

The new crop:

Private Practice, the Grey's spinoff, is centered on Addison Montgomery (Kate Walsh) and co-stars Tim Daly, Taye Diggs and Amy Brenneman. Possible for Wednesdays.

Pushing Daisies, which probably will be among the most-talked-about fall series, is a quirky detective show/fairy tale about a man (Lee Pace) who can bring the dead back to life with his touch.

Dirty Sexy Money stars Peter Krause (Six Feet Under) as an idealistic lawyer who goes to work for a rich family led by Donald Sutherland and Jill Clayburgh.

Eli Stone, about a lawyer who finds out he might be a prophet, stars Jonny Lee Miller.

Women's Murder Club, based on the James Patterson book series, concerns a group of amateur crime-solvers.

Cashmere Mafia, a drama about female business-school buddies now balancing their high-powered jobs, is from Sex and the City creator Darren Star. Cast includes Lucy Liu.

Big Shots, a guy soap about four CEO pals and their personal lives, stars Dylan McDermott, Michael Vartan, Joshua Malina and Christopher Titus. It's likely for midseason.

Comedies:

Carpoolers follows four very different guys who commute to work each day.

Cavemen, Geico's commercial pitchmen, are a metaphor for everyday discrimination as they live normal lives in Atlanta.

Sam I Am stars Christina Applegate as an amnesia victim for whom starting over proves tough when she realizes she had been a bad person.

Miss/Guided is about a former ugly duckling (Judy Greer) who returns to her high school as a guidance counselor.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...C-lineup_N.htm

post #1616 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The 2007-2008 Season
For ABC, Dramas Fill Out the Lineup
By Bill Carter and Jacques Steinberg The New York Times May 15, 2007

ABC will continue to be the most aggressive of the networks with its lineup of new shows for the next television season, ordering at least 11 new series, when it officially announces its fall schedule to advertisers today.

That network already has more big hits than any of its competitors and is looking to add to the total by bringing in the biggest list of new contenders.

According to network and studio executives who know of the shows ABC has ordered, the network will add seven new hourlong dramas and four new comedies to its lineup. Most of these will come on the air in the fall, but many will be scheduled later in the season.

Most prominent of the new entries will be Private Practice, the spinoff of ABC's biggest hit, Grey's Anatomy, starring Kate Walsh as a doctor who leaves Seattle Grace Hospital for a wellness clinic in Los Angeles and has further romantic and sexual adventures.

That new series that is already generating the most positive talk, both inside and outside ABC, is a quirky romantic hourlong comedy-drama called Pushing Daisies,about a young man who discovers to the advantage of a homicide detective that with a touch he can both raise the dead and send them back again. His power complicates his relationship with a young woman he can love only unrequitedly. Lee Pace and Anna Friel play the couple, supported by Chi McBride and Kristin Chenoweth.

Following in the footsteps of Desperate Housewives, ABC has another new drama with a catchy title in Dirty Sexy Money, in which Peter Krause (Six Feet Under) plays a lawyer for a venal corrupt family.

Money is also a factor in Big Shots (the title may change), about four rich corporate executives and their tribulations with business and women. Dylan McDermott (The Practice) and Joshua Malina (The West Wing) are among the stars.

Cashmere Mafia is yet another series attempting to replicate the successful formula of Sex and the City, with a group of New York women in and out of romance. But this one was at least created by Darren Star, who also produced Sex. Lucy Liu (Ally McBeal) is among the stars.

Women's Murder Club is a self-explanatory crime procedural, with Angie Harmon (Law & Order) playing the main investigator.

The final drama is Eli Stone, about a lawyer who may be crazy or may be a prophet. Jonny Lee Miller is the star, supported by Victor Garber (Alias.)

ABC has struggled mightily with comedy in recent years and so far is bringing back only one for a new season: Notes From the Underbelly. Its long-running According to Jim may return, but George Lopez has been canceled.

Heading the list of new comedies is Sam I Am, which stars Christina Applegate as a woman who loses her memory in an accident, learns she was a rotten person and tries to reform.

Cavemen will star some familiar faces: the guys in the Geico car-insurance commercials who look like cavemen but otherwise dress and talk like anyone else. They will face prejudice as they try to adapt to contemporary society.

Carpoolers is a buddy comedy about guys who drive to work together each day, as well as their home lives. Jerry O'Connell and Faith Ford (Murphy Brown) are among the stars.

The final comedy is Miss Guided, about a young woman who returns to her old high school to become a guidance counselor. Judy Greer is the star.

ABC is also bringing back the drama October Road, which had a brief run this spring, but is canceling What About Brian.

NBC made it own schedule public yesterday, and it was, by its executive's admission, a conservative lineup with only four new hours set for the fall. Kevin Reilly, the president of NBC Entertainment, said that adding more new series now was unwise because it is so difficult to market new shows in the fall.

The key to the schedule is Bionic Woman, the remake of the 1970s series, which NBC has placed in the middle of the Wednesday lineup hoping, as Mr. Reilly put it, to blast a hole on the night. Life, the cop drama that follows it, is also new, meaning the network is placing two new shows in a row, a gambit with a low degree of success.

The show getting the best spot on NBC's schedule is Journeyman, a science fiction series that will reside on Mondays at 10, right after the biggest hit of this season, Heroes.

The fourth new NBC drama for fall is Chuck, which will try to marry the comedy of The 40-Year-Old Virgin to a high-tech action series. It will run Tuesdays at 9.

The biggest news out of NBC concerned several of its returning series. NBC wants to get the most out of these as possible, and so it is ordering 30 half-hours of its hit comedy The Office, 25 of its other Thursday night comedy success My Name Is Earl and 30 of Heroes. All are above the normal order of 22 for a typical show.

Heroes will actually be a kind of hybrid of sorts because 24 of the episodes will be regular editions of Heroes and the other six will be a related idea called Heroes: Origins. At least five of the The Office shows will be hourlong episodes.

NBC also at the last minute renewed its long-running comedy Scrubs, leaving it on Thursday night. That meant NBC ordered no new comedies for its fall schedule. Mr. Reilly said that given the competition on Thursdays, where all its comedies reside, it was safer to not introduce a new series

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/15/ar...gewanted=print

post #1617 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Fred, don't you ever sleep? Go to bed, the McPherson 8AM ET press conference is 5AM your time. Save your batteries for tomorrow or the rest of the week will go unreported because you'll be drooling half-asleep over your keyboard.

Good idea, dad. See you in the morning,

post #1618 of 96893 Old 05-14-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:

As for BSG, I have heard that season 4 will be the last. I'll try to dig up some stories about it for you, but there are many readers of the site who are far more up on BSG than I so maybe they can help more quickly-- and today promises to be pretty busy.

But I'll find it as soon as I can.

You'll notice in "FNL" about six-seven episodes in that the ultra-choppy documentary style gets modified just a bit into a choppy documentary style, and that slowly evolves during the season to a slightly less-choppy doc style.

Do you have any idea how it is doing in the ratings in RSA?

Thanks for the lookout for BSG news fred

Thanks for the explanation on FNL's camerawork, although it really doesn't bother me that much, it may add a bit to the already great quality production - Even with only 2 episodes in, I can already see this quickly moving up to my top 3 shows...

As for the ratings, the sites I usually check for ratings are about 2 weeks behind on ratings, so I'll let you know once I get some info from there, but it's showing on Friday nights, on a "paying-channel" (Where the "free" channels' drama's usually average anything between 1 and 3 million viewers the "paying-channel" usually only has about 100 000 to 300 000 viewers) so I won't expect massive ratings...
post #1619 of 96893 Old 05-15-2007, 12:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:

The 2007-2008 Season
It's a repeat:?
ABC to add 11 series next season
By Gary Levin USA TODAY

ABC is adding 11 series next season, far more than any other network, repeating a pattern it set last year.

The new crop:

Rather silly really, but as I was scrolling down to this posting, and given the title and that first line, I had what I guess would be called a Freudian thought - I read the above as "The new crap". OTOH, it may turn out to be true.
post #1620 of 96893 Old 05-15-2007, 04:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSaysYo View Post

Just to quickly add to this, the FCC requires stations to provide emergency information of life or property damage on BOTH channels. This was not required until last year for digital and most stations didn't provide that information on the digital channel because it is a pain in the butt for us to do it too if you are running separate SD/HD switchers, which most stations are at this point. Or if you are a FOX affiliate, you don't have a choice but to go back to SD during network since there is no real cost effective way to do it with the splicer and the splicer doesn't currently provide a way to insert emergency information into the stream during network.

As was pointed out, as more stations convert over to HD plants, that issue will go away as Feb 2009 inches closer, many stations are in the process of converting to digital studios, realizing that after Feb 2009, people will expect the same level of service in the all digital world that they have been receiving in the SD analog world since that will be stations only product. But every station will convert at its own pace. Some before Feb 2009, some after. It will depend on the amount of money and work needed to convert.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page