Golf in HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-07-2007, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone is having problems with CBS and the golf channel's HD picture quality. I notice a lot of blurring and so forth when shots come down on the greens. I am using a samsung 1080p DLP set with comcast here in Richmond, Virginia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-07-2007, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Yes same thing with OTA and on two TV's. So CBS is/was having issues.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-07-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaCoker View Post

Yes same thing with OTA and on two TV's. So CBS is/was having issues.

yea I noticed the same thing with dish and with OTA...did not look good
post #4 of 9 Old 05-07-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can't recall seeing it last weekend with a 1080i CRT RPTV via NYC's WCBS-DT and TWC to a 8300HD cable DVR. Also, appeared to me they again got the camera contrast and/or gamma settings right, as they did from Texas the week before, since the white sand traps and clothing weren't blooming to obscure details. Also, that seems to result in better overall contrast (and consequently resolution). At the Masters, the camera blooming seemed severe and I noticed a faint whitish 'glaze' over all the images; even thought that glaze was, ah, natural! Spotted some blocking breakups from the portable cameras, but assumed that was the compressed RF link back to the truck(s) at fault. -- John
post #5 of 9 Old 05-07-2007, 11:38 AM

Liked: 11
OTA in South Florida had it's problems with pixelation and audio/video dropouts.
Even with problems, the blimp shots looked amazing.

-Gary
post #6 of 9 Old 05-07-2007, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_lawyer View Post

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone is having problems with CBS and the golf channel's HD picture quality. I notice a lot of blurring and so forth when shots come down on the greens. I am using a samsung 1080p DLP set with comcast here in Richmond, Virginia.

I did not notice any of these problems with my local cable signal. What you describe I did see at times last year...but honestly did not see it this past weekend or on any of the CBS broadcasts.

What you describe I am confident is a local encoder issue. I know this because of last year's (2006) Masters. The early rounds on UHD were absolutely clean..with no blurring/pixelization with the ball drop on the green. Suddenly, when my local CBS affiliate took over the broadcast...the blurring ball drop issue reared its head. It drove me nuts. I talked to the local station eng about the issue...he played with the Harris encoder and some other settings...bingo problem solved.

My cable co provides a full HD signal with a high bit rate. PQ can be equal to any of my optical HD disks.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #7 of 9 Old 05-07-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I thought it looked great but I also was flipping around a bit so maybe I missed something
post #8 of 9 Old 05-07-2007, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

I did not notice any of these problems with my local cable signal. What you describe I did see at times last year...but honestly did not see it this past weekend or on any of the CBS broadcasts.

What you describe I am confident is a local encoder issue. I know this because of last year's (2006) Masters. The early rounds on UHD were absolutely clean..with no blurring/pixelization with the ball brop on the green. Suddenly, when my local CBS affiliate took over the broadcast...the blurring ball drop issue reared its head. It drove me nuts. I talked to the local station eng about the issue...he played with the Harris encoder and some other settings...bingo problem solved.

My cable co provides a full HD signal with a high bit rate. PQ can be equal to any of my optical HD disks.

I think comcast here compresses the signal a bit. I have noticed the same thing on the golf channel in HD on the VS/Golf HD feed in the evenings. It seems like they have lots of contrast issues with the various shades of grass and also the "blurring" or pixelization (I don't know the technical term for it) in regard to when the ball drops on the green. It seems like it is this way for CBS sports in general. Fox, ABC, and ESPN seem fine, but I have noticed problems with CBS
post #9 of 9 Old 05-07-2007, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_lawyer View Post

I think comcast here compresses the signal a bit. I have noticed the same thing on the golf channel in HD on the VS/Golf HD feed in the evenings. It seems like they have lots of contrast issues with the various shades of grass and also the "blurring" or pixelization (I don't know the technical term for it) in regard to when the ball drops on the green. It seems like it is this way for CBS sports in general. Fox, ABC, and ESPN seem fine, but I have noticed problems with CBS

Golf is probably as difficult to properly encode/compress as anything you can throw at a piece of software (except strobe lights). Grass has lots of texture...trees partially lit ...bushes....multi-colored clothing on crowds...

Too much compression and the grass comes alive with pulsing...trees shimmer....

When I had Direct TV golf was simply immpossible for me to enjoy due to the excessive compression. The swimming sea of grass was nausea inducing.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page