post #31 of 53 Old 05-13-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I must be missing out on something good here. I never download stuff off the internet - even the legal stuff except for a couple times just to see what the big deal is.

However, to hear Hollywood call it, you'd thing everyone with a DSL or cable conenction was pirating content. If that's the case, here must be some real gold out there that I'm missing because I just don't see it. Maybe my grandmother knows. She's pretty shifty. I'll bet she's a hardcore content pirate.

Everything I want comes right to my home - including DVDs via Netflix. I can't imagine going through the bother some people go through to get stuff via bit torrent or P2P sites. Probably the worst thing I've done is rip and shrink a few of my DVDs down to watch on my PDA. I certainly don't share them with others. Other people can bloody well buy their own content. They can't share mine. Honestly, I'd be glad to buy that stuff from I-tunes if my PDA played Quicktime stuff. That's the only reason I even put that much effort into it.

Of course, if the studios let the cat out of the bag about who is really putting the illegal content out there, they'd never get support from the feds. From what I read, most of the content comes from people working in the studios themselves. If that's true, these guys need to police themselves before handcuffing us with more limiting technology.

I agree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 05-13-2007, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The article and HBO's assertions are complete fabrications. People do not copy HD via Component. They copy HD via Cable Boxes that have Firewire outputs (some of which do not have 5C encryption activated) or through after market mods to DISH and DirecTV boxes. Analog Component NEVER comes into play. It is not used. Period.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #33 of 53 Old 05-13-2007, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 155
no deadwood, no sopranos, nothing gripping on the horizon, no need for HBO to push; I'll be leaving on my own accord.
post #34 of 53 Old 05-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

(I'm in the same boat with a Mitsubishi RPTV I got in 2002).

Yeah, but we Mitsubishi RPTV owners have the Promise Module so we are never obsolete
post #35 of 53 Old 05-13-2007, 09:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post

Yeah, but we Mitsubishi RPTV owners have the Promise Module so we are never obsolete

Yeh, I bought my Mits RPTV in 2000 and the 'promised module' was even talked about then. So far I haven't seen it......

John M
post #36 of 53 Old 05-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Considering the poor quality of the HBOHD feed compared to either HD disc they shouldn't be too concerned.
post #37 of 53 Old 05-13-2007, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Of course, if the studios let the cat out of the bag about who is really putting the illegal content out there, they'd never get support from the feds. From what I read, most of the content comes from people working in the studios themselves.

Totally agree.. When someone complains about something, I think its good for them to actually clean their "own house" before doing anything else. Because it wouldn't surprise me one bit, if the majority of all this illegal stuff online comes from within the studios themselves
post #38 of 53 Old 05-14-2007, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzo View Post

Totally agree.. When someone complains about something, I think its good for them to actually clean their "own house" before doing anything else. Because it wouldn't surprise me one bit, if the majority of all this illegal stuff online comes from within the studios themselves

this may be true for movies, but with tv shows they 99% of the time show up online about an hour after their debut airing, and often times have telltale signs of being a recording from a tv broadcast, not a master.
post #39 of 53 Old 05-14-2007, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post

....don't get me started!

Thing is, even after 5 years of use, that set still gets a great picture. I'd hate to have to replace just because of some paranoid fear that the average consumer will go copy mad. Track down the bootleggers and do what needs to be done to them, but leave us alone!!!
post #40 of 53 Old 05-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutBomb View Post

this may be true for movies, but with tv shows they 99% of the time show up online about an hour after their debut airing, and often times have telltale signs of being a recording from a tv broadcast, not a master.

How bored must someone be to upload tv shows they already got for someone else.
post #41 of 53 Old 05-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7oeb View Post

Rival groups actually compete and try to get their version out before the competition. In theory, a Heroes fan can download, and watch the episode (captured from East Coast feed) before it airs on the West Coast.
post #42 of 53 Old 05-14-2007, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
HBO only had 1 hour of programming a week worth watching, The Sopranos. And that jumped the shark a couple years ago. They screw with the OAR and bitrate of the movies they show. What content do they have of true HD quality that is worth pirating?

Oh by the way Zitter, you need a serious rig and a $1000+ capture card capable of component HD capture at 1080i. Not for the average Joe Sixpack.

HBO is just taking the content nazi lead again, just like they did with C-band satellite back in the day.
post #43 of 53 Old 05-14-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:

frequent uploaders gain noteriety in the pirate community and earn access to private sites where they can get things faster, earlier, and more reliably. they aren't doing it because they are bored.
post #44 of 53 Old 05-15-2007, 01:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by GutBomb View Post

frequent uploaders gain noteriety in the pirate community and earn access to private sites where they can get things faster, earlier, and more reliably. they aren't doing it because they are bored.

Probably very similar to the "scene" for music where music can be found pre-release date.
post #45 of 53 Old 05-15-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

This is hillarious! It's a lot harder to copy over analog component outputs than unencrypted QAM. Follow me...

I want to copy something from HBO on demand. I start it up on my cable box, then walk over to my PC which has an external USB QAM tuner box. Tune to the channel my show is on(OnDemand, even HD is sent unencrypred QAM, I can find what I am watching on a regular unencrypted QAM channel) with my PC's QAM tuner, and hit record, it's that simple.

Disabling my component output does N O T H I N G to stop getting these shows on the internet.
post #46 of 53 Old 05-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

This is hillarious! It's a lot harder to copy over analog component outputs than unencrypted QAM. Follow me...

I want to copy something from HBO on demand. I start it up on my cable box, then walk over to my PC which has an external USB QAM tuner box. Tune to the channel my show is on(OnDemand, even HD is sent unencrypred QAM, I can find what I am watching on a regular unencrypted QAM channel) with my PC's QAM tuner, and hit record, it's that simple.

Disabling my component output does N O T H I N G to stop getting these shows on the internet.

Just out of curiosity what external HD card do you have? I have been looking at the "DVICO Fusion HDTV 5 USB ATSC and QAM Tuner" but I am interested in hearing about other options.

People stopped watching because it sucked ass. Not because they didnt know the show was on. Now they are no longer watching the shows they liked because you constantly promote other crap.
post #47 of 53 Old 05-15-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRock View Post

Just out of curiosity what external HD card do you have? I have been looking at the "DVICO Fusion HDTV 5 USB ATSC and QAM Tuner" but I am interested in hearing about other options.

I'll put in a plug for the AutumnWave OnAir USB GT - there's a thread here on AVS about it. Nice little unit that does ATSC and QAM. Stable drivers, and excellent customer service. They are always improving the software based on user feedback. Driver for TSReader also available.
post #48 of 53 Old 05-15-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Considering the poor quality of the HBOHD feed compared to either HD disc they shouldn't be too concerned.

huh?
post #49 of 53 Old 05-15-2007, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The other loophole is firewire. There's broken implementations of the copy never/copy once schemes out there. I can't capture live HD programming over firewire, but I can record it on my cable DVR, then play it back later via firewire into my PC.
post #50 of 53 Old 05-15-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I dare HBO to turn off HD via component. Because when they do, I'll stop subscribing.

Chet
post #51 of 53 Old 05-15-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the same thing that paule123 mentioned, the OnAir GT USB HDTV tuner. Works great, decent software, and a dedicated thread on AVS with OnAir support staff constantly monitoring/responding to it, along with other active users. That was a large factor in my decision.
post #52 of 53 Old 05-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have the same thing that paule123 mentioned, the OnAir GT USB HDTV tuner. Works great, decent software, and a dedicated thread on AVS with OnAir support staff constantly monitoring/responding to it, along with other active users. That was a large factor in my decision.

Thank you. Any advice on where to buy it? I see that Staples sells it for $159.99. I would love to be able to buy it without paying for shipping but I know sometimes the official site is the best place even though there price is $179.

People stopped watching because it sucked ass. Not because they didnt know the show was on. Now they are no longer watching the shows they liked because you constantly promote other crap.
post #53 of 53 Old 05-15-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you. Any advice on where to buy it? I see that Staples sells it for $159.99. I would love to be able to buy it without paying for shipping but I know sometimes the official site is the best place even though there price is $179.

I bought mine through CopperBox.com
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page