Cablevision HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Senior Member
 
ja2bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

free MLB or is there a service charge?

Think free if you have iO or the Sports pack.
ja2bk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-18-2008, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dm145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 4,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

Adding two more HD channels:

MLB Network in HD and SD --- December 16-18

http://www.satelliteguys.us/cablevis...-services.html

now live
dm145 is offline  
Old 12-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Senior Member
 
DevOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New York City Metro Area
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MLB Network is a "Family Cable" bundled service as required by the "MLB EI" contract.
DevOne is offline  
Old 12-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
 
ja2bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevOne View Post

MLB Network is a "Family Cable" bundled service as required by the "MLB EI" contract.

Well Cablevision didn't get that memo then. I have Family Cable and it isn't authorized on my box. I got rid of iO and lost Versus-HD, Golf-HD, Nat Geo HD, Sci Channel HD, CMT-HD, and Hallmark Movie Ch. HD due to them being on the iO tier. MLB is in that tier as well. Would be nice if it wasn't, but that is not the case.
ja2bk is offline  
Old 12-18-2008, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
All 15 Voom channels are going to be discontinued by Rainbow, probably in late January.

Details: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1097720

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
Old 12-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Senior Member
 
ja2bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will be interesting to see what 15 HD channels replace Voom. Can't say this wasn't expected, but thought they would consolidate channels first. WOnder if the SDV debacle aided in their decision?
ja2bk is offline  
Old 12-19-2008, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BeachComber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wandering a Beach Somewhere....
Posts: 2,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja2bk View Post

Will be interesting to see what 15 HD channels replace Voom. Can't say this wasn't expected, but thought they would consolidate channels first. WOnder if the SDV debacle aided in their decision?

The replacement channels will be SDV as well.
BeachComber is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RemyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 4,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 39
They already pulled the plug on HD News. According to my guide channel the rest of the VOOM channels will go away on 1/20/09.
RemyM is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dm145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 4,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber View Post

The replacement channels will be SDV as well.

link?
dm145 is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Senior Member
 
chevydude26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how does cablevision hd compare to directtv hd??? I'm switching from directtv to cablevision because having the 3 services bundled is 100 dollars cheaper than what i'm paying for directtv

i'm worried that the hd material might not be as good and i'm sad not to have a&e and bio hd and cartoon network and disney hd
chevydude26 is offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dm145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 4,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post

how does cablevision hd compare to directtv hd??? I'm switching from directtv to cablevision because having the 3 services bundled is 100 dollars cheaper than what i'm paying for directtv

i'm worried that the hd material might not be as good and i'm sad not to have a&e and bio hd and cartoon network and disney hd

PQ seems to have gone down over the years as they add HD channles. Hope is after February moving more ch's from analog to digital would help free up much needed bandwidth. OOL is 15/2 with no added cost. I have not heard to many complaints with their VOIP service either. I don't think Directv is 100.00 a month better than any service?
dm145 is offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BeachComber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wandering a Beach Somewhere....
Posts: 2,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

link?

Use some common sense. They dont have 9 available QAMs to put pet.tv on. This has been well documented in the threads over and over. If they did, the Voom channels would not have been put on SDV.
BeachComber is offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Senior Member
 
chevydude26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
wow i just switched to cablevision from directtv...and hands down directtv is so much better in terms of hd quality ...its no contest

watching transformers on hbo hd there is blurry pixelation and choppiness whenever something moves

And the motion blur of my lcd doesn't work anymore like it did on direcctv...

darn...100 bucks a month is 100 bucks though...i'll just keep my movie watching on blu ray for now
chevydude26 is offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Member
 
capt.video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post

wow i just switched to cablevision from directtv...and hands down directtv is so much better in terms of hd quality ...its no contest

watching transformers on hbo hd there is blurry pixelation and choppiness whenever something moves

And the motion blur of my lcd doesn't work anymore like it did on direcctv...

darn...100 bucks a month is 100 bucks though...i'll just keep my movie watching on blu ray for now

And of course you know that 100 bucks is only for 1 year...& then after that you will be paying whatever the rate are then...there are a few people @ work who think that will be the permentent price until I tell them to "read the fine print" & then they go ...WTF!!
capt.video is offline  
Old 12-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Senior Member
 
chevydude26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.video View Post

And of course you know that 100 bucks is only for 1 year...& then after that you will be paying whatever the rate are then...there are a few people @ work who think that will be the permentent price until I tell them to "read the fine print" & then they go ...WTF!!

yeh by then i'll just switch back to directtv or maybe fios will be in my area...they have me at 2 years though...

i really switched for the 250 dollar gift card and the 100 dollars helps my budget but the sharpness is lacking on their hd ...i might switch back to directtv in 2 months but i'll wait till february see if they add more hd channels and their quality improves

its not bad its just a lot less sharp and their colors seem off and darker (yes i'm using the same input with the same tv settings)

thank goodness these guys have no contract
chevydude26 is offline  
Old 12-22-2008, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dm145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 4,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber View Post

Use some common sense. They dont have 9 available QAMs to put pet.tv on. This has been well documented in the threads over and over. If they did, the Voom channels would not have been put on SDV.

Common sense doesn't always dictate. Your opinion was stated as fact and without proof that is irresponsible.
dm145 is offline  
Old 12-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Senior Member
 
johnner1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
maybe I missed a previous post... but how did you get those gift cards?

my back story:

I have D* with the big 5LNB dish and two HD DVRs... I pay about $90 a month for the extra pack and HD. The hardware sucks - very slow to respond and searching for shows is a chore. I "want" to switch back CV and buy two HD TiVo boxes which would be about $15 a month cheaper - BUT TiVo is worth it I think (since I would have to pay D* a LARGE ETF :-( )

So a gift card might make it it worth even more. My other hang up is picture quility of SD/HD content with CV. And lack of HD channels being added (and I hope not on SDV) if it matters I'm on the Litchfield County Market with CV)

let me know your thoughts
johnner1999 is offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Newbie
 
hd or nothing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody know what will replace all those Voom channels on Cablevision in nyc when they are droped
hd or nothing is offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd or nothing View Post

Anybody know what will replace all those Voom channels on Cablevision in nyc when they are droped

I don't think it's known yet. Check the last few pages of this topic.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
Old 01-13-2009, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dm145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 4,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Comedy Central HD is being rolled out today, tomorrow and thurs.
(1/13/09 - 1/15/09)

Anyone with Cablevison getting it yet on 768?
dm145 is offline  
Old 01-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Newbie
 
Kyusaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

Comedy Central HD is being rolled out today, tomorrow and thurs.
(1/13/09 - 1/15/09)

Anyone with Cablevison getting it yet on 768?

Not yet for me.

The news about the loss of VOOM lineup really saddens me. I have movies on my DVR from like March, before they expanded their lineup. And now it's gonna be gone. =(
Kyusaku is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dm145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 4,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Voom replacements reported by SatGuys to be rolled out next week (1/21 - 1/23):

http://www.satelliteguys.us/cablevis...-channels.html

Encore HD - Channel 772 (350)
Starz Kids & Family HD - Channel 773 (342)
Starz Edge HD - Channel 774 (343)
HBO Signature HD - Channel 775 (301)
HBO Family HD - Channel 776 (302)
HBO Comedy HD - Channel 777 (303)
HBO Zone HD - Channel 778 (304)
HBO2 HD - Channel 779 (96)
HBO Latino HD - Channel 793 (305)
Action Max HD - Channel 794 (371)
More Max HD - Channel 795 (372)
@MAX HD - Channel 796 (375)
Outer MAX HD - Channel 797 (377)
Showtime Too HD - Channel 798 (90)
dm145 is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Member
 
cos54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

Voom replacements reported by SatGuys to be rolled out next week (1/21 - 1/23):

http://www.satelliteguys.us/cablevis...-channels.html

Encore HD - Channel 772 (350)
Starz Kids & Family HD - Channel 773 (342)
Starz Edge HD - Channel 774 (343)
HBO Signature HD - Channel 775 (301)
HBO Family HD - Channel 776 (302)
HBO Comedy HD - Channel 777 (303)
HBO Zone HD - Channel 778 (304)
HBO2 HD - Channel 779 (96)
HBO Latino HD - Channel 793 (305)
Action Max HD - Channel 794 (371)
More Max HD - Channel 795 (372)
@MAX HD - Channel 796 (375)
Outer MAX HD - Channel 797 (377)
Showtime Too HD - Channel 798 (90)

Well I guess if you subscribe to IO Gold you'll be happy. No benefit to non-premium customers.
cos54 is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 4,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos54 View Post

Well I guess if you subscribe to IO Gold you'll be happy. No benefit to non-premium customers.

Was just thinking the same thing.
Us lowly $130/month Cablevision customers won't be watching any of those new HD channels
Guess I don't need the SDV Adapter (when Cablevision finally releases it) for my TiVo-HD now.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
replayrob is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Member
 
TimothyP83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

Comedy Central HD is being rolled out today, tomorrow and thurs.
(1/13/09 - 1/15/09)

Anyone with Cablevison getting it yet on 768?

I got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

Voom replacements reported by SatGuys to be rolled out next week (1/21 - 1/23):

http://www.satelliteguys.us/cablevis...-channels.html

Encore HD - Channel 772 (350)
Starz Kids & Family HD - Channel 773 (342)
Starz Edge HD - Channel 774 (343)
HBO Signature HD - Channel 775 (301)
HBO Family HD - Channel 776 (302)
HBO Comedy HD - Channel 777 (303)
HBO Zone HD - Channel 778 (304)
HBO2 HD - Channel 779 (96)
HBO Latino HD - Channel 793 (305)
Action Max HD - Channel 794 (371)
More Max HD - Channel 795 (372)
@MAX HD - Channel 796 (375)
Outer MAX HD - Channel 797 (377)
Showtime Too HD - Channel 798 (90)

Too bad i cancelled all my movie channels. The movies Optimum plays suck. Also, when are we getting EspnewsHD and NBATVHD
TimothyP83 is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Senior Member
 
CloudKind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos54 View Post

Well I guess if you subscribe to IO Gold you'll be happy. No benefit to non-premium customers.


Replacing a bunch of free HD channels with a bunch of pay HD channels is not a nice deal

What's a signature?
CloudKind is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Senior Member
 
ja2bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unfortunately, there is nothing we can truly say about this decision. They said HD is free with iO. HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz were always in the counts they were touting.

The question I have is, what is the 15th Voom HD replacement channel? Are they counting Comedy Central HD as part of the 15? If not, then there is still one more HD channel to come. Will there be a News12 HD? Will it be a mix of all the local News12s? I doubt they would do seperate Jersey, Bronx, Brooklyn, and LI ones as they do in SD. They could still do a News12 HD (with a mix of all the operations) from the Voom HD set (if its not shut down and dismantled already).
ja2bk is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
VideoJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Was just thinking the same thing.
Us lowly $130/month Cablevision customers won't be watching any of those new HD channels
Guess I don't need the SDV Adapter (when Cablevision finally releases it) for my TiVo-HD now.

How are you paying $130/month?

Even the top package, io Gold, costs about $96/month.
VideoJames is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Member
 
cos54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoJames View Post

How are you paying $130/month?

Even the top package, io Gold, costs about $96/month.


Most likely a triple-play customer like myself.
cos54 is offline  
Old 01-16-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dm145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 4,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Being an ioGold and OOL customer (@173.00 per month), I am thrilled to have more HD I will actually watch
dm145 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off