2007 Wimbledon - 16:9 SD on NBC HD & ESPN2 HD - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 251 Old 06-22-2007, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anyone know if NBC will broadcast in HD?

NEWS: BBC's Wimbledon goes HD and online
Jun 12, 2007

The BBC is making the most of its HD trial service for the annual Wimbledon tennis championships - it will be carrying the whole of its coverage in HD. And if you're away from your flatscreen, you can even watch live coverage on your computer.

The annual tennisfest, which kicks off on June 25, will feature the usual team of commentators, including Boris Becker and John McEnroe, who will be joined this year by Martina Navratilova and Greg Rusedski.

And as at the Artois tournament, the Hawk-Eye ball-tracking camera system will be in use to examine disputed line-calls.

But the real treat for HD TV viewers is that the BBC says that "Wimbledon will be broadcast in High Definition (HD) for the entire two weeks of the tournament. There will be 12 hours of coverage per day with the best in live play and highlights from Centre and No.1 Courts from 12.55pm to 1.00am.

"HD coverage will be available on the trial BBC HD Channel to digital satellite and cable viewers who have HD set-top boxes and televisions."

In standard definition, satellite and cable viewers will be able to choose live action from up to five courts a day, and Freeview users up to four, while the interactive service will replay Today at Wimbledon to allow viewers to catch up on the day's play.

Finally, bbc.co.uk/wimbledon will be streaming the live BBC One and BBC Two coverage, as well as providing highlights, results and news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 251 Old 06-22-2007, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 60
It's not listed as being shown in HD on their release.
http://nbcumv.com/sports/release_det...entsonnbc.html
post #3 of 251 Old 06-22-2007, 06:16 AM
JCL
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Officially, NBC has been absolutely silent on this issue. On-air promos of Wimbledon lacks the HD logo, which is usually a big hint.

If you've been following the French Open Widescreen Thread in this forum this month.... A production manager from ESPN (which has cable rights for French Open and Wimbledon) indicated that he was able to learn from NBC people at Roland Garros NBC will not be in HD for Wimbledon this year.

According to his sources, NBC was planning for HD but hit a snag somewhere along the line. The fact that ESPN was able to produce a 16:9 SD feed from the French Open host broadcaster, which is not producing HD, prompted discussions (and expectations) about future tennis broadcasts in 16:9 and/or HD in the U.S. At best, we can pray for a 16:9 SD Wimbledon telecast from NBC this year. Apparently it is easy to go from 4:3 to 16:9, but to leap into HD is both a money and technical hurdle, given the relatively low TV ratings of tennis in America -- especially if they come from a different time zone.
post #4 of 251 Old 06-22-2007, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it will look better than the french open did.
Maybe I should buy a low rez tv so I can watch tennis.
post #5 of 251 Old 06-22-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike jones View Post

Anyone know if NBC will broadcast in HD?

NEWS: BBC's Wimbledon goes HD and online
Jun 12, 2007

The BBC is making the most of its HD trial service for the annual Wimbledon tennis championships - it will be carrying the whole of its coverage in HD.

I believe that sentence is slightly misleading. The BBC are aiming to make all the coverage that they originate in HD (Centre Court and Court Number One) available to HD viewers (by repeating matches not shown live later in the day).

Last year the HD service (the BBC have a single HD Trial service) only carried live Tennis, so really only showed about half of the HD material when both HD courts were in play.

Not all court coverage is in HD though - there are still plenty of 16:9 SD courts.
post #6 of 251 Old 06-22-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I thought it was very poor that NBC did not continue the 16x9 SD coverage for the French Open that ESPN had done for the entire first two weeks of the tournament.

ESPN has early round coverage of Wimbledon. Will they be doing any HD or 16x9 SD?

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #7 of 251 Old 06-22-2007, 12:44 PM

ESPN's website lists the upcoming Wimbledon events as HD on ESPN2.
post #8 of 251 Old 06-22-2007, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelig2 View Post

That would be great, but I wouldn't count on it. I think we'll be lucky to get 16:9 SD as we did the French Open.
post #9 of 251 Old 06-22-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

That would be great, but I wouldn't count on it. I think we'll be lucky to get 16:9 SD as we did the French Open.

Why not? If the BBC HD feed is available, ESPN may well use it.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #10 of 251 Old 06-22-2007, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'm only basing that on the comments made during the French Open by the AVS member that was an ESPN insider assisting with the French Open broadcast. I don't recall that he specifically denied Wimbledon would be shown in HD, but that the expense to transmit the HD feed would be significantly higher than transmitting the 16:9 SD feed.

Hope I'm wrong, although ESPN's coverage of the French in 16:9 SD was very good.
post #11 of 251 Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it will look better than the french open did.
Maybe I should buy a low rez tv so I can watch tennis.

Sorry your FO experience wasn't so hot. I watched several hours of coverage on The Tennis Channel via D* and found the quality of the picture very good.
post #12 of 251 Old 06-22-2007, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelig2 View Post

My Programming guide doesn't have it listed as being in HD, neither does ESPN TV listings at http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnGuide

It will be on the HD channel, hopefully in 16x9 SD like the French open or we get the pillars again

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #13 of 251 Old 06-22-2007, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

So I'm striving to be optimistic about the presentation on NBC. Will the broadcast from England have any better pq than the one from France maybe because the cameras and production facilities are set up for the BBC HD show? And NBC gets their feed off them right?
post #14 of 251 Old 06-22-2007, 03:34 PM

Hmmm.. ESPN's web site does list Wimbledon as being in HD. http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnGuide Monday June 25th, 8am ESPN2 HD.

I believe this is false however. I was the technical director for ESPN at the French Open and I know their plans were to go 16x9 SD at Wimbledon... But I'm not involved with the Wimbledon broadcast and they could've changed their plans since we all parted ways a few weeks ago, but that seem unlikely as that is a short period of time to change the gameplan that drastically. I'll send an email to one of the directors and technical managers who's over there and see what's up.

As I also indicated in the French Open thread, I spoke with some NBC people while I was at the French and they were looking into HD at one time for Wimbledon, but the plan was to go SD 4x3. Again, that could've changed as well, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Freelance Broadcast Technical Director

AVS Forum needs thread wiki!
See: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=917548
post #15 of 251 Old 06-22-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiffee View Post

Hmmm.. ESPN's web site does list Wimbledon as being in HD. http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnGuide Monday June 25th, 8am ESPN2 HD.

I swear to go that HD icon was not their earlier when i checked, but ya know i could just be a moron

Quote:

I believe this is false however. I was the technical director for ESPN at the French Open and I know their plans were to go 16x9 SD at Wimbledon... But I'm not involved with the Wimbledon broadcast and they could've changed their plans since we all parted ways a few weeks ago, but that seem unlikely as that is a short period of time to change the gameplan that drastically. I'll send an email to one of the directors and technical managers who's over there and see what's up.

As I also indicated in the French Open thread, I spoke with some NBC people while I was at the French and they were looking into HD at one time for Wimbledon, but the plan was to go SD 4x3. Again, that could've changed as well, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Sad that the networks can't match the coverage for the finals that the sports nets get for the rest fo the tourney. Maybe ESPN will use any and all HD that is available from the BBC

post #16 of 251 Old 06-23-2007, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I'm striving to be optimistic about the presentation on NBC. Will the broadcast from England have any better pq than the one from France maybe because the cameras and production facilities are set up for the BBC HD show? And NBC gets their feed off them right?

The BBC provide mixed court-feeds, some ISOs, as well as pooled interview areas, to other rights holders as host broadcaster.

NBC traditionally contract their on-site production facilities (i.e. the facilities that take in the BBC feed and add NBC specific presentation / replay / graphics etc.) to Visions (now NEP Visions) who have both HD and SD facilities.

BBC Resources haven't traditionally provided NBC with production facilities - I suspect that the BBC would be a bit pressed to do this with their own trucks - as they also have Glastonbury taking place this weekend (a huge multi-stage music festival - with a number of HD stages, and output on BBC One, BBC Two, BBC HD alongside 5 streams on BBC Interactive TV) which runs until the day before Wimbledon on the other side of the country...

The bottom line for NBC and ESPN is the following decision making process :

1. Only two courts are HD, the others are 16:9 SD.

2. Do we run our UK operation entirely in HD and upconvert the 16:9 SD feeds whilst retaining HD quality for Centre Court and Court Number One, and backhaul in HD? (Expensive as HD facilities and links are required even though not all coverage will be HD)

*** Also HD to HD conversion is still not as advanced as SD to SD conversion - and it could be that the SD quality would be reduced as a result of the HD route - especially if the new S&W Alchemist PhC HD converters NBC are buying haven't arrived - they are being bought for Beijing which, like Wimbledon, is 1080/50i. ***

3. Do we run our UK operation entirely in 16:9 SD and upconvert to HD for transmission (ideally directly from 576i and not via 480i) - this gives full widescreen coverage, but no HD, and may mislead people into thinking that this is poor HD? The additional costs would be reworking graphics and titles to 16:9, upconverting to HD and possibly running an HD operation in the US to handle it?

4. Do we run our UK operation entirely in 4:3 as we always have ? (No cost issues)

5. Do we have a hybrid operation - complex and both technically and production-wise difficult to support and sustain effectively - and still costly.

Nothing is simple - especially for commercial broadcasters who have to be ruled by the bottom line... (Commercial TV only exists to make money by selling you stuff, it isn't a public service...)
post #17 of 251 Old 06-23-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

I spoke with some NBC people while I was at the French and they were looking into HD at one time for Wimbledon, but the plan was to go SD 4x3. Again, that could've changed as well, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Going by NBC's past record I'll bet it's 4:3 SD, but maybe they'll wake-up and smell the peacock poop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Nothing is simple - especially for commercial broadcasters who have to be ruled by the bottom line... (Commercial TV only exists to make money by selling you stuff, it isn't a public service...)

NBC is not a non-profit organization, but they're working on it.
post #18 of 251 Old 06-24-2007, 07:01 AM

ESPN will be 16x9 SD I have confirmed- so disregard the "HD" on the programming guide. Frankly, the "average joe" probably wouldn't know the difference.

Regarding HD, I hear the BBC and the Club haven't figured out all the details on how to pass on the costs to the visting broadcasters. I hear that has been a major sticking point in the progress of getting Wimbledon in HD. With that in mind, I would expect NBC to remain 4x3 SD as planned but maybe it's not entirely their fault.

Spike, I wouldn't expect Wimbedon to look any better than the French... the camera feeds there also originated from HD cameras.

Freelance Broadcast Technical Director

AVS Forum needs thread wiki!
See: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=917548
post #19 of 251 Old 06-24-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:

ESPN will be 16x9 SD I have confirmed- so disregard the "HD" on the programming guide. Frankly, the "average joe" probably wouldn't know the difference.

If ESPN's Wimbledon's coverage in 16:9 SD is as good as it was for the French Open, that will be some consolation.
post #20 of 251 Old 06-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Can you imagine how terrible HD tennis would look on NBC?

no thank you
post #21 of 251 Old 06-24-2007, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Spike, I wouldn't expect Wimbedon to look any better than the French... the camera feeds there also originated from HD cameras.

The courts will be a nicer colour ...
post #22 of 251 Old 06-24-2007, 10:57 AM
JCL
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe noche View Post

Can you imagine how terrible HD tennis would look on NBC?

no thank you

I've been watching Wimbledon since the 80's. It's sad to see NBC's coverage, which used to set the gold standard in PAL-to-NTSC conversion, now bringing up the rear in PQ. Breakfast at Wimbledon no more. It's Breakfast at McDonalds these days, only thing missing are those Shrek kiddie toys.
post #23 of 251 Old 06-24-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post

I've been watching Wimbledon since the 80's. It's sad to see NBC's coverage, which used to set the gold standard in PAL-to-NTSC conversion, now bringing up the rear in PQ. Breakfast at Wimbledon no more. It's Breakfast at McDonalds these days, only thing missing are those Shrek kiddie toys.

I agree with you JCL. NBC used to pride themselves when it came to quality. Before HD, NBC was the standard, but now they are just crap.
post #24 of 251 Old 06-24-2007, 11:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

NBC is not a non-profit organization, but they're working on it.

Thanks for that lol moment.
post #25 of 251 Old 06-24-2007, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA View Post

I agree with you JCL. NBC used to pride themselves when it came to quality. Before HD, NBC was the standard, but now they are just crap.

Isn't NBC Sports a seperate entity from NBC Universal in general or are they all under the same umbrella that Jeff Zucker controls. The moron who said about HD Viewers, "I'm not overly concerned about it at this point"

post #26 of 251 Old 06-24-2007, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 View Post

Isn't NBC Sports a seperate entity from NBC Universal in general or are they all under the same umbrella that Jeff Zucker controls. The moron who said about HD Viewers, "I'm not overly concerned about it at this point"

Dick Ebersol who is the Chairman of NBC Universal sports reports to Zucker, so I do not know how much freedom he has to make decisions. I know that he used to have total control before.

http://www.nbcuni.com/About_NBC_Univ...sol_dick.shtml
post #27 of 251 Old 06-24-2007, 06:10 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA View Post

Dick Ebersol who is the Chairman of NBC Universal sports reports to Zucker, so I do not know how much freedom he has to make decisions. I know that he used to have total control before.

http://www.nbcuni.com/About_NBC_Univ...sol_dick.shtml

Next weekend, Dick is probably sitting in his office with a wall of monitors from Wimbledon.... going: compared to ESPN and BBC, "this socks". Can we say this is "An Alan Smithee Production" in TV land? Next year I'm going to ask for more money.
post #28 of 251 Old 06-24-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post

Next weekend, Dick is probably sitting in his office with a wall of monitors from Wimbledon.... going: compared to ESPN and BBC, "this socks". Can we say this is "An Alan Smithee Production" in TV land? Next year I'm going to ask for more money.

Its just pathetic that NBC Sports can't offer the same 16x9 SD for the French Open and most likely Wimbledon that ESPN and ESPN2 are offering.

Props to ESPN for making strides and listening to their customers after the outcry from the Australian Open 16x9 debacle and Shame on NBC Sports for their 4x3 center cut crap.

I prolly would have watched just because it was in WS, but now I will refuse, even if Roddick makes the finals.

post #29 of 251 Old 06-24-2007, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 60
At GE (who owns NBC) it's all about making money. If it won't make them more money why show it in HD or even 16:9 SD. I can remember when I worked at GE Capital (now called GE Money) we had a freeze on buying office supplies so we could make sure we hit our profit number of $1 billion (yes with with a "B"). I always said it was a great company to own stock in but a bad company to work for.
post #30 of 251 Old 06-24-2007, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

At GE (who owns NBC) it's all about making money. If it won't make them more money why show it in HD or even 16:9 SD. I can remember when I worked at GE Capital (now called GE Money) we had a freeze on buying office supplies so we could make sure we hit our profit number of $1 billion (yes with with a "B"). I always said it was a great company to own stock in but a bad company to work for.

But it seems that if you offer a better product, you'd get more viewers and be able to charge more for your TV Ads. You have to spend money to make money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page