Need more soccer in HD: any rumors on GolTV? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 304 Old 05-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any new rumors or solid information? I need me some European Soccer in HD...My contract with Dishnetwork ends in 3 weeks, but I probably won't be switching until July, just incase new information comes out between now and then..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 304 Old 05-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Dish Network just removed the only channel with European Soccer in HD - "WorldSportHD" (which now seems likely to be dead by July 1st).

Of course, ESPN2-HD and ABC-HD will have "Euro2008" in HD during June, and the various NBC Universal channels will have Olympics Soccer in August - possibly in HD.

Setanta and GolTV have no plans for HD. FSC has plans for HD, but won't divulge any details whatsoever about what and when.

ESPN2-HD and HDNet continue to each show an MLS game every week in HD.

ESPN2-HD showed the Champions League Final in HD (but only that one match).

PS Dish Network apparently updated their satellite tables to indicate 20 new National HD channels to be unplinked in the near future (using the space vacated by Voom and from moving some local channels to spot beams).
post #93 of 304 Old 05-25-2008, 04:14 PM

I'm going to miss terribly the Spanish Soccer League through World Sports. It was great to watch every game in HD.. I just hope that Voom is not totally dead, and Dish will bring them back. Meanwhile, I e-mailed Gol Tv about HD, but got no response. I wish you guys, e-mail them also, so to make them address the issue. At least, the Champions league final was a fantastic game, and HD made it much better.
post #94 of 304 Old 05-26-2008, 03:10 PM

I remember some PR from Gol TV is going HD something in 2009
post #95 of 304 Old 09-11-2008, 02:15 PM

Part of my hesitation to switch to Dish now is precisely for these reasons, loss of WorldSport in HD as well as GolTV from the lineup.

Does DirecTV carry WorldSport in HD?

And it sure would be nice to get GolTV or FSC in HD as well...I mean, come on...I feel like I'm watching a grainy internet stream

Physical media is on the way out
post #96 of 304 Old 09-11-2008, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBarca View Post

Does DirecTV carry WorldSport in HD?

No, the only carrier at this time is Cablevision, in the NY, NJ, CN, areas.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #97 of 304 Old 10-08-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
FYI:

Soccer-Centric Setanta Nets First Cable Deal With Cox

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...?desc=topstory

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #98 of 304 Old 10-08-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Setanta Sports:

Quote:

Naturally only 2-5% of our programming is even available in HD and our channel is SD so HD is a ways off.

http://www.epltalk.com/why-isnt-seta...en-format/3224

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #99 of 304 Old 10-08-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Well, it's not exactly cable, but FIOS has had Setanta for a couple of months now (SD).
post #100 of 304 Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 AM

With the change to HD in February 2009, will that mean that GolTV will go HD then?

Physical media is on the way out
post #101 of 304 Old 10-23-2008, 11:05 AM

No the Feb 2009 date is only for OTA broadcasters, even then they don't have to go HD, they only need to broadcast digitally.

I really wish that there was an HD soccer channel available though, would be nice to watch matches this way!
post #102 of 304 Old 10-23-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieko View Post

No the Feb 2009 date is only for OTA broadcasters, even then they don't have to go HD, they only need to broadcast digitally.

I really wish that there was an HD soccer channel available though, would be nice to watch matches this way!

Did anyone catch the FSC broadcast of Australia's WC2010 qualifying a week ago? I recall the announcer mentioning the broadcast was in HD over Fox Sports Net HD!!! Of course FSC's broadcast was in SD.

Looked around but couldn't find any provider carrying this channel (FSN-HD). Anyone with more/updated info?
post #103 of 304 Old 10-23-2008, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

FSN-HD would be the general term for your local Regional Sports Network. It is not a single channel.

My love is bigger than your love. Sing it!
post #104 of 304 Old 10-27-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hormoz View Post

Did anyone catch the FSC broadcast of Australia's WC2010 qualifying a week ago? I recall the announcer mentioning the broadcast was in HD over Fox Sports Net HD!!! Of course FSC's broadcast was in SD.

Looked around but couldn't find any provider carrying this channel (FSN-HD). Anyone with more/updated info?

The message you heard was for Fox Sports Net in Australia, not the regional FSN's in the USA Aren't all these networks owned or connected to Rupert Murdoch and he is Aussie, one of the reasons the A-League (Australian Soccer League) is shown on Fox Soccer Channel.

I wish Murdoch would go one better and start a Fox Soccer Channel HD network, since he also owns (Sky) Sports in the U.K. which does a lot of the Premier League games in High Def, those feeds could then be shown in the U.S. on the Fox Soccer Channel broadcasts with little issue about contractual issues since one guy owns them all.

The Premier League games we see in the U.S. on Fox Soccer Channel are usually the games covered by Sky Sports U.K. You can even tell the difference between the games that are High Def on Sky and the one's that aren't. The High Def games shown on Sky Sports HD in the U.K. but on FSC in Standard definition, usually have a sharper score bar and picture on the FSC broadcast, the non HD Sky games looks worse in SD on FSC for us.

FSC could go HD, not like Murdoch is going broke, dude's a multibillionaire. A puzzle as to why they haven't, other than they don't see a need to now.

CV needs to add H2 HD
post #105 of 304 Old 01-13-2009, 04:10 PM

so, who has a 40" LCD (or bigger) that actually gets watchable PQ from GolTV or Setanta? I just got an inexpensive 42" plasma- FSC and GolTV (from digital cable source) look like poo. If I can't do better with satelite and a higher end HDTV I'll have to return to watching my old 27" CRT and Setanta broadband in TinyVision™

I'm hoping a better quality HDTV with a processor that upconverts SD signal well might help some

Any recomendations?
post #106 of 304 Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Tinyvision

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #107 of 304 Old 01-14-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcityoc1 View Post

so, who has a 40" LCD (or bigger) that actually gets watchable PQ from GolTV or Setanta? I just got an inexpensive 42" plasma- FSC and GolTV (from digital cable source) look like poo. If I can't do better with satelite and a higher end HDTV I'll have to return to watching my old 27" CRT and Setanta broadband in TinyVision

I'm hoping a better quality HDTV with a processor that upconverts SD signal well might help some

Any recomendations?

It's not the HDTV. It's the bit rate for the incoming signal from your provider. I had DirecTV for years and watched GolTV, FSC and subscribed to Setanta; all of them were a bit blurry, the worst being GolTV, and the best Setanta. I switched to FIOS and the SD signal for all got better, but the rankings (worst to best) still remains GolTV, FSC and Setanta. Under DirecTV, little things like the player's faces were completely unwatchable.

It also depends on the source. If I was watching the Premier League, the broadcasts range from ok to good, the spanish league can be very good, but South American, African or Caribbean games are a mess.

The best broadcasts are obviously the main sports channels in HD. ESPN-HD, ESPN2-HD carry a lot of programming, from the European Champions league, the Euro competition and a good amount of College and pro Soccer. The best for Soccer in HD IMHO is HDNet; their broadcasts of MLS games every Saturday are amazing. I will watch these even when the Revolution is not playing, just to see the field and plays develop.

I would love to see all of the soccer channels in HD, so long as they deliver what HDNet does.
post #108 of 304 Old 01-14-2009, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched a bit of the Wellington vs Sydney match yesterday on Fox Soccer in SD, and found it unwatchable. I have FiOS, but anytime I try to watch soccer on Fox, I quickly need to turn to another channel to save my eyes. Blurry is not strong enough a term...out of focus would describe it better!
post #109 of 304 Old 01-14-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Whenever I see the Setanta free previews on D*, I reassure myself that I will never pay for the channel. To me on both my DLP and LCD (42" each) the SD feed is worse than watching an Internet feed on my laptop. very fuzzy, out of focus, choppy/blocky. FSC isn't perfect, but I watch it the most. I need to watch more GolTV and FSE. When I do watch FSE, it is on par with FSC.

I don't watch enough GolTV to make a judgement there.

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #110 of 304 Old 01-14-2009, 10:50 AM

ESPN Planning Bid For EPL Rights
Bloomberg News
ESPN is planning to bid for some of the rights to broadcast English Premier League games live, writes Simon Thiel. The league sent out invitations last month to tender for the rights for the three seasons from mid-2010 to 2013.

He quoted one unidentified source as saying the broadcaster is considering bids for one or two of the six packages on offer for UK broadcasts, challenging current holders Sky and Setanta. Sky holds four of the current packages and Setanta two. Bids are due by Feb. 4.

"A potential bid by ESPN is in particular dangerous for Setanta," said Omar Sheik, a media analyst at Dresdner Kleinwort in London. "Setanta's soccer offering would become less attractive for viewers if they lose even one of their two packages."
post #111 of 304 Old 01-14-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

ESPN 3 here we come!!!

Can all the kiddies say Woot!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #112 of 304 Old 01-14-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope they add HD games in this.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #113 of 304 Old 01-14-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

I hope they add HD games in this.

If and it is a HUGE IF, ESPN were to bid the games and make ESPN Classic into ESPN3, I would be shocked if there wasn't an HD version at day one

post #114 of 304 Old 01-14-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 View Post

If and it is a HUGE IF, ESPN were to bid the games and make ESPN Classic into ESPN3, I would be shocked if there wasn't an HD version at day one

And I would hope they keep the current announcers of EPL games. Dave O'Brien could try for years and still only be good enough to bring water to the other announcers.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #115 of 304 Old 01-14-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

And I would hope they keep the current announcers of EPL games. Dave O'Brien could try for years and still only be good enough to bring water to the other announcers.

I don't even know if he is worth that. Perhaps he could lay on the floor and be a door mat or he could kneel and be a chair/footrest?

post #116 of 304 Old 01-14-2009, 02:57 PM

From reading articles about this, it sounds like ESPN is looking for broadcast rights in the UK and not anywhere else?
post #117 of 304 Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 View Post

Turn ESPN Classic into ESPN3? Is that some sort of sick joke. ESPN already violated the Classic Sports Network when they bought it and now you want it dumped for ESPN3? Blasphemy.
post #118 of 304 Old 01-14-2009, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
They're going to dump it for something. It's just a matter of when and for what.

In the age of NFL Network, MLB Network, NHL Network, NBA TV, and Speed, there's no more room for an all purpose classic sports channel. The leagues need/want that content for their own networks.

post #119 of 304 Old 01-15-2009, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

Turn ESPN Classic into ESPN3? Is that some sort of sick joke. ESPN already violated the Classic Sports Network when they bought it and now you want it dumped for ESPN3? Blasphemy.

That was the rumor that was but out by ESPNSoccernet writer Ives Galacrep awhile back. ESPN Classic is a joke, it needs to be put out of its misery. Either merge with the NFL Network and make a real channel or make it into ESPN 3 with a focus on World sports (mostly real football, mix in some rugby and cricket for good measure).

post #120 of 304 Old 01-15-2009, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieko View Post

From reading articles about this, it sounds like ESPN is looking for broadcast rights in the UK and not anywhere else?

No, that wouldn't make sense. A significant chunk of the money being made by Setanta and Sky is made from non-UK markets, in particular Asia and the Americas. I believe Sky feeds Fox Soccer Channel and Gol TV with SD content, so if ESPN takes Setanta's packages, it would broadcast about 1/4 of English Premier League games, but would not limit itself to the UK. Setanta, Fox Soccer and Gol have been playing coy about HD broadcasts, even though that is done in the UK, so it would be great to have HD EPL games in the US.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page