Univision, Telemundo, & Galavision HD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-24-2007, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has there been any announcements about Univision launching HD channels for any of their networks?

Their sites are all in Spanish and I am not bilingual so I kinda get lost searching.

According to the Wikipedia (not always the best source, i know) article on Mexican HD roll outs, TV Azetca planned on doing the Mexican Football (Soccer) Tournament in HD and Televisa did early HD tests with NHK in the early '90's. Televisa is listed as a miniority owner in Univision.

Wikipedia has a listing of a few Digital broadcast stations in Mexico, but I seem to remember great unrest on this forum about no World Cup coverage in HD on Spanish speaking stations.

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-24-2007, 02:44 PM

Liked: 10
Univision buys from Televisa and Televisa's telenovelas are in HD but not in the US.

TV Azteca's telenovelas are also in HD and some soccer games but Azteca America shows them in SD.

Galavision shows programming from Televisa and Venevision but mostly reruns.

Telemundo's Zorro is in HD but airs in SD in the US but all the prime time programming include English Subtitles in CC3 (Closed Captions).
post #3 of 8 Old 06-25-2007, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'd think those nets are more likely to multicast a couple of extra SDTV channels....maybe a full-time telenovella channel, spanish music videos, a full-time sports (soccer and such), and a news channel.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #4 of 8 Old 06-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
As I mentioned in another thread, the demographic consists of people with very little disposable income for luxury items such as HD TVs.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-25-2007, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Univision will go HD for the 2010 World Cup. before then, who knows?
post #6 of 8 Old 06-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Televisa's telenovelas are in HD

I Live next to Juarez, Mexico so I get Televisa's Canal 2 HD Channel, & none of their shows are in HD, Just Stretch O Vision. They show about 2 or 3 shows in LetterBox. I think either they haven't bought the switch, Or it's broken.

Quote:

TV Azteca's telenovelas are also in HD and some soccer games

Actually they Only show 2 Telenovelas in HD, and the rest they crop. They've shown only a couple of Football Games in HD and the rest are cropped and look terrible. They show the morning show and a gossip Show in HD, and the rest of the shows are cropped.

They Also have another channel that shows HD 24/7. They show movies, documentaries, Planet Earth, Bikini Destinations , and other shows in HD.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-26-2007, 02:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by cube799 View Post

I Live next to Juarez, Mexico so I get Televisa's Canal 2 HD Channel, & none of their shows are in HD, Just Stretch O Vision. They show about 2 or 3 shows in LetterBox. I think either they haven't bought the switch, Or it's broken.

Or it's officially in the books as HD but the Televisa owners pocketed the money and bought the government officials so they're covered if there's an investigation. Economia Mejicana, verdad?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It figures, sometime after I wrote this they had to start showing HD. I went to Televisa's website, and wrote them an E-mail, and today they showed, Muchachitas como Tu in HD. I really don't watch the Novela, but I might start watching it if they keep showing it in HD, I started watching parts of Se Busca un Hombre,on TV Azteca, once I saw that it was in HD. I just know that If Televisa doesn't show Pasion in HD I'm going to be very .

I think Telemundo will be in HD for the 2008 Olympics. I really don't remember, but I think they showed part of the Olympics since they're owned by NBC, but I could be wrong. I also think that Univision will go HD for the 2010 World Cup.

The Spanish stations are probably going to have a lot of ticked off people on February 18, 2009. I know that every time I tell my Dad that his TV is going to stop working in 2009 doesn't believe me and just laughs.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page