Star Trek Enterprise on HDNet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 140 Old 07-01-2007, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had a season pass for Enterprise on HDNet since they started with the first episode. For a while, it recorded one episode a week, in the order in which they originally aired. Lately, several episodes per week have been recording in no particular order. WTH happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 140 Old 07-01-2007, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
They are re-running Season 1 during the day Mon-Sat at 1pm Edt...
post #3 of 140 Old 07-01-2007, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Don't complain too loudly, at least you get Enterprise in HD.
Sadly, Cablevision doesn't carry HDNet- so I'll have to wait till Sci-Fi goes HD (I fully expect hell to freeze over first ).
I'd love to get Enterprise season 3 & 4 in HD!

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #4 of 140 Old 07-01-2007, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Sadly, Cablevision doesn't carry HDNet- so I'll have to wait till Sci-Fi goes HD (I fully expect hell to freeze over first ).

Except...I was under the impression that Sci-Fi only has the rights for "Enterpise" in SD, since HDNet is paying for the HD rights.

Once Sci-Fi goes HD, I wonder how they will work that out?
post #5 of 140 Old 07-01-2007, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond View Post

Except...I was under the impression that Sci-Fi only has the rights for "Enterpise" in SD, since HDNet is paying for the HD rights.

Once Sci-Fi goes HD, I wonder how they will work that out?

Stretched or pillar'd?

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #6 of 140 Old 07-01-2007, 11:19 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 View Post

Stretched or pillar'd?

Dude. This is Captain Archer, not Captain Kirk. No stretch. No pillars.

post #7 of 140 Old 07-02-2007, 04:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I was never a fan of Enterprise when it ran on UPN, and only saw 3 episodes then. But I have been fatefully watching Enterprise every week on HDNet. Haven't even watched in on SciFi. Even the wife, who ISN'T a Star Trek fan at all, has gotten into Enterprise. She says she likes the whole starting out concept better than the rest of the series. I think if Enterprise was coming out now, after a several year break between ST:VOY and Enterprise, it would have a bigger audience. That is certainly true for me. I think I was unconsciencely burned out in 2001 and didn't know it. Another new Trek at the time was not what I was looking for in my TV viewing. Enterprise has filled that niche nicely now with new to me episodes of Trek and to have it on HDNet in HD is even better. It has gotten me back into the Trek universe again.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #8 of 140 Old 07-02-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

I was never a fan of Enterprise when it ran on UPN, and only saw 3 episodes then. But I have been fatefully watching Enterprise every week on HDNet. Haven't even watched in on SciFi. Even the wife, who ISN'T a Star Trek fan at all, has gotten into Enterprise. She says she likes the whole starting out concept better than the rest of the series. I think if Enterprise was coming out now, after a several year break between ST:VOY and Enterprise, it would have a bigger audience. That is certainly true for me. I think I was unconsciencely burned out in 2001 and didn't know it. Another new Trek at the time was not what I was looking for in my TV viewing. Enterprise has filled that niche nicely now with new to me episodes of Trek and to have it on HDNet in HD is even better. It has gotten me back into the Trek universe again.

Yeah, and what is a shame is that seasons 3 and 4 were really good, except for the awful series finale at the end of 4. I liked them much better than most all of Voyager, etc. The cast of Enterprise is certainly young enough that the show could be resurrected...but I wonder if it ever would be. That ship has probably sailed...
post #9 of 140 Old 07-02-2007, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966 View Post

I've had a season pass for Enterprise on HDNet since they started with the first episode. For a while, it recorded one episode a week, in the order in which they originally aired. Lately, several episodes per week have been recording in no particular order. WTH happened?

I have my cable DVR set up to record repeats since the cable guide designates them all as repeats. Like you, I was getting a new episode a week. Now it seems HDNet is showing repeats of its repeats. I'm getting shows that I've already seen in addition to the ones that I haven't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

I never watched a complete episode before they aired on HDNet. Since airing on HDNet I've watched every episode. Watching the show I can see some of the places that it failed. Regardless of the shows shortcomings, I think you might be right. It might have been a little more successful if it aired a few years later. I'm not sure people were ready to invest another 7-8 years in another Star Trek series. I know I wasn't, but I'm enjoying the show now. I've got a feeling I'll miss it when it's over.

Jeff

Gamertag - Ktulu1

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero
post #10 of 140 Old 07-02-2007, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I think the biggest shortcoming for the show was the acting (especially Malcolm).
post #11 of 140 Old 10-16-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

HDNet started airing the "new" (latest repeated) season a few weeks ago. It seems the show has upped the action a little, which is good, but the changes they made to the theme song is/was a terrible mistake.

Jeff

Gamertag - Ktulu1

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero
post #12 of 140 Old 10-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

I've been DVR'ing the season of Enterprise on HDNet Monday at 9:00. I like the show.. and T'pol is H O T !!!
post #13 of 140 Old 10-16-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966 View Post

I think the biggest shortcoming for the show was the acting (especially Malcolm).

Actually I think its biggest shortcoming was that it was on UPN. The absolute garbage that Enterprise had to "anchor" was an insult to the show.

I like others did not watch much of it when it originally aired...but now that Ive had a chance to watch it..in order..w/o commercials...its actually a pretty good show that should have had more time to develop.
post #14 of 140 Old 10-16-2007, 08:10 PM

The absolute biggest mistake, was it eventually ending up in the exact same time slot opposite Smallville that aired on what was then the WB. Smallville just slaughtered it. It had monster ratings at the time. Many people, myself included had to decide between the two. I am a bit of a trekkie but Superman has always come first for me.
It would seem I made a good decision cause three seasons after Enterprise was cancelled, Smallville is still airing new episodes and an eighth season is "a really safe bet" according to Al Gough the producer.
post #15 of 140 Old 10-17-2007, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post

Actually I think its biggest shortcoming was that it was on UPN. The absolute garbage that Enterprise had to "anchor" was an insult to the show. I like others did not watch much of it when it originally aired...but now that Ive had a chance to watch it..in order..w/o commercials...its actually a pretty good show that should have had more time to develop.

Agreed, and add to that the fact that UPN was not in every market back then, the show aired in the still somewhat new at that time letterbox format, and IIRC it was always being preempted for some reason or another. Enterprise also aired concurrently with the last season of Voyager which had firmly established the "look and feel" of a Trek franchise over seven seasons- which was very different as compared to the "look and feel" of Enterprise. If Enterprise was on one of the major networks (not FOX- they would have canned it after 4 episodes ) it may have lasted a few season longer.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #16 of 140 Old 02-06-2008, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Rather than start a new thread on the matter, allow me to resurrect this topic.

Does HD NET skip episodes? I have been watching it everyday with the Fiancee and they seem to skip some episodes. Episodes like the Crewman Daniels episode for one. Anyoen know what is going on with this?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #17 of 140 Old 02-06-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Monday night 9pm ET and 12 midnight reair is in story order. The rest are out of order if you are trying to follow along.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #18 of 140 Old 02-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

I DVR the Tuesday 3:00 am episodes. They are they same episodes which air on Monday 9pm and midnight... which are aired in order. As foxeng said.

If you look at next weeks schedule (click the link below), you'll see the Monday 9pm et has a "premiere" next to the title. These are the episode which are airing in order (now in season 3).

http://www.hd.net/program_search_res...arch=both&ws=1
post #19 of 140 Old 02-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

The Monday night 9pm ET and 12 midnight reair is in story order

Yes, this is the time slot that has been ongoing since Enterprise premiered on HDNet. My Season Pass used to only pick this time slot up as a first run episode and didn't record the other showings. Something went nuts several months ago and that ceased to work. So now, I have set a manual season pass for the 9 PM Monday time slot.

This time slot is airing episodes that are wrapping up Season 3. "The Forgotten" airs this coming Monday night, February 11. Things are really starting to get good.

Peace,

DM
post #20 of 140 Old 02-07-2008, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

So why are they skipping episodes in the Afternoon showings? I would love to watch these episodes in HD, but I don't want to skip an entire season and just jump into the current season.

post #21 of 140 Old 02-07-2008, 06:10 PM

So why doesn't SCIFIHD show the series in HD? It's annoying when you see programs on an HD channel shown in SD when you've seen them in HD elsewhere.
post #22 of 140 Old 02-07-2008, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;10927725 View Post

i had 'enterprise' (which i really liked, a lot) on hdnet thru adelphia, then it changed to comcast, then in june '07 crapcast ditched hdnet/movies and pissed me off.

now, no hdnet enterprise or anything else from hdnet.

so i ditched comcast hd service 10-'07.
post #23 of 140 Old 02-07-2008, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post

So why doesn't SCIFIHD show the series in HD? It's annoying when you see programs on an HD channel shown in SD when you've seen them in HD elsewhere.

I remember reading somewhere that HD Net has exclusive rights to the HD broadcasts, or maybe I'm confusing it with BSG and Universal HD.

Either way, yes, it's annoying, and doubly so when Sci Fi invariably screws up the telecine conversion to 1080i causing choppy motion and combing artifacts.

Just don't watch it on Sci Fi.
post #24 of 140 Old 02-08-2008, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

So is there anywhere to see them in HD in order from the beginning?

post #25 of 140 Old 02-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

I have been watching Enterprise since it premiered on HDNET (was that last year or the year before?). Never watched it on UPN.

I'll be honest. None of the sequel Treks ever matched the original series for me. Next Generation drove me nuts because no one could ever make a freakin' decision. Deep Space Nine was maddening since they couldn't go anywhere. Voyager at least had a captain with balls , but just seemed to get bogged down in its story line.

Enterprise is closest to the original. Scott Bakula is not very good. But I think the acting of some of the others, particularly T'Pol and the Doctor carry the show at times. Some of the episodes are actually pretty good with original themes and plot lines.

Anyways, just got the Original series on HD-DVD. I watched the first episode last night "The Man Trap." Not one of my favorites, but I have to say better than most of the Enterprise episodes I have watched.
post #26 of 140 Old 02-08-2008, 07:48 PM

Never saw Enterprise much on UPN since it was on one of those god-awful analogue channel of TWC at the time.
Even now, without SciFiHD from TWC, the show is a horrific to watch in analogue (like watching thru a dirty window).
Now in HD, the space shots and special effects take on a life all of their own and even the audio seems much better, too, though not the best I have heard: Even my Star Trek SD DVD movies still sound a lot better, IMO.
Second my opinion - these parallel ralphjb...Scott Bakula just sucks as the captain and he was a poor choice for the series, IMO, but the other characters/actors did pull it through rather well.
I identified with the other actors' characters and enjoyed the plot lines to make it enjoyable...thanks HDNET for having it!
post #27 of 140 Old 02-08-2008, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I really enjoyed enterprise. The downsides for me were over use of timetravel and introducing spicies that don't show up till later shows.

The final season was really getting good. Then they had to go and cancel it. And not allow any other networks the rights. Sci-fi would have been a great home for new episodes.
post #28 of 140 Old 02-09-2008, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Biggest problem with ST:VOJ and Enterprise was Berman and Company got too far away from the Roddenberry vision and got too close to Star Wars. At the end of the 4th season they realized it and it was too late. I am not confident JJ Abrams will be any closer to that vision with ST:IX. Jolene Blalock was right. Season 3 just outright sucked.

Even if UPN hadn't canceled it after season 4, Enterprise would have never made 7 seasons anyway since UPN and WB became The CW in what would have been Enterprises' 6th season and I don't see Enterprise surviving to live on The CW based one what it has done in the last two seasons.

post #29 of 140 Old 02-09-2008, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Bakula was miscast and wooden. The storylines, especially in season 3 involved time travel way too much. Scott got confused and thought he was back on "Quantum Leap"
post #30 of 140 Old 02-09-2008, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Scott Bakula was a bad casting choice. His delivery was really wooden. And I agree with using Time Travel Waaaay Too Much.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page