post #1321 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

1966? It's a lot of money NOW! What's the income level of this forum? Dogfood, is your real name "Mitt"?

Newt.

$400 in today's money wouldn't be anywhere near worth it, to me, to stay at work on a Friday night and then work through the weekend, all because my boss made a colossal screwup that he's trying to cover up.

However, $400 1966 dollars is roughly equivalent to $2800, 2012 dollars. I might stick around for that.

My point was that having that much money in my purse (or manbag) and leaving it not close to my person when I retired- though it was made clear that by the time she retired it was too late to grab the purse without hurting the secretary's feelings- would have been a difficult thing to believe. I guess we write that off to everyone being intoxicated.

And I still think there was some unresolved sexual tension floating around too. Both participants were pretty cute.

CW Hinkle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

My point was that having that much money in my purse (or manbag) and leaving it not close to my person when I retired- though it was made clear that by the time she retired it was too late to grab the purse without hurting the secretary's feelings- would have been a difficult thing to believe. I guess we write that off to everyone being intoxicated.

And I still think there was some unresolved sexual tension floating around too. Both participants were pretty cute.

I somehow totally missed the part where Peggy was worried about leaving the money laying about. But I did pick up on a little bit of sexual tension, hehe.
post #1323 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Where did Megan hide the body?
post #1324 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruven42 View Post

Are people really questioning whether or not Don was dreaming?

Apparently. I thought maybe I'd been abducted by aliens and inserted into some weird parallel universe so they could study my reactions.

And in comes Romeo, he's moaning
You Belong to Me I Believe
And someone says, You're in the wrong place my friend
You better leave
And the only sound that's left
After the ambulances go
Is Cinderella sweeping up
On Desolation Row

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #1325 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 85
The main question is.. did the girl visit Don at all? was all a dream? or just the second part?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1326 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

The main question is.. did the girl visit Don at all? was all a dream? or just the second part?

I'm of the idea that the only time he really saw the lady was in the elevator. All the stuff in the apartment had to be part of Don's fever dream.
post #1327 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
I'm of the idea that the only time he really saw the lady was in the elevator. All the stuff in the apartment had to be part of Don's fever dream.
Bing! I agree.

But you have to admit it would be wild and unexpected for Don to have really killed the old girlfriend, and Megan turns out to be a nut job who did dispose of the body by some nefarious means. Maybe like a garbage disposal. Or in the East River. Yeah, East River, that's it.

And then after a decent interval (in TV time), and everyone forgets about it, bang, she springs it on him. And us.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1328 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It was all real. I'm guessing Betty snuck into Don's apartment and ate the body.
post #1329 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Bing!

Isn't that "bingO"?

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #1330 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 452
When Don was shown choking out Andrea and then stuffing her under the bed, I feared that this wonderful series had prematurely jumped the shark. I was pleased and relieved that the writers handled the situation as they did. That made it a lot of fun but avoided parody, although we still don't know for sure whether Don really killed the girl or was suffering from a fever induced dream. Time will no doubt tell.

Like most of the rest of you, I was delighted to see Joan dump her pompous loser of a husband. I was getting as tired of the guy as Joan.

I may have to rewatch the scenes between Peggy and Don's secretary in Peggy's apartment. As it stands, I don't really understand the significance of what went on. Whatever it means, I love Peggy. She is the most nearly sane employee at Sterling Cooper, faint praise though that may be.

This was another terrific episode. The season is off to a great start.
post #1331 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpowers View Post

it was all real. I'm guessing betty snuck into don's apartment and ate the body.

+1
post #1332 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOPA View Post

It would be interesting to hear from more women on this site.

I'm here to help

Quote:
I think today women are more open with one another and have more of a support system than they did back then.

I think it depends what kind of friends you have -- I do think it's still easy for women to be competitive and not supportive of each other when they aren't truly friends, but acquaintances forced together by social circumstances (soccer or classroom moms). Those aren't the kind of friends I'd confide in, or tell about a difficult medical condition, but I do have a separate circles of social friends, some of whom I've known since college, that I would and do tell just about everything.

I do think that there is, these days, more pressure for women, especially single women like me, to be self-sufficient emotionally, and that can make asking for help difficult, even at times when we really need it. I really have no idea where this comes from.

Quote:
The Big "C" was kept a secret and women or probably men for that matter, didn't question their doctors to get more information. Not sure how many do now...

I'm not a cancer patient, and IDK how different things are these days for men and women, but I certainly do question my doctors. If I didn't get the information that I needed, I'd find another doctor.

I'm a certified Betty Hater (mostly for how she treats Sally) but I did feel sorry for her in this episode. Having an undiagnosed medical condition really sucks.
post #1333 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I may have to rewatch the scenes between Peggy and Don's secretary in Peggy's apartment. As it stands, I don't really understand the significance of what went on.

1) Peggy was trying to be a decent human being to Dawn, which wasn't always common at the time between people of different races.

2) As noted by others, there was definitely a sexual tension in the air between between Peggy and Dawn (and we know Peggy's had Katy Perry moments - I kissed a girl and I liked it - in past episodes). I had the feeling Peggy would have made a pass at Dawn, except for the fact she didn't want Dawn to think that was the reason for her inviting Dawn to stay with her.

3) Peggy had a crises of conscience when it was time to go to bed, regarding her purse. There was a lot of cash in it and she didn't really know Dawn that well, although she felt comfortable enough to invite Dawn into her home. By the time it occurred to her, she was intoxicated, standing there staring at the purse and saw Dawn looking at her. Peggy thought Dawn was thinking 'Oh, Peggy doesn't trust me because I'm black'. Peggy then was compelled by her conscience to leave the purse on the coffee table specifically because she didn't want Dawn to think taking it was racially motivated. I'm thinking if it was Peggy's mother sitting there instead of Dawn, Peggy would have taken the purse with a second thought.

Again, her motive was to simply treat Dawn as she would any other female at SCDP in similar circumstances, being alone at night in the office. But as in much of life, things are complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Whatever it means, I love Peggy. She is the most nearly sane employee at Sterling Cooper, faint praise though that may be.

Whatever it means, I love most all the lead women on Mad Men with lust in my heart, Betty being a notable exception. I also simply like them as people better than the men.

Whew.

post #1334 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

Isn't that "bingO"?

Nope. Bing, as in the sound.

post #1335 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

I'm not, but just to be contrary, what if the murder was real and what happened afterwards is the dream?

Anyone remember the good old days when certain TV shows had really bizarre series finales? e.g., St. Elsewhere, Newhart (the series that took place at a country inn) Alf, Roseanne. Maybe Matthew Weiner has something equally weird up his sleeve.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #1336 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

I'm not, but just to be contrary, what if the murder was real and what happened afterwards is the dream?

Anyone remember the good old days when certain TV shows had really bizarre series finales? e.g., St. Elsewhere, Newhart (the series that took place at a country inn) Alf, Roseanne. Maybe Matthew Weiner has something equally weird up his sleeve.

I thought then and still think that the St. Elsewhere finale was the best ever. You had to be a devoted fan of the show to fully appreciate it, but it still brings a smile of appreciation.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #1337 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 02:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I was thinking it was a dream and the fact that Don killed that mistress was him subconsciously "killing" his past life of banging anything that would throw themselves at him. When he woke up and there was no sign of that mistress in his room, he knew that the old life of him cheating was over.
post #1338 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

I thought then and still think that the St. Elsewhere finale was the best ever. You had to be a devoted fan of the show to fully appreciate it, but it still brings a smile of appreciation.

St. Elsewhere has to rank as one of my top five favorite TV series ever. The finale was excellent as well as thought provoking.
post #1339 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I liked the Elsewhere ending too but Newhart has to be a close second. I think the whole sequence with Don and his ex mistress was a dream. After the awkwardness of the elevator would she really show up just like that at his new digs, not knowing for sure who was going to be there? As for him strangling her, I think it's way too early to say it's his way of killing off his cheating side.
post #1340 of 2493 Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

I liked the Elsewhere ending too but Newhart has to be a close second.

A very strong runner-up for sure. A great shout-out to his fans, and those of us who always kind of liked the first one more But wonderfully creative, surprising and just a little twisted no matter.

But that group shuffle to the tissue box on MTM's last episode still makes me laugh (although I can't remember anything else about it.)

post #1341 of 2493 Old 04-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

A very strong runner-up for sure. A great shout-out to his fans, and those of us who always kind of liked the first one more But wonderfully creative, surprising and just a little twisted no matter.

But that group shuffle to the tissue box on MTM's last episode still makes me laugh (although I can't remember anything else about it.)

Funny the only thing I remember is that everyone got fired but Ted
post #1342 of 2493 Old 04-11-2012, 01:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I vote second part.
The "first part", the girl showing up at Don's apartment and getting the bum's rush out the service elevator, struck me as real.
I could be wrong, of course. One can guess that both scenes are in Don's mind, inspired by the elevator encounter. Don seems to truly want to be faithful this time around (although I'll be surprised if he is), and the dream (or dreams) manifest the fear that he won't, that he'll slip into his old ways.
At first his "illness" was becoming irritating, but it did set up his feverish, seemingly realistic dream(s).

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #1343 of 2493 Old 04-11-2012, 02:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

Agreed. I would think that Peggy would have stashed the cash the minute she got home. I usually get paid in cash, and get nervous having any significant sum on my person. But Peggy was in an unusual situation, had too much to drink, and by the time she remembered the money in the purse, there was no way her alcohol-addled mind could cook up a reason to take her purse to the bedroom.

I had to note that Roger had $400+ ON HIM and thought nothing of it....despite the fact that he had been mugged!

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #1344 of 2493 Old 04-11-2012, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpowers View Post

It was all real. I'm guessing Betty snuck into Don's apartment and ate the body.

Funny!!

Part of me wants to think Megan "cleaned up" after Don, but there's no way see could realistically dispose of the body. Maybe if this was show that didn't strive to be "real" and pay a lot of attention to detail it could have happened.

It was just a dream and gave us more insight to Don's inner self.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #1345 of 2493 Old 04-11-2012, 07:35 AM

Liked: 11
I guess the answer to my question is still "yes".
post #1346 of 2493 Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

The problem I have with this dream or not dream sequence is either it really happened and the season will probably end with a "Who Shot Don Draper?" cliffhanger, or Don has mental problems that are so severe that a fever causes hallucinations of sex and murder that are so real to him that he can't tell them from reality.

Either way this is a step down from the factual narrative drama that show has been doing until now. I hear the Sopranos did many dream sequences that were full of symbolism that some people loved and some got very sick of so maybe that's where this show is headed.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #1347 of 2493 Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
You can count me among those that really dislike dream sequences in any show. Almost always, the dream sequences are just a symptom of lazy writing - they can't figure out how to convey something about a character, so "let's just have him dream about it".
post #1348 of 2493 Old 04-11-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I guess I'm forgetting something, but what was Joan alluding to about her husband not being a "good guy" before they were married?
post #1349 of 2493 Old 04-11-2012, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

I guess I'm forgetting something, but what was Joan alluding to about her husband not being a "good guy" before they were married?

You don't remember that he basically raped her?

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #1350 of 2493 Old 04-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As a point of reference, $400 in 1966 would be like having about $2,811 today.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Mad Men Season Five Blu Ray , Mad Men Season Four Blu Ray , Mad Men Season 3 Blu Ray , Mad Men Season Two Blu Ray , Mad Men Season One Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Mad by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page