'Mad Men' on AMC HD - Page 54 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1591 of 2493 Old 05-09-2012, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I hate to seem like a simpleton, but was the elevator purely symbolic? I don't know why I am wondering this afterwards, but I kept wondering if Don told anyone about it. A quick 5 second shot of him telling Joan to call building maintenance would have been nice. I'd hate to think Don,although he's generally no prince, would be so hung up on his hurt that he would just dismiss the elevator incident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 2493 Old 05-10-2012, 01:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post

I hate to seem like a simpleton, but was the elevator purely symbolic?

I have to wonder if the empty shaft was real? There's no good reason for it to be an illusion, but the fact that Don did not report it makes me wonder....

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #1593 of 2493 Old 05-11-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

I have to wonder if the empty shaft was real? There's no good reason for it to be an illusion, but the fact that Don did not report it makes me wonder....

It really felt like clumsy symbolism to me. Don had no reason to take another elevator right after Megan took one. It's unimaginable that even self-centered Don would be so reckless not to have reported this danger before it killed someone. It's unimaginable that he would have just calmly walked back to his office, poured himself a cocktail and not mention it when Roger came in.

But when you mistakenly think you killed an ex-lover and stuffed her body under your bed, maybe you see things like deadly elevator shafts all the time. Back when I took this show more seriously, I would have figured Don is experiencing a mental breakdown.

Weiner said he wrote the episode after he got permission to use "Tomorrow Never Knows" so I think he shoehorned that strange scene into the episode from the "void" lyric.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #1594 of 2493 Old 05-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

....Back when I took this show more seriously, I would have figured Don is experiencing a mental breakdown.

Maybe that's it. Maybe Don is gradually losing it. Or, after the murder dream, he is assuming that not everything he sees is real.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #1595 of 2493 Old 05-12-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
This Grantland piece takes a clever and thoughtful look at the Mad Men universe as it stands now. Highly recommended!
post #1596 of 2493 Old 05-12-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Grantland has a ton of good (and hilarious) recaps and other articles for Mad Men, Game of Thrones, and NBC's Thursday night lineup.
post #1597 of 2493 Old 05-12-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

This Grantland piece takes a clever and thoughtful look at the Mad Men universe as it stands now. Highly recommended!

+1, great read.
post #1598 of 2493 Old 05-12-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Grantland has a ton of good (and hilarious) recaps and other articles for Mad Men, Game of Thrones, and NBC's Thursday night lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

+1, great read.

Thanks guys. My college student grandson got me onto Grantland. At that time I thought it was purely a sports site and didn't learn about how many neat popular culture features it had until later. I now check Grantland virtually every day because I never know what I'm going to find there. It's the only site I know of that appeals to me, both as a sports nerd and a TV nerd.
post #1599 of 2493 Old 05-13-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

My only real nit with this is Laika the cosmodog is NOT still in space. Sputnik 2 reentered the atmosphere April 14, 1958. There was no re-entry system on the spacecraft so it burned up. Laika died on day 4 (some reports say she died a few hours after launch.) of a planned 7 day flight after the space did not disengage from the Block A booster and damage to the insulation of the cabin. The original plan was to have Laika eat poisoned dog food on day 7 before the oxygen ran out.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #1600 of 2493 Old 05-13-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Don's still got it...barely.

Betty shows just how petty she can be...trying to poision Sally and Megan.

Ginsberg is outrageous and very talented.

Pete is now reduced to living a fantasy life...good grief.

Roger is still getting the best out of life...by using everybody.
post #1601 of 2493 Old 05-14-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Nice fantasy, though.
post #1602 of 2493 Old 05-14-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34

That's funny- I find myself lying on the couch fantasizing about Alison Brie.

CW Hinkle
post #1603 of 2493 Old 05-14-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

Not Rory Gilmore?

For those keeping score, Megan also has a perfect body and is a perfect mother and the only reason she won't be a successful actress is because other people are jealous of her. I get the impression that we're supposed to really like everything about her.

post #1604 of 2493 Old 05-14-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood

Not Rory Gilmore?

Point being- if it's not apparent- why pursue her when you have Alison at home (though Alison's Mad Men character is rather bland).

CW Hinkle
post #1605 of 2493 Old 05-14-2012, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Not Rory Gilmore?

For those keeping score, Megan also has a perfect body and is a perfect mother and the only reason she won't be a successful actress is because other people are jealous of her. I get the impression that we're supposed to really like everything about her.

Megans body doesnt look quite as good without clothes on IMO
post #1606 of 2493 Old 05-15-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 90
For a split second I think AMC will going to show some nudity at last, came close... she must had some tape there or something.. whew!

Man! I was enjoying the absence of Betty, but when she is on, is a bit too much of her..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1607 of 2493 Old 05-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Anybody catch them on the Actors Studio Monday night? It was a bit rushed. They should have made it two hours.
post #1608 of 2493 Old 05-15-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
anyone have a link to the show with the Beatles song? I read that the fee was a bargain compared to 1 mil. charged for use of the Beatles’ original recording of “Baby, You’re a Rich Man” in the closing credits of the Facebook movie “The Social Network.”

post #1609 of 2493 Old 05-15-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Betty shows just how petty she can be...trying to poision Sally and Megan.

I loved the way in which Don, Megan, and Sally managed to make common cause in order to thwart Betty's tawdry effort to sew discord in their family. I've said it before, and I'll no doubt have an opportunity to say again that Betty is a monster.
post #1610 of 2493 Old 05-15-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I've said it before, and I'll no doubt have an opportunity to say again that Betty is a monster.

That's a little strong. Now the grandmother ... that's a different story.
post #1611 of 2493 Old 05-15-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

That's a little strong. Now the grandmother ... that's a different story.

Betty's constant emotional abuse of Sally bothers me, a lot. Thus, her use of her daughter as a pawn in her attempt to hurt Don and Megan infuriated me. I have to give Sally, Megan, and Don credit, though. Their clever handling of Betty's meanspirited ploy ended up causing more emotional pain for Betty that it had for its intended victims. "Just deserts," and all that.
post #1612 of 2493 Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Betty storyline is getting a little interesting. She's no longer the model that turned men's heads and Italian men fought over. She's no longer the "house cat" who sat around gossiping with women in the neighborhood. She's at Weight Watchers meetings with "common" women who she might be able to relate to and get support from. She might even make some real friends. Remember, this is a woman who once told a 11 year old boy that she didn't have anyone to talk to.

One running theme in Mad Men is how none of the characters have any friends, just relatives, business associates, neighbors, spouses, and boyfriends/girlfriends.

post #1613 of 2493 Old 05-16-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

The Betty storyline is getting a little interesting. She's no longer the model that turned men's heads and Italian men fought over. She's no longer the "house cat" who sat around gossiping with women in the neighborhood. She's at Weight Watchers meetings with "common" women who she might be able to relate to and get support from. She might even make some real friends. Remember, this is a woman who once told a 11 year old boy that she didn't have anyone to talk to.

I don't find that interesting at all. Maybe the Lifetime audience would find that interesting. But for me, it's dull as hell. I don't care about a housewife who suddenly finds people who offer her support or might become friends. Unless some of those potential new friends are pot dealers, mob wives, Russian spies, axe murderers, witches, sexy compliant robots, or alien pod people. But that would be a different show, not Mad Men. So I would really just prefer that they dump Betty's character completely and focus on the people at the office. She's kind of just a useless appendage at this point.
post #1614 of 2493 Old 05-16-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

ISo I would really just prefer that they dump Betty's character completely and focus on the people at the office. She's kind of just a useless appendage at this point.

I couldn't agree more. I can't stand Betty's scenes or storyline. She has never appealed to me in the least, and I don't mean whether I like her character or not. She's never been interesting to watch.
post #1615 of 2493 Old 05-17-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

I couldn't agree more. I can't stand Betty's scenes or storyline. She has never appealed to me in the least, and I don't mean whether I like her character or not. She's never been interesting to watch.

I like her storyline because it captures exactly what a LOT of women went through at the time -- people like my own mom. (Being a stay at home mom at first, issues with her self-worth and turning to psychiatry, having her husband cheating on her, getting divorced when it was very much more a social taboo than it is today, etc.) My guess is that she will soon decide she want to get out and get a job -- which was also a big trend at the time.
post #1616 of 2493 Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I would say Betty serves a purpose in the show, and I agree with what blitzen102 says. I think part of the problem is with January Jones, who was pretty boring in the X-Men prequel. Her performances are improving, but she makes Betty more of a cypher than she has to be.

CW Hinkle
post #1617 of 2493 Old 05-17-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

I thought she was one of, if not the most, interesting character in Season 1, to be honest. Since then, she's fallen off dramatically for me.
post #1618 of 2493 Old 05-17-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I don't find that interesting at all. Maybe the Lifetime audience would find that interesting. But for me, it's dull as hell. I don't care about a housewife who suddenly finds people who offer her support or might become friends. Unless some of those potential new friends are pot dealers, mob wives, Russian spies, axe murderers, witches, sexy compliant robots, or alien pod people. But that would be a different show, not Mad Men.

I'm sorry that you find the Betty storyline so dull.

For millions of women in the 60's the changes that were happening in society and the workplace were even more dramatic for them than for men. Don Draper could go to his grave never having a second thought about his life choices, but women like Betty regularly wondered if being a homemaker had been a waste of talents they never knew they had. One of the most important themes of the show is the contrast between the choices Betty and Peggy have made in their lives. Without Betty, Mad Men would make you think that every woman at the time was embracing the new opportunities open to them.

Remember that when Don married Betty, she was making more money than he was and had a very successful career. She gave up her profession for him.

I'm not a fan of the Betty character because January Jones is a dull actress who doesn't appear to understand her character.

post #1619 of 2493 Old 05-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm sorry that you find the Betty storyline so dull.

For millions of women in the 60's the changes that were happening in society and the workplace were even more dramatic for them than for men. Don Draper could go to his grave never having a second thought about his life choices, but women like Betty regularly wondered if being a homemaker had been a waste of talents they never knew they had. One of the most important themes of the show is the contrast between the choices Betty and Peggy have made in their lives. Without Betty, Mad Men would make you think that every woman at the time was embracing the new opportunities open to them.

Remember that when Don married Betty, she was making more money than he was and had a very successful career. She gave up her profession for him.

I'm not a fan of the Betty character because January Jones is a dull actress who doesn't appear to understand her character.

I normally disagree with some of your posts but this is spot on.
Some people think the only purpose of this show is advertising and that is wrong wrong wrong. We have a number of characters from very different vantage points and how the 60s transform them. Some rising and some falling. Don is the wheel they rotate around but their contrasts make it interesting.

I also hate it when people say they want Don to go back to boozing/womanizing Don because he is boring otherwise. It may happen but not because happy home life is boring. It will happen because there is a valid story reason for it. If they do it because it's boring to see a happy home life then that is a "Jump the Shark" moment.
post #1620 of 2493 Old 05-18-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 386
So here I am reading this thread after having discovered and watched the entire show over the past few weeks. It's gotten quite a hold on me. The social changes are fascinating. In the 1960 episodes, ALL the men dressed in suits. You can see that breaking down with the younger guys in 1966. Peggy is breaking so many traditional behavior patterns, and it's interesting to contrast her with Betty. I think about the Leave to Beaver home Don and Betty had at the beginning, and compare it with the 60s mod apartment Don and Megan have. Megan captures that mid 60s look perfectly. I hope 1968 is covered extensively--what a dramatic year that was!
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Mad Men Season Five Blu Ray , Mad Men Season Four Blu Ray , Mad Men Season 3 Blu Ray , Mad Men Season Two Blu Ray , Mad Men Season One Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Mad by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page