Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2493 Old 09-15-2009, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post

Wow, no accounting for taste. Last night's show was incredibly well done. Maybe it's the attention span of Two and a half men viewers that's the problem. One of the best of the series. "Hang in there, Bets."

Thank you. Cannot be repeated enough. If you don't get it, you don't get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2493 Old 09-15-2009, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

I agree though that we're missing the in-office stuff that made the show so great and we're spending far too much time on personal lives now.

I'm concerned the writers are getting too clever for themselves with symbolism. I'm not talking only about Betty's dream sequence(s) but the extended dialog about eggs after Betty just had a baby, Betty feeling she had been in a fog when Don is working the London Fog account, and I can't imagine that the three references to baseball in one episode weren't supposed to mean something although I'm not going to waste any time trying to decode it.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #183 of 2493 Old 09-15-2009, 09:05 AM

That's one great thing about this show: It works on many levels... you choose how many levels you wish to consider.
post #184 of 2493 Old 09-15-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by machpost View Post

That scene made me hungry! That nasty corned beef in a can used to be a guilty pleasure of mine.

Still is for me. I treat myself to corned beef hash about twice a year for special occasions. Hmmmmm.
post #185 of 2493 Old 09-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I thought it was good episode.

Big mystery is the prison guard's reaction to Don at the end.
1. Was he embarrassed about his openness to him?
2. Was there something wrong with the wife/baby? If that's it, why was he smiling before he recognized Don?
3. Something else?

Interesting, no?

-R

The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.
post #186 of 2493 Old 09-15-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I'm concerned the writers are getting too clever for themselves with symbolism. I'm not talking only about Betty's dream sequence(s) but the extended dialog about eggs after Betty just had a baby, Betty feeling she had been in a fog when Don is working the London Fog account, and I can't imagine that the three references to baseball in one episode weren't supposed to mean something although I'm not going to waste any time trying to decode it.

This was definitely one of the more "mystical" episodes of this show. I've been trying to figure out if the hospital snub by the prison guard/fellow new dad to Don had any significance beyond, maybe, the guy being a jerk (telling Don he was an "honest man" in the waiting room was a bit heavy-handed). Looked to me as if it were the same actor who played the hobo that encountered a young Dick Whitman while passing by his father's farm. Might be significant, if so.

Sally's teacher being so smitten with Don that she'd actually call to see "if there's anything she could do" was a bit much. Perhaps she just represents temptation, and is merely a plot device to show how Don's "matured"...? And I'm still trying to figure out if the black man sitting next to her late mother at the kitchen table during Betty's dream sequence had any significance, especially juxtaposed against Pete's grilling of the elevator man about his TV. Then there was the silkworm imagery, again during a dream sequence. Puzzling.

Speaking of Pete, did anyone else feel his snubbing of Duck's offer was a bit out of character? I would have felt that it would have been more like Pete to have at least strung it along long enough to see if he could somehow benefit. There were other head-scratchers. All in all, while the episode was carefully crafted as usual, I found myself with more questions than usual.
post #187 of 2493 Old 09-15-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Nowadays, you'd have to beat a competing offer to get someone with an attractive job offer on the table to stay, loyalty or none, budgetary concerns or not.

It's not that simple. In the creative fields, we get these kind of job offers all the time from competing employers. But about 80% of the time, people who switch jobs just for money regret it within 6-12 months, and find themselves out of work. See, what happens is that these offers usually come from either startup companies looking to raid successful competitors, or they come from companies that find themselves flush with money from recent investments or mergers. They want to raid talent in hopes it will bring them new accounts. BUT, what happens almost all the time is that those companies start running out of capital faster then they projected. And they don't get the new accounts they were hoping for. And the first response is to cut anyone they think is overpaid and who doesn't have a proven track record of loyalty. Which means, of course, the new hire usually gets the blame for not delivering on the unreasonable expectations of management.

A lot of times, when a guy comes in to the boss' office saying they just got a huge offer from a competitor, the boss will simply respond 'see you in six months, if we still have a position open".

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people in my field go back to their original employers asking for a job again, after suddenly finding themselves on unemployment. While there are certainly times where these gambles pay off in a big way, the seasoned veteran knows that keeping the steady gig with a regular pay check is usually the smarter move in the long run. It might take longer to work your way up the ladder, but it is usually the better move for anyone with financial obligations like kids, a mortgage, etc.

Of course, Peggy isnt in that situation, so the jump might be a good risk for her.
post #188 of 2493 Old 09-15-2009, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdrive View Post

Speaking of Pete, did anyone else feel his snubbing of Duck's offer was a bit out of character?

No, I thought it was perfectly in character. He has a HUGE ego. So it would have been very painful and disapointing for him to find out that Duck was also interested in somebody else. Especially Peggy. He would have taken that as a personal insult. I'm not surprised at all that he stormed out.
post #189 of 2493 Old 09-15-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:

And I'm still trying to figure out if the black man sitting next to her late mother at the kitchen table during Betty's dream sequence had any significance

Not sure of the significance, but as my wife pointed out, wasn't it supposed to be MLK? Her mother said something along the lines of, "this is what happens when you speak up."
post #190 of 2493 Old 09-15-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Speaking of Pete, did anyone else feel his snubbing of Duck's offer was a bit out of character?

Nope, it parallels his situation in the premiere with Ken being offered the same position as he.
post #191 of 2493 Old 09-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

No, I thought it was perfectly in character. He has a HUGE ego. So it would have been very painful and disapointing for him to find out that Duck was also interested in somebody else. Especially Peggy. He would have taken that as a personal insult. I'm not surprised at all that he stormed out.

I also see this (Pete's rejection of Duck) as a reflection of Pete's loyalties being aligned with Don over Duck since the end of last season. Remember when Don gave the compliment for which Pete had been waiting forever ("I left you alone because I knew you could handle it. And you did.")?

post #192 of 2493 Old 09-15-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruven42 View Post

Not sure of the significance, but as my wife pointed out, wasn't it supposed to be MLK? Her mother said something along the lines of, "this is what happens when you speak up."

The dream character was Medgar Evers, the Civil Rights leader killed in 1963. The teacher mentions him at the parent teacher confrence.
post #193 of 2493 Old 09-15-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

The dream character was Medgar Evers, the Civil Rights leader killed in 1963. The teacher mentions him at the parent teacher confrence.

Ah, good catch.
post #194 of 2493 Old 09-15-2009, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post

Wow, no accounting for taste. Last night's show was incredibly well done. Maybe it's the attention span of Two and a half men viewers that's the problem. One of the best of the series. "Hang in there, Bets."

Yeah, that's probably it. My renowned "Two and a Half Men" mentality. Dope.

Just because an episode is oversaturated with obvious symbolism doesn't make it exceptional or artistic. Sorry. Maybe the young art house fan boys think it's genius because they've never seen it before. Hey, they talked about eggs for 20 minutes, I know what that means! Brilliant!
post #195 of 2493 Old 09-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Now, now; just because you're old and used up is no reason to pan a show that you obviously didn't get. Go back to bed grampa, Matlock is on later. Snark.
post #196 of 2493 Old 09-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

is it possible some are over analyzing and making too much of the symbolism? i think maybe...

Comcast, E.D.L.
post #197 of 2493 Old 09-15-2009, 04:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_d_lopez View Post

is it possible some are over analyzing and making too much of the symbolism? i think maybe...

Well, the writers chose to show Betty having a strange dream where she saw many strange things that certainly imply meaning. I guess you could assume the writers had some time to fill and forget about it, but I'd like to think that nothing on a show at this level is by accident.

post #198 of 2493 Old 09-15-2009, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This was definitely one of the more "mystical" episodes of this show. I've been trying to figure out if the hospital snub by the prison guard/fellow new dad to Don had any significance beyond, maybe, the guy being a jerk (telling Don he was an "honest man" in the waiting room was a bit heavy-handed).

The opinion from other boards is that the prison guard may have suddenly realized he had "shared too much" about his personal life with a stranger and was embarrassed.

Quote:

Looked to me as if it were the same actor who played the hobo that encountered a young Dick Whitman while passing by his father's farm. Might be significant, if so.

No, the hobo was played by Paul Schulze, best known (maybe) for playing the jerk CTU director Ryan Chappelle in the third season of 24.

post #199 of 2493 Old 09-16-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:

No, the hobo was played by Paul Schulze, best known (maybe) for playing the jerk CTU director Ryan Chappelle in the third season of 24.

he was also Father Phil Intintola on the Sopranos, and currently plays Eddie Walzer on Nurse Jackie.
post #200 of 2493 Old 09-16-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:

Yeah, that's right. The Dennis Hobart character from this episode was played by Matt Bushell - there's a striking resemblance to Schultze (at least to me). Funny thing for trivia buffs - he had a brief 2-episode run in that third season of '24' as a character named "Cale" - the same season Jack Bauer was forced to dispatch Paul Schulze's Chappelle.
post #201 of 2493 Old 09-16-2009, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I enjoyed the scene where Don just dropped his Wife off with the Nurses, and they told him his part was over....LOL...and then sit in the waiting room with a drink and a smoke. Somethings really were better....

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #202 of 2493 Old 09-20-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

Was that Conrad Hilton (Connie) at the bar with Don? born in San Antonio if I remember correctly...

Wow, what a call. Very, very astute.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #203 of 2493 Old 09-20-2009, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Just won another Emmy for best dramatic series.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #204 of 2493 Old 09-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

I should have known that.
post #205 of 2493 Old 09-20-2009, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Wow, interesting twist tonight. What a stupid thing to happen, and stupid reactions.
post #206 of 2493 Old 09-21-2009, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Joan should have been a nurse, or a doctor.

Talk about the ultimate in calm adherence to the situation at hand and the need to get things done.

On the other hand, Roger's comment and the visual of the cleaning of the window with the sponge and squeegee was priceless! If you watch Paul carefully in that scene, he's about to lose it due to laughter…
post #207 of 2493 Old 09-21-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram
Was that Conrad Hilton (Connie) at the bar with Don? born in San Antonio if I remember correctly... .

Thanks! Now, let me get this lawnmower out of my office

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:
post #208 of 2493 Old 09-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Brilliant episode

post #209 of 2493 Old 09-21-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

When did Sterling Cooper hire Michael Scott? Don't Brits know to get out of the way when a riding mower is coming at them?

post #210 of 2493 Old 09-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When did Sterling Cooper hire Michael Scott? Don't Brits know to get out of the way when a riding mower is coming at them?

Now THAT would have been funny on the Emmy's last night; have a skit with all the Mad Men regulars and then have Michael Scott come in as the new manager -- lol.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Mad Men Season Five Blu Ray , Mad Men Season Four Blu Ray , Mad Men Season 3 Blu Ray , Mad Men Season Two Blu Ray , Mad Men Season One Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Mad by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page