post #2491 of 2504 Old 05-28-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Ditto. Don't care if the actor used to do that or not, it was completely out of place. As I said earlier, I think the writers have been sampling some weed in honor of the times this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

Wow. That's pretty cynical.

Actually, it's not out of place at all. You will recall that Don has hallucinated brief visions of persons very dear to him before, immediately after their deaths impacted him. For instance, he saw Anna Draper in his office way back in the episode called "Suitcase."

Now, with respect to Bertram Cooper's death, there is a bit of homage going on. In case you didn't aleady know, almost the entire set design of the first few seasons of MM was inspired heavily by a 60's light comedy musical film called How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. Even many of the color schemes seem to have been almost lifted right out of it and dropped into Matt Weiner's show. That film stars of course Robert Morse, the very same actor who plays Bert Cooper in Mad Men. That is no coincidence, so it is entirely apprpriate, and indeed sweet and a bit reverential, to choreograph and have Bert Cooper/Robert Morse (he's 83 now) the hallucination perform an old song and dance number with some pretty dancers.

I loved it.

I loved it too. The elderly Robert Morse was the perfect actor to pull off a musical theater production number at the conclusion of a season of very serious television. Recall that Morse's Bert Cooper loved the moon as a metaphor, so what could have been more perfect than having the two time Tony Award winning musical theater actor who plays Bert send the old man off the moment that his metaphor had been converted to prosaic fact by the Apollo 11 astronauts? Brilliant stuff! Andy Greenwald talks about this and a bunch else in this week's episode in Grantland. Highly recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 2504 Old 05-28-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Recall that Morse's Bert Cooper loved the moon as a metaphor, so what could have been more perfect than having the two time Tony Award winning musical theater actor who plays Bert send the old man off the moment that his metaphor had been converted to prosaic fact by the Apollo 12 astronauts?
Actually, it was Apollo 11 that was taking place.
post #2493 of 2504 Old 05-28-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Just had to watch this after reading the recent posts:

post #2494 of 2504 Old 01-16-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 116

Quote:
The last seven episodes of Mad Men’s split final season, will debut on April 5 at 10 PM, AMC announced at the top of its TCA session. “What an incredible journey this has been,” Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner said. “I take great pride in what the entire Mad Men team was able to create episode after episode, season after season. We sincerely thank the fans for joining us on this ride and hope it has meant as much to them as it has to us.”
Zookster and chrisf695 like this.
post #2495 of 2504 Old 01-16-2015, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Looking forward to this.

I assume they'll rerun the batch from last spring? I might want to see some of those again before getting into the final seven.
post #2496 of 2504 Old 01-16-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 58
i have a feeling AMC might run the entire series leading up the premier of these 7.
post #2497 of 2504 Old 01-16-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 852
This has always been a "different" kind of show. Always marched to its own rhythm. What Weiner and his minions have created here is something that, by simple virtue of being like nothing else on television, ever, will stand the test of time. And, you know, it was just really, really good. Every season. Every week.

I've often wondered what guys like Weiner, Gilligan (Breaking Bad), Chase (The Sopranos), Moore (BSG), Milch (Deadwood), Simon (The Wire) and others who have created incredible masterworks in the long-form medium of television serialized drama do when their magnum opus finally reaches the finish line? Are they plagued by angst and insecurity now that they know they've finished what they will likely be remembered for... like... forever? How do you top something that good? What can you possibly do for your next act? You can expand that question to cover a lot of creative fields, but this forum is about TV, so we'll confine it to that.

What say ya'll? How do these guys manage to get out of bed in the morning after one of these shows wraps?
post #2498 of 2504 Old 01-16-2015, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Amc has been for while now showing 3 episodes every sunday in the early a.m.
Regarding what some of these guys might do afterwards, I would like to think they reap the benefits of their past efforts and sit back with their significant others and delight in the simple pleasures of life.
post #2499 of 2504 Old 01-16-2015, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
This has always been a "different" kind of show. Always marched to its own rhythm. What Weiner and his minions have created here is something that, by simple virtue of being like nothing else on television, ever, will stand the test of time. And, you know, it was just really, really good. Every season. Every week.

I've often wondered what guys like Weiner, Gilligan (Breaking Bad), Chase (The Sopranos), Moore (BSG), Milch (Deadwood), Simon (The Wire) and others who have created incredible masterworks in the long-form medium of television serialized drama do when their magnum opus finally reaches the finish line? Are they plagued by angst and insecurity now that they know they've finished what they will likely be remembered for... like... forever? How do you top something that good? What can you possibly do for your next act? You can expand that question to cover a lot of creative fields, but this forum is about TV, so we'll confine it to that.

What say ya'll? How do these guys manage to get out of bed in the morning after one of these shows wraps?
I don't imagine they'd be insecure; I'd hope they'd be full of confidence and eager for their next project. Weiner was hot off the heels of success writing for the Soprano's when MM was green-lit, which was easier to get approved given his past success. Simon went from the Wire to (the criminally neglected, imo) Treme. VG probably had his pick of projects, but took the opportunity to go ahead with Better Call Saul, which I and many others are eagerly awaiting. But from what I've read, while the show will have connections to the BB universe, it will be a very different animal.

I'd think these guys would have some concerns if they can match the popularity/acclaim garnered from their watershed productions, since I'm sure they understand that creating something that special requires catching lightning in a bottle (i.e. it takes a whole team; their contributions alone won't be sufficient to create another masterpiece). But with the experience they gained, hopefully it would be easier to recognize and attract the type of talent that requires.

The one name I can think of that has decades of success in TV is Dick Wolf. Whenever I watch a re-run of Law and Order- or check out some of the various spin-offs, I'm amazed at the talent I recognize. Either actors that went on to make it big later or actors that have already made it big (often in movies) that "condescend" to do a TV show. (I often wonder if some of them need the money, even after a bunch of successful projects. It doesn't seem that long ago that movie stars would never agree to do any TV).
post #2500 of 2504 Old 01-18-2015, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post
I don't imagine they'd be insecure; I'd hope they'd be full of confidence and eager for their next project. Weiner was hot off the heels of success writing for the Soprano's when MM was green-lit, which was easier to get approved given his past success. Simon went from the Wire to (the criminally neglected, imo) Treme. VG probably had his pick of projects, but took the opportunity to go ahead with Better Call Saul, which I and many others are eagerly awaiting. But from what I've read, while the show will have connections to the BB universe, it will be a very different animal.

I'd think these guys would have some concerns if they can match the popularity/acclaim garnered from their watershed productions, since I'm sure they understand that creating something that special requires catching lightning in a bottle (i.e. it takes a whole team; their contributions alone won't be sufficient to create another masterpiece). But with the experience they gained, hopefully it would be easier to recognize and attract the type of talent that requires.

The one name I can think of that has decades of success in TV is Dick Wolf. Whenever I watch a re-run of Law and Order- or check out some of the various spin-offs, I'm amazed at the talent I recognize. Either actors that went on to make it big later or actors that have already made it big (often in movies) that "condescend" to do a TV show. (I often wonder if some of them need the money, even after a bunch of successful projects. It doesn't seem that long ago that movie stars would never agree to do any TV).
Weiner wrote the pilot for MM before joining The Sopranos. David Chase liked the script and that's why he got hired. During The Sopranos run both HBO and Showtime passed on MM which I'm sure they regretted once it went to series and started to garner critical acclaim. AMC was looking for a series that was different and decided to take a gamble that paid off. It doesn't seem that long ago that so called stars would do TV except that now some of the better writing is on the off "network " shows. The late Stephen Cannell also had a lot of success on TV and wrote a lot of scripts for his shows but I don't think either he or Wolf ever had the kind of critical acclaim any of the above guys have had. I'm sure they all have concerns about matching past success especially since now they will be under a microscope, and like you pointed out it takes more than just one guy to make a TV show, but their names will carry the load. It's not a lot different than what any writer, or a band, a painter etc faces when they have to follow up something gigantic.
post #2501 of 2504 Unread Yesterday, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 116
post #2502 of 2504 Unread Yesterday, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I'm so in denial that this is the final season.
acebreathe likes this.
post #2503 of 2504 Unread Today, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I wonder if there's any connection to the fact the the show starts airing (again) on Easter Sunday.
post #2504 of 2504 Unread Today, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 130
We get to finally find out if its Don in the Opening Title Sequence....
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Mad Men Season Five Blu Ray , Mad Men Season Four Blu Ray , Mad Men Season 3 Blu Ray , Mad Men Season Two Blu Ray , Mad Men Season One Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Mad by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page