'Mad Men' on AMC HD - Page 87 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2581 of 2605 Old 05-01-2015, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
They gonna do a Sopranos ending.
Not a chance. Weiner was a writer on that show and he learned from how it ended. He has said so in interviews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2605 Old 05-01-2015, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
Not a chance. Weiner was a writer on that show and he learned from how it ended. He has said so in interviews.
Yeah I know, but we're all just speculating here, including you!

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #2583 of 2605 Old 05-01-2015, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

True. I think like the speculation at the end of Justified, this is not a show with wild swerves in its history so I don't expect an oddball or big change at the end.
acebreathe likes this.
post #2584 of 2605 Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
It just hit me last night watching the show. Everyone one else over the years have had hair style changes, facial hair changes, their outfits change with the years.

Don looks and dresses the same in 1970 as he did in 1959 when the show started.
His hairstyle is the same, but he's now wearing a 70s style suit and tie.
post #2585 of 2605 Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Fantastic episode last night
post #2586 of 2605 Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalav View Post
As the episodes roll on I'm thinking a dark end for Don is less likely than I thought before. While we do see doors closing (marriage ending, no self-determination at the job, lost apartment/furniture) I see these as reasons to make a fresh start. I'd guess California. Maybe he leaves the McCann money behind (I can see him doing the before Pete ever would). As Don admitted to Ted, California has meaning for him. If he is, as Mathis said, "looks with no character", and if he is questioning "is that all there is?", we might see him attempt to make a move, physical and otherwise. I'd be surprised if the show ends without the writers evolving Don a bit more.
The clues are obvious and everywhere.

Don goes to California and gets out of advertising. He finally reverts to Dick Whitman to complete his transformation. He burns his Don Draper social security card but keeps the envelope money. His estrangement with his NY family and advertising is irrevocable.

Megan passes Don by the pool at the Hyatt Regency but does not recognize him with his Spanish Goatee and monocle. Megan has moved on. She has changed her name to Meaghan and has married an Orthodontist who has spent the past few years trying to do something about her exceedingly large chompers.

Henry Francis is indicted for voter fraud and goes to prison. Betty and Sally go to Bermuda to take up residence and look for Betty/Don's missing son, Bobby. They open an equestrian center for disadvantaged palominos.

Don runs into Trudy at the mall in Santa Monica. She has left Pete who now has the kids. Trudy learns to drink and wear grown up clothes. Don/Dick re-aquires his drinking skills and considers rejoining the US Army to amend for his identity theft. He and Trudy consider opening a combination bar/clothing store/brothel in Venice, Calif.

McCann swallows Pete, Harry, and the minions but Don, Joan, and Peggy are out forever. Peggy becomes a waitress and backfills Diane at the diner. She focuses on raising her son as she should have all along. Joan dumps strange guy who shows up on weekends and reconciles with Roger. They drink Cinzano Vermouth and screw off into the sunset.

Cooper and Pryce come out of hiding. Their faked death was uncovered by Ken Cosgrove who is a part time journalist with the Daily Voice to supplement his day job as a pirate at Long John Silvers. Cooper and Pryce flee to Reno to spend the millions they embezzled from the McCann sale. McCann commits suicide when he learns that Coca Cola was bought by KFC and that Harry was hired as their in house advertising executive.

Ted returns to NY and takes over as the head of McCann. He hires Bobby Draper, currently in rehab, a former NYPD precinct captain, as his lead Creative Executive. Don/Dick splits with Trudy and reconnects with Diane when he encounters her working the second shift at a local Subway sandwich shop.

Fade to black ...

Last edited by Leftcoastdave; Yesterday at 05:17 PM. Reason: Clarity. Or was it levity?
post #2587 of 2605 Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Dude, spoilers!
post #2588 of 2605 Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Anyone have recording issues? I had several freezes.
post #2589 of 2605 Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Anyone have recording issues? I had several freezes.
Yes! Two or three in my DirecTV viewing. Couldn't tell if it was a DVR glitch, or in the source. Apparently the latter.
post #2590 of 2605 Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Since no one else did, I have to post the two absolutely iconic shots from this episode:

post #2591 of 2605 Old Today, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Yeah those were great! The last 2 episodes were fast paced as hell, like a roller coaster. I also have a feeling that Don goes back to being Dick again......

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #2592 of 2605 Old Today, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastdave View Post
... with his spanish goatee and monocle.
lol!

Don't disrespect the pizza parlor!
post #2593 of 2605 Old Today, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Since no one else did, I have to post the two absolutely iconic shots from this episode"
The roller skating scene was surreal. Excellent.

Don't disrespect the pizza parlor!

Last edited by PooperScooper; Today at 04:14 AM.
post #2594 of 2605 Old Today, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post
Yes! Two or three in my DirecTV viewing. Couldn't tell if it was a DVR glitch, or in the source. Apparently the latter.
I have DirecTV also, so it must have been on their end. I've been experiencing some pixelation on several of their channels lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
The roller skating scene was surreal. Excellent.
But where did those skates come from?

Peggy is coming in with that attitude means she will be joining Don and Joan as ex-employees.
post #2595 of 2605 Old Today, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I thought the same about Don returning to bring Dick Whitman. Especially with the visual presented to us: Anna Draper's ring and Don Draper's social security card, both enclosed within an envelope. The imagery reminded me of a dead man's (or soldier's) effects being returned home. Dick can then climb out of the Don persona (and the emptiness it represents), and find some meaning in his life as Dick Whitman.

I thought it was a strong episode with good performances. In particular the Joan-Hobart conversation, masterfully elevating from cordial to nasty, and the Don-Betty scene which had a nice "can't go back" feel to it, with Betty subtly asking Don to stop the back rub.
post #2596 of 2605 Old Today, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree I think Don goes to California and goes back to being Dick.

In the end I think the only one that stays at McCann ericson is Ted. Joan is gone, they're going to end up firing Don, Peggy is going to hate it there and she knows it going in hence the cigarette and sunglasses and painting, and Roger is already agitated with them too.

The Don shoulder rub scene was very telling. First off the book that Betty was reading was an incredbible choice by the writers based on her history in the show. Then you get this hint that Don wishes he could go back to what they had but she reminds him quickly it is not.

Don is looking for that 1 love of his life to ground him. He probably will end the show never finding it.
post #2597 of 2605 Old Today, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I agree I think Don goes to California and goes back to being Dick.

In the end I think the only one that stays at McCann ericson is Ted. Joan is gone, they're going to end up firing Don, Peggy is going to hate it there and she knows it going in hence the cigarette and sunglasses and painting, and Roger is already agitated with them too.

The Don shoulder rub scene was very telling. First off the book that Betty was reading was an incredbible choice by the writers based on her history in the show. Then you get this hint that Don wishes he could go back to what they had but she reminds him quickly it is not.

Don is looking for that 1 love of his life to ground him. He probably will end the show never finding it.
Agree - but think Pete Campbell is the one main character who stays @ McCann to be near kids. Also possible Don looks up and becomes a father figure to Anna's niece Stephanie. Thereby filling his quest for meaning in his life.

This show has been a great ride. Having entered the workforce about the time season 2 began we enjoyed the many memory triggers such as where we all were when the first moonwalk occurred. We at our casa will miss it. As we did with Breaking Bad, we probably will go back in a year or two and binge watch the entire series again.

PS - I can still see the scene where one of the characters drives a riding mower around the office and runs over a secretary's foot. Great stuff right up there with the two shots of Peggy roller skating and Roger playing the organ/piano thingee.

Last edited by Leftcoastdave; Today at 10:56 AM. Reason: 2nd thoughts and correction on the niece.. (kudos to Aliens)
post #2598 of 2605 Old Today, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
But where did those skates come from?
It's an advertising agency - it is no surpise that they would have hunderds of different props and items laying around from various photo shoot or campaigns.
post #2599 of 2605 Old Today, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftcoastdave View Post
Also possible Don looks up and becomes a father figure to Dick Whitman's surviving daughter.

I can see Don looking up Stephanie, Anna's niece.
post #2600 of 2605 Old Today, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftcoastdave View Post
Agree - but think Pete Campbell is the one main character who stays @ McCann to be near kids. Also possible Don looks up and becomes a father figure to Dick Whitman's surviving daughter. Thereby filling his quest for meaning in his life.

This show has been a great ride. Having entered the workforce about the time season 2 began we enjoyed the many memory triggers such as where we all were when the first moonwalk occurred. We at our casa will miss it. As we did with Breaking Bad, we probably will go back in a year or two and binge watch the entire series again.

PS - I can still see the scene where one of the characters drives a riding mower around the office and runs over a secretary's foot. Great stuff right up there with the two shots of Peggy roller skating and Roger playing the organ/piano thingee.
My bad totally forgot about Pete somehow.
post #2601 of 2605 Old Today, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I definitely don't see Don going back to being Dick Whitman in name if for any other reason Dick Whitman is literally dead as far as the US government and Social Security offices are concerned. And even if he wasn't "dead," I don't see anything happening to Don between now and the end of the season that would necessitate a name/identity change. He's had most of his adult life to learn the hassles and complications involved with that.

Instead, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I see Don reverting to a simpler, possibly rural life (with Diana?) of the type he came from (before the brothel) -- I guess you could say in the spirit of Dick Whitman.
post #2602 of 2605 Old Today, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting storyline with Don's secretary. Wonder if she will be involved in the big ending somehow.
post #2603 of 2605 Old Today, 10:52 AM

Quote:

I can see Don looking up Stephanie, Anna's niece.
My bad. I meant the niece, not the daughter. Thanks for the correction.
post #2604 of 2605 Old Today, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I could see Don looking up the niece and finding her not available.

Joan gets a job with Avon. (prediction)

Last edited by blitzen102; Today at 11:23 AM.
post #2605 of 2605 Old Today, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I think Joan is in early retirement between the money she is getting to leave and her boyfriend does well for himself too.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Mad Men Season Five Blu Ray , Mad Men Season Four Blu Ray , Mad Men Season 3 Blu Ray , Mad Men Season Two Blu Ray , Mad Men Season One Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Mad by PriceGrabber.com