Watching current movies at home instead of going to the movie theater? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 108 Old 07-29-2007, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
ECH
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What if the day came to watch all current movies released at theaters, at home at the same cost of going to movies? Would you prefer to still watch it at home or visit the movie theater? Could this actually increase the amount viewers (also sales for that movie studio)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 Old 07-29-2007, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I would much rather watch at home. I rarely go to the theater. The last Batman was the last time I went. My Son and Wife go, but it's just a great big hassle to me. No BEER, high priced popcorn, cell phones going off, (what kind of moron answers a phone in the theater, and then has a conversation on it?) etc. More fun at home to me.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #3 of 108 Old 07-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg View Post

but it's just a great big hassle to me. No BEER, high priced popcorn, cell phones going off, (what kind of moron answers a phone in the theater, and then has a conversation on it?) etc.

You forgot about 2 year old children that mothers bring to watch LOTR and start crying and screaming five minutes into it.

forum tennis, look right.........................................forum tennis, look left
post #4 of 108 Old 07-29-2007, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I've asked this question many times over the years. It's been about evenly split in the past, but I think it's leaning more towards home theater as HD makes greater inroads. Many still want the communal experience. Maybe they should include a theater audience reaction track on optical discs for those who want it, complete with the cell phones ringing, kids screeching and people talking about things that have nothing to do with the movie.

I wonder if a generation growing up with HD at home will still have an interest in going to movie theaters.
post #5 of 108 Old 07-29-2007, 05:28 PM

I think its a great idea! I have not been to a theater in 5 years.
post #6 of 108 Old 07-29-2007, 05:28 PM

The only movie that i plan on watching this summer is The Bourne Ultimatum. I rather watch movies at home on my home theater rather that in the movie theater. Plus now its does not even make sense to see a movie in the theater and spend $8 a ticket while you can buy a dvd for $15 or blu ray dvd for $22 for most new movies.
post #7 of 108 Old 07-29-2007, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
ECH
Advanced Member

I'm assumer that most studios would reach a wider audience if the option was available to watch at home IMO.
post #8 of 108 Old 07-29-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECH View Post

What if the day came to watch all current movies released at theaters, at home at the same cost of going to movies?

What do you consider to be the same cost? The price of one adult ticket? Or of admissions, popcorn, and drinks for a family of 4?
post #9 of 108 Old 07-29-2007, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post

What do you consider to be the same cost? The price of one adult ticket? Or of admissions, popcorn, and drinks for a family of 4?

Clearly there needs to be a mandatory monitoring device for home viewing, so that you are forced to pay per person.
post #10 of 108 Old 07-29-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:

What if the day came to watch all current movies released at theaters, at home at the same cost of going to movies? Would you prefer to still watch it at home or visit the movie theater? Could this actually increase the amount viewers (also sales for that movie studio)?

It could never be the same price as going to a theater because you'd have to account for people getting together in the same house to watch. Thus, if 4 people watch at $10, that's a major problem for the studios. It would have to be a much higher price point, probably at least $30-40.

There is nothing that can replace going to a theater and watching a film as a collective experience. Now, I understand, it's easy for those of us in LA to say that because of the ArcLight or other elite theaters where there are no disturbances and which generally don't exist outside LA. When I travel, going to the theater is definitely a hit or miss proposition but still, films are made to be exhibited theatrically.

This topic is much discussed obviously within the industry. I don't think theaters are going anywhere. Certainly, pop culture events like Star Wars or Spiderman, etc are going to continue to be draws. Still, as home theaters continue to proliferate, other films will have different routes. We're already seeing that in the indie film world where people pass up potential theatrical releases all the time because economically there's a lot more money in going straight to TV and/or video. And hopefully, extremely successful theaters like the ArcLight will continue to expand and filmgoers outside LA will have the same sorts of options to go see a film in a proper setting even if it is at a higher cost.
post #11 of 108 Old 07-29-2007, 06:41 PM

The last time I went to the movies, there were 4 teenage boys in front of us, and they kept holding up their cellphones so they could text on them constantly, probably to each other .
Some guy in our row asked them twice to stop, but they couldn't. Addiction is a very powerful motivator.
Needless to say, it distracted from the moviegoing experience, but so does the 50 things that can go wrong at home, like phones ringing, dogs barking, etc. Maybe what we need is a pause button when we go to the movies
post #12 of 108 Old 07-29-2007, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
ECH
Advanced Member

Quote:

NO, nothing like that for example:
$8 per view or something like that.

Could they lose more money if for example:
-father and son
-2 friends
-boyfriend and girlfriend

would have paid $16? Yes, but would they gain more of an audience through the level of convenience? I would think so. For every person lost at the ticket counter is it not possible to gain 2 more viewers willing to watch it at home? One example is the price of gas now a days. Lets face it, we are living in a time were gas is being factored into some families budget. The 5 or 10 mile trip to the movie theater now a days will also factor in gas cost for work the following week (assuming that family goes to the movies on the weekend). This is just part of the reason why I ask the question. It was only a few years ago most of you could fill up with just one bill denomination. Those days are over. This is not the primary reason, this is just one of many.
post #13 of 108 Old 07-29-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:

NO, nothing like that for example:
$8 per view or something like that..

There is absolutely no chance there will ever be same day release PPV movies in the home for $8.

That would kill the studios' bottom line. The Simpsons just opened to $70+ million. A family of 4 paid at least 30 bucks to see it and probably more. And you want the studios to send it into that same family's home for 8 bucks?

Additionally, $8 is just not realistic in terms of PPV pricing. Same day release of a movie on PPV is more analogous to a PPV boxing or wrestling event.

When you hear this talked about in theory, you hear price points starting at $25. A major HW blockbuster, think Harry Potter or Star Wars, I would think would never be available on same day PPV under $40 or $50. And even if same day PPV happens, I'm more inclined to think Harry Potter or Star Wars would not be among the movies offered.

Plus, we haven't even mentioned the piracy risk with DVRs and the like.

And not to sound harsh, but it's certainly not the job of the movie studios to worry about people's gas costs. There's simply no evidence to suggest that rising gas costs are cutting into people going to the movies, in fact as we know gas costs are extremely high and still box office grosses are very strong this summer.
post #14 of 108 Old 07-29-2007, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
ECH
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytwn View Post

There is absolutely no chance there will ever be same day release PPV movies in the home for $8.

There is no absolute proof of the "exact" price so I am not sure what you are caring on about! Please re-read my post as stated that as an "example"
post #15 of 108 Old 07-29-2007, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:

Exactly. Being single, that price point would be of no value to me. I'd rather wait and own it on disc or put it my Netflix queue.
post #16 of 108 Old 07-29-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:

There is no absolute proof of the "exact" price so I am not sure what you are caring on about! Please re-read my post as stated that as an "example"

Your example was 8 dollars per view. I read it and it's quite frankly preposterous as it completely fails to understand the economics at hand as I stated in the rest of my response.
post #17 of 108 Old 07-29-2007, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
ECH
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytwn View Post

Your example was 8 dollars per view. I read it and it's quite frankly preposterous as it completely fails to understand the economics at hand as I stated in the rest of my response.

You are just posturing yourself as you balloon an example as something more then what is implied/posted. In which I never implied nor suggested an accurate $ amount based on economic conditions. I only provided a simple example without explanation of were it was based from. Therefore, what you posting is not only off topic but inaccurate as well. For one, please comprehend the use of th term "example"
post #18 of 108 Old 07-29-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:

In which I never implied nor suggested an accurate $ amount based on economic conditions. I only provided a simple example without explanation of were it was based from. Therefore, what you posting is not only off topic but inaccurate as well. For one, please comprehend the use of th term "example"

An example that is, by your own admission, completely devoid of any economic reality has no purpose. If we're talking cars and I throw out an "example" about you being able to buy a new Mercedes for $5000, what purpose would that serve?

This topic is a worthy one but it has absolutely no point if the economics are not considered because clearly it is the economics and only the economics that will decide this issue at the studio level.

You wrote in the same post above "For every person lost at the ticket counter is it not possible to gain 2 more viewers willing to watch it at home?"

And the reason why your example is flawed is because it doesn't matter if they get 10 million more viewers at home willing to watch if none of them are paying to see the movie.

That is why price point is everything in this discussion. It's the price at which it would make sense for the studios to allow this happen and that price would have to be set to assume group viewing just as boxing PPV events do.

You threw out $8 per view and compared it to 2 people who would go and pay $16 at the box office. As I pointed out, $8 is not a realistic price. But if your example had been $25 for the two people who would pay $16 at the theater, then it would have made more sense because you'd be building in a premium. That is the only way the studios would allow it to happen, if they could make significantly more, not less, money.
post #19 of 108 Old 07-30-2007, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If it is going to cost the same as a theater, I'm going to the theater. No ones video home theater can come close. Anyone who thinks so is delusional. However, I do wish they would bring back 70mm. What with the cost of movies these days to make, using 70mm instead of 35mm can't be much of a percentage of cost increase and would definitely give people a reason to go to the theater. It sure is funny they went to 70mm to fight early TV but aren't doing it to fight HDTV. When they go all digital I sure hope it is at least 4k but 8k would resemble 70mm. 2k doesn't make it worth going to the theater.
post #20 of 108 Old 07-30-2007, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

If it is going to cost the same as a theater, I'm going to the theater. No ones video home theater can come close. Anyone who thinks so is delusional. .

Count me as delusional. All prints, even release day prints are horrible...I mean absolutely horrible. Blurry, soft, washed out colors...the sound is too loud with no sense of space or depth. My home theater blows away the quality of any of my local megaplexes. If my at home PQ/SQ decended to the quality of my local theaters I'd thow everything in the trash and take up another hobby. HD material is miles and miles and miles above the PQ I get at the theater. Frankly, even regular DVDs blown up on my screen look better than the abysmal PQ of the theater.

You can prattle on about how much info is contained in a 35mm frame...but I am an empiricist. I could care less about what it should look like in theory...in practice it sucks.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #21 of 108 Old 07-30-2007, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Wonder what ever happened with this?:

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=4529

Check out the fourth paragraph:
http://www.inter-society.org/News_Vi...x?Articleid=22

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #22 of 108 Old 07-30-2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

Count me as delusional. All prints, even release day prints are horrible...I mean absolutely horrible. Blurry, soft, washed out colors...the sound is too loud with no sense of space or depth. My home theater blows away the quality of any of my local megaplexes. If my at home PQ/SQ decended to the quality of my local theaters I'd thow everything in the trash and take up another hobby. HD material is miles and miles and miles above the PQ I get at the theater. Frankly, even regular DVDs blown up on my screen look better than the abysmal PQ of the theater.

You can prattle on about how much info is contained in a 35mm frame...but I am an empiricist. I could care less about what it should look like in theory...in practice it sucks.

I agree with this completely. The last movie I saw in the theater was Bridge to Terabithia with my kids, and the picture quality and sound quality was atrocious. I would much rather wait for the DVD release and watch at home.
post #23 of 108 Old 07-30-2007, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

There was a thread on this topic (addressing a rumor that The Transformers would be a simul-PPV for $50).

Having a simul-PPV for summer blockbusters at the $40-$50 price range makes sense for families with young children. In my situation, when you factor in the babysitter, popcorn, soda, tickets and gas, you're getting close to $50.

For a single guy or dating couple, it doesn't work out financially.

If this were to happen, look for Hollywood to price it in the $50 price range.

ft
post #24 of 108 Old 07-30-2007, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

If it is going to cost the same as a theater, I'm going to the theater. No ones video home theater can come close. Anyone who thinks so is delusional.

Where do u live when your theatres are THAT good?? There is currently only one solid theatre in Oklahoma City right now..the others have autrocious sound and major dimming problems with their projectors....HTs can easily be better!
post #25 of 108 Old 07-30-2007, 06:17 AM

How much of the ticket price goes to the theater? Do the theater owners make their money only on concessions?

Also, thats a scary thought, charging per person! What a terrible precedent that would be. Just wait until the RIAA gets that idea for music!
post #26 of 108 Old 07-30-2007, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Let me put it to you this way. Last Friday night I went to the theater by myself for the first time in ages to catch "The Simpsons Movie "at 1:00AM (only time available for the day and I had plans for the weeked). Forget the rude patrons sitting next to me that talked amongst themselves whenever something funny happened (i.e. every 30 seconds ). Forget the awkward speaker placements and talkative crowd that made it a struggle for me just to hear the dialogue/jokes from the characters. And forget the awkward smells of junk food and unwashed patrons that assaulted my senses. No, 25 minutes into the movie the power went out in the entire theater complex (the 25-theater AMC in Times Square, NY) for five minutes. Imagine five minutes in an empty theater in pitch-black darkness with close to 1,000 people yelling, throwing food/drinks, waving their cellphones around like lighters at a rock concert, etc. Then the power comes on, we wait 20 minutes and then are told the film cannot be cued back and the NYC fire/police departments have asked theater management to vacate the building. So for 30 minutes I'm standing in a sea of humanity slowly descending steps only to be given one lousy voucher/ticket to reuse again for my troubles and waste of time.

I'm giving this voucher to somebody else and waiting at home (with plenty of HD-DVD's, DVD's and HD cable premium channels to keep me entertained) for "The Simpsons Movie" to come out on DVD (or Blu-ray if players have come down to $200-300). A shame because for the 25 minutes the movie was on it was a blast. But who needs the aggravations I went though when there are plenty of comparable alternatives at home?
post #27 of 108 Old 07-30-2007, 09:18 AM
GGE

I don't need same-day PPV to skip the movie theater. For years I've just been waiting for the DVD release. First, the current state of theater projection and environment is pathetic (at least everywhere I've been outside of L.A.); second, Hollywood hasn't produced a movie compelling enough for me to care about first-day or even first-month viewing in at least a decade. In fact I don't even purchase many DVDs any more; Netflix suffices for me.
post #28 of 108 Old 07-30-2007, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'm surprised no one has commented on the limitations in picture quality for a PPV presentation. If it was done via cable, I'd have to pass on it, because of lack of bandwidth. If I'm paying top dollar to watch, I'd rather see it in an environment without blocking, and pixelization. If it was a pristine picture, it would be worth it. If not, why bother?

(I use an 8' screen, so source limitations are very apparent.)

Art
post #29 of 108 Old 07-30-2007, 09:53 AM

This is an absolute no brainer for me.

Last winter I finished my basement with an Epson 800, 92" Stewart Firehawk, and 7.1 Klipsch THX Ultra 2 sound system.

I would be very very shocked if anyone thought going to the theater was a better viewing experience.

And I just have an upconverting dvd at present.

The picture is much better, sound is unbelievably better, and the theater chairs are much more comfortable.

Add in the full barbathroom convenience and time flexibility to top it off.

Now the reason for all this detail is that now it is a no brainer for me. Before when all I had was a 50" DLP and above average 5.1 sound, I would be on the fence with this issue.

This forum has members with unbelievable theaters in their home. Ones that probably (definitely) put mine to shame. We are not a good representation of J6P.

Anyone with a front projector setup will choose their home system.
post #30 of 108 Old 07-30-2007, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
ECH
Advanced Member

With the option of releasing a new movie at home at the time it's released at the theater its possible to gain more viewers (thus the incentive for studios to try). If it costs you the same as the theater ($8 for example) and you know you have a better PQ/SQ then what's offered at your local theater I could imagine some trying this out.
Reply HDTV Programming