Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippytu View Post

Just putting the url because there are big spoilers

http://www.daemonstv.com/2009/10/07/...californicatio n-season-3/

And why is it necessary to now put ongoing weekly upcoming spoilers (or URLs to spoilers) in this thread? Hasn't been done for seasons past, to the best of my knowledge. Discussion of the show is retrospective, after it has aired (typically the next day)... including general courtesy to West Coast viewers.

Personally, I have no interest in the slightest in knowing anything about what's going to be shown this coming Sunday. I don't even watch the previews at the end of the show. I certainly am not going to utilize your link.

If anybody else wants to read about what's upcoming, let them find out for themselves... perhaps going to the same site you're quoting from.
post #633 of 1062 Old 10-08-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

And why is it necessary to now put ongoing weekly upcoming spoilers (or URLs to spoilers) in this thread? Hasn't been done for seasons past, to the best of my knowledge. Discussion of the show is retrospective, after it has aired (typically the next day)... including general courtesy to West Coast viewers.

If you don't open the link, what difference can what it contains possibly make to you? I --gasp -- opened the link and read the synopsis of the next episode but feel unsullied, nevertheless. Still, as I go out of my way to avoid offending even the most sensitive spoilerphobics, (which the quoted post shows is a difficult task under the best of circumstances) I won't even mention who the guest stars are.
post #634 of 1062 Old 10-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Many thanks for the extra effort to keep the thread spoiler-free. For those that wish to know a little bit more, it's simple to get to the information. For those who want to remain virginal, the thread remains a safe haven.
post #635 of 1062 Old 10-08-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Personally, I have no interest in the slightest in knowing anything about what's going to be shown this coming Sunday. I don't even watch the previews at the end of the show. I certainly am not going to utilize your link.

If anybody else wants to read about what's upcoming, let them find out for themselves... perhaps going to the same site you're quoting from.

Why do you have a problem with what i posted? Thats why i put the URL. Its up to the person if they want to click on it or not.
post #636 of 1062 Old 10-08-2009, 09:08 PM

post #637 of 1062 Old 10-09-2009, 07:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Why do you have a problem with what i posted? Thats why i put the URL. Its up to the person if they want to click on it or not.

Well to be fair, this URL approach is clearly better than actually providing a textual spoiler right here in the thread. And of course, hiding all of it in a "spoiler" tag is maybe even better, for my money making it even more cumbersome and therefore less seductive.

I just don't know why "leaks" about upcoming story arcs or series details (whether from industry in-the-business associations or just from discoveries from other sites who have made spoiler details available) is relevant to THIS thread?

The show's been on for several seasons now, we've talked about the current week's show, ratings, actors, actors' lives and tragedies, etc., and I just don't even see the purpose of what I feel is counter-enjoyment in killing any upcoming surprise about something that just hasn't happened yet. I, personally, don't even watch the previews of next week's show (for this series or any other, for that matter) because I'd just as soon be completely surprised when I actually do watch that show.

I know, this is just my feeling. And obviously I can (and do) simply choose to ignore any spoiler-like posts. I also avoid watching anything in-advance, that might be available on the web or On Demand (mostly because I don't watch anything that's not in HD when given a choice). And others can obviously have a different opinion.

It may be customary for there to be a requirement to have "NO SPOILERS" in a thread subject in order to presumably guarantee no such discussions, and I guess this thread has no such caveat. But even so...

I know, some people like this spoiler stuff, and others don't. When posted correctly, you can always avoid it if you want to.

But isn't it just more worthwhile to talk about what we all have now presumably seen all together, with equal zero prior knowledge... once the official airing has occurred? Isn't that like going to a movie with no knowledge about some trick ending that's been spilled in some poorly constructed magazine review?

I mean even discussion about upcoming casting tricks, or surprise cameos, ruins the surprise for others. Why do it at all... even if it's "hidden" in a tag?

Why not just start a second thread for "SPOILERS" if there's so much to share?
post #638 of 1062 Old 10-09-2009, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Spoilerphobia is such a pernicious disease that the extreme behavior of those who are afflicted often leaves me shaking my head. I have lost track of how many times I have seen posts by one or another of these poor souls piously criticizing another poster for having posted a spoiler that wasn't a spoiler. Oops! They just can't help themselves.

I think Californication is a great example of Cringe Comedy, where we are covering our eyes with our hands but laughing uproariously at the same time. David Duchovny's lovable bad boy style is perfect in this show. Better yet others get a chance to make us laugh, too, primarily Evan Handler and Pamela Adlon as Charley and Marcy Runkle. Weeds has done the same sort of thing over the years but, wonder of wonders, I think that Californication is even raunchier than Weeds. Sure hope that wasn't a spoiler.
post #639 of 1062 Old 10-09-2009, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Woot thanks, Spoiler tags dont help when you get email notification
post #640 of 1062 Old 10-09-2009, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I don't see any big deal posting a link AND saying there's spoilers at the link. However, if people really want to find the synopsis for an yet-to-be-aired show (any show) they can find it themselves. They found AVS. I rarely see links posted for the yet-to-be-aired shows in other threads.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #641 of 1062 Old 10-09-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 109
But pippytu likes to post anything, and I mean anything, that relates to the program. That's why this thread has posts unlike any other thread.

Bobby 

post #642 of 1062 Old 10-09-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Woot thanks, Spoiler tags dont help when you get email notification

Are you implying that your email client automatically opens links? If so, I'm impressed. My humble email app requires me to click on links to open them, just as I have to do here.
post #643 of 1062 Old 10-09-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 109
I think he is speaking about the fact that links don't open but spoiler tags go to the email notifications as text without the tags. So, spoilers galore.

Bobby 

post #644 of 1062 Old 10-09-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

I think he is speaking about the fact that links don't open but spoiler tags go to the email notifications as text without the tags. So, spoilers galore.

This. Links dont.
post #645 of 1062 Old 10-09-2009, 12:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

How about just starting a second thread for this show: "Californication - ALL SPOILERS; everything you want to know in advance of airtime, for those of you who want to know".

Personally, up until recently I was quite happy with this thead and normal discussion about series airings to date, past shows and seasons, news on actors, etc.

Why do we need to look here for preview information at all? Why is that appropriate for this thread? I can do my own research on the Interweb if I really am that curious about the next week's show or the rest of the season.

Just my opinion.
post #646 of 1062 Old 10-09-2009, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh spoliers dont ruin it for me I normally dont read the emails till after the show has aired. But sending a link and saying it's a spoiler is even better No need to wait to read the witty comments from you guys.
post #647 of 1062 Old 10-09-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Why do we need to look here for preview information at all? Why is that appropriate for this thread? I can do my own research on the Interweb if I really am that curious about the next week's show or the rest of the season.

Just my opinion.

Let me state why I think that having an opportunity to look at a link containing spoilers is a convenience that does no harm. I, for one, appreciated the link containing information about future episodes. With an abundance of caution the poster of the link warned that it contained spoilers. The ONLY way a link containing spoilers can spoil anything IS FOR THE READER TO OPEN IT FIRST. Thus, for those who have obsessive concerns about spoilers to see one, they have to first open a link that has clearly been identified as containing a spoiler. The way it works now allows those of us who might want to look at such a link to have a choice which, it seems to me, could cause no harm to even the most ardent spoilerphobic. I think that's the fair way to handle the matter. The issue is at what point does a fastidious concern for spoilers become officious intermeddling.

Just my opinion, too.
post #648 of 1062 Old 10-09-2009, 01:36 PM

*SPOILER WARNING*

From sho.com

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
3x05 - Slow Happy Boys
In episode 305, Hank spends a bachelor weekend with an old buddy and shows him a debauched good time at a party hosted by Sue Collini and her eccentric husband; the rekindled relationship of Charlie and Marcy hits a speed bump.

3x06 - Glass Houses
In episode 306, a weekend visit from Karen is interrupted by trouble with Becca and her best friend Chelsea; Charlie is crushed when Marcy consummates her girlhood crush on rocker Rick Springfield.

3x07 - So Here's The Thing...
In episode 307, Hank tries to set things right with Karen but his multiple romantic entanglements become ever more entangled; Becca calls out her father on the terrible example he sets for her; Charlie fights to keep Sue's favorite client.

3x08 - The Apartment
In episode 308, a night of hedonistic abandon with one of his students and a pair of strippers ends badly when Hank is besieged by Charlie, an angry Rick Springfield, two of his other lovers, and his boss - resulting in an epic showdown.

3x09 - Mr. Bad Example
In episode 309, Hank's exploits with his boss's wife are exposed when Becca and Chelsea get into a campus brawl; Charlie scrambles to keep Marcy away from cocaine-addicted client Rick Springfield, jeopardizing his job.

3x10 - Dogtown
In episode 310, Hank takes Charlie on a bender to console him over losing his job, but they both end up having a near-death experience during a convenience store robbery; Karen hosts Becca and Marcy on a girls night out.
post #649 of 1062 Old 10-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I enjoyed the premier...but ep 2 was a mess IMHO. Seemed like they were just thrown stuff against the wall.

Usually they are very good at tempering the cringe with a dose of charm. Cringe for cringe sake can get boring.

Also, is it just me, or does it appear like Turner's character is being modeled after Shatner's "Mad Cow" Denny Crane?
post #650 of 1062 Old 10-10-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow View Post

Also, is it just me, or does it appear like Turner's character is being modeled after Shatner's "Mad Cow" Denny Crane?

They do sort of look alike.
post #651 of 1062 Old 10-10-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 72
A lot of Hank's behavior would be just stupid and annoying if encountered in a real life person, but funny and sort of charming in a TV character. But I thought Hank's behavior in the dean's office went over the line and just became stupid and annoying in any context. I know he was supposed to be stoned, but still...

he redeemed himself with the hospital scene. too bad he had to come down with a sudden bout of ethics and deprived us a look at the coed at work
post #652 of 1062 Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
barth2k, ask and you shall receive, or should I say reveal?
post #653 of 1062 Old 10-12-2009, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I'm with you on ep2...it was very weak and silly in comparison to most I've seen. Last night's brought it back on track. However, Kathleen Turner's mouth (as well as her body) is turning me off big time. Cringe doesn't cover it.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #654 of 1062 Old 10-12-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Runkle messed it up! Sucks that Marcy walked in on them. It was Kathleen's fault, seducing him or what not. Kathleen's mouth is one of the dirtiest on the show
I was totally jealous when Hank got that teacher's Assistant Jill (played by Diane Farr)
Can we now assume Hank will be sleeping around with Felicia Koons? ha
post #655 of 1062 Old 10-12-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Runkle messed it up! Sucks that Marcy walked in on them.

Rubbish! Ya torture a guy, ya keep saying "no" over and over ... then get in snit once he gives up and moves on? Frakin' psychotic, if you ask me.
post #656 of 1062 Old 10-12-2009, 02:57 PM

The LA Times loved ep 3.

'Californication': Don't put Daddy in a corner

Hilarity, heart and David Duchovny in a Snuggie. Welcome back, Californication; this is the episode I've been waiting for.

We had Hank and his shortcomings, along with his charm, but then we had the consequences of crossing paths with such a man -- women who want a little more of him than he wants of them, matched with a daughter who continues to wonder about dear old dad while hallucinating on mushrooms, for lack of a better alternative.

Arriving, of course, in the dirty Porsche, these were Hank and Becca's respective play dates: snooty English Department colleagues for him, and a new best friend intent on showing her the light (boys, substances) for her. Becca, this is your last chance to change your mind, Hank said as they pulled up, him not wanting to be there. Just do me one favor, she answered. Try not to get too hammered.

That's when he uttered the title of this blog, but he spent the rest of his night backed into many a corner indeed. Of course, these were corners with booze, beautiful women and even in one case, action figurines.

First in the attic, to the dean's wife, he opened up about dating:

That's my purgatory, really -- dinner, drinks, whatever. Never really all that interested, but I find myself telling her how beautiful she is anyway. Because it's true -- all women are in one way or another. You know, there's always something about every damn one of you -- there's a smile, a curve, a secret. You ladies really are the most amazing creatures. My life's work. But then there's the morning after, the hangover and the realization that I'm not quite as available as I thought I was the night before. And she's gone, and I'm haunted by yet another road not taken.

She kissed him. And then embarrassingly scurried off when Jackie -- student-bartender-Hank Admirer No. 863 -- walked in on them. One down

Then in the dean's office, to a teaching assistant made vulnerable by being stood up by another man, Dr. Moody offered up advice.

You get to be pissed off, but maybe if you just relaxed for half a second and stopped looking so hard for the appropriate life mate then you might wake up one morning next to one. You've got a serious game up in the matter. Because you're scary smart and you're crazy beautiful. You're a sexy nerd. Some women just shut off that part of themselves and they expect Prince Charming to come along. Not you.

She kissed him. And more. Two down

And then there was Becca (Madeleine Martin), outside with her friend, having moved from weed to mushrooms but still unable to leave that state of angst. Her dad would probably be happier without her, she thought aloud. And about her friend's eagerness to get her laid, No rush, she said. Sometimes I think I'd be happy to stay a virgin forever. Seems like once you get laid, it all turns to mess.

Truth, consequences and fun adult behavior. Aside from Kathleen Turner's Sue Collini, a sex-obsessed caricature that I just can't even remotely get interested in, this episode was that right Californication mix. Perhaps it just took this season a beginner's two episodes to get us sauced just enough -- kind of like the dance that happens at parties like these -- for the good stuff to finally come out: the honesty, the boldness, the fun and those pesky little consequences that follow.

Oh, and as for Charlie, he's still an idiot. All it took for him to finally succumb to Sue Collini's (disgusting) overtures was a little encouragement about his job performance after signing Rick Springfield to the agency. But bedding Collini meant couching it at Hank's for another lonely night. And in the end, the two of them sat there, wishing for someone and somewhere else.

We are not complicated creatures, Charlie said, and I'll drink to that.
Josh Gajewski

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...-a-corner.html
post #657 of 1062 Old 10-12-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
The character, Sue Colini, could be quite a bit of fun if they hadn't cast the toad-monster Kathleen Turner to utter the lines. They could have gone uglier or matronly+presentable with an actor that could pull off the humor, but instead they went with KT. She just creeps me out. Body Heat, back in the day, gave me a serious woody. Californication is scarring me for the rest of my life.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #658 of 1062 Old 10-12-2009, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

First of all, I agree that the present day Kathleen Turner is a pathetic caricature of who she was in her glory days in the '80s. Nevertheless, I think that she is kind of funny as the pathetic Sue Colini because there is a certain symmetry there.

I loved this weeks episode. As usual, the scenes between Hank and his angst-ridden adolescent daughter were funny and kind of sweet. I also enjoyed it when Hank revealed his true thoughts to Jill (Diane Farr), if only briefly, and then immediately went back to being the Hank we all love and hate.

There was a sly line in this week's show's final scene in which Hank called Charlie "Felix," when Charlie was getting ready to sleep on Hank's couch after having been re-dumped by Marcie. Californication is a lot of fun.
post #659 of 1062 Old 10-12-2009, 09:09 PM

post #660 of 1062 Old 10-13-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

this week was hank at his best. props to DD for pulling off lines that would sound stilted or overwritten otherwise.

trivia: the hot co-ed is played by Susan Sarandon's daughter. yikes. wonder how mama feels about that strip scene.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page