AVS Forum banner

Californication on SHO

127K views 1K replies 158 participants last post by  acebreathe 
#1 ·
Looking forward to this new original on Showtime. Theme song they play on some of the promos (The Girl I'll Never Have) gets stuck in my head for days. Hope it's as good as the promos make it out to be.

#127 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Starr

NY Post

August 23, 2007 -- Showtime for David

Two of Showtime's summers series are heading in different directions.

David Duchovny's return to series TV on "Californica tion" has been a success, so far - at least by Showtime's pay-cable viewership standards. The first episode of "Californi cation" (Aug. 13) averaged 550,000 viewers, which increased to 684,000 viewers (+24 percent) this past Monday.

But the third season of "Weeds" has, thus far, been disappointing. While the show averaged a healthy 824,000 viewers for its season pre miere, it shed nearly 100,000 viewers (to 729,000) for the second episode of the Mary Louise Parker pot dramedy.

"Weeds" also slid dramati cally in all demos week-to- week; "Californication," meanwhile, grew across-the- board, particularly in adults 18-34 (a whopping 67 percent week- to- week).

Like their brethren at HBO, Showtime officials are quick to point out that a segment of their audience watches Show time on-demand - so the above numbers are likely to increase during the week.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08232007...arr_report.htm

#128 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Starr

NY Post

August 23, 2007 -- Showtime for David

Two of Showtime's summers series are heading in different directions.

David Duchovny's return to series TV on "Californica tion" has been a

success, so far - at least by Showtime's pay-cable viewership standards. The

first episode of "Californi cation" (Aug. 13) averaged 550,000 viewers,

which increased to 684,000 viewers (+24 percent) this past Monday.

But the third season of "Weeds" has, thus far, been disappointing. While the

show averaged a healthy 824,000 viewers for its season pre miere, it shed

nearly 100,000 viewers (to 729,000) for the second episode of the Mary

Louise Parker pot dramedy.

"Weeds" also slid dramati cally in all demos week-to- week;

"Californication," meanwhile, grew across-the- board, particularly in adults

18-34 (a whopping 67 percent week- to- week).

Like their brethren at HBO, Showtime officials are quick to point out that a

segment of their audience watches Show time on-demand - so the above numbers

are likely to increase during the week.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08232007...arr_report.htm

#129 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k /forum/post/11395917

hey I think in L.A. if you're a good looking guy and drive around in a Porsche convertible, that will happen eventually.

Being neither good looking nor Porsche driving, I cannot attest to this, but it's on TV, so it must be true.

Even girls know that Porsche is a piece of trash original 911...come on...thats definitely not a panty-dropper

#131 ·
Arch, my friend, there is such a thing as "too much information."

#133 ·
The third episode was excellent, too.

#141 ·
Big drop-off in the booby-count this week, and with it, my interest is flagging. Hank is just so completely reprehensible and narcissistic, I can't sympathize with the character at all. And now his agent is turning out to be a jerk, too. His ex-girlfriend is schizo about him. In fact, the only two people I find a have a rooting interest for, the only ones who don't seem completely screwed up, are his daughter and Bill. Oh, and the writing just isn't that inspired (art imitating, well, art?). When more interesting fare starts to pop back up this fall, this one will probably drop by the wayside for me.

#145 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy /forum/post/11468475

Big drop-off in the booby-count this week, and with it, my interest is flagging. Hank is just so completely reprehensible and narcissistic, I can't sympathize with the character at all. And now his agent is turning out to be a jerk, too. His ex-girlfriend is schizo about him. In fact, the only two people I find a have a rooting interest for, the only ones who don't seem completely screwed up, are his daughter and Bill. Oh, and the writing just isn't that inspired (art imitating, well, art?). When more interesting fare starts to pop back up this fall, this one will probably drop by the wayside for me.

I'm guessing you were so busy watching the bouncing boobs that you didn't take notice that Hank is really a good guy.
He does not come off as reprehensible to me at all. The way he ended up apologizing to the women he put down in the pilot was nice to see. The way he told the 40 plus women that she did indeed have a beautiful body was sweet too.

#147 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 /forum/post/11472100

I'm split between you and Archi. I want fully developed characters, but I want to see their fully developed bodies.

In MHO the last ep was perfect. You got sexy and character development. Believe me, there are many women interested in this show too. But, we are watching for the characters. If this show is only going to be about boobs and the stories being second it will lose audience really fast and i don't want that to happen. I think that Duchovny is amazing and would love to see it become more about where the characters are going. Yes, have sex scenes but if it continued like the pilot it would get old really fast. That said i enjoyed the pilot very much but having the whole plot being Hank going from bed to bed would become boring. One nice romp in the hay is plenty per ep.

#148 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwozniak /forum/post/11471012

"Sorry about the carpet, didn't know she was a squirter." Hilarious.

Speaking of carpet jokes, I heard one from the first season of NYPD Blue recently that was a howler. When a rich guy and serial philanderer learns that his mistress likely ratted him out to his wife, he tells a cop, “I take her in and what does she do? She defecates on my broadloom!”

That was such funny stuff, I can’t imagine that anyone other than David Milch wrote it.

To get back on topic, albeit briefly, I think the writing on Californication has been terrific. The writers come up with new and funny ideas every week.

#150 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippytu /forum/post/11471525

I'm guessing you were so busy watching the bouncing boobs that you didn't take notice that Hank is really a good guy.
He does not come off as reprehensible to me at all. The way he ended up apologizing to the women he put down in the pilot was nice to see. The way he told the 40 plus women that she did indeed have a beautiful body was sweet too.

Dude, he's all id. You can't say the most reprehensibly rude things and then apologize and everything's all hunky-dory. There are too many schizo characters, which equals bad writing. Salaciousness and crudeness for its own sake does not mean character development. I'm really pretty surprised there aren't more people here disappointed with said writing. It's not very good, and it's not very funny, IMO. Now, a high booby count could mitigate those facts (as I see them) somewhat, but without it, this show just doesn't have much going for it. I realize others opinions may vary; this is just mine based on a pretty good first episode - but it's been downhill from there. Just the way I see it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.