Old 10-23-2008, 08:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTuber View Post

While the audio for the "Making of" special was only stereo, the actual series will have 5.1 audio sent as Dolby E.

I wonder how many stations are actually going to be able to use Dolby-E?

Quote:

BTW, MPEG-1 audio is preferable to DD when being fed to be recorded and re-encoded at the local station. It will be of better quality as AC-3 audio is really best for only one encode-decode cycle due to its lossy nature.

MP2 isn't lossy? News to me. So, you are saying that MP2 survives a decode/recode better than AC3?

If I remember correctly, the MP2 stream was 256kbps. Wouldn't 320kbps be better?

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

The individual MPEG2 stereo streams could sound better but inter-channel timing is an issue (NBC).

A couple of days ago NBC engineering sent out a quick note that the transition to the new C-band MPEG-4 feed (using the Tandberg RX1290 IRD) has been postponed.

The new IRD is supposed to be more phase accurate than the current TDR-6 transport mode. Our local NBC affiliate knows quite well the problems with phasing problems. Our local forum has had complaints regarding the issue.

And now NBC has postponed going to the more "in-phase" feed. If there was a reason supplied with the engineering note, my source didn't send that along.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Old 10-23-2008, 08:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

ABC uses 640K 3/2L AC3 and it sounds OK to me. That will change when they go to their new MPEG4 distribution.

Have you heard what they will be using instead - Dolby-E?

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Old 10-23-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I think ABC will be using the Tandberg phase aligned audio streams with MPEG4. This sounds similar to what NBC is doing except I think ABC will be carrying three HD streams.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I think ABC will be using the Tandberg phase aligned audio streams with MPEG4. This sounds similar to what NBC is doing except I think ABC will be carrying three HD streams.

A little birdie has confirmed what you are saying. Yuck! That probably means that ABC will be using the Tandberg RX1290 IRD as well (it is the one that NBC affiliates received).

Three HD streams is a LOT better than what NBC is doing.

What is so wrong with using Dolby-E? No phase issues using that.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Old 10-23-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
No phase issues, but it requires an external decoder. Also if they are using phase aligned MPEG streams, there is a bandwidth savings. I don't know the limitations of this system, but if they were using 256K MPEG2 streams, 4x256K=1024K which is half the bandwidth of Dolby E. Multiply that by 3 and 3Mbs becomes significant with all these streams being muxed. If they allow all channels to be embedded on the HD SDI output, it reduces cost as an external embedder isn't required and wiring is simplified. Even at 320K per channel, it's still only 1.28Mbs which is just over half the 2.2 Mbs needed for Dolby E.

It seems there are still many CBS and CW stations not using their 5.1 Dolby E stream. From what I've read CBS planning to stick with MPEG2 but will move to DVB-S2 and mux two 40Mbs network streams on a transponder.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

What is so wrong with using Dolby-E? No phase issues using that.

Simple. Cost.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

MP2 isn't lossy? News to me. So, you are saying that MP2 survives a decode/recode better than AC3?

Yes it's true MP2 is also lossy (perhaps poor choice of words on my part originally). Several papers I've seen indicate MPEG-1 Layer II at 256K is suitable for 5 or so multiple encode/decode cycles in distribution/contribution applications, whereas AC3 was originally designed as a one-time transmission codec although it is unclear whether only 2 encode/decodes would actually be audible especially if the satellite distribution used a higher bitrate (640K).
Old 10-24-2008, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Two and a Half Men is in HD on WUTB.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Old 10-24-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It seems there are still many CBS and CW stations not using their 5.1 Dolby E stream. From what I've read CBS [is] planning to stick with MPEG2 but will move to DVB-S2 and mux two 40Mbs network streams on a transponder.

Interesting. If a CBS affiliate isn't using the Dolby-E and they are doing DD5.1, then they are faking it, as CBS only feeds Dolby-E and MP2. OTOH, CBS's TOC is feeding The CW with Dolby-E, DD5.1, DD2.0 and MP2 streams.

What is interesting with the CW is that the documentation regarding the audio streams has it wrong. Each release has it wrong

I wonder why CBS is sticking with MPEG-2. Cost?

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Old 10-24-2008, 08:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

While the audio for the "Making of" special was only stereo, the actual series will have 5.1 audio sent as Dolby E.

Confirmed. Audio stream 1 will be MP2 and stream 2 will be Dolby-E.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Old 10-25-2008, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I watched the "Making of a Legend" special for the series (hosted by Lucy Lawless) and it is looking good.

I just watched this OTA, and thought the PQ was outstanding. The combination of spectacular locations and costumes that are finely detailed really makes for some great looking HD. I don't know if it's the best looking TV show I've ever seen, but it's way up there.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Stargate: Atlantis is in HD on WNUV.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Stargate: Atlantis is in HD on WNUV.

And so is House of Payne.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OP, any chance you could update the first post to include a list of what syndicated shows are available in HD? Sorry if its already here, buried in the thread somewhere, but a quick one-stop list would be helpful.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDContra View Post

OP, any chance you could update the first post to include a list of what syndicated shows are available in HD? Sorry if its already here, buried in the thread somewhere, but a quick one-stop list would be helpful.

Already exists in the sticky "The Official AVS HDTV Programming Synopsis - Fall 2008!" http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=164671

"Syndicated" is sorted alphabetically between Starz-HD and TBS-HD and currently contains:

Syndicated HDTV Programs
Available on local DTV stations across the country, syndicated HD programs are typically game shows, talk shows, and reruns of network sitcoms and dramas. Theatrical films and first run dramas have also been available.
-Jeopardy
-Two And A Half Men
-Wheel of Fortune
-Everybody Loves Raymond
-Seinfeld
Sony Pictures syndicated sit-com is available in HD, as all 180 episodes are in the process of being transferred. First sighting was on TBS HD, 9/2/08, with the 4:3 image zoomed in to fill the 16:9 image area.
-Ellen DeGeneres Show
-Oprah
-Dr. Phil
-Entertainment Tonight
-The Insider
-CSI: NY
-CSI: Miami
-Lost
-Tyler Perry's House of Payne
-Desperate Housewives
-Stargate Atlantis
Coming Soon:
-Legend of the Seeker - November 1, 2008
-Boston Legal
Old 10-29-2008, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I watched a episode of "Frazier" on Lifetime hd last night. It was in hd and a 2004 episode. The early years of the show have been stretched on Lifetime hd.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
KUSI also has Stargate in 720p but Time Warner San Diego doesn't have it yet. Cox does but not TWC. They should hopefully add it within the next 2 to 3 weeks.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

American Chopper is in HD on WBFF.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Isn't WBFF a local station? Why is American Chopper now on a local affiliate?
Old 11-02-2008, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The older episodes are now in syndex, it's on KIKU Honolulu as well...but they don't do HD.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here in Bakersfield we have ZERO ZIP NADA HD syndication! This is an extremely backward market. None of our local stations can record and playback syndicated shows in HD. It totally sucks!

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 PM

Announced on today's show (Tues, Nov 11) - Live with Regis and Kelly goes HD on Monday, January 5, 2009.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

A couple of days ago NBC engineering sent out a quick note that the transition to the new C-band MPEG-4 feed (using the Tandberg RX1290 IRD) has been postponed.

The new IRD is supposed to be more phase accurate than the current TDR-6 transport mode. Our local NBC affiliate knows quite well the problems with phasing problems. Our local forum has had complaints regarding the issue.

And now NBC has postponed going to the more "in-phase" feed. If there was a reason supplied with the engineering note, my source didn't send that along.

I would expect money.

If NBC's paying for the new IRD, they probably don't have the cash, and if stations are paying, they don't.

Either way, I suspect financial conditions are the rationale.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

XHDTV is airing American Chopper in syndicated form but no HD. They are in the process of adding a digital transmitter in Cerro Bola on their Analog mast. They should have the DT signal by no later than 2.17.09. No word on when an HD signal will air but if they go HD it will just be for MNTV programming. They are the areas MNTV affiliate licensed in Tecate, Mexico.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

As for HD syndication. Only KFMB and KUSI have the proper equipment to syndicate shows in HD. XETV I have no idea. KNSD who knows as well. Same with KSWB. KSWB is owned by Tribune. Maybe next year from them in regards to HD syndication.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Announced on today's show (Tues, Nov 11) - Live with Regis and Kelly goes HD on Monday, January 5, 2009.

I'll take the under on the fox stations carrying this show. ESPECIALLY KDFW

100% Digital household since 2001
Old 11-12-2008, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great, another show for WBAL not to show in HD, along with Oprah and Ellen.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3trojan View Post

I'll take the under on the fox stations carrying this show. ESPECIALLY KDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Great, another show for WBAL not to show in HD, along with Oprah and Ellen.

Regis is syndicated, however, it is sent out over satellite and taken to air live at most stations, hence the title "Live With Regis and Kelly". The actual live filming/airing is at 9am eastern/8am central. It is delayed on Regis' end and replayed over satellite again at 10am eastern/9am central. If Regis puts in the equipment on their end to delay and replay in HD (which I assume they will since most stations take the delayed airing) your local station will be able to take the HD feed, since this is alot easier than recording and playing back on the station's end.

On a side note, by the time the analog shutoff happens, I have a feeling many more stations will have the ability to delay HD locally. The main hang-up now for many stations is having to manage two separate signal chains throughout the station. Once they are down to a single signal chain it will be much simpler to install and manage the equipment to delay HD programming.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemeeich View Post

Regis is syndicated, however, it is sent out over satellite and taken to air live at most stations, hence the title "Live With Regis and Kelly". The actual live filming/airing is at 9am eastern/8am central. It is delayed on Regis' end and replayed over satellite again at 10am eastern/9am central. If Regis puts in the equipment on their end to delay and replay in HD (which I assume they will since most stations take the delayed airing) your local station will be able to take the HD feed, since this is alot easier than recording and playing back on the station's end.

On a side note, by the time the analog shutoff happens, I have a feeling many more stations will have the ability to delay HD locally. The main hang-up now for many stations is having to manage two separate signal chains throughout the station. Once they are down to a single signal chain it will be much simpler to install and manage the equipment to delay HD programming.

You don't know WBAL. They stretch some of their programming and STILL don't have 5.1 sound. I don't expect them to show this in HD anytime soon.