Closed Thread

post #301 of 384 Old 11-12-2008, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemeeich View Post

Regis is syndicated, however, it is sent out over satellite and taken to air live at most stations, hence the title "Live With Regis and Kelly". The actual live filming/airing is at 9am eastern/8am central. It is delayed on Regis' end and replayed over satellite again at 10am eastern/9am central. If Regis puts in the equipment on their end to delay and replay in HD (which I assume they will since most stations take the delayed airing) your local station will be able to take the HD feed, since this is alot easier than recording and playing back on the station's end.

Not only did I witness the on-air announcement, but because I also work at a station that airs Regis, I have seen the e-mail press release from ABC Studios and unfortunately they claim the repeat feed at 10 am will NOT be available in HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 384 Old 11-12-2008, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A poster on the local HD form says that KNSD is showing Ellen in HD. I guess they must have the proper equipment to do so. Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy are probably next.
post #303 of 384 Old 11-24-2008, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
HD Look for 'Live'

Regis and Kelly will look sharper in 2009

By Paige Albiniak -- Broadcasting & Cable, 11/24/2008

Starting in January, Disney-ABC's Live With Regis and Kelly will join the ranks of other top syndicated shows in both first-run and off-net by broadcasting in high-definition.

There's no downside to going HD, only an upside, says Michael Gelman, executive producer of Live With Regis and Kelly. We've been talking about it for ages, and we finally got it together.

Unlike Warner Bros., which built a new all-HD studio to house Ellen, Disney-ABC had a relatively easy time upgrading Live to HD, Gelman says. The show, which shoots out of WABC New York, installed a new HD-ready control room last year and recently received its new Ikegami HDK-727 studio cameras and HDK-727P handheld cameras.

The new Live, complete with new HD graphics package, will premiere Jan. 5. What better time to do this than right now? We thought it was great timing: New Year, new look, Gelman says. And we'll just be coming off some dark time during the holiday that will allow us to spiff up the set. Live also created a contest for the viewer who could compose the best new theme song.

Unlike shows such as ET and Insider, which spent gobs of money on fancy new LCD-adorned sets, Live plans to polish up what it already has. We were very lucky in that we use a lot of really rich textures and materials on the set that we already had, Gelman says. Oftentimes there are a lot of TV and theater techniques used in set building that only look good from a distance, but that's not the case with our set.

While Live may be ready to flip the switch, most TV stations are not. The economic downturn has forced many stations to push back their plans to install hi-def distribution systems.

If stations didn't have this already locked into a budget and the funds allocated, many of them have since found themselves cutting back or delaying whatever equipment purchases would be required to acquire syndicated property in high-definition, says one syndication executive.

Since this summer, CTD has found that the number of TV stations planning to carry its shows in HD has increased just slightly in the case of some shows, and declined for others. At Warner Bros., 40 stations are carrying Two and a Half Men and Ellen, with Two and a Half Men's count up by only two stations since May. By the end of August, however, stations in the top 75 to 100 markets plan to have systems in place.

To receive syndicated programming in high-definition isn't simple. There are many ways to handle the process, but typically stations need to have HD recorders, playout servers and switchers in place before they can receive and distribute HD syndicated programming. And automating that process becomes even more complex, requiring software that can run between $5,000 and $20,000. In fact, it's far easier to pass through HD network programs than to ingest, record and play out HD syndicated programming.

Still, all nine of the ABC-owned stations that carry Regis and Kelly plan to offer it in HD. ABC-owned stations already carry Oprah, Wheel and Jeopardy! in HD. In all cases, the stations manually record a linear HD feed of a show off the satellite, play it back to check for quality control and then place it on a playout server. This process is labor- and time-intensive, says Dave Converse, VP and director of engineering for the ABC Owned Television Stations.

As Converse puts it: Broadcasters are a little behind the curve on HD, but we're going to be pretty well caught up in the next calendar year.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6616788.html

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #304 of 384 Old 11-24-2008, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Regis will be a bit easier for the ABC stations and others using 720p compared to Oprah, WOF and Jeopardy as it won't require cross-conversion.
post #305 of 384 Old 11-29-2008, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Syndicated Lost is provided by a Satellite FTP system that is capable of HD. Right now it's not in HD. Maybe next year.
post #306 of 384 Old 11-29-2008, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

Syndicated Lost is provided by a Satellite FTP system that is capable of HD. Right now it's not in HD. Maybe next year.

I am watching a syndicated episode of Lost right now on WLVI that is in HD.
post #307 of 384 Old 11-29-2008, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Upon reflection I don't wish to post! Take me back!
post #308 of 384 Old 11-29-2008, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

Regis will be a bit easier for the ABC stations and others using 720p compared to Oprah, WOF and Jeopardy as it won't require cross-conversion.

Cross conversion is pretty painless. It can be set at the output of a server or tape machine regardless of the format of the file or recording. My experience is with Grass Valley K2 servers and you can set a different format and aspect ratio at each output for the same file.
post #309 of 384 Old 11-30-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Lost is provided by a linear HD satellite feed.
post #310 of 384 Old 11-30-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace View Post

Cross conversion is pretty painless. It can be set at the output of a server or tape machine regardless of the format of the file or recording. My experience is with Grass Valley K2 servers and you can set a different format and aspect ratio at each output for the same file.

If you don't want to deal with mixed formats in the plant, both the Tandberg 1290 and Harris Netplus 300 satellite receivers internally cross-convert and give you the output format you want.
post #311 of 384 Old 11-30-2008, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTuber View Post

If you don't want to deal with mixed formats in the plant, both the Tandberg 1290 and Harris Netplus 300 satellite receivers internally cross-convert and give you the output format you want.

Sencores will do that as well.
post #312 of 384 Old 11-30-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by owine View Post

I am watching a syndicated episode of Lost right now on WLVI that is in HD.

Are you guys watchin' Lost via local ABC affiliate?

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #313 of 384 Old 11-30-2008, 02:22 PM

Liked: 11
WLVI is a CW affiliate!
post #314 of 384 Old 11-30-2008, 03:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

The system you speak of is Pathfire. And while Pathfire is capable of HD, they priced themselves out of the Pathfire-HD delivery market by wanting too much money for each program fed via their system. So, linear delivery it is. There might be some other pricey technical reasons as well.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #315 of 384 Old 11-30-2008, 03:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Are they sending 720p because they are using WABC's studio?

That is unfortunate. Personally, I would prefer 1080i downconverted to 720p than 720p upconverted to 1080i.

But then again, I don't watch the show

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #316 of 384 Old 11-30-2008, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Jericho is in HD on WNUV.

post #317 of 384 Old 11-30-2008, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Is Jericho syndicated or part of MRC's deal to program CW Sunday nights?
post #318 of 384 Old 11-30-2008, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Are they sending 710p because they are using WABC's studio?

That is unfortunate. Personally, I would prefer 1080i downconverted to 720p than 720p upconverted to 1080i.

But then again, I don't watch the show

The article says that they are using Ikegami HDK-727/727P cameras which are native 720P.
post #319 of 384 Old 11-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

I think its regular network programing, they pulled the plug on the MRC deal.
post #320 of 384 Old 11-30-2008, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, I missed the news that CW kicked MRC to the curb. Looks like Jericho is part of scheduled CW network programming, so it's not syndicated like the other shows discussed in this thread.
post #321 of 384 Old 11-30-2008, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7oeb View Post

I think its regular network programing, they pulled the plug on the MRC deal.

Yeah, it is actually CW programming. They even brought back The Drew Carey show instead of running the new shows.

post #322 of 384 Old 12-02-2008, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

'Dr. Oz' Takes Steps on Road to '09

New Harpo/Sony talker cleared in 80% of country, taps veteran Mindy Moore Borman as executive producer.

By Ben Grossman -- Broadcasting & Cable, 12/1/2008

Oprah Winfrey's Harpo Productions and Sony Pictures Television have finalized several details of the fall 2009 syndicated show featuring Dr. Mehmet Oz, including the selection of Mindy Moore Borman as executive producer.

The show has now been cleared in more than 80% of the country, including 23 of the top 25 markets and with station groups including Fox, Gannett, Post-Newsweek, Belo, Scripps, McGraw-Hill, Hearst-Argyle and Fisher. SPT will also distribute the show. It will originate from New York and be shot in high-definition from its first episode.

“We're thrilled with how the marketplace has received Dr. Oz,” said John Weiser, SPT president of distribution. “He has an established brand and a connection with viewers and advertisers…everything stations are looking for.”

Like Rachael Ray and Dr. Phil McGraw, who both got a boost by being regular guests on Winfrey's program, Oz is a frequent guest on her top-rated talk show, which means he'll come to daytime television as a familiar face. Harpo, in conjunction with Scripps Networks, launched Rachael Ray in 2006.

Moore Borman is a veteran producer in both daytime and primetime with a résumé that includes The View, Good Morning America and Big Brother. She won an Emmy as a producer on The View and has also been nominated for her work on Good Morning America and Later With Bob Costas.

She has developed and launched a wide variety of shows for network, cable and syndicated television, including reality shows The Family and The Great Domestic Showdown, syndicated talker Iyanla and a Regis Philbin-hosted remake of This Is Your Life for ABC that didn't make air. Moore Borman has also served as VP of alternative development for Fox Television Studios, where she helped launch series including R U the Girl and Surgery Saved My Life.

“Mindy has terrific ideas, boundless creativity and a true passion for health and wellness,” said Tim Bennett, president of Harpo Productions. “She has an innate sense of how to help make Dr. Oz a magnetic daily show that will entertain people and enhance their lives.”

While the format is not finalized, the hour-long show will focus on multiple topics in the health and wellness genre, such as weight loss and nutrition, fitness, parenting, intimacy and stress.

A regular on Discovery's cable networks and a best-selling author and satellite-radio host, Oz is vice-chair and professor of surgery at Columbia University, and directs the Cardiovascular Institute and the Complementary Medicine Program at New York-Presbyterian Hospital.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6618027.html

post #323 of 384 Old 12-04-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

KNSD now airs Wheel of Fortune in HD. They just added Wheel of Fortune yesterday. Tonight they will air Jeopardy in HD.
post #324 of 384 Old 12-04-2008, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Yeah, it is actually CW programming. They even brought back The Drew Carey show instead of running the new shows.

Were they showing The Drew Carey Show in HD? The Directv EPG had listed in HD but my local CW didn't not have in HD. They blow anyway it seems every few weeks they won't even bother showing some CW programming in HD.
post #325 of 384 Old 12-05-2008, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw the premiere of Jeopardy in HD and the 2nd day of WOF in HD. Both look great despite the 12.5 mbps bitrate. I think they upgraded the Burbank Facility. Burbank I believe controls all CA O&O's. KNSD, KNBC, and KNTV are all controlled in Burbank.
post #326 of 384 Old 12-05-2008, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

Ah, I missed the news that CW kicked MRC to the curb. Looks like Jericho is part of scheduled CW network programming, so it's not syndicated like the other shows discussed in this thread.

CW could have just left Sunday to the affiliates.
post #327 of 384 Old 12-06-2008, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

CW could have just left Sunday to the affiliates.

Along with Monday through Saturday.
post #328 of 384 Old 12-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

KNSD now airs Wheel of Fortune in HD. They just added Wheel of Fortune yesterday. Tonight they will air Jeopardy in HD.

Did you add it here?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...709567&page=12
post #329 of 384 Old 12-06-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I saw the premiere of Jeopardy in HD and the 2nd day of WOF in HD. Both look great despite the 12.5 mbps bitrate.

12.5 Mbps? What the frak is that station doing?

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #330 of 384 Old 12-06-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Along with Monday through Saturday.

I suspect that you forgot to add a smiley to this posting. The local affiliates already program Saturday. As for for any other day of the week, stations would require lots of notice before returning any time, as the stations would need to obtain inventory. But you knew that.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page