post #361 of 384 Old 01-10-2009, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

TitanTV also lists "Law & Order: CI" as being in HD, but I didn't stay awake long enough (2 a.m.) to see for myself.

I recorded it last night, and it was in upconverted, pillarboxed SD. But this episode was dated 2005. Was L&O:CI produced in HD in 2005?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 384 Old 01-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
All L&O:CI episodes have been produced in HD.
post #363 of 384 Old 01-12-2009, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

But more stations in the top 75 to 100 markets are completing installation of Pathfire systems that will make handling syndication HD easier.

I didn't notice this in this posting until I read my paper copy (which seems to always arrive a week late).

The idea of syndicated HD shows going Pathfire is news in that that going Pathfire seems not to be the case.

I did a query of a very top market station and Sony has only informed them of HD linear feeds, no notes about Pathfire at all.

What is not liked regarding the Sony HD feeds is that the episode is only fed ONCE. If something goes wrong, the station is SOL, without having to pay through the nose to get it refed. All HD talk shows are pitched at least twice, but not this show and neither is Legend of the Seeker (not by Sony, but Disney). Something goes wrong and bang, your station has to use the SD version. And yes, it has happened already. When SD shows were fed linear, they would pretty much all have a second feed.

Yes, I know, the Canadian feeds were only done once, but that was normally to a single site or two and refeeds were done if something went wrong.

If anyone has more inside info regarding HD and Pathfire, there are a few that would like to know.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #364 of 384 Old 01-12-2009, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

What is not liked regarding the Sony HD feeds is that the episode is only fed ONCE. If something goes wrong, the station is SOL, without having to pay through the nose to get it refed. All HD talk shows are pitched at least twice, but not this show and neither is Legend of the Seeker (not by Sony, but Disney).

I don't know if this is still the case, but a friend of mine who works at a station that carries Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune in HD says those are also only fed once -- and it was at (at least for his station) a very inconvenient, early morning time when there wasn't much staff. If this is the case, then Sony may be leading the pack when it comes to "one strike and you're out" on HD feeds.
post #365 of 384 Old 01-12-2009, 09:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

I don't know if this is still the case, but a friend of mine who works at a station that carries Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune in HD says those are also only fed once -- and it was at (at least for his station) a very inconvenient, early morning time when there wasn't much staff. If this is the case, then Sony may be leading the pack when it comes to "one strike and you're out" on HD feeds.

You're right, I totally forgot about those two feeds and I capture Jeopardy! every weekday morning and watch it during lunch. The feeds are at 0700 and 0800 ET, respectively. My computer handles it for me CBS Television City LA handles the feed.

AFAIK, all of the syndicated HD programming, from 20th Century Fox and ABC/Disney are also only done once. I've not heard of a normally scheduled refeed for any of the shows. Interesting that the game shows and scripted fare do not get repeated, yet the talk shows do. Even the HD news magazines get a refeed.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #366 of 384 Old 01-12-2009, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

You're right, I totally forgot about those two feeds and I capture Jeopardy! every weekday morning and watch it during lunch. The feeds are at 0700 and 0800 ET, respectively. My computer handles it for me CBS Television City LA handles the feed.

AFAIK, all of the syndicated HD programming, from 20th Century Fox and ABC/Disney are also only done once. I've not heard of a normally scheduled refeed for any of the shows. Interesting that the game shows and scripted fare do not get repeated, yet the talk shows do. Even the HD news magazines get a refeed.

The only talker with a refeed I'm aware of is Ellen. Dr. Phil is only fed once; I don't know about the rest.
post #367 of 384 Old 01-16-2009, 09:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTuber View Post

The only talker with a refeed I'm aware of is Ellen. Dr. Phil is only fed once; I don't know about the rest.

Oprah has a refeed. I guess the only ones that I've looked at do. I do not follow the shows at all. Either I see refeeds or I find out about them via others.

That said, it seems that a majority of HD feeds are single feeds. Definately different from the days of old.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #368 of 384 Old 01-17-2009, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Deadliest Catch is currently be syndicated for quite some time. I assume it will be in HD just like American Chopper.
post #369 of 384 Old 01-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oprah has a refeed. I guess the only ones that I've looked at do.

The first Oprah feed is live. This and the linear refeed are sent simultaneously in HD and SD. The episode airs on the same day. ET and Insider also have SD and HD refeeds. They are linear only and sent shortly before the stations air them. Other syndicated shows are delivered in advance to allow SD and future HD distribution with Pathfire.
post #370 of 384 Old 02-14-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 161
From Fredfa's "Hot Off The Press" thread:

TV Notes
Disney-ABC Renews 'Legend of the Seeker'
Clearances to date include affiliates from Acme Television to Barrington Broadcasting
By MArc Berman, Mediaweek

Disney-ABC Domestic Television has renewed the upcoming second season of weekly scripted drama Legend of the Seeker in over 70 percent of the country. Clearances to date include affiliates from Acme Television, Barrington Broadcasting, Belo Corporation, Cox Television, Hubbard Broadcasting, Newport Television, Post-Newsweek, Scripps Howard, Sunbelt Communications and Tribune Broadcasting's owned stations.

Legend of the Seeker is the highest rated new first-run syndicated show of the 2008-09 season and we're enormously pleased with the show's overwhelming renewal for a second season, said Jed Cohen, executive vice president and general sales manager, Disney-ABC Domestic Television. The rapid pace at which our station partners have signed on for fall 2009 clearly emphasizes their confidence in this fantasy-adventure series.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content_...20676387de5051
post #371 of 384 Old 02-14-2009, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

From Fredfa's "Hot Off The Press" thread:

TV Notes
Disney-ABC Renews 'Legend of the Seeker'
Clearances to date include affiliates from Acme Television to Barrington Broadcasting
By MArc Berman, Mediaweek

Disney-ABC Domestic Television has renewed the upcoming second season of weekly scripted drama Legend of the Seeker in over 70 percent of the country. Clearances to date include affiliates from Acme Television, Barrington Broadcasting, Belo Corporation, Cox Television, Hubbard Broadcasting, Newport Television, Post-Newsweek, Scripps Howard, Sunbelt Communications and Tribune Broadcasting's owned stations.

Legend of the Seeker is the highest rated new first-run syndicated show of the 2008-09 season and we're enormously pleased with the show's overwhelming renewal for a second season, said Jed Cohen, executive vice president and general sales manager, Disney-ABC Domestic Television. The rapid pace at which our station partners have signed on for fall 2009 clearly emphasizes their confidence in this fantasy-adventure series.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content_...20676387de5051

Now, if one of my locals will get in house HD equipment, I'll be happy, I'd guesstimate from reading the Seeker thread, that half the stations carrying Seeker aren't capable of syndicated HD yet.
post #372 of 384 Old 02-14-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

The idea of syndicated HD shows going Pathfire is news in that that going Pathfire seems not to be the case..

Commonly referred to by many engineers as CRAPFIRE..

NEVER give them your cell phone. They will call you nights and weekends to let you know their server is not phoning home and that YOU need to go fix it.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #373 of 384 Old 02-17-2009, 07:18 AM

Surprised this wasn't already posted. Yesterday, I was actually home for the airing of King of Queens on WWOR (NJ/NY). I was surprised to see it was in HD (back to back episodes, both HD). Heard nothing of it going HD. Maybe I missed the posting. Any other markets see this?
post #374 of 384 Old 02-17-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja2bk View Post

Surprised this wasn't already posted. Yesterday, I was actually home for the airing of King of Queens on WWOR (NJ/NY). I was surprised to see it was in HD (back to back episodes, both HD). Heard nothing of it going HD. Maybe I missed the posting. Any other markets see this?

It was noted in the HDTV Programming Synopsis topic.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #375 of 384 Old 02-17-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

It was noted in the HDTV Programming Synopsis topic.

Thank ya kindly. I sure missed it.
post #376 of 384 Old 02-17-2009, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja2bk View Post

... King of Queens ... Any other markets see this?

yep, here in Charlotte..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #377 of 384 Old 03-12-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Storm Stories available in HD syndication.

Inside Edition in HD coming soon.

Dr. Oz in HD this fall.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9658357

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #378 of 384 Old 03-20-2009, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

KSWB can now air syndicated shows in HD. They aired 2.5 men in HD but the PQ wasn't as good as the first run ep's on CBS. Still better than CBS since they don't air those awful snipes. Then again KFMB our CBS affiliate airs no subchannels and uses a bit rate that's close to the maximum allowed by ATSC.
post #379 of 384 Old 03-20-2009, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Seinfield in (psuedo)-HD is kinda surreal; I actually want to watch it now.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #380 of 384 Old 03-20-2009, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Seinfield in (psuedo)-HD is kinda surreal; I actually want to watch it now.

Pseudo is not an accurate description. It is actual HD. The framing could be characterized as pseudo, as it is a vertical center cut of the original 4:3 frame.
post #381 of 384 Old 05-31-2009, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Last week I saw a promo on the local Fox station that they will have The Office in syndication this fall. Will they be in HD? Also what else is coming in syndication this fall?
post #382 of 384 Old 05-31-2009, 07:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Among others: "My Name Is Earl", "Marie" (Osmond, talk show) and "Law & Order: SVU".

All will be available in HD
post #383 of 384 Old 09-26-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linxs View Post

Last week I saw a promo on the local Fox station that they will have The Office in syndication this fall. Will they be in HD? Also what else is coming in syndication this fall?

Just caught "The Office" in my local syndicated Station in HD last week.. I was a bit surprised, since that station is nothing but SD unless it's the Network program and local news..

Another station can't seem to air Entertainment Tonight in HD, it's been SD for months if not years, even with the HD logo on the show..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #384 of 384 Old 09-26-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Just caught "The Office" in my local syndicated Station in HD last week.. I was a bit surprised, since that station is nothing but SD unless it's the Network program and local news..

Another station can't seem to air Entertainment Tonight in HD, it's been SD for months if not years, even with the HD logo on the show..

The comment you quoted is over 2 years old. Current discussion of programming still in SD is found here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1020061&page=4

This topic is closed.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page