post #91 of 384 Old 03-21-2008, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

For someone with no clue what this means could someone put it in simplest terms?
Just saw Two and Half Men and that is one of a very few shows I like.

If you are asking what I think you are, one of the posters higher up in this thread indicated that he believed that "Raymond" was cropped from the original SD (4x3) screen ratio into a widescreen (16x9) ratio, which would have meant cutting off the top and bottom of the picture in order to achieve the widescreen picture.

As the pictures that videojanitor posted show, the picture SD picture is actually cropped from the widescreen/HD picture, so the SD viewers are the ones actually losing parts of the picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 384 Old 03-22-2008, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman49 View Post

Any reasonable chance of TBS showing "Raymond" in real HD vs. the Scretchovision crap anytime soon?

I don't think they want to do too much HD all at once, people might get scared.
post #93 of 384 Old 03-22-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7oeb View Post

I don't think they want to do too much HD all at once, people might get scared.

You make it sound like they have some HD now....they have NOTHING at all until their baseball coverage resumes.
post #94 of 384 Old 03-23-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Single record and playback..from the HD feed via XdCamHd..the XdCam does an excellent job of downconverting to SD 4x3 centercut..Once you add an Evertz caption bridge to wrap CC into the SD that is..

How might captioning be affected by the move towards HD syndication? Do stations need to buy new caption bridges or to upgrade existing equipment?

Some of the syndicated programs that *were* HD, like "Stargate Atlantis" and newer episodes of "Law and Order: Criminal Intent" aren't showing digital captions on my Sharp HDTV. WTTG, for example, isn't showing consistent digital captions for "Stargate Atlantis" or "Stargate SG-1" on HD equipment like my Sharp HDTV in the Washington DC area, though coupon-eligible converter boxes are having better luck deciphering the digital captions.
post #95 of 384 Old 03-23-2008, 05:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

Uh, on many nights *I* am in Master Control .... like right now.

Well, I'm sorry that you sometimes have to be on duty during Raymond.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #96 of 384 Old 03-23-2008, 05:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

OK, an episode from season 1 of "Raymond" aired tonight (episode #22, aka #9922 "Why Are We Here?"), and the results were quite interesting. It appears as though someone was very forward thinking when these were shot, as the HD version was true 16:9 -- no cropping or other funny business.

My main bitch, which was taken out on Raymond, was with anyone doing chop-n-crop of 4:3 to make it 16:9.

It is indeed good news that they were forward thinking and shot in 16:9 from day one of the series.

We'll have to wait and see what is done with other shows for HD.

As a side note, you may remember that Roswell aired 4:3, but was shot 16:9 and released on DVD in anamorphic widescreen. I wonder if they'll release that series on Blu-ray. Will it get syndicated in HD. The potential is there.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #97 of 384 Old 03-26-2008, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I noticed WCBS-DT is airing Comics Unleashed in HD, I think that's the one of the few if not the only non network shows in HD on WCBS besides the local news.

Does anyone know if the syndicated CSI Weekends package is in HD?
post #98 of 384 Old 03-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

Does anyone know if the syndicated CSI Weekends package is in HD?

Every time that I've turned to it, it only been SD.
post #99 of 384 Old 03-27-2008, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

As a side note, you may remember that Roswell aired 4:3, but was shot 16:9 and released on DVD in anamorphic widescreen. I wonder if they'll release that series on Blu-ray. Will it get syndicated in HD. The potential is there.

Unfortunately, I'm under the impression that Roswell was post-produced in standard definition -- so while it may be widescreen, it would take a lot of rework to release it in HD.
post #100 of 384 Old 03-31-2008, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Oprah is going HD for next season (fall 2008) production

Enter Team # 55280 when u download
post #101 of 384 Old 04-04-2008, 07:14 PM

For the HD Raymond, I've noticed this week that the local broadcast here seems to be setting a flag on the OTA broadcast prohibiting recording. I'm using Media Center and it says the broadcaster or originator does not allow the show to be recorded. If I'm reading stuff correctly, this flag is not even allowed to be set on OTA content. Anyone else notice this or have any issues?
post #102 of 384 Old 04-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdg View Post

For the HD Raymond, I've noticed this week that the local broadcast here seems to be setting a flag on the OTA broadcast prohibiting recording. I'm using Media Center and it says the broadcaster or originator does not allow the show to be recorded. If I'm reading stuff correctly, this flag is not even allowed to be set on OTA content. Anyone else notice this or have any issues?

I know at least one user in the Sacto OTA thread reported a similar issue with WMC and OTA, I think it was a recording of the Grammys (not sure).

Here is a thread pointer, not to the exact post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post13561633

chris
post #103 of 384 Old 04-04-2008, 10:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_h2 View Post

I know at least one user in the Sacto OTA thread reported a similar issue with WMC and OTA, I think it was a recording of the Grammys (not sure).

The broadcast flag was struck down, in that no manufacturer, at this point in time, has to honor that flag.

CBS uses it on their network feeds and it seems that CBS affiliates have it on all the time. At least my local CBS affiliate does. The BC flag is even on for the SD stream for My Network TV (carried by the CBS affiliate). It is on even when doing local programming. None of my equipment honors it; STBs, D-VHS decks, or OTA MyHD 130a computer card.

But, if I understand the flag correctly, you are allowed to record said programs, just not distribute them over the internet. That is the intent. But, since the flag was shot down (for now anyway), you shouldn't have any restrictions.

So, timdg, drop media center and use software that doesn't look at the flag.

Mr. Video

post #104 of 384 Old 04-05-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:

So, timdg, drop media center and use software that doesn't look at the flag.

Trust me, I'm considering it an looking at alternatives for a computer; but I really how Media Center works with the extenders, nice interface. I never thought this would be a problem for OTA... Still not sure it is even legal...
post #105 of 384 Old 04-05-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdg View Post

Still not sure it is even legal.

The "it" being the broadcast flag? As I understand it, it is a volunteer thing. As you can see, there is stuff that looks at it and lots more that doesn't, because it isn't required by law.

You can thank Hollygreed for this situation. M$ is big on the DRM thing, which Vista is wrapped around. Because of that, I don't think I can get a Bluray drive to go into my XP system and be able to play Bluray HD discs. I can get a Bluray burner and create all the discs that I like under XP, but try and play a manufactured piece of media... forget about it.

So, while you are having trouble with OTA DRM, I'm going to have trouble with Bluray DRM.

Mr. Video

post #106 of 384 Old 04-06-2008, 01:30 AM
Advanced Member

The problems with the flag were the very strict rules that outlawed tuners that didn't encrypt the signal at every stage and required two "major" studios to approve designs. The rules basically made computer tv tuners illegal.

The court ruled that congress never gave the FCC permission to enforce the flag and the rule was dropped a few months before it would have kicked in. I'm sure some devices support the flag to be in compliance with a law that never kicked in.
post #107 of 384 Old 04-06-2008, 05:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7oeb View Post

The court ruled that congress never gave the FCC permission to enforce the flag and the rule was dropped a few months before it would have kicked in. I'm sure some devices support the flag to be in compliance with a law that never kicked in.

And I would have been one of the first one to give Congess an earfull and join a classaction lawsuit against said flag. It is free OTA and to block anyone's ability to record said "free" TV would result in the biggest uproar in ages.

It would be the Betamax case all over again. Hollygreed never learns.

Mr. Video

post #108 of 384 Old 04-14-2008, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Sony HD gear is also being used for HD upgrades for HSN technology and The Ellen DeGeneres Show.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6550937.html

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #109 of 384 Old 04-14-2008, 04:24 PM

Oprah is going HD, lets hope it's the start of more daytime HD. The View and The Young And The Restless are the only daytime HD and those are network programs, Oprah will be the first Syndicated Daytime HD program.

I want to see Ellen in HD
post #110 of 384 Old 04-14-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikmars View Post

Oprah is going HD, lets hope it's the start of more daytime HD. The View and The Young And The Restless are the only daytime HD and those are network programs, Oprah will be the first Syndicated Daytime HD program.

I want to see Ellen in HD

Actually, the first started several weeks ago with the 700 Club which we aire here in HD on WOLO-DT.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #111 of 384 Old 04-14-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:

OK, an episode from season 1 of "Raymond" aired tonight (episode #22, aka #9922 "Why Are We Here?"), and the results were quite interesting. It appears as though someone was very forward thinking when these were shot, as the HD version was true 16:9 -- no cropping or other funny business.

The SD version was NEW, downconverted from the HD version (this, according to the slate on the program). While framed slightly different from the original SD version, the video quality of the new SD version is leaps and bounds beyond the original.

Below are some screen caps, though all downsized for faster loading -- they're intended only to show the framing -- not PQ -- though you can still see how much better the new SD is compared to the old.

Original SD:

New SD:

HD:

Great stuff! Apparently, Friends, was filmed like this also. I read an article about 3 years back that stated they were re-editng all the episodes for hd, which were shot on film and originally in 16:9, which was matted to 4:3 for broadcast. We'll see I'm sure!
post #112 of 384 Old 04-14-2008, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Since Raymond was shot at Warner Bros I assume that it was shot 35mm 3 perf. This would explain why it's in 16:9 now. WB was big on 3 perf.

post #113 of 384 Old 04-22-2008, 02:05 AM
Advanced Member

Has The Andy Griffith Show made avaialable in HD ?

post #114 of 384 Old 04-22-2008, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_fun85 View Post

Has The Andy Griffith Show made avaialable in HD ?

The same week "I Love Lucy" and "The Honeymooners" go HD

100% Digital household since 2001
post #115 of 384 Old 04-22-2008, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3trojan View Post

The same week "I Love Lucy" and "The Honeymooners" go HD

I read somewhere, a long time ago, that both of those shows had been remastered in HD.
post #116 of 384 Old 04-23-2008, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Regarding "Andy Griffith" and "I Love Lucy" in HD, here's what CBS Television Distribution has to say:

For "Andy Griffith":
This series has been transferred into HD and has the following masters:
Network 4x3 HD

For "I Love Lucy", the answer is a little longer:
I Love Lucy has been transferred into HD and has the following masters:
Network 4x3 HD
We Love Lucy has not been edited into HD. The original 1-hour Lucy-Desi Comedy Hours have been transferred into Network 4x3 HD, but still need editing to recreate the We Love Lucy 2-parters.

Translation: These series have been remastered in HD, but the HD versions aren't edited for syndication (to make room for additional commercials), which means that no station is likely to be interested in running the HD version. Since the infrastructure for distributing HD syndicated material is still pretty minimal (note that "library" shows like these are not sent over satellite or Pathfire, but are still distributed on tape), CBS is probably holding off in offering these shows in syndication until that infrastructure does exist and they can make some money off of HD syndication.
post #117 of 384 Old 04-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

No widescreen, only 4x3 ?

post #118 of 384 Old 04-23-2008, 09:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_fun85 View Post

No widescreen, only 4x3 ?

I'm assuming that you can't be serious with this question.

Just in case you are, please explain where the 16:9 material is going to come from, considering the shows were B&W and 4:3 to begin with?

Mr. Video

post #119 of 384 Old 04-23-2008, 10:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond View Post

Unfortunately, I'm under the impression that Roswell was post-produced in standard definition -- so while it may be widescreen, it would take a lot of rework to release it in HD.

So, you are saying that it was post-produced in NTSC anamorphic widescreen and then center cut for air?

While going back and retransferring the original negatives to HD would indeed be work, it could be done, considering that there weren't all that man special effects.

I'd love to have this series in HD.

Mr. Video

post #120 of 384 Old 04-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm assuming that you can't be serious with this question.

Just in case you are, please explain where the 16:9 material is going to come from, considering the shows were B&W and 4:3 to begin with?

Yeah sorry that would make sense... thanks

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page