Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 384 Old 09-13-2008, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Lost is also in HD on WABC here in NYC

Email Melinda Witmer at TWC Corporate, the SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF PROGRAMMING OFFICER if you want more HD Channels!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 384 Old 09-13-2008, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lost and CSI Miami both HD in Albany, NY on WRGB
post #183 of 384 Old 09-13-2008, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
CSI:NY looks better here as well since it is on 720p ABC. Plus WEWS has no subchannels while WOIO CBS has a subchannel. Plus the lack of graphics/bugs/snipes makes it better as well. Who would have thought that? No bugs/snipes = better viewing experience! Are you listening, CBS??

I wish we had LOST here, but it along with Desperate Housewives is on the CW, which does not have HD recording/playback.
post #184 of 384 Old 09-13-2008, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

CSI: Miami also in HD on WEWS Cleveland.
post #185 of 384 Old 09-14-2008, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
LOST in HD on KGO, San Francisco. Unfortunately, marred by a very bright "ABC 7" logo. Also, whoever is inserting the barter spots has no taste at all -- most of them are blasting on even before the show has a chance to go to black. Incompetent people should not be employed.
post #186 of 384 Old 09-14-2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

I'm surprised they're having trouble with the part in bold.

Our problem with this, is that we essentially only have 3 sources that can go on HD: SD upconvert, Net1 and Net2. But then, most of our equipment comes from eBay, so having that many sources should be a blessing. I think an HD switcher was in the budget for next year, but I don't know if that's still the case...

(Note: Comments and other information in my posts are strictly my opinions only and not those of my employer or their parent company and network.)
post #187 of 384 Old 09-14-2008, 03:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
CSI:Miami, CSI:NY and Lost in HD on KGMB Honolulu.

They don't do subchannels....looks great
post #188 of 384 Old 09-14-2008, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

The biggest player in the spot distribution world is DG FastChannel. You'll likely find their "SpotBox" inside every commercial TV station. I know they have a new one that is being deployed -- I think it's the "SpotBox HD Xtreme" or something like that. Once that's out there (and I believe they are already installing them), that'll be a common pipe for sending HD spots to stations.

DG FastChannel owns Pathfire. I would think that the technologies would begin to converge for HD distribution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #189 of 384 Old 09-14-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

There are those of us on this forum that would

To your point, you are probably right, in that those that recorded TV shows in VHS EP mode and din't notice a difference will not know this is being done either

Many on this forum have mistaken widescreen SD as HD. I've seen cases where real HD looks softer than upconverted SD. I posted this comparison in the 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' thread:

It's obviously not the optimal route but as mentioned it may be a step up from 4:3 SD. In theory it reduces the resolution to 75% but from sourced from a high quality source like downconverted HD it can hold up fairly well.

The SD resolution reduction to 75% for the analog channel shouldn't be an issue as the bandwidth for 601 is 6Mhz. Stretched would be 4.5Mhz which is still wider than the analog channel.

post #190 of 384 Old 09-14-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
My Comcast guide has Desperate Housewives and House tagged as HD on WUTB.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #191 of 384 Old 09-14-2008, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
LOST was HD tonight in Orlando on WRDQ, Ellen is HD on WESH.
post #192 of 384 Old 09-14-2008, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
CSI:Miami NOT in HD on KBCW San Francisco. Not surprising I guess, since they don't run "Raymond" or "Two and a Half Men" in HD either. What's up with that? It's a CBS O&O in the #6 market.

It is HD on KCBS Los Angeles though. I gotta them credit -- there's more HD on that station than any other I've seen. If it's available in HD, they seem to have it: syndicated programs, local commercials, sports highlights, local promos, etc.
post #193 of 384 Old 09-15-2008, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

Many on this forum have mistaken widescreen SD as HD. I've seen cases where real HD looks softer than upconverted SD. I posted this comparison in the 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' thread:

Ellen original HD, Cat upconverted SD? The aperture correction/detail on the Cat Deeley grab looks to be coarser, and more SD (Do HD cameras have separate detail circuits for their SD downconverted outputs, or has someone just wound a whole lot more edge into the Cat stuff?)

The Ellen stuff is VERY soft if it is HD though...

Quote:

It's obviously not the optimal route but as mentioned it may be a step up from 4:3 SD. In theory it reduces the resolution to 75% but from sourced from a high quality source like downconverted HD it can hold up fairly well.

Theoretically yes - though 720x480/720x576 has been the only standard for both 4:3 and 16:9 digital production - so the angular resolution loss (but not horizontal resolution - they have the same number of samples - but the angle of view is different?) is deemed acceptable.

There was a higher resolution SD 16:9 format proposed - but it wasn't adopted by any major players (if anyone) AIUI. The huge flexibility in having a common 4:3/16:9 SD standard for kit like vision mixers, VTRs, CGs etc. (and just an aspect ratio software switch) was hugely compelling - and made switching ratios for different shows trivial.

Quote:

The SD resolution reduction to 75% for the analog channel shouldn't be an issue as the bandwidth for 601 is 6Mhz. Stretched would be 4.5Mhz which is still wider than the analog channel.

Yep - no RF broadcast, decoded composite system, ever delivered stuff as high as 720x576 or 720x480, much closer to 544x576 for PAL-BG (and even I since the tighter roll-off was introduced), and possibly even less for 6MHz NTSC-M.

(In the UK we have some 16:9 services using 544x576 rather than 720/704x576. When they show pillarboxed content - as is sometimes the case when a 16:9 studio show is used for 4:3 football match coverage - when the match is played from a 4:3 country - then you end up with a 4:3 active picture of just 408x576... It looks AWFUL!)
post #194 of 384 Old 09-15-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Ellen original HD, Cat upconverted SD? The aperture correction/detail on the Cat Deeley grab looks to be coarser, and more SD (Do HD cameras have separate detail circuits for their SD downconverted outputs, or has someone just wound a whole lot more edge into the Cat stuff?)

I thought I was sensitive to excessive detail, but the Cat Deely grab looks pretty edge free to me - just a slight hint of thin outlines which to me is a good look for live TV. I've seen much more detail enhanced true HD, especially on sports. The grab of Cat is from SYTYCD which is upconverted SD. Some HD cameras (like Sony) do have separate detail for the SD output, but I think the HD detail affects both. OTH this grab posted in the MAD TV thread looks very coarsely detail enhanced and I suspect it's from an SD camera:

post #195 of 384 Old 09-15-2008, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Warner Bros.' Domestic TV Distribution chief Ken Werner discusses the new syndication season...

Ellen joined ET, The Insider, Oprah and Dr. Phil in going HD this season. Do you expect to eventually take all your shows HD?

The HD question is one we look at each year. There is a substantial expense associated with it and not only from our point of view --TV stations have to be prepared to broadcast in HD. We did Ellen because we knew she was a franchise that would be on for many years to come, and when the opportunity to move her [off NBC's lot in Burbank] onto the Warner Bros. lot arose, it seemed like an appropriate forward-looking investment. There are still not many TV stations that can receive and broadcast syndicated shows in HD. If stations are not uniform and want SD [standard-definition] and HD versions, the additional costs can really add up. But I do believe over time we'll all migrate to HD. It's a timing issue.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6596035.html

post #196 of 384 Old 09-15-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

I thought I was sensitive to excessive detail, but the Cat Deely grab looks pretty edge free to me - just a slight hint of thin outlines which to me is a good look for live TV. I've seen much more detail enhanced true HD, especially on sports. The grab of Cat is from SYTYCD which is upconverted SD. Some HD cameras (like Sony) do have separate detail for the SD output, but I think the HD detail affects both. OTH this grab posted in the MAD TV thread looks very coarsely detail enhanced and I suspect it's from an SD camera:

Yeah - that looks horrid. Looks like there is nasty ringing on it (dodgy triax channel?)

I wasn't suggesting that the Cat Deeley grab was overly enhanced (though it felt a tad "edgy" - particularly on the top half highlights on her right /cam left arm and mic hand) just that it appeared to be quite "SD" in its enhancement - with quite coarse edges.
post #197 of 384 Old 09-22-2008, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I think this is the thread to post in.....

Tyler Perry's House of Payne is in HD on WWOR-DT (my9 in NYC).

Edit: The 7pm episode was in HD, looks like they forgot to flip the switch for the 7:30pm episode so far.
post #198 of 384 Old 09-22-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Got word today Boston Legal will be fed in HD.
Add that to our pile along with Desperate Housewives.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #199 of 384 Old 09-25-2008, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Channel 5 Broadcasting Syndicated Shows In HD

Last Update: 3:30 pm

GREEN BAY (WFRV) - WFRV-TV Channel 5 announced today that it has begun airing Ellen, Oprah, and Entertainment Tonight in High Definition on its digital channel. WFRV's full programming line-up now includes The Price is Right, The Young and the Restless, Ellen, Oprah, The CBS Evening News with Katie Couric, Entertainment Tonight and most CBS primetime shows including Survivor and 60 Minutes.

We converted our central facility from an analog room to a full HD room. said Perry Kidder, President and General Manager of WFRV. This is a very important step for the station, and the best part is the viewers will directly benefit from the new technology and clearly see the difference.

The upgrade included the addition of new computer servers capable of recording High Definition shows. The station began airing Oprah in HD last week, and launched Ellen and Entertainment Tonight this past Wednesday.

When these three major shows announced they were going to be in HD last spring, we began lining up our project to coincide with their launch, said Tom Swigert, Technical Operations Manager for WFRV. The pictures are gorgeous, and we're thrilled to bring these outstanding pictures to our viewers.

Swigert also added that the switch will also improve the picture quality of WFRV's analog signal. We are now taking our HD signal and downconverting it for Channel 5's analog transmitter, much like a digital converter box at home would do.

Channel 5, along with all television stations across the country, will cease broadcasting their analog signal on February 17, 2009. Information on the switch to digital broadcasting can be found on WFRV.Com at www.wfrv.com/dtv

The upgrade has the added benefit of news and weather crawls in HD. We are done switching to the square upconverted feed for a weather crawl, said Swigert. This project will now allow us to broadcast weather watches and warnings without interrupting the HD picture.

Ellen can be seen weekdays at 3pm, Oprah at 4pm, and Entertainment Tonight at 6:30pm on WFRV-TV Channel 5.

WFRV-TV has had a long list of television firsts. In addition to being the first station in the Northeast Wisconsin television market to provide local High Definition playback of shows and commercials, WFRV was also the first station in Northeast Wisconsin to broadcast a digital signal in 2003, the first station in the market to broadcast local news in color in 1965, and the first station in the world to broadcast a lunar eclipse live in 1959.

http://www.wfrv.com/news/local/story...e-8ac3fd6f1d38

post #200 of 384 Old 09-25-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Did D.H. start in HD yet? I think the day was supposed to be last Sunday?

When is B.L. supposed to start?

Thanks.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #201 of 384 Old 09-25-2008, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

WDCA in D.C. and WUTB Baltimore are showing Desperate Housewives in HD.

post #202 of 384 Old 09-25-2008, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

WDCA in D.C. and WUTB Baltimore are showing Desperate Housewives in HD.

Thx, as always.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #203 of 384 Old 09-25-2008, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

With the increasing number of syndicated shows in HD, what are the chances of CBS offering the syndicated reruns of "Star Trek" in HD?
post #204 of 384 Old 09-25-2008, 08:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

The upgrade has the added benefit of news and weather crawls in HD. “We are done switching to the square upconverted feed for a weather crawl,” said Swigert. “This project will now allow us to broadcast weather watches and warnings without interrupting the HD picture.”

I think they need a new quote that accurately describes the crawls. The crawls are indeed interrupting the HD picture. Anytime anything is placed on the screen that is not part of the actual program, it is an interruption.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

post #205 of 384 Old 09-25-2008, 08:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

It seems that they are using the MyNetworkTV mux in order to do that?

I wanna see Boston Public in HD.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

post #206 of 384 Old 09-27-2008, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The upgrade has the added benefit of news and weather crawls in HD. We are done switching to the square upconverted feed for a weather crawl, said Swigert. This project will now allow us to broadcast weather watches and warnings without interrupting the HD picture.

Quote:

I think they need a new quote that accurately describes the crawls. The crawls are indeed interrupting the HD picture. Anytime anything is placed on the screen that is not part of the actual program, it is an interruption.

Actually that statement is correct. When the station has to throw to SD to put up maps/crawls, that is interrupting HDTV. When they can do it over HD, it is great. Local NBC and ABC can do it. Local FOX cannot and it sucks. Last winter school closing crap messed up primetime programming and CBS dumped the grammy awards to SD for weather/school closing info as well. I would loved to have graphics over HD at that time.
post #207 of 384 Old 09-27-2008, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

WEWS ABC5 in Cleveland is showing 'Boston Legal' in HDTV right now. Before that was CSI: NY and CSI: Miami, in HD!!! Nice work!
post #208 of 384 Old 09-27-2008, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

When is B.L. supposed to start?

Thanks.

DH started HD Sunday morning on WXYZ, BL SD and looks horrible.
Both CSI NY & Miami also in HD as last week it was SD saturday, HD Sunday.
Looks like WXYZ fixed the problems with DH but still has more work to do for BL and WWJ is golden.

What about Lost on Sundays? I'll cap it tomorrow in case at 5PM, though not likely?
post #209 of 384 Old 09-28-2008, 12:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

When they can do it over HD, it is great.

It is still an interruption of the HD programming. In the case of weather stuff, one is less offensive than the other (HD crawls/graphics, vs SD upconvert).

As for Fox affiliates adding the ability... it seems that to do so would cost the station at least $30k, vs $20k or less on other stations. The splicer system, while it has its good side, also has some bad sides.

Mr. Video

post #210 of 384 Old 09-28-2008, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As for Fox affiliates adding the ability... it seems that to do so would cost the station at least $30k, vs $20k or less on other stations. The splicer system, while it has its good side, also has some bad sides.

What are the good sides of the splicer system? Other than it is supposed to help keep HD on the screen(a digital feed is always sent along with the analog and it is supposed to automatically show HD during network programming). It seems like this system is more of a PITA than helpful.

This also makes me wonder what will happen after February 2009 when the SD analog feed is no longer there to 'throw back to' for local inserted weather warnings. Will all stations have to make this upgrade before then? At a cost of 30K? Since the HD feed will also be used as the SD feed, I don't think they could go without broadcasting weather warnings.

And that splicer system is also bad whenever local station decides to over ride it and show SD anyway. The entire evening was SD, even local news.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page