post #4291 of 4319 Old 03-30-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Another question I have is about the liquid metal bot. Is the one from the sub the same one who owns John Henry? I felt it could be.

I used to think she was the liquid metal bot on the sub, but now I'm not sure. When asked if it would join the resistance- the liquid metal bot said "no". We then learn in the last episode the Shirley Manson character was building the John Henry device to fight Skynet.
So, if they were the same liquid metal bot- why would she say "no" to the resistance, then go back in time to fight Skynet anyway?

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4292 of 4319 Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

I used to think she was the liquid metal bot on the sub, but now I'm not sure. When asked if it would join the resistance- the liquid metal bot said "no". We then learn in the last episode the Shirley Manson character was building the John Henry device to fight Skynet.
So, if they were the same liquid metal bot- why would she say "no" to the resistance, then go back in time to fight Skynet anyway?

Females are known to change their minds at the drop of a hat.
post #4293 of 4319 Old 03-30-2011, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 477
I watched the show again not too long ago... in the back of my mind I was trying to figure out why the show didn't catch on.

Unfortunately, I think I know an answer (don't know if it's the answer or not). The writing and plot structure of the show was, to sum it up, inconsistent.

It was a little shaky in Season 1, but then it really started to fall apart in Season 2. It was if the show never really knew what it was supposed to be about, what its central A-Story "core" was and because of it the characters were wasted, and sometimes were standing around with little to do or no motivation for being there in the story. And the "three dots" as a plot line to drive Season 2 with? Gimme a break!

Another few problems that would bug the crap out of those ardent fans who watched the two classic James Cameron films (the "official" stories) were the total disregard and abuse of the use of time travel and the rules set up by Cameron in those films, the fact that in 1997 John Connor would have been 12 years old (not 15), they gave Sarah cancer again (like in the much loathed T3) and that they couldn't even put Sarah's shoulder wound from the T-1000 on the correct shoulder (it was the right, not the left). They could have easily fixed these problems.

For one, set it in 2007 at the outset and make him the correct 22 years old and just finishing community college or something like that under an assumed ID (he's a computer wiz, it wouldn't be that difficult to do). He wouldn't have to be still living with Sarah, just in the same vicinity to keep tabs on each other. Cameron could have been posing as another college student he bumps into.

That would have dropped the stupid reasoning for jumping from 1997 to 2007 for no apparent reason except, apparently, to have a time travel sequence to set up Sarah and the cancer plot. It would have eliminated Chromartie's metal head traveling through the vortex, which it shouldn't have been able to do. (Besides, how did no one from the bank demolition crew not have spotted an intact endoskeleton in the rubble??) They could have just given him the slip for a little while.

The tension would have been with John having to get back in close quarters with his less than perfect mother who thought of his upbringing more as a duty or task to perform than just a normal son to raise, and having his future plans and aspirations for a normal life cut short yet again because Skynet and JD were still in the picture. They'd have had plenty of opportunities for sexual tension between Cameron and John without adding the creepy Freudian element of her posing as his sister and getting between him and his "mommy." And yes, they did add to the Freud and Oedipal stuff in Season 2 (it was really not needed or wanted IMHO).

And they could have just dropped the cancer issue as it wasn't even handled very well (again, inconsistent) or with tact, delicacy, and compassion for such a heavy and personal subject. Similar to the writers' poor handling of the serious and real issues of teen suicide and underage sex with an adult in a position of trust, early in Season 1. It could have been used to raise awareness of the subject and as a "teaching moment" for Cameron, of all people, and to show she was taking some surprising yet tentative baby steps towards feelings of compassion for someone in pain and in need and helped the situation come to a better conclusion (in a very awkward Cameron-like way, of course). That would have been a very un-Terminator thing of her to do. After all, Cameron did say she was "different." And you could then begin to see why John could fall for a Terminator even if she did look like Summer Glau.

The other issues had to do with the over all character chemistry. It was getting good towards the end of Season 1 and then they went and shattered it with Season 2. By that time it was "game over, man, game over" for the show IMHO.

Cameron, the fan favorite, was not developed well at all (nor she and John's blooming feelings for each other... in an insane world, she was the sanest choice for John). She could have been an iconic character in the Terminator-verse, but half the time they didn't seem to know what to do with her. When she seemed to be growing and evolving and learning the art of being a decent enough "human-like" being (like "Uncle Bob" in T2 finding his heart, his curiosity, and his compassion for humans under John's prodding and guidance... not to mention John switching his chip to "learn" mode... James Cameron said it was like an act of love in setting the T-800's mind free), they'd pull the rug out from under her and make her a stone cold psycho killer. Like she was more of a pretty prop rather than a 3 dimensional character. She only got two decent episodes to shine in (which Summer seemed to voice in public in her very sweet and gentile sort of way).

Anyway, the show really frustrated me. It was very good in some parts, the actors were good, but then at other times it was all over the map.

In other words... inconsistent.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #4294 of 4319 Old 04-05-2011, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Don't really know what happened to John Henry...to me it didn't matter much. Perhaps he was supposed to be the first "skin-jobber"; chicken or egg?

I disagree. John Henry was fundamentally important to the story. It seems pretty clear that they were planning to completely re-write the mythology in Season 3 with the Cain & Abel and the liquid vs metal angles, and it would've been fun to watch. They were definitely muddying the waters with those two developments, but that makes sense given all the time travel on top of time travel on top of time travel.

As usual, the show gets cancelled just when it was getting interesting.
post #4295 of 4319 Old 04-09-2011, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
SyFy aired the first two episodes of season one last Thursday and I noted in the pilot Cameron mentioned the new judgement day date was April 19, 2011.
Coming up in just a little over a week!
post #4296 of 4319 Old 04-21-2011, 06:27 PM

Liked: 18
Wow, this show can't even catch a break in reruns...

Syfy Kicks "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" Reruns to the Curb
By Robert Seidman - April 21, 2011

Syfy acquired the rights to all 31 episodes of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles but is pulling the plug on the 4-5 hour blocks of them after only three weeks (including tonight's episodes) and will replace them with blocks of Star Trek: The Next Generation reruns beginning next Thursday.

Perhaps Syfy is trying to not be out sci-fied by BBC America which also airs Star Trek: TNG reruns and also just acquired the rights to air Syfy hit (from the SciFi days) Battlestar Galactica. Not to mention BBC America just announced a co-production deal on the UK version of Being Human, and of course BBCA will be airing Doctor Who's sixth season beginning with the premiere this Saturday.

Syfy also announced (via Twitter) that it was moving Sanctuary from Fridays to Mondays beginning Monday, April 25.
post #4297 of 4319 Old 04-21-2011, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Long live teh sw33t RiLeY-cAk3s!!!

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #4298 of 4319 Old 04-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post
SyFy aired the first two episodes of season one last Thursday and I noted in the pilot Cameron mentioned the new judgement day date was April 19, 2011.
Coming up in just a little over a week!
Odd, I could have sworn it was April 21, 2011.
post #4299 of 4319 Old 04-21-2011, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Skynet went online on 4/19 - it became self aware earlier today....
post #4300 of 4319 Old 04-22-2011, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 39
...in the data center of Amazon-dot-com, of all places!

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #4301 of 4319 Old 04-22-2011, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDSpazz View Post

Wow, this show can't even catch a break in reruns...

Syfy Kicks "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" Reruns to the Curb
By Robert Seidman – April 21, 2011

And they chose "Judgement Day" April 21, 2011 to announce this? A cruel joke!
It was shown in one of the episodes aired in a marathon on that day too!
post #4302 of 4319 Old 04-22-2011, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The greatest achievement of Skynet was, unbeknownst to humans, changing its name to Twitter.
post #4303 of 4319 Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Wow didn't realize BBC-America picked up BSG. Hope my provider gets it in HD before they start.
post #4304 of 4319 Old 04-22-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This show seems to have potential for a decent cult following. I've been catching lots of references to it here and there and in various and sundry places. It's a shame that SyFy dropped it, but they're not exactly known for their wise decisions in programming.
post #4305 of 4319 Old 04-23-2011, 02:44 AM
Advanced Member

Due to the fact that I have both seasons on Blu-ray, it doesn't bother me in the least that they aren't showing it on reruns. Once you seen a show on Blu, it's hard to even consider re-watching on broadcast.
post #4306 of 4319 Old 04-25-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I just found out that there are actually reality shows about pregnant teenagers. "16 and Pregnant" and "Teen Moms".

I just had to share, because knowing that shows like that persist while shows like this one get cancelled just made me reflect on society a bit.

XBL & PSN: Vcize

Hit me up on XBL if you're going to be playing CoD Ghosts or the PS Vita

post #4307 of 4319 Old 04-25-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL View Post

I just found out that there are actually reality shows about pregnant teenagers. "16 and Pregnant" and "Teen Moms".

You JUST found out?

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #4308 of 4319 Old 04-25-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 113
They can make those reality shows for a few thousand bucks per episode, while a serial program requires writers and a cast and.... well all those other things that cost big money.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #4309 of 4319 Old 04-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

In this case though, someone else has absorbed those costs, unless syndication costs too much for Syfy. Guess I'll have to pick the 2 seasons up on Blu-ray. Darn. Better PQ, extras and no commercials .

post #4310 of 4319 Old 04-25-2011, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Soon after I had already bought the DVD's the BR's appeared at around $30 per season, so I picked them up as well. Come to think of it, same thing happened on Dollhouse. Grrr... Arg!

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #4311 of 4319 Old 04-25-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancmjr View Post

In this case though, someone else has absorbed those costs, unless syndication costs too much for Syfy. Guess I'll have to pick the 2 seasons up on Blu-ray. Darn. Better PQ, extras and no commercials .

Don't expect great audio on the Blu-ray. Plain ol' lossy DD 5.1 (like all WB TV discs, except their premium priced HBO titles-- the only studio that uses lossy audio on their TV sets), and the sound mix is typical network television mixing: front-heavy and lacking in punch.

I saw the first episode of Game of Thrones on HBO and their series' sound mixes tend to be much more enveloping and closer to feature films... along with better cinematography, writing, etc. Band Of Brothers and The Pacific had audio quality almost up there with Saving Private Ryan!

Since I had issues with the series' overall writing quality, I waited until I could get them for 60% off on Amazon. At least it's Summer Glau in 1080p!!

post #4312 of 4319 Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I have given season 1 and 2 blu-rays as gifts in the past and every person that gets them raves over the show and loves it. I wonder why this bombed in the ratings so bad. The show was pretty good and a lot better then a lot of stuff on TV today.

post #4313 of 4319 Old 04-26-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDSpazz View Post

Perhaps Syfy is trying to not be out sci-fied by BBC America which also airs Star Trek: TNG reruns and also just acquired the rights to air Syfy “hit” (from the SciFi days) Battlestar Galactica. Not to mention BBC America just announced a co-production deal on the UK version of Being Human, and of course BBCA will be airing Doctor Who’s sixth season beginning with the premiere this Saturday.

Yes, it's sad to say that BBC America is now more legitimately the go-to channel for sci-fi programming than the former Sci Fi Channel.

But, realistically, how long could they keep up day long marathons of TSCC? It only ran for a full season plus 10 episodes. TNG has nearly 200 episodes. They can almost run 4 episodes a week without a repeat for an entire year. TSCC wouldn't last a month without resorting to repeats.
post #4314 of 4319 Old 04-26-2011, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I have given season 1 and 2 blu-rays as gifts in the past and every person that gets them raves over the show and loves it. I wonder why this bombed in the ratings so bad. The show was pretty good and a lot better then a lot of stuff on TV today.

Inconsistent Storyline perhaps.
post #4315 of 4319 Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Friday night on Fox is the graveyard of TV shows. Fringe is barely hanging on by it's fingernails on Fridays. I liked Dollhouse but putting it on Friday night was a death sentence before it even started.
post #4316 of 4319 Old 04-26-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post
Inconsistent Storyline perhaps.
That and the fact that it didn't "feel" like Terminator with a lack of real suspense, danger, and action... and they took major liberties with the characters and plot lines and rules of time travel, especially those that were created by James Cameron.

This John Connor was the wrong age and a real do-nothing. They even destroyed the chemistry between him and Cameron in Season 2. Heck, the chemistry was completely off on just about all of the characters after the foreshortened Season 1. Lena Heady, who played Sarah Conner, seemed disappointed as well.

They seemed to focus on death (themes of suicide had a strong undercurrent); that everyone dies and you can't really do anything about it. That machines can never be trusted and will always disappoint you, etc.

This was not the intent of Mr. Cameron's Terminator story. If you read his comments over the years about the plot, it just reinforces what you saw in the two movies. It was about hope, love, and finally redemption. A remorseless killing machine (Death itself) could be better and more noble than some uncaring and thoughtless humans and could learn to value life with patience, kindness and friendship, and a lot of guidance. Killing is wrong, war is wrong. And then it could find its heart and learn to love its enemy.

They IMHO did almost the exact opposite with the TV show.

I even brought some of these big inconsistencies with the first two movies up with one of the writers on another forum during the show's run and his response was basically "I don't care." Kinda flip if you ask me.

post #4317 of 4319 Old 05-09-2011, 04:54 PM

According to my DirecTV schedule, Syfy is showing the remaining episodes on Thursday, May 19.
post #4318 of 4319 Old 05-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

Yes, it's sad to say that BBC America is now more legitimately the go-to channel for sci-fi programming than the former Sci Fi Channel.

But, realistically, how long could they keep up day long marathons of TSCC? It only ran for a full season plus 10 episodes. TNG has nearly 200 episodes. They can almost run 4 episodes a week without a repeat for an entire year. TSCC wouldn't last a month without resorting to repeats.

Thank the Gods for BBCA! They are the only go to channel for adult Sci Fi.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #4319 of 4319 Old 05-10-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

While this is true, BBCA is not showing all 200 episodes of TNG.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page