post #61 of 67 Old 09-02-2007, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bars&Tone View Post

Occasional AVS threads aside, does anyone know of any message boards out there geared specifically toward television broadcast engineering and/or the operations/MC side of the business?

No, the MCO's are too busy fending off the news department; taking calls from irate viewers who want to know why the HD switch wasn't flipped, dubbing spots, taking satellite feeds,eating,and talking on their cell phones.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 09-02-2007, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

No, the MCO's are too busy fending off the news department; taking calls from irate viewers who want to know why the HD switch wasn't flipped, dubbing spots, taking satellite feeds,eating,and talking on their cell phones.

He is new around here!

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #63 of 67 Old 09-02-2007, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Late to the forum as usual. I'm in postproduction. I work in Philadelphia for a great facility. I'm a telecine colorist, which means I transfer film to tape, tweaking the color in the process to the whims of the Director of Photography, Director, Art Director and/or agency creatives. And while we still transfer a lot of film, we also apply our color enhancement to skills to video originated material as well.

The job has evolved since I began almost thirty years ago. When I started, the venerable Rank Cintel MkIII telecine was just hitting its stride. We only did color balancing, or primary color correction back then. In the eighties we became able to tweak the hues and saturations of the six colors you see in color bars; this was secondary color correction. The nineties saw the use of "window" technology, allowing us to "dodge and burn" in real time to bring out one or more sections of a frame. This decade, nonlinear systems are emerging for color correction and the workflow is rapidly changing.

I've simplified things a bit, but it's a wonderful, creative job. Crazy hours, but very rewarding work.

Aibohphobia: The fear of palindromes
post #64 of 67 Old 09-02-2007, 07:51 PM

Liked: 10
Late, also....due to days on the road as a freelance video engineer (primarily for ESPN). Very interested in comments about productions I'm involved in as well as other productions which appear on the network I associate myself with......

Sometimes proud....Sometimes embarrassed... What else is new?
post #65 of 67 Old 09-04-2007, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
www.radio-info.com has several forums on engineering, production, etc. Mostly radio-oriented, though.

I know there are several more....

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #66 of 67 Old 09-04-2007, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari View Post

Rest assured we pay attention to the postings on this forum. If we did post here we'd say we were interested in your feedback on our HD offerings.

Picture quality is a tough one because you can't see what the cable/sat company is doing to our original signals, but what about audio?

I, as a techy guy who loves playing with and watching HD, wish that all of the (usually minor) problems with synchronization of audio and video would disappear; it is sometimes like watching a foreign film dubbed in English. What gets me is the apparent lack of closed captions on HD broadcasts ... sound issue?

Quote:

Some of us are simulating surround sound from stereo--can you tell the difference?

I've not found enough content where there was sound quality about which to be concerned.
Quote:

And what about aspect ratios? Clearly the non-linear stretch is not a favorite with forum members, but what would you rather see for upconverted content? Yes, we will need to live with upconverts for the foreseeable future, until there is more HD content produced for our libraries. As time passes, there will be more and more true HD content. How about upconverted SD letterbox?

I'd like to see the aspect ratio be preserved as created, a circle being a circle. Most receivers I've seen allow stretching or scaling to fill a screen if desired, but don't allow correcting a transmitted "correction". If content is in 2.35:1 or whatever, I'd like to see it remain so with the full, as created, frame available.

Quote:

There's no aspect distortion on HD. Can you always tell the difference between this and content produced in HD?

Assuming "this" is non-linear scaling or cutting or pan and scan, no I cannot always tell it. Filling the screen is nice, but I'd rather make the decision myself. Now with 2.35:1 content, no 16:9 screen will be full, but I can cut edges and scale up ...
post #67 of 67 Old 02-01-2013, 07:01 PM

I'm a volunteer for a non-profit Roman Catholic station.

I'm not a technician.

I've been doing a bit of research on metadata, epg, ipg technology. It took me awhile to learn that these are the names of the technology that is involved when a viewer pushes the INFO button on his/her clicker or when one goes online to look at a tv guide.

Does this capability cost money for a broadcast station to use? Or is it paid for by tv guide?

How is this technology tapped into?

Can anybody help me?

Thanks!
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page