post #3601 of 3628 Old 05-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Hmm, they're charging me for my one and only cable card. I need to give them a call.

This is all I can find of their written policy:
Nothing about the first card being free. Maybe you just go lucky?

If you are paying for a package that includes a cable box in the price, you can replace that box with a cablecard for free. The FCC requires cable companies to do this so it is not just a Charter rule.
sheshechic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3628 Old 05-21-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 279
So does "Select" include a box in the price? Their rate sheet says a "standard digital receiver" is free, but a HD or DVR box is $5. If I don't take their free digital receiver, I should get a free card then?
post #3603 of 3628 Old 05-21-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I believe that there is zero charge for your first box, and then a charge for each box thereafter. If you don't have one of their boxes, then your first cable card should be free. I have two cable cards on my account and only pay for one.
Hmm, they're charging me for my one and only cable card. I need to give them a call.

This is all I can find of their written policy:
Quote:
CableCARD customers subscribing to any service package in which Charter leased equipment is included in the package price, may receive a discounted price, reduced by an amount equal to/greater than the fee for such equipment not leased from Charter. We lease CableCARDs for $2.00 per month per CableCARD for use in customer-owned retail CableCARD-ready devices.

Nothing about the first card being free. Maybe you just go lucky?

The first box is free, right? That is the first cable card. If you don't have one of their boxes, then the first cable card in your third party device should be free too. That's essentially what the first sentence is saying too.

post #3604 of 3628 Old 05-21-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So does "Select" include a box in the price? Their rate sheet says a "standard digital receiver" is free, but a HD or DVR box is $5. If I don't take their free digital receiver, I should get a free card then?

Essentially, yes. In areas that have gone all digital, you can't get service without a stb, so the first is free. If your area has not yet switched, then it still should be free, but when they do switch they'll offer you a free stb. I called and verified that I would not see any additional charges on my bill. They confirmed that the box is free for 1 year. So I took it in case I want to watch On Demand. You cannot get On Demand with a cable card.

post #3605 of 3628 Old 05-22-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I called and could not convince them. They said my plan/promo included no boxes. Maybe if I'd played my cards differently when the upgrade first happened 6 months ago I could have gotten a free card.

Oh well, it's only $2. Thanks for the heads up anyway.
post #3606 of 3628 Old 05-22-2014, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I called and could not convince them. They said my plan/promo included no boxes. Maybe if I'd played my cards differently when the upgrade first happened 6 months ago I could have gotten a free card.

Oh well, it's only $2. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

Has your area gone all digital yet?

post #3607 of 3628 Old 05-23-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Has your area gone all digital yet?
Yeah, our analog cutoff happened months ago. I was stuck in another promo and had no analog TVs anyway, so I didn't do anything at the time. I probably should have asked for a free box or card back then when I had the chance. I can live with $2.
post #3608 of 3628 Old 05-27-2014, 09:12 AM

Liked: 14
Got my all digital letter on Saturday. Our date is June 24.
post #3609 of 3628 Old 06-11-2014, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Had a tech out today because I added TV service again and CableCARD wouldn't activate. The phone reps failed to realize there was a block at my box from when I disconnected last time, lol. The tech was very friendly and knowledgeable. Fixed the box, fixed some signal strength issues in my office,and got the CableCARD to work right away. Way quicker than when I have helped friends get setup in the past.

He went the extra mile and cleaned up all the wires in my utility closet and installed a nice, expensive looking powered coax splitter that he said had nearly zero signal loss. He also installed a new modem for me since mine (a Motorola 6120) only has 4 channel bonding, and the Cisco ones they are providing for free have 8 channel bonding. He said our area should be getting upgraded to 60 Mbps around September. All in all, a great experience.
post #3610 of 3628 Old 06-11-2014, 10:17 PM

Ugh, HGTV has the 29/59 bug really bad and it is the main reason I got cable again.

My Core i3 HTPC with an HD6670 doesn't seem to mind it, but my Core i3 laptop (Sandy Bridge) and my other Core i3 HTPC (Ivy Bridge) both have a terrible screen flicker, especially on HGTV and especially with bright backgrounds. I have tried the bad desktop with both the integrated Intel HD graphics as well as with an HD6450 card. I am trying a fresh Windows install now to see if that helps. I have heard the 6450 usually works if you get the right driver.

I know it must be the WMC 29/59 bug because in the 411-info screen it jumps back and forth between the two rates, and it only stutters when tuned in WMC. If I tune the channel in the HDHomerun QuickTV software it plays back fine. This is really annoying me and might make me choose to just say screw it and cancel again if I can't get it figured out.

Anyone else had this problem and solved it?
post #3611 of 3628 Old 06-12-2014, 03:46 AM

I seem to have fixed it on the laptop by turning off Adaptive Contrast in the Intel display settings. It makes everything really picky about any changes when watching though, such as going from full screen to windowed. If I do anything like that the screen gets all weird and shimmery unless I close WMC completely and restart it.

I seem to have fixed the HTPC with a different HD6450 card I had (I think the other one was bad) and a fresh install. Going to hold off judgment for now until later today, as HGTV was playing infomercials overnight that were not doing the 29/59 thing. USA was though, and everything seemed to be good, so my fingers are crossed.
post #3612 of 3628 Old 06-17-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 165
I've been having issues of late with my TA staying active while using a HDHR Prime tuner. Anybody else noticing this?

post #3613 of 3628 Old 06-17-2014, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
I've been having issues of late with my TA staying active while using a HDHR Prime tuner. Anybody else noticing this?
No problems on my TiVos. If the TA ever goes offline, I get a prompt that doesn't disappear until I dismiss it. I haven't seen such a message in many months.
post #3614 of 3628 Old 06-17-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When I switched my TV plan to a Spectrum one recently, my TA would no longer connect. Turns out they accidentally removed it from my account. Since they put it back, it's been solid. Doesn't sound like your issue, but could be a possibility. I've got a Moto TA and Ceton tuner.

I've also heard of HDHRP power supplies flaking out. So see if a different power supply helps.
post #3615 of 3628 Old 06-17-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I've got Cisco and the HDHR Prime. All the non protected channels are tuning just fine, just the copy protected ones seem to suffer from not having a TA available. I'll try a new power supply and see if that cleans it up. I even swapped out the TA and had everything paired for a few days then it went back again. They've sent the hits and all that too. I thought it was maybe the all digital roll out but am not sure. I don't think that Spectrum One is available here in SoCal??

post #3616 of 3628 Old 06-17-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^
Just "Spectrum". Same old Silver package, different price and different name. But enough of a change that they dropped the TA off my account, until I eventually noticed weeks later (not many channels in my area are on SDV). It's rolling out nationwide in phases.

The all digital roll-out did screw up other things in my area. There was one particular frequency that essentially stopped working, affecting a handful of channels. After a couple of months (and many, many angry calls from me), they finally fixed it by doing something in the box that feeds my neighborhood. So it is conceivable that this change has affected something related to your TA's ability to maintain its connection. Unfortunately, that's going to be really hard to get them to diagnose correctly and fix.

All that being said, could also be a flaky USB cable, HDHRP failure of some kind, WMC issue, who knows. You'll just have to keep troubleshooting step by step.
post #3617 of 3628 Old 06-17-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I changed out the USB cable. I'll try the power supply next. After that, I'll be all over Charter again to fix it. I have not had much time to mess with it lately..

post #3618 of 3628 Old 06-18-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I updated to the 06042014 s/w and f/w and rebooted the system, including the T.A. but not the HTPC or any other computer using WMC to tune TV for that matter and the problem seems to be fixed. In addition to this I found that my guide data wasn't refreshing properly and I had to go through the TV set up steps in WMC again. I am 100% positive that Charter's recent switch to all digital in my area is what caused this to occur. I just hope it sticks and the T.A. stays initialized from this point forward.

post #3619 of 3628 Old 06-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I updated to the 06042014 s/w and f/w and rebooted the system, including the T.A. but not the HTPC or any other computer using WMC to tune TV for that matter and the problem seems to be fixed. In addition to this I found that my guide data wasn't refreshing properly and I had to go through the TV set up steps in WMC again. I am 100% positive that Charter's recent switch to all digital in my area is what caused this to occur. I just hope it sticks and the T.A. stays initialized from this point forward.
Cisco tuning adapters tend to have the most issues (compared to the Motorola ones). Charter has been having to deal with updating the firmware in them over the last year or so as they have had so many issues.
Alan G. likes this.
post #3620 of 3628 Old 06-29-2014, 08:36 AM

Liked: 10
Found out from my local office that the Duluth, MN area will be going all digital on August 12th. I'm excited for more HD channels and faster internet speeds, but does this also mean that recordings will be marked copy once? How will this effect a roamio, mini and streaming setup?
post #3621 of 3628 Old 06-29-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibelievein93x View Post
Found out from my local office that the Duluth, MN area will be going all digital on August 12th. I'm excited for more HD channels and faster internet speeds, but does this also mean that recordings will be marked copy once? How will this effect a roamio, mini and streaming setup?
Each system might be different, but... I've just discovered that not only is nothing marked copy once, but also that there seem to be no copy blocks set up at all. I've been able to transfer recordings to hard drive that I couldn't before, so far Starz new movies have transferred and played. I'm going to try the same with movies from HBO shortly. I'm using Tivo Roamio Pro and an XL4 with kmttg.

post #3622 of 3628 Old 06-29-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 220
^^^^^ saw your post and just had to stop by and say "hi"
post #3623 of 3628 Old 06-29-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
^^^^^ saw your post and just had to stop by and say "hi"

Hi! Happy early 4th of July! I hope the weather is being kind to you.

post #3624 of 3628 Old 06-29-2014, 07:02 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
great news, any word on when Minneapolis, MN area, buffalo office will be going all digital.
post #3625 of 3628 Old 06-30-2014, 04:20 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo4571 View Post
great news, any word on when Minneapolis, MN area, buffalo office will be going all digital.
No, my guess is it will be around the same time. If you go into your local office and ask them, they can tell you for sure.
post #3626 of 3628 Old 06-30-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I'm planning on downgrading our service to just basic. Do anyone know if Charter offers "limited basic", which is different than basic?

Regular basic includes several cable only channels, but ltd basic typically only includes what you can get with an antenna. Like most cable co's, if Charter does offer it, there's no clue on their web site.

As to the TA, we have the Cisco TA, and usually have to reboot it every two to three months. Otherwise we get signal break ups on most channels.

And in L.A., Charter "protected" most channels that are not locally broadcast several months ago. Any recordings with the "protected" indicator cannot be played on any other device than the one it was recorded on, with the exception of Xbox extenders.

Damn it Chloe, we're running out of time. Use the not a computer device!
post #3627 of 3628 Old 06-30-2014, 05:50 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
No, my guess is it will be around the same time. If you go into your local office and ask them, they can tell you for sure.
yea that's what I was thinking, office is 20 miles away so visiting is a little bit of a project and they don't have a local number to call.
post #3628 of 3628 Old 07-01-2014, 09:38 AM

Liked: 14
We went all digital on June 24. Got letters in the mail about a month prior telling us we had to get a box if we didn't already have one, and our new HD channel line up.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page