Charter HDTV - Page 122 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 07-24-2014, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Today, Time-Warner and Brighthouse signed on for the SEC Network. That leaves Charter and DirecTV as the lone major holdouts. Come on, Charter!!! What are you waiting for?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBarclay View Post
Today, Time-Warner and Brighthouse signed on for the SEC Network. That leaves Charter and DirecTV as the lone major holdouts. Come on, Charter!!! What are you waiting for?????
Charter doesn't care what customers want. How many years has Charter been without NBA TV? They will hold out as long as possible.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Wow I sure miss the UMatter2Charter team.

My credit card had some fraud on it, so I called in to switch my autopay info. I made sure to ask the guy very clearly several times whether this would be in effect for July's payment and he assured me it was. Sure enough, the payment isn't processed and I get a bill with a late fee.

Should be easy to fix right? Just call in and talk to someone and explain what happened. Nope, I call in and she tells me it wouldn't have changed for that month's payment and asks me to pay the past due balance without even mentioning crediting the late fee. I ask her to do so, and then she asks me when I had even called in. Good thing I noted it in my spreadsheet of bills. She then says that he didn't note that I had asked about that upcoming bill, but that he had noted that he "educated me" on autopay, lmao. She can't credit the late fee, she has to send it to some special department. Furthermore, they wouldn't even follow up with me. They would just credit the $7.95 on my next bill if they decided to do so.

Good thing I worked a long time in call center and understood that she probably has no power whatsoever or I wouldn't have been able to remain so calm. They better not give me some bs about not having a recording of the call or something and then refuse to credit it. I should already be sending them a bill for wasting way more than $7.95 of my time.

With UMatter2Charter all it would have taken was a quick pm and it would have been taken care of.

/rant
Old 08-01-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Via Charter's facebook page on July 30: "We have a deal that we are finalizing with ESPN and we will have the SEC Network on Charter by August 14th." They really have no choice to carry it, but can't fault them too much for trying to negotiate with ESPN's ridiculous subscriber fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post
Charter doesn't care what customers want. How many years has Charter been without NBA TV? They will hold out as long as possible.
Sadly I agree. They charge premium prices but aren't delivering premium services. Charter has always been behind a lot of others in delivering channels, and then later adding them in HD. They claim the new "Spectrum" service is going to catch them up and even surpass other cable and satellite providers. We'll see. They are already several months behind in switching over in my area, and now say it will be November. So I'm expecting it sometime next year, maybe.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1269 View Post
Sadly I agree. They charge premium prices but aren't delivering premium services. Charter has always been behind a lot of others in delivering channels, and then later adding them in HD. They claim the new "Spectrum" service is going to catch them up and even surpass other cable and satellite providers. We'll see. They are already several months behind in switching over in my area, and now say it will be November. So I'm expecting it sometime next year, maybe.
I think it will be worth the wait. After the analog shut down and Spectrum in our market, Charter now has far more HD channels than any other provider and much lower prices. Plus their internet speed is double what it was, with no price increase. So my bill went down, and I got a lot more. In just a few short years, Charter has gone from one of the worst companies in the nation to a top notch provider.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
SEC network

Quote:
I don think that Comcast or Verizon has signed on yet.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I think it will be worth the wait. After the analog shut down and Spectrum in our market, Charter now has far more HD channels than any other provider and much lower prices. Plus their internet speed is double what it was, with no price increase. So my bill went down, and I got a lot more. In just a few short years, Charter has gone from one of the worst companies in the nation to a top notch provider.
Here in the Atlanta market we got the Spectrum upgrade a few weeks ago, so far, yes many more channels except they are more spread out and favorites are hard to find. I wish they could get rid of the "this channel has moved" nonsense but once I get used to it I think i am going to like it.
A.F.A. internet speeds and modems, etc. I have bought my modems since 1999 when an RCA model went for $200.00. I figured break even was about two and a half years, and then on to a Motorola Surfboard, and finally, they sent me one for free, Cisco I think. My bill has not gone down but I am bundling phone, internet, and the package that used to be Gold but now is Spectrum, pretty much every premium I could ask for for $210 a month. It's expensive but we use it, I haven't yet noticed a doubling of internet speeds however but consistently hit 30M.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3662895123
Old 08-01-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post
I don think that Comcast or Verizon has signed on yet.
Comcast signed on a few weeks ago. Verizon has not. Both Charter and DirecTV SAY they've reached a basic agreement with SEC Network--though neither has finalized or OFFICIALLY announced the deal yet. Why, I don't know!
Old 08-01-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post
Here in the Atlanta market we got the Spectrum upgrade a few weeks ago, so far, yes many more channels except they are more spread out and favorites are hard to find. I wish they could get rid of the "this channel has moved" nonsense but once I get used to it I think i am going to like it.
A.F.A. internet speeds and modems, etc. I have bought my modems since 1999 when an RCA model went for $200.00. I figured break even was about two and a half years, and then on to a Motorola Surfboard, and finally, they sent me one for free, Cisco I think. My bill has not gone down but I am bundling phone, internet, and the package that used to be Gold but now is Spectrum, pretty much every premium I could ask for for $210 a month. It's expensive but we use it, I haven't yet noticed a doubling of internet speeds however but consistently hit 30M.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3662895123
The "Spectrum" upgrade (with faster internet) isn't supposed to hit Atlanta until Monday (8/4) -- at least that's what a TV ad I saw a few weeks ago said. That's when we should see internet speeds double.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The "Spectrum" upgrade (with faster internet) isn't supposed to hit Atlanta until Monday (8/4) -- at least that's what a TV ad I saw a few weeks ago said. That's when we should see internet speeds double.
Ah, ok, perhaps we are in a bit of transition then. I assumed since my channel lineup had changed we were fully implemented.
Thanks, I'll be rerunning my speed test on the 4th.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Comcast signed on a few weeks ago. Verizon has not. Both Charter and DirecTV SAY they've reached a basic agreement with SEC Network--though neither has finalized or OFFICIALLY announced the deal yet. Why, I don't know!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...able/13362605/
Old 08-01-2014, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Ah, ok, perhaps we are in a bit of transition then. I assumed since my channel lineup had changed we were fully implemented.
Thanks, I'll be rerunning my speed test on the 4th.
The internet upgrade usually is not finalized for a few months. We got upgraded on for digital on July 22nd. I've seen 60 mbs once, they are testing........ but full implantation in my area won't happen until the fall.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I hope you're right. I've waited a long time for Charter to add several channels. They are really lacking in sports.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronnie View Post
Wow I sure miss the UMatter2Charter team.

My credit card had some fraud on it, so I called in to switch my autopay info. I made sure to ask the guy very clearly several times whether this would be in effect for July's payment and he assured me it was. Sure enough, the payment isn't processed and I get a bill with a late fee.

Should be easy to fix right? Just call in and talk to someone and explain what happened. Nope, I call in and she tells me it wouldn't have changed for that month's payment and asks me to pay the past due balance without even mentioning crediting the late fee. I ask her to do so, and then she asks me when I had even called in. Good thing I noted it in my spreadsheet of bills. She then says that he didn't note that I had asked about that upcoming bill, but that he had noted that he "educated me" on autopay, lmao. She can't credit the late fee, she has to send it to some special department. Furthermore, they wouldn't even follow up with me. They would just credit the $7.95 on my next bill if they decided to do so.

Good thing I worked a long time in call center and understood that she probably has no power whatsoever or I wouldn't have been able to remain so calm. They better not give me some bs about not having a recording of the call or something and then refuse to credit it. I should already be sending them a bill for wasting way more than $7.95 of my time.

With UMatter2Charter all it would have taken was a quick pm and it would have been taken care of.

/rant
Well, if you're a patient person, you could call them and tell them you want to remove one of your channels or tiers, and tell them exactly why. Maybe they'll remove the charge. Then, next month, add it back, and catch up on whatever shows through VOD.

Quote:
Did your upload speed change too?
Old 08-03-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Well, if you're a patient person, you could call them and tell them you want to remove one of your channels or tiers, and tell them exactly why. Maybe they'll remove the charge. Then, next month, add it back, and catch up on whatever shows through VOD.

Did your upload speed change too?
I think it went from 3 to 4 meg. There are rumors of a huge upload speed increase coming soon.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Gronnie;26021650]

Quote:
I think it went from 3 to 4 meg. There are rumors of a huge upload speed increase coming soon.

I called several weeks ago to inquire about something else, and during the call the CSR mentioned that we were still on an old Internet package. He offered to change us to the current one, which would increase our download speed from 10 to 30, forabout $2/month more.

Of course, I went for it. Our old upload speed was 3, now it's 4.

He told me that they were going to double the download speed to 60 "soon", but I neglected to ask about upload.

I want to know because I started using Media Browser 3 earlier this year, and I can let family stream my collection of movies with it. But 4 down will limit the quality for them. I'd like to see at least 6 or 7 up.

Charter only offers two packages for home users: 30/4 and 100/5. Since they'll be doubling us to 60 anyway, there's no reason to pay for 100 down just to get 1Mbps more up.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:24 PM

Plus the fact that they charge almost $200 to "activate" (ie push a button) 100 down.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Is there anywhere to check when a particular area is getting Spectrum?

How does the re-arrangement of service areas with TWC, Comcast and Charter effect this change? I believe I'm getting shuffled off to Comcast, something I'm not too excited about but don't really have a say in the matter.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
I believe I'm getting shuffled off to Comcast, something I'm not too excited about but don't really have a say in the matter.
Oh, come on... Everyone knows "Your vote counts"! Them there politicians is working for you!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

I did another speed test today, not double but a marked improvement from 31M.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3672189996
Old 08-06-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did another speed test today, not double but a marked improvement from 31M.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3672189996
I hope it goes up. That's nice, but far from what they've promised. And upload is still only 4. Not good for Plex and Media Browser users.

Damn it Chloe, we're running out of time. Use the not a computer device!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:32 PM

Right. 30 --> 60 is nice but 4 --> 10+ would be WAY WAY WAY nicer.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not a plex user so upload speeds really aren't that important to me. All I want is uninterrupted Amazon and Netflix streaming. This is my speed over WI FI:

Check out my Ookla Speedtest result. What's your speed? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/918767522
Old 08-07-2014, 03:40 PM

Speedtest.net selected server:
Charter's own server:

If someone offered my 200 down and 4 up or 30 down and 30 up right now I would snap take the 30:30
Old 08-08-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Me too. Aside from Plex and Media Browser, I would love to see if the increase in upload would make a difference in my weekly Skype video calls.

When I went from 10 down to 30 down, I didn't notice any difference in web page loading or uTorrent speeds. I don't expect to see a difference when they go to 60 down either.

However, I'm hoping to do more cloud back ups if they ever raise the up speed.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:52 PM

I would love to be able to use one of the online unlimited cloud backups but at 4 Mb/s it would take years to backup 14+ TB.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I had a service call at the house a couple of days ago and they mentioned that our area would be switching to spectrum on September 9th. Currently I am getting good download speeds ranging from 37 to 47 down, but upload speeds are rarely reching 1 meg. I just had it installed last month and I believe they said I was supposed to be getting 30:4 speeds. I hope once spectrum is live we seem some increases to up speed, does anyone know what the spectrum up speed will be?

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
Old 08-13-2014, 08:23 AM

Our area got updated to Spectrum last week. While download speeds are now over 60 megs, uploads really haven't changed. They average over 4 megs for me.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Yep, Spectrum is 60/4.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Old 08-13-2014, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Our area got updated to Spectrum last week. While download speeds are now over 60 megs, uploads really haven't changed. They average over 4 megs for me.
Have had 60/4 for quite a while here. With so much stuff being saved to the Cloud, I wish they'd make it about 60/10.