AVS Forum banner

Charter HDTV

362K views 4K replies 283 participants last post by  met_fan 
#1 ·
Does anyone know when Charter plans on adding more HD channels? I'm moving and have to decide to get Charter or D* tv or dish.

#3,053 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/903396/charter-hdtv/3030#post_22544411

787 and 788 showed up last night. Looks like I'll be watching the Lakers tonight. Oh Yeah!

Well that didn't go so well. I spent the first half getting my Tuning Resolver Re-synched but it is all working well now except for the Lakers.

BTW, this was via chat support, IDK if I got lucky or if Charter has in fact trained more people on how to deal with CabeCARD and Tuning Resolver issues. That said my HDHR Pirme has been working well for several months and is working well again. I wonder if the addition of these additional channels to the line-up screwed it up?

#3,054 ·
Thanks for the info.

Mylan, I think you got your numbers backwards. The high values should be down and the low numbers should be up

#3,058 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo  /t/903396/charter-hdtv/3030#post_22551707

@Umatter2Charter:

How much is installation of just internet these days?

Hi mrvideo,

Brand new installs are discounted to $19.99. If you are adding Internet to an existing account, the install is discounted to $29.99. There may be some markets where this does not apply, but from what I've seen, this is pretty much standard across the board. Did you have any other questions? Feel free to PM us with some account information and we'll be happy to take a closer look.

Thanks,

Abby

#3,059 ·
Interesting, you'd think that existing account would get a cheap price as well, considering that the cable to the property is already there.

But, in my case, it would be a new installation that I'm currently mulling over. Plus, if it happens, it won't be until Jan, as I'll be gone most of Dec and early Jan. Not worth spending money for service I won't be using.

#3,060 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo  /t/903396/charter-hdtv/3060#post_22552078

Interesting, you'd think that existing account would get a cheap price as well, considering that the cable to the property is already there.

But, in my case, it would be a new installation that I'm currently mulling over. Plus, if it happens, it won't be until Jan, as I'll be gone most of Dec and early Jan. Not worth spending money for service I won't be using.

Understandable, feel free to PM us if you need any help with your new account down the road. We are always happy to help.

Thank you,

Abby

#3,062 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoejoe  /t/903396/charter-hdtv/3060#post_22558619

Umatter2Charter:

I just ordered a Silicon Dust Home Run Prime cable card tuner. Are cable cards normally in stock at local offices ( mine is Gardnerville, NV 89410)? Can I install it myself with your help or is a truck roll required?

Congrats on your purchase
You can definitely get a cable card self installation kit from your local office, which includes the necessary support document to complete the installation. If you have any issues or questions, please send us a private message with the cable card serial number, cable card host and data ID's and we'll jump into your account and assist however we can.

Thank you,

Steve

#3,063 ·
Thanks! Since I ordered it from woot.com, It will probably take at least a week to get here. They are notoriously slow on their shipping. Once I get it, I'll pick one up from my local office and PM you if I have any problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter  /t/903396/charter-hdtv/3060#post_22559500

Congrats on your purchase
You can definitely get a cable card self installation kit from your local office, which includes the necessary support document to complete the installation. If you have any issues or questions, please send us a private message with the cable card serial number, cable card host and data ID's and we'll jump into your account and assist however we can.

Thank you,

Steve

#3,065 ·
I had some issues with CopyONce content when the TWCSportschannel was added last week after months of great up time. I got on chat support and got my card "hit" by them and it worked again but I missed the first half of the game. I was leary that they could pull it off but they did. Of course this isn't an initial pairing but still the got it done.

Reactions: tahoejoe
#3,066 ·
umatter2charter are there major changes going on in Texas now? I noticed that Fort Worth Texas and the surrounding surburbs have digital simulcast is this to be able to deploy all digital cable boxes and or DTA's? Also is the entire system for fort worth going to be getting the 100Mbit tier including the outskirts?

#3,067 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin120  /t/903396/charter-hdtv/3060#post_22566468

umatter2charter are there major changes going on in Texas now? I noticed that Fort Worth Texas and the surrounding surburbs have digital simulcast is this to be able to deploy all digital cable boxes and or DTA's? Also is the entire system for fort worth going to be getting the 100Mbit tier including the outskirts?

Hi kevin120,

I have reached out to local marketing to see what I can find out. Ft. Worth is showing speeds of up to 100Mbps. Could you send me a PM with the outskirts that you speak of?

Thanks,

Abby

#3,068 ·
Hi kevin120,

Thanks again for your inquiry! Charter has plans to go all digital, and you’ll hear more as all digital comes to your neighborhood. We look forward to providing you with the latest technology; supporting the launch of more Digital and HD programming; and delivering a high-quality Digital picture to maximize your viewing experience.

I have also verified that Ft. Worth and the outskirt areas listed below are showing speeds of up to 100 Mbps.

Granbury Texas

Cleburne Texas

Weatherford Texas

Glenrose Texas

Mansfield Texas

Burleson Texas

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us.

Thanks,

Abby

#3,069 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter  /t/903396/charter-hdtv/3060#post_22566891

Hi kevin120,

Thanks again for your inquiry! Charter has plans to go all digital, and you’ll hear more as all digital comes to your neighborhood. We look forward to providing you with the latest technology; supporting the launch of more Digital and HD programming; and delivering a high-quality Digital picture to maximize your viewing experience.

I have also verified that Ft. Worth and the outskirt areas listed below are showing speeds of up to 100 Mbps.

Granbury Texas

Cleburne Texas

Weatherford Texas

Glenrose Texas

Mansfield Texas

Burleson Texas

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us.

Thanks,

Abby

Umatter2Charter are all of the Texas system being setup to go all digital? I know that there about two or three systems in Texas that need total overhauls of the actual cable tv gear from the headend to the tap and I am assuming charter has plans to complete the upgrade to allow for more bandwidth along with an all digital transition? I know that Charter had been doing work in the Waxahachie Texas system where they were replacing old amplifiers and adding battery backup power supplies on the the telephone poles and replacing the old nodes so I am guessing that charter plans on having the 100Mbit tier in the Waxahachie Texas system in 2013 after they overhaul the rest of the system and go all digital?

#3,070 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin120  /t/903396/charter-hdtv/3060#post_22567694

Umatter2Charter are all of the Texas system being setup to go all digital? I know that there about two or three systems in Texas that need total overhauls of the actual cable tv gear from the headend to the tap and I am assuming charter has plans to complete the upgrade to allow for more bandwidth along with an all digital transition? I know that Charter had been doing work in the Waxahachie Texas system where they were replacing old amplifiers and adding battery backup power supplies on the the telephone poles and replacing the old nodes so I am guessing that charter plans on having the 100Mbit tier in the Waxahachie Texas system in 2013 after they overhaul the rest of the system and go all digital?

Good afternoon,

We do plan to upgrade many of our systems to an all digital platform. As you stated in many areas this will require quite a bit of upgrades so we don't have a specific timeline as to when that may happen for each area. You can rest assured though that as we ready our systems we will notify our customers that this change will be taking effect so they can be prepared prior to launching all digital systems.

If we can help with anything in the future regarding your account specifically, please send us a private message. I will be sure Abby sees your latest posts.

Steve

#3,071 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter  /t/903396/charter-hdtv/3060#post_22569103

Good afternoon,

We do plan to upgrade many of our systems to an all digital platform. As you stated in many areas this will require quite a bit of upgrades so we don't have a specific timeline as to when that may happen for each area. You can rest assured though that as we ready our systems we will notify our customers that this change will be taking effect so they can be prepared prior to launching all digital systems.

If we can help with anything in the future regarding your account specifically, please send us a private message. I will be sure Abby sees your latest posts.

Steve

I really would personally like know if someone could find out from engineering in the Waxahachie Texas system if they are indeed doing upgrades as we speak because I think it doesn't look good that all of the other major towns in the area that I live in have HD channels and a better lineup. I almost feel like they got left behind in the early 2000s era of digital cable. and from now on it will be PMs. But it would be nice if marketing could reach out to a field tech to see if they are doing major infrastructure upgrades in the 75165 as I have seen some things changed and I fear that all of the work won't be finished and eventually the system will be sold off. I personally have family that live in the Waxahachie Texas area and I live in a Time Warner Cable area and I have been trying to find something about the upgrades in the 75165 zip code I kept being told 2012 and then it is unknown when changes will be completed but it would be nice if I can find out if they are doing the infrastructure upgrades and I am not talking about channel changes. Sorry if I sound kind of rude I am not trying to be.

the real reason why I am asking about this is that my aunt has an upgraded catv distribution amplifier behind her house that has been there since 2007 and most of the city of Waxahachie has been having amps replaced since the same time I am just puzzled as to why it is taking so long to finish the upgrades? seems to be a big mystery to me. Maybe engineering could give some answers?

#3,072 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin120  /t/903396/charter-hdtv/3060#post_22569451

I really would personally like know if someone could find out from engineering in the Waxahachie Texas system if they are indeed doing upgrades as we speak because I think it doesn't look good that all of the other major towns in the area that I live in have HD channels and a better lineup. I almost feel like they got left behind in the early 2000s era of digital cable. and from now on it will be PMs. But it would be nice if marketing could reach out to a field tech to see if they are doing major infrastructure upgrades in the 75165 as I have seen some things changed and I fear that all of the work won't be finished and eventually the system will be sold off. I personally have family that live in the Waxahachie Texas area and I live in a Time Warner Cable area and I have been trying to find something about the upgrades in the 75165 zip code I kept being told 2012 and then it is unknown when changes will be completed but it would be nice if I can find out if they are doing the infrastructure upgrades and I am not talking about channel changes. Sorry if I sound kind of rude I am not trying to be.

the real reason why I am asking about this is that my aunt has an upgraded catv distribution amplifier behind her house that has been there since 2007 and most of the city of Waxahachie has been having amps replaced since the same time I am just puzzled as to why it is taking so long to finish the upgrades? seems to be a big mystery to me. Maybe engineering could give some answers?

I can definitely understand why you would be eager for upgrades. But unfortunately the information we have provided is all we have available at this time. As Abby and I have stated our tech's are working to upgrade the plant in many areas. The exact details and timeline as to what is being done and when it will be completed are not yet available. I assure you when your area is complete we will contact each customer that is affected.

Thank youi,

Steve

#3,073 ·
Hey Umatter:

So a number of the MN Timberwolves games are broadcast on WFTC My29 which is a local channel to the Minneapolis, MN area. Since I live in Duluth, MN that channel is not available on Cable or Ant. After doing some research I found this tweet by the Timberwolves cable partner that said this:

"Tonight on @fsnorth PLUS in the non-metro: @MNTimberwolves home opener vs. the Kings at 7:00 pm.(seen on local metro channel in Twin Cities)"

This was the first game of the season and I wanted to watch it so I tried tuning to fsn + in SD and HD and both channels had the standard static screen that said no events are on at this time or something to that effect. After talking to some friends nearby with DirecTV, they informed me that the Timberwolves were available to watch on FSN + on their system and there was no static screen during the game. This leads me to believe that charter was given the feed of the game, but they didn't switch the static image to the game during this time. I wouldn't complain, but there are many games on my29 in the metro and fsn+ in the non-metro. Here is a link to the entire schedule so you can inform those who need this information, when these games occur.

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/schedule/

I know that any schedule that is posted will only say My29, but it is supposed to be offered on FSN+ outside the metro area so it should be. Please let me know what you can do about this for future games.

Thanks,

Dan

#3,074 ·
Good evening,

I can certainly understand the importance of having the games shown when they should be, and I will be reaching out to the techs in your area to see what happened with the game. I will also make sure to get some information should we not be able to carry the feed for any reason. I will be in touch as soon as I hear back.

Thanks,

Jeremy

#3,076 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve52001  /t/903396/charter-hdtv/3060#post_22573340

Hey Umatter,

I'm curious why they took down the community forum on Charter's site? I found it real helpfull to get the help I needed through contacting you by submitting cases. Most of the time the phone support isn't up to par.

Vance

Hi Vance,

Recently a business decision has been made to close the Charter Community. No worries, though! The Umatter2Charter team is still here to support you. Customers can still call in to 1-888-GetCharter; visit a local Sales and Service Center; use our eChat function; try our self-help options on Charter.com; or utilize one of our Social Media channels found here: http://charter.com/Umatter2Charter .

Thanks,

Abby

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.