Charter HDTV - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2015, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Is the fact that Comcast owns NBC the reason the Comcast-TWC merger was denied? That's the only difference I see here w/ Charter-TWC proposed merger. I would think this would be denied as well.
The big difference that I see is that Comcast was the largest cable provider and TWC was number 2. Charter is number 4 and much smaller and even after the merger will only be number two. Makes it much easier to imagine that it will happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2015, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
There's Comcast's ownership of Universal Studios and NBC, as well as the immense size a combined Comcast-TWC would have reached (nearly 50% of cable homes passed, and 60% of all broadband Internet subscribers.)

Charter, on the other hand, like TWC, doesn't own any nationally distributed channels, and the combined Charter-TWC-Bright House would still be smaller than Comcast (but big enough to stand up to Comcast and others in programming negotiations).
Old 05-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Is the fact that Comcast owns NBC the reason the Comcast-TWC merger was denied? That's the only difference I see here w/ Charter-TWC proposed merger. I would think this would be denied as well.
It was denied because of that and because it was #1 and #2 merging into one. In this case, it is #4 buying #2 . I would be pretty shocked if it isn't allowed.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap93 View Post
There's Comcast's ownership of Universal Studios and NBC, as well as the immense size a combined Comcast-TWC would have reached (nearly 50% of cable homes passed, and 60% of all broadband Internet subscribers.)

Charter, on the other hand, like TWC, doesn't own any nationally distributed channels, and the combined Charter-TWC-Bright House would still be smaller than Comcast (but big enough to stand up to Comcast and others in programming negotiations).
The new charter-twc-brighthouse would be a close #2 to comcast. Would they stop the new Charter Conglomerate from buying cablevision (who wants to sell) and becoming #1 ?