1Likes

post #451 of 3634 Old 03-25-2010, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

Charter already can tell what it's users prefer based on ratings. However, what HD channel additions they add isn't decided by who wants the channels the most. It's a business decision plain and simple.

I don't think that Charter can determine preferences for things they don't offer based on ratings. Can they tell how many CNN or TCM viewers in a given area own HD sets or would watch one of those if offered in HD? I tend to prefer HD stations and sometimes forget the SD versions of stations I would otherwise watch.

As to business decisions, one normally makes those in the presence of preferably reliable information about customer needs and wants, how many want what and how badly.

What you might have meant is that monopolies can make business decisions without regard to customers. In the current situation, because of satTV, Charter doesn't have a pure monopoly. But Charter may be able to get away with monopolistic behavior because of the customers' perceived cost of switching providers. For me, the cost-benefit equation is rapidly tilting toward the sat providers or, if it appears soon, uverse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3634 Old 03-25-2010, 03:31 PM

Liked: 19
That's ok I just got word from someone in the know that the TN market got HD addition delayed yet again to June. This make the 3rd delay since Oct. No doubt in June it'll get delayed again. Tired of games. Checking into DirceTv and Dish now. Charter had it's chance. Say good-bye to a 10 year customer Charter.
post #453 of 3634 Old 03-26-2010, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Like rwinner, I rarely check the listings of SD stations and concentrate solely on HD. That's been my biggest gripe with Charter -- the number of HD stations. I can't get satellite where I live so I've been captive of Charter with the hope of U-verse arriving with its 120 HD channels. However, AT&T has dragged its feet with its installations in Atlanta -- and I'm becoming more and more unlikely to switch IF they ever become available. If Charter will just add a few key HD channels (CNN / FOX News / Travel / ESPN-U and ESPNNEWS) I'd be tempted to tell AT&T to *#*$& themselves if they ever come calling.
post #454 of 3634 Old 03-28-2010, 05:03 PM

And here in St. Louis the one lone addition (sometime in early February) was Universal HD. Now supposedly it was to show some NBC Winter Olympic coverage (to the best of my knowledge it never did) and what we get is a bunch of shows that never made it past about 6 episodes (wanna guess why?) and WWE reruns. If Charter was going to eat up bandwidth with a new HD channel, why this one!
post #455 of 3634 Old 03-29-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seibelcj View Post

And here in St. Louis the one lone addition (sometime in early February) was Universal HD. Now supposedly it was to show some NBC Winter Olympic coverage (to the best of my knowledge it never did) and what we get is a bunch of shows that never made it past about 6 episodes (wanna guess why?) and WWE reruns. If Charter was going to eat up bandwidth with a new HD channel, why this one!

Although I don't watch anything on Universal, I still think Weather channel has been the longest waist of bandwidth Charter has ever added to the line up...

Except maybe when History channel was first released, History Channel HD quality used to be horrible....
post #456 of 3634 Old 04-01-2010, 09:56 AM

This is directed toward Umatter2Charter:

I live in the Kalamazoo MI region, 49004, and our HD lineup is horrible.

I'm still waiting for Comedy Central HD, Cartoon Network HD, AMC HD, and ESPN-U HD.

I'm considering dropping Cable all together and going with a dish provider with a better lineup.
post #457 of 3634 Old 04-01-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trginter View Post

This is directed toward Umatter2Charter:

I live in the Kalamazoo MI region, 49004, and our HD lineup is horrible.

I'm still waiting for Comedy Central HD, Cartoon Network HD, AMC HD, and ESPN-U HD.

I'm considering dropping Cable all together and going with a dish provider with a better lineup.

You wont find ESPN-U HD on either Dish or DirecTV. Same goes for AMC HD.
post #458 of 3634 Old 04-01-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby Baker View Post

You wont find ESPN-U HD on either Dish or DirecTV. Same goes for AMC HD.

But you will find Comedy Central HD and Cartoon Network HD
post #459 of 3634 Old 04-02-2010, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Charter carries AMC HD in our area -- but not CNN or Fox News or MSNBC HD!
post #460 of 3634 Old 04-08-2010, 08:32 PM

Well we are in the 2nd quarter of 2010 - lets see if Charter adds any new HD this quarter ...........
post #461 of 3634 Old 04-09-2010, 10:21 AM

Well it looks like Charter has packed up and left the forum. No response from Charter to all of the questions.

Opelousas, Louisiana still has no DVR, ON Demand, no HD NBC. We here are looking to replace our power supplier, and perhaps we should look at the Charter contract as well. Funny thing about on Demand here in Opelousas. I was setting up my computer on the cable last night and it found ON Demand. That means it is here in Opelousas, but do not turn it on for our boxes!

Really, my biggest grip is no DVR service.
post #462 of 3634 Old 04-09-2010, 11:08 AM

I live in west TN I just heard today more HD will be added in June.

Partial list. Negoatiations for other channels still ongoing.

Disney HD
Lifetime HD
The Science Channel HD
SyFy HD
Comedy Central HD

Also Versus in SD will be added.
post #463 of 3634 Old 04-09-2010, 11:29 AM

Liked: 14
We are definitely still here and have been monitoring the discussions. At this point we haven't seen anything come through that we have any updates to provide other than the one that BCF68 beat us to (just sent over today), which is why we haven't posted. Since this is a Peer to Peer forum, not one that we run, we try to not jump in constantly because we don't want to stifle the dialogue. Generally, we will not engage unless we have new information to provide, want to correct misinformation, or someone asks us for assistance. Please know we are always here if needed. We have been forwarding the feedback as much as possible to the correct parties.
post #464 of 3634 Old 04-09-2010, 07:18 PM

Charter: Anything new coming to STL in the way of HD? Specifically 63048? I'd really LOVE to see FX in HD!

Thanks.
post #465 of 3634 Old 04-10-2010, 10:50 PM

I am not on a bashing Charter campaign, but it is just frustrating to know that services are in the loop but nothing is being said. I like Charter over D* or E*. I was even defending you all today when I walked into the ATT store to do some wireless business. They tried the hard sell, and I told them that they could not beat Charter on prices, and the speed of internet for price. Glad to know you are still around and I thank you!
post #466 of 3634 Old 04-12-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Josh, thank you for providing this line of communication.

I am in area code 35150, I notice that all of Discovery's channels, HD Theater, TLC HD, Discovery HD, are missing the top couple of rows of pixels on my TV. Is this because of the HD box? This is a motorola DCH6200. It doesn't seem to be a problem on Universal HD or Bravo HD. I have played with all the settings I have found in the manual for this receiver, so I am left to think that it is a problem with Charter. Please let me know if you can do anything.

Thanks again.
post #467 of 3634 Old 04-12-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise View Post

Charter: Anything new coming to STL in the way of HD? Specifically 63048? I'd really LOVE to see FX in HD!

Thanks.

Unfortunately the time frame for additional HD channels has not been determined for the area, however please know that we are looking at more channels and will continue to add to our lineup as soon as possible. I will get info about FX HD to our Marketing Manager to include in the channel requests.
post #468 of 3634 Old 04-12-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonesouth View Post

I am not on a bashing Charter campaign, but it is just frustrating to know that services are in the loop but nothing is being said. I like Charter over D* or E*. I was even defending you all today when I walked into the ATT store to do some wireless business. They tried the hard sell, and I told them that they could not beat Charter on prices, and the speed of internet for price. Glad to know you are still around and I thank you!

I understand the frustration, completely. We definitely appreciate the loyalty to the service and hopefully can provide more info soon. Unfortunately none has been released to me yet about the area there.
post #469 of 3634 Old 04-12-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

Josh, thank you for providing this line of communication.

I am in area code 35150, I notice that all of Discovery's channels, HD Theater, TLC HD, Discovery HD, are missing the top couple of rows of pixels on my TV. Is this because of the HD box? This is a motorola DCH6200. It doesn't seem to be a problem on Universal HD or Bravo HD. I have played with all the settings I have found in the manual for this receiver, so I am left to think that it is a problem with Charter. Please let me know if you can do anything.

Thanks again.

We're not seeing anything on those channels as an area wide problem right now. Has this been happening for a while or did it just start? We may want to have the box replaced for you to see if that's causing the problems. PM me with your Name/Address/Phone# and we can get a call set up for you.
post #470 of 3634 Old 04-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I wa going to post this in the hardware section but since you are here Umatter, i'll ask here: I have a Motorola DCH6416 DVR that replaced a worn out Moxi that has been nothing but trouble since I got it. It fails to record sometimes, last night it looked like it recording but when I went to play back the show it said "to be announced" at the info bar instead of Pacific on HBO.
It has failed to record Survivor even though we have a season pass. Most times it records fine but I am to the point of not trusting it and may go tivo, I think what is happening is the guide is not downloading, any help would be appreciated.
post #471 of 3634 Old 04-12-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

I wa going to post this in the hardware section but since you are here Umatter, i'll ask here: I have a Motorola DCH6416 DVR that replaced a worn out Moxi that has been nothing but trouble since I got it. It fails to record sometimes, last night it looked like it recording but when I went to play back the show it said "to be announced" at the info bar instead of Pacific on HBO.
It has failed to record Survivor even though we have a season pass. Most times it records fine but I am to the point of not trusting it and may go tivo, I think what is happening is the guide is not downloading, any help would be appreciated.

We can definitely take a look at it and troubleshoot with you to help out. PM me with your Name/Address/Phone# and we'll take a look at some things with you.
post #472 of 3634 Old 04-13-2010, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Hm, need some more HD channels! Have had hdtv service for one day now and so far I don't think it's worth it.

I guess there's just not enough stuff available in HD yet. DirectTV only has 45 channels or so unless you get hbo east west north south all in HD also. I can't stand SD programming.

Palladia apparently shows the same stuff over and over from what I've read lol. So far HD Theater has only showed car and motorcycle shows lol. History channel is unwatchable because of that horrible logo, though HD THeater logo is pretty bad too, I'm surprised people recommend that for breaking in a new plasma.

I remember watching nature shows and stuff on Discovery when I was a little kid, what happened to all that?

25% of it is just SD programming with pillarboxes, I really only wanted this for discovery(Since I thought it was nature shows and stuff) and Breaking Bad in 1920x1080 without having to wait 3 days for a good release.

I wasn't aware HD was still in it's infancy, I literally haven't paid any attention to television in about 5 or 6 years. But the majority of channels I have available with current package is SD stuff, and I have all the HD channels minus the premiums according to what's available. For some reason I was expecting everything I see to be in HD. And from what I can tell DirecTV isn't much better. Advertising like 300 channels and then only 85 of them being in HD, and half of those being copies of the premiums east/west like I mentioned earlier. So you really only end up with 50 or so unique channels. But that's not DirecTV's fault, or Charter's, just that there seems to not be enough HD channels in existence o_o.......

Any assistance would be appreciated, what avenue do I need to take here?
post #473 of 3634 Old 04-13-2010, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I should try On Demand?
I just signed up for, and then cancelled netflix lol. Quality was just terrible.
post #474 of 3634 Old 04-13-2010, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Maybe I should try On Demand?
I just signed up for, and then cancelled netflix lol. Quality was just terrible.

Nah, to be honest I only recently delved into on demand and so far I am underwhemled. Last night I tried to watch The Pacific on HBO on demand and it cut off before the show ended.

But really, how many channels do you need? We watch so many network shows we rarely get through those. You wanna talk infancy, back about six years ago I would watch documentaries on Tasors just to watch HD, we've got it good compared to that. Ahh the good ole days!
post #475 of 3634 Old 04-13-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:

Hm, need some more HD channels! Have had hdtv service for one day now and so far I don't think it's worth it.

Well I assume you have Charter. In that case HD is free. You're only extra expense is the HD boxes which are $5 more than the SD boxes. Sure its worth $5 a month.

Quote:

25% of it is just SD programming with pillarboxes, I really only wanted this for discovery(Since I thought it was nature shows and stuff) and Breaking Bad in 1920x1080 without having to wait 3 days for a good release.

HD over TV is typically 720p or 1080i. You're basically only going to find 1080p stuff on blu-ray.

Quote:

I wasn't aware HD was still in it's infancy, I literally haven't paid any attention to television in about 5 or 6 years. But the majority of channels I have available with current package is SD stuff, and I have all the HD channels minus the premiums according to what's available. For some reason I was expecting everything I see to be in HD. And from what I can tell DirecTV isn't much better. Advertising like 300 channels and then only 85 of them being in HD, and half of those being copies of the premiums east/west like I mentioned earlier. So you really only end up with 50 or so unique channels. But that's not DirecTV's fault, or Charter's, just that there seems to not be enough HD channels in existence o_o.......

Well most new shows are in fact made in HD now so that's good. However you need to realize that the vast majority of shows ever made are not. Well you don't expect those networks to just abonadon that content do you? And just like the switch from black and white to color, shows that where flimed in b&w won't be in color just because you have a color TV a non-HD show won't magically become HD just because you bought a HDTV. I think some shows have maybe have 4-5 seasons worth of shows flimed in HD. So yeah you are going to see a lot of of non-HD content. That however the ratio of non-HD to HD will continue to decrease over time.
post #476 of 3634 Old 04-13-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Well I assume you have Charter. In that case HD is free. You're only extra expense is the HD boxes which are $5 more than the SD boxes. Sure its worth $5 a month.

HD over TV is typically 720p or 1080i. You're basically only going to find 1080p stuff on blu-ray.

Well most new shows are in fact made in HD now so that's good. However you need to realize that the vast majority of shows ever made are not. Well you don't expect those networks to just abonadon that content do you? And just like the switch from black and white to color, shows that where flimed in b&w won't be in color just because you have a color TV a non-HD show won't magically become HD just because you bought a HDTV. I think some shows have maybe have 4-5 seasons worth of shows flimed in HD. So yeah you are going to see a lot of of non-HD content. That however the ratio of non-HD to HD will continue to decrease over time.

Thanks for the response, I am not sure the interlaced 1080 bothers me that much. It's essentially 60 half-frames every second right? I mean if you deinterlaced it it would be 30frames instead of 60? But the 720p is 60 f ull frames a second. I noticed on my tv's QAM all the channels are in 720, but on the cable box they are 1080, is t here any way to get them in 720p via the cable box? I will have to play around with that.
post #477 of 3634 Old 04-13-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:

I guess there's just not enough stuff available in HD yet. DirectTV only has 45 channels or so unless you get hbo east west north south all in HD also. I can't stand SD programming.

Palladia apparently shows the same stuff over and over from what I've read lol. So far HD Theater has only showed car and motorcycle shows lol. History channel is unwatchable because of that horrible logo, though HD THeater logo is pretty bad too, I'm surprised people recommend that for breaking in a new plasma.

I remember watching nature shows and stuff on Discovery when I was a little kid, what happened to all that?

I must say reading this feels like comments that I may have made 4-5 years ago, not today. I guess knowing how bad HD content once was makes me really appreciate what I have today as I tend to find that the majority of the shows and channels I want are in HD, with true HD content these days... History Channel when first released was one of the worst starts I have ever seen for an HD channel... But today I watch several shows on that network and feel its quality is good enough.

Discovery HD Theater was created as one of the first HD Channels... Today I find that it mostly has crap on it and rarely watch it, as it seems to be mostly re-runs of old junk. But the HD Version of the normal Discovery Channel is good stuff assuming you get that in your area. The Science Channel is another good one to have in HD. It won't surprise me if they evetually just get rid of Discovery HD theater as it has outlived its purpose now that so many other HD channels have become available.
post #478 of 3634 Old 04-13-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the response, I am not sure the interlaced 1080 bothers me that much. It's essentially 60 half-frames every second right? I mean if you deinterlaced it it would be 30frames instead of 60? But the 720p is 60 f ull frames a second. I noticed on my tv's QAM all the channels are in 720, but on the cable box they are 1080, is t here any way to get them in 720p via the cable box? I will have to play around with that.

From what I have seen, other than the Moxi boxes, Most of Charter's hardware only outputs at one resolution. So you Select either 720p, or 1080i. As long as Charter doesn't over compress the signals in your area I would be surprised if you would actually see a quality difference between 720p or 1080i. But then again I have always found the debate fairly entertaining as so many people have such strong opinions on the differences of 720p, 1080i, or 1080p.
post #479 of 3634 Old 04-13-2010, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I was wondering if anybody knows the exact date when Epix comes out?, and if it's going to be a stand alone premium channel or grouped with HBO or a Showtime movie tier?
post #480 of 3634 Old 04-13-2010, 02:09 PM

Any updates on Michigan additions (48130 and 49009)?

I would also like to throw in requests for NHL Network HD, Comedy Central HD, E! HD and Spike HD as well.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page