Charter HDTV - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #811 of 3664 Old 01-17-2011, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to see BBC America HD added to Rochester, MN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3664 Old 01-17-2011, 02:22 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Thank you for the feed back. I will send this to local marketing.
post #813 of 3664 Old 01-17-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby Baker View Post
Umatter,

Tomorrow is our 'go live' date for SDV in West Michigan. Do you know if there is a time of day when they usually "throw the switch" so that we can check to see if things are working properly? I would assume its done during business hours in case something goes wrong, but just wondering.. Thanks!
Normal maintenance window is between 12am to 6am. This is when SDV would launch.
post #814 of 3664 Old 01-17-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh41000 View Post
Anything new on the horizon for Knoxville-East Tennessee area? What's the latest on the NFL Network?
As far as the NFL network is goes we are still in talks. We have not heard of any channel launches in TN just yet, but when we do we will post it.
post #815 of 3664 Old 01-17-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon
Now that the digital switch-over is a few years in the rear view window, why are there any SD channels at all. Why not replace all SD channels with their HD counterpart (if it exists)? Wouldn't users with an SD tv/cable box still present the HD channel in SD? This would seem to solve the bandwidth problem and give consumers all the HD that currently exists.
Although a good idea in theory, this would involve Charter swapping every SD box for an hd one. They currently charge more for HD boxes, and a lot of people still rely on no box and just have analog cable. What probably would make more since is switch over to MP4 instead mpeg2 for the HD channels like all the dish companies did several years ago. This would be a more efficient use of their limited bandwidth. But if they wanted to switch to MP4 it's something they should have already done by now so I don't see that happening any time soon.
post #816 of 3664 Old 01-17-2011, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Ditto here in St. Louis. Supernatural Saturday isn't quite so supernatural in SD
post #817 of 3664 Old 01-17-2011, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Wouldn't users with an SD tv/cable box still present the HD channel in SD?

I'm not sure if many of the SD boxes are able to tune into the HD channels. The little Motorola DCT 700s that Charter provided when they eliminated all but the most basic of the analog channels here won't decode any HD channels at all. Another Motorola box that I had before I had any HD TVs in my house would only decode audio from HD channels.
post #818 of 3664 Old 01-17-2011, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I remember before I had an hdtv and I had sd box, I used to watch HD channels just to listen to 5.1 surround programs and pick up the video that was a little clearer then the SD version. I think it was a Motorola box.
post #819 of 3664 Old 01-18-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwinner View Post

Back to business: In the near future, will Charter supply HD for the main national news channels in the area around zip 28801, Asheville, NC? By main news channels I mean CNN, MSNBC and HLN. CNBC would also be useful.
For entertainment, I hope we can get AMC, BBC America and TCM.

Dear UM2Charter:
I didn't actually expect an answer to the above, but there is something Charter decision-makers might want to consider. As we near the end of two-year contracts, some of us will be making decisions about providers. You do have competition and Charter's relative absence of useful HD channels makes you decreasingly attractive. There comes a point where the nuisance of changing is overtaken by the value proposition of your competition. As far as I am concerned, you have about three months to announce new channels.
post #820 of 3664 Old 01-18-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Dear UM2Charter:
I didn't actually expect an answer to the above, but there is something Charter decision-makers might want to consider. As we near the end of two-year contracts, some of us will be making decisions about providers. You do have competition and Charter's relative absence of useful HD channels makes you decreasingly attractive. There comes a point where the nuisance of changing is overtaken by the value proposition of your competition. As far as I am concerned, you have about three months to announce new channels.

I am going to check with Marketing and see what they have to say. I will reply as soon as you hear back from them.

Thanks
post #821 of 3664 Old 01-19-2011, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Still waiting on a response to posts #806 and 807.
post #822 of 3664 Old 01-19-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBarclay View Post

Would appreciate an update on the SDV deployment in the Atlanta area. (As berwickl requested above). Originally we were told 12/7/10 was the date (which is why I got a Tuner Adapter for my Tivo in November.) The light is still blinking on that box and I'd like to know when to check to see if it was installed correctly. Thanks!

We are contacting local now and will respond just as soon as we hear back!

Thanks,

Dylan
post #823 of 3664 Old 01-19-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBarclay View Post

Still waiting on a response to posts #806 and 807.

Our estimated launch date is 2/8/11.

Please let us know if you ever have any other questions!

Thanks,

Dylan
post #824 of 3664 Old 01-19-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Dear UM2Charter:

Marketing has gotten back to me and this is what they said. Unfortunately there are no set channels that we are launching this summer. No information or commitments can be made at this point.

When we do have set channels and a time frame we will post it.
post #825 of 3664 Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks, Dylan. I doubt I'll be holding my breathe!!!
post #826 of 3664 Old 01-19-2011, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Umatter2charter,

Can you tell me if zipcode 49091 went live with SDV today or yesterday? 1-18 was the launch date, but TA is still blinking yellow. Others in W. Michigan have said its turned on, but others have TA's blinking like mine too.
post #827 of 3664 Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Umatter2charter,

Can you tell me if zipcode 49091 went live with SDV today or yesterday? 1-18 was the launch date, but TA is still blinking yellow. Others in W. Michigan have said its turned on, but others have TA's blinking like mine too.

Not showing that it has launch fully in your area, but that means it can at anytime.
post #828 of 3664 Old 01-24-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Charter Tags TiVo For DVRs, Next-Gen TV

MSO Plans to Offer TiVo Premiere Set-Tops in 2011, Followed by New Devices and Services

By Todd Spangler -- Multichannel News, 1/24/2011 9:59:49 AM

Charter Communications inked a multiyear pact with TiVo to supply DVR set-tops as well as provide technology to merge traditional cable TV with Internet-delivered content.

Under the deal -- which represents one of TiVo's biggest service provider wins in years -- Charter this year will launch TiVo's Premiere DVR in unspecified markets, along with forthcoming multiroom DVR features. The MSO also will use the TiVo guide on non-DVR set-tops.

TiVo PremiereTiVo "will be our primary multiroom/whole-house solution and preferred DVR service for our customers," Charter spokeswoman Anita Lamont said.

Charter evaluated several options and "the selection of TiVo as a partner was based on our strategy to alter the dynamic of our video business by offering customers a better overall video experience," Lamont said. "Next-gen architecture is here now and having the ability to deploy TiVo to our customers within a few months is appealing."

In a subsequent phase of their partnership, Charter will expand its TiVo-based service with new devices, features and third-party applications using the DVR company's discovery, search, navigation and recommendation features. That, according to Charter, will provide "the best of traditional and next-generation television," combining linear TV, video on demand, Internet video and IP applications all through a single interface.

"We're integrating formerly disparate worlds of traditional television and online content, and making it simple for customers to quickly find the content they're looking for, as well as greatly expand their entertainment choices," Charter president and CEO Mike Lovett said in a statement.

Continued Lovett, "Our strategic relationship with TiVo is a significant step in Charter's multiyear effort to become the solutions provider for home entertainment and consumer information technology. With our superior IP infrastructure, we're leading the way with TiVo to create a user-friendly entertainment experience that leverages an open standards platform to enable IP content and bring a whole new world of applications to the television."

Charter, the fourth-largest U.S. cable operator, has about 4.7 million video subscribers.

Among TiVo's other deals with service providers, Suddenlink Communications and RCN have rolled out TiVo Premiere DVRs with over-the-top content in select markets, and the U.K.'s Virgin Media soft-launched a TiVo service on Cisco boxes last month. DirecTV is expected to debut an HD DVR with TiVo's interface sometime in 2011.

TiVo's distribution deals with Comcast and Cox Communications, on the other hand, never took off as expected although Cox is working with the company to let users of retail TiVos access its VOD service.

"We are thrilled to have been selected by Charter for its next generation video platform, which builds on the distribution momentum we saw throughout 2010 for our products," TiVo president and CEO Tom Rogers said in a statement. "Charter's strategic direction is highly aligned with the way we see consumer entertainment demands evolving.... While numerous consumer-electronic players point to so-called connected experiences on various platforms, our relationship with Charter underscores our mutual recognition of the importance of a fully integrated user experience in building a video platform that truly unifies all available content in a world of rapidly expanding choices for the consumer."

The initial TiVo market launches in Charter territories will include Web applications, such as access to local news, sports and weather, as well as Facebook and Twitter updates, right from the TV, plus access to Charter's VOD library, including more than 900 high-definition titles.

Charter's TiVo DVR will provide "Internet video from top destinations," as well as an iPad app to let subscribers browse the program guide and recorded shows, schedule recordings and perform other tasks.

The TiVo Premiere provides storage for up to 45 hours of HD programming or up to 400 hours of standard-definition programming and supports both 1080i and 1080p HD formats.

Certain features of Internet-connected TiVos, however, will not be available through Charter, such as Netflix's instant-streaming service. In the case of Netflix, TiVo's rights to offer the streaming capabilities don't extend to devices distributed via multichannel video programming distributors.

Separately, TiVo is still awaiting a decision in its litigation against Dish Network, pending before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. In addition, TiVo has patent-infringement suits pending against Verizon Communications, AT&T and Microsoft.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...ext_Gen_TV.php

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #829 of 3664 Old 01-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Charter Communications inked a multiyear pact with TiVo to supply DVR set-tops as well as provide technology to merge traditional cable TV with Internet-delivered content.

Thank God, I thought this would never happen. I hate, hate, hate Charter's present DVR offerings and have kept one only because it is required in order to maintain all the premiums and the two year price guarantee. Tivo's user interface is light years ahead of Moxi and their other GUI's, now lets hope they don't disable tivo's best features. netflix streaming I can live without because my BD player can do that.

Bring it on Charter!!
post #830 of 3664 Old 01-24-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

Thank God, I thought this would never happen. I hate, hate, hate Charter's present DVR offerings and have kept one only because it is required in order to maintain all the premiums and the two year price guarantee. Tivo's user interface is light years ahead of Moxi and their other GUI's, now lets hope they don't disable tivo's best features. netflix streaming I can live without because my BD player can do that.

Bring it on Charter!!

Now if Charter would just step up and give its customers more HD channels that would be great!
post #831 of 3664 Old 01-24-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I wish Charter would allow customer owned Tivo's to access the VOD's like COX is trying to do.
post #832 of 3664 Old 01-24-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubreed View Post

Now if Charter would just step up and give its customers more HD channels that would be great!

We are working hard to make improvements in all markets and are committed to bringing more HD programming to the table. We currently consider HD Content as a main driver towards staying competitive to our peers and responsive to our customer's requests. If you have a specific channel you'd like us to send in as a request please send a PM with those details.
post #833 of 3664 Old 01-24-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:

I wish Charter would allow customer owned Tivo's to access the VOD's like COX is trying to do.

I have sent this off to the marketing group. At this time we do not have a answer but as soon as we get word we will let everyone know.
post #834 of 3664 Old 01-26-2011, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
I'm thinking of switching back to Charter since my current provider seems to have done something to the signal recently and I'd like to know if the same thing is happening at Charter.

Has SD programming, including commercials stopped filling the entire screen? Does it have a box or bars no matter what settings you've set the tv or box to?

This happens on my stations that are in HD and SD. It happens on my wide screen lcd and my tube tv as well. It wasn't always like this and I believe it started after the last update was downloaded. My provider denies that this is due to anything that they've done and are blaming the source- tv stations.

Thanks in advance.

post #835 of 3664 Old 01-27-2011, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I'm thinking of switching back to Charter since my current provider seems to have done something to the signal recently and I'd like to know if the same thing is happening at Charter.

Has SD programming, including commercials stopped filling the entire screen? Does it have a box or bars no matter what settings you've set the tv or box to?

This happens on my stations that are in HD and SD. It happens on my wide screen lcd and my tube tv as well. It wasn't always like this and I believe it started after the last update was downloaded. My provider denies that this is due to anything that they've done and are blaming the source- tv stations.

Thanks in advance.

Why would you want SD material to fill your widescreen LCD?
post #836 of 3664 Old 01-27-2011, 05:19 PM

The Tivo news may be the best news I've heard all year for Charter. It will almost offset the poor HD selection or the inability to remove the SD channels from the guide if you have the HD version.

Would love to know more about the Tivo offering. Do we think it will work with any premiere box or will this be a charter-specific box? Will we be able to own the box without having to pay the extra surcharge for the rental and channel guide "service"? Will there be the separate DVR service to be paid to charter or just a tivo subscription?
post #837 of 3664 Old 01-28-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyall View Post

The Tivo news may be the best news I've heard all year for Charter. It will almost offset the poor HD selection or the inability to remove the SD channels from the guide if you have the HD version.

Would love to know more about the Tivo offering. Do we think it will work with any premiere box or will this be a charter-specific box? Will we be able to own the box without having to pay the extra surcharge for the rental and channel guide "service"? Will there be the separate DVR service to be paid to charter or just a tivo subscription?

We're glad you're happy about it We are adding a number of HD Channels as we continue to launch SDV. Currently there isn't much additional information we can provide regarding the TiVo deal however we will provide information as it becomes available regarding all service upgrades

Thanks,

Dylan
post #838 of 3664 Old 01-28-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

We are working hard to make improvements in all markets and are committed to bringing more HD programming to the table. We currently consider HD Content as a main driver towards staying competitive to our peers and responsive to our customer's requests. If you have a specific channel you'd like us to send in as a request please send a PM with those details.

Sorry but I just have to do it. How on earth is Charter so behind offering HD channels when compared to everyone else. I recently learned that AT&T in now offering Uverse in my area (Tennessee) and received a pamphlet with all their channel offerings. I am about to list all the HD channels that AT&T provides its customers that Charter doesn't (at least not in my area). Here goes: BET, BIO, Cartoon Network, CBS College Sports, CMT, CNBC, CNN, CNN HLN, Cooking Channel, Crime & Investigation, Disney XD, DIY Network, E!, ESPNews, ESPNU, Fox Business, Fox News, FSN, FX, G4, HSN, Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network, msnbc, MTV, OWN, Planet Green, QVC, Reelz, SPEED, Spike, Style, TBN, The Hub, Travel Channel, truTV, TCM, VERSUS, VH1, WGN. AT&T has even more HD channels. I just listed the ones that Charter has in SD but not in HD. Not to mention with AT&T when you subscribe to premium channels like HBO you get all the HBOs (comedy, family, signature, zone & HBO2) in HD. I don't know why charter doesn't do this with HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, The Movie Channel, etc. I know every TV provider has its issues but if Charter doesn't step up soon they may be losing a customer. With more competition and better choices it wouldn't surprise me if more customer would drop Charter.
post #839 of 3664 Old 01-28-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post

Why would you want SD material to fill your widescreen LCD?

At least from side to side. Am I asking too much?

post #840 of 3664 Old 01-28-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Directv HD channels: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/conten...oternavtype=-1

Plus they offer 1080p & 3D movies as well.

After doing a price comparison, I guess I'll stay with Directv. Plus I love my whole home dvr at $3. Isn't Charter behind on that too?

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page