Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvag98 View Post

Any new HD channels planned for Fort Worth zip code 76110? Thanks

Good afternoon,

We just added channels there a little over 30 days ago, so unfortunately there are no additional lineup changes planned at this time. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

-George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3683 Old 05-15-2011, 08:36 PM

Liked: 10
Umatter2Charter any new HD channels for 37160?

Umatter2Charter, here is my request for HD channels in the 37160 zip code: ABC Family, BET, BIO, Cartoon Network, CNBC, CNN, CNN Headline News, Cooking Channel, Crime & Investigation, Disney XD, DIY, E!, ESPNews, ESPNU, Fox Businuess Network, Fox News Channel, FX, G4, Investigation Discovery, msnbc, MTV, Nickelodeon, Planet Green, Spike, Style Network, The Hub, Travel Channel, truTV, Turner Classic Movies (TCM), VH1, and WGN. Also would like to have all the premium movie channels in HD. Oh and are we ever going to get the NFL Network (HD)? TV One (HD) would be nice too.
post #993 of 3683 Old 05-15-2011, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubreed View Post

Umatter2Charter, here is my request for HD channels in the 37160 zip code: ABC Family, BET, BIO, Cartoon Network, CNBC, CNN, CNN Headline News, Cooking Channel, Crime & Investigation, Disney XD, DIY, E!, ESPNews, ESPNU, Fox Businuess Network, Fox News Channel, FX, G4, Investigation Discovery, msnbc, MTV, Nickelodeon, Planet Green, Spike, Style Network, The Hub, Travel Channel, truTV, Turner Classic Movies (TCM), VH1, and WGN. Also would like to have all the premium movie channels in HD. Oh and are we ever going to get the NFL Network (HD)? TV One (HD) would be nice too.

You have a good sense of humor
post #994 of 3683 Old 05-15-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post

You have a good sense of humor

Honestly not trying to be funny. These are channels that other cable and satellite providers offer. So why doesn't Charter get on the ball and give its customers what they want? HDTV has been around for about 10 years or more. Doesn't make sense to have only 1 HBO in HD. All the premium movie channels should be HD.
post #995 of 3683 Old 05-15-2011, 11:02 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Honestly not trying to be funny. These are channels that other cable and satellite providers offer. So why doesn't Charter get on the ball and give its customers what they want? HDTV has been around for about 10 years or more. Doesn't make sense to have only 1 HBO in HD. All the premium movie channels should be HD.

Satellite is all digital and Comcast is mostly digital and this is why they can offer more HD. Until Charter gets rid of most of it's analog channels don't expect many more HD channels. Converting one analog channel to digital would allow for an additional 2 HD channels.

Unfortunately if you talk about doing that then all those customers that just have analog whine really hard about having to get a STB. Comcast got tons of grief. This is probably why Charter does it piecemeal converting 2 or 3 channels every year or two. Which means it takes forever to add HD. And they have to resort to SDV which is stupid to me.

Personally I think even converting all analog to SD digital is a waste of bandwidth. Why have 2 versions of every channel? I guess we have to wait 20 years to the last laggards SD tube TVs finally give out and they finally upgrade to a HDTV?
post #996 of 3683 Old 05-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Personally I think even converting all analog to SD digital is a waste of bandwidth. Why have 2 versions of every channel? I guess we have to wait 20 years to the last laggards SD tube TVs finally give out and they finally upgrade to a HDTV?

I'm with you on this one, but I really don't understand what we're waiting for. Granted those who cling to their analog-only TVs need to buck up but the cablecos would just need one HD STB for everybody and the SD crowd would just use analog out. I would guess with the economy of scales, they could actually lower the rental price for the boxes to appease those folks, though any charge would probably lead to complaints. Aaarggh, it's a long drawn out process, that's for sure.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #997 of 3683 Old 05-16-2011, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Satellite is all digital and Comcast is mostly digital and this is why they can offer more HD. Until Charter gets rid of most of it's analog channels don't expect many more HD channels.

Charter here converted everything but the bare bones basic to digital last November. Every customer was provided the option of getting up to 3 digital-to-analog STBs for no additional charge, with any additional boxes after that costing a monthly fee. Why Charter did this in my area and not in any surrounding areas, that I know of, had to be because we are on what appears to be a 530 MHz system, so the space taken up by the analog extended basic channels made it impossible to add all of the HD channels that were available on nearby Charter systems and probably had already been negotiated for carriage in my area despite the lack of bandwidth for them.

Quote:

Converting one analog channel to digital would allow for an additional 2 HD channels.

At least around here, 3 HD channels are placed on what would be 1 analog channel, except for broadcast stations, which are 2 to 1. The average bitrate of the cable-only HD channels ordinarily seems to be around 10-12 Mbps.
post #998 of 3683 Old 05-16-2011, 01:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by agus0103 View Post

At least around here, 3 HD channels are placed on what would be 1 analog channel, except for broadcast stations, which are 2 to 1. The average bitrate of the cable-only HD channels ordinarily seems to be around 10-12 Mbps.

Which is way too low for HD. The result of the over compression is lots and lots of macroblocking. Even 17 Mbps for 1080i barely does the job. Now, if they used H.264 instead of MPEG-2, 10-12 Mbps would be great.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #999 of 3683 Old 05-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Now, if they used H.264 instead of MPEG-2,

We can only hope that some day they will be doing just that!

post #1000 of 3683 Old 05-16-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I'd love to go back to Charter but it won't happen until they offer more HD and MRV.

It seems to me that adding MRV would almost pay for the cost of supplying a free stb for HD as they abandon analog. I'm thinking of the increase in HDDVR rentals and the return of lost customers.

One question: Why does cable have to go down so much (completely out) when satellite doesn't? It's this that keeps me from having much confidence in using cable for my land line service and ticks me off when I use their internet.

post #1001 of 3683 Old 05-16-2011, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

One question: Why does cable have to go down so much (completely out) when satellite doesn't? It's this that keeps me from having much confidence in using cable for my land line service and ticks me off when I use their internet.

I think this depends where u live (how new the cables are). I've had charter for 3.5 years, the only time they were down was scheduled maintenance or I had to download new firmware for my modem. However at my parents house with DirectTV they get 15-30 seconds of scrambled channels all of the time, not to mention they change what channels are in what tiers. So they loose channels that they previously had on the same package quite often. They had several techs out either repositioning there dish or giving them a new dish.
post #1002 of 3683 Old 05-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja7475 View Post

I think this depends where u live

I agree. I've had Charter's digital CATV and HSI for 6 or 7 years and phone service with them for probably 4 years now and downtime is so rare that I'm tempted to say "never" for any of the three services. Rain fade was much more of an issue for me when I had DirecTV than anything I've experienced with Charter.

I finally started running a line monitor through dslreports.com (free!) last week and my latencies are rock solid with virtually no packet loss. The only blip I've seen was last Thursday ~1AM and I assume that had something to do with severe thunderstorms throughout the State. My HSI is 18/2 but since some new wiring, connectors, etc. with the recent Multi-Room DVR installation, I've consistently been getting 22/2.

I too believe service is very dependent on the area you are in, how recently the infra-structure has been upgraded and how dense the population is on your node.

BTW, as of tomorrow we'll have 54 HD channels in my neighborhood.

post #1003 of 3683 Old 05-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baja7475

I think this depends where u live (how new the cables are). I've had charter for 3.5 years, the only time they were down was scheduled maintenance or I had to download new firmware for my modem. However at my parents house with DirectTV they get 15-30 seconds of scrambled channels all of the time, not to mention they change what channels are in what tiers. So they loose channels that they previously had on the same package quite often. They had several techs out either repositioning there dish or giving them a new dish.
I agree with that - I've had many problems with aspects of Charter's service at times, but one thing I can't complain about is service interruption. I can count on one hand how many times I've lost service in 10 years, and none for any length of time.
post #1004 of 3683 Old 05-16-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Good Afternoon,

Currently we are not showing any additional channels scheduled for launch in your area. We do appreciate the suggestions and have forwarded them on to your local market for consideration. Was there anything else we could assist with?

Thanks,

Dylan
http://www.charter.com/Umatter2Charter
post #1005 of 3683 Old 05-16-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agus0103 View Post
Charter here converted everything but the bare bones basic to digital last November.
My area still has 64 analog channels. Just leaving basic as analog would mean converting 47 channels to digital. Which would mean a TON of new HD channels.

Quote:
I was just making a point that analog wastes alot of bandwidth. 2 HD channels 3 HD channels it's still more channels
post #1006 of 3683 Old 05-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

I used to have HBO HD On Demand before HBO shut it down January, 2008. I understand Comcast had it back later that year but did not discover until this past week that other Charter markets got it back also. I never did.

I'm just curious which Charter markets have HBO HD On Demand and when it came back to your lineup? I've contacted CharterDirect and am trying to find out more from them but am wondering what I can find out from other Charter subscribers across the country.

post #1007 of 3683 Old 05-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

I received this from CharterSteve this morning and indeed it's back. Must have happened this week as I haven't seen SD and HD titles mixed together before. It's currently set up that way in Movies, Series, etc. Wonder if the HD folder will return?

Quote:

Apparently some signals were crossed in our network and HBO HD content should be available for your market, however it's not it's own folder.

In order to see the content please access On Demand > Premiums > HBO > and browse titles. You should SD titles and HD titles if they are available for the movies in the catalog.

post #1008 of 3683 Old 05-18-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

I'm with you on this one, but I really don't understand what we're waiting for. Granted those who cling to their analog-only TVs need to buck up but the cablecos would just need one HD STB for everybody and the SD crowd would just use analog out.

Here's the thing for the hell of it I took a HD STB and hooked it up to a 5 year old tube TV via component. Once I set the STB to output 480i only I could watch the HD channels on it. Best part is that the channels were widecreen. Sure I had the black bars on the top and bottom but I got widescreen which I prefer the the 4X3 SD crap. And the picture looked better than the analog version. So it IS possible.
post #1009 of 3683 Old 05-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So it IS possible.
I've been doing that for years with my one remaining SD TV using composite cable. I had continued using an SD STB but then realized I was missing the ability to watch shows on HD-only channels when I was in that room, as I'm paying for the HD tier and have two other HDTVs.

I remember when I went to the Charter office and the CSR made a point of asking me "now this is for a third HDTV, right?" I just said yes to avoid the discussion. I prefer seeing movies in their OAR too, so that's a plus when they're on one of the HD channels as well.

post #1010 of 3683 Old 05-18-2011, 07:24 PM

Charter,

I am in Opelousas, LA (70570) and I am looking for when Charter will light up on demand. It gets frustrating when Charter promotes this service but its not available here. I think the commercials come out of Slidell, LA.

So, when will we get this service? I know it was in 2011, but do you have a month?

Greg
post #1011 of 3683 Old 05-19-2011, 12:05 AM

I see a lot of requests in this thread to add HD channels for various markets. Can you take a request for removing one? This week they added the Hallmark HD channel to the Rochester Minnesota Charter system. As far as I can tell that network contains little or no HD programming as its line-up is filled with old TV shows that aren't available in HD. Any other HD channel has to be a better use of bandwith than this (hey how about ABC Family? At least it has some original programming that is in HD).
post #1012 of 3683 Old 05-20-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtogMuncher View Post

I see a lot of requests in this thread to add HD channels for various markets. Can you take a request for removing one? This week they added the Hallmark HD channel to the Rochester Minnesota Charter system. As far as I can tell that network contains little or no HD programming as its line-up is filled with old TV shows that aren't available in HD. Any other HD channel has to be a better use of bandwith than this (hey how about ABC Family? At least it has some original programming that is in HD).

I'm betting that Hallmark HD was a throw in with another HD Channel. I'm guessing they got the channel for close to nothing to add in the HD teir.

It all has to do with the price they're spending and how many HD options they say they have.

That being said I was pretty happy when the last 2 local channels showed up in HD. I think their is only about 7 SD channels that I have showing up on my Channel List.

Charter Guy if you are wondering those that I have listed that I would like to see in HD are

E!
Spike
Disney XD
ABC Family
G4
GSN
BBC America (This is actually Digital but I would like to see it in HD)
WGN
post #1013 of 3683 Old 05-20-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtogMuncher View Post

Good Morning,

We don't keep a list for removal but can pass the feedback along. Was there anything else we could assist with?

Thanks,

Dylan
post #1014 of 3683 Old 05-20-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick2020 View Post

I'm betting that Hallmark HD was a throw in with another HD Channel. I'm guessing they got the channel for close to nothing to add in the HD teir.

It all has to do with the price they're spending and how many HD options they say they have.

That being said I was pretty happy when the last 2 local channels showed up in HD. I think their is only about 7 SD channels that I have showing up on my Channel List.

Charter Guy if you are wondering those that I have listed that I would like to see in HD are

E!
Spike
Disney XD
ABC Family
G4
GSN
BBC America (This is actually Digital but I would like to see it in HD)
WGN

Good Morning,

We can definitely pass the requests along Did you have any other questions we could help with?

Thanks,

Dylan
post #1015 of 3683 Old 05-20-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

We had to pull the channels due to technical issues however we do still plan on releasing them. We do not currently have an ETA but they are still slated for release. We are hoping for another push of channels later this year which would include them.

Did you have any other questions?

Thanks,

Dylan

How is it going on repairing the "technical issues" for the release of CNNHD and HLNHD?
When will the next push of channels occur, before or after summer? :-)

Thanks,
Brad
post #1016 of 3683 Old 05-20-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityBrad View Post

How is it going on repairing the "technical issues" for the release of CNNHD and HLNHD?
When will the next push of channels occur, before or after summer? :-)

Thanks,
Brad

Good Afternoon,

We are still working on resolving the issues we ran into in adding the previous channels. Currently we do not have a date slated for the next round but are working on it and will advise just as soon as we get the go ahead

Was there anything else we could assist with?

Thanks,

Dylan
post #1017 of 3683 Old 05-20-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonesouth View Post

Charter,

I am in Opelousas, LA (70570) and I am looking for when Charter will light up on demand. It gets frustrating when Charter promotes this service but its not available here. I think the commercials come out of Slidell, LA.

So, when will we get this service? I know it was in 2011, but do you have a month?

Greg

Good evening Greg,

I'm showing that VOD is active in that zip code. We can take a look to make sure your account has the correct codes for reception. Please pm the name and phone number on the account.

-George
post #1018 of 3683 Old 05-22-2011, 11:42 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

Good Afternoon,

We are still working on resolving the issues we ran into in adding the previous channels. Currently we do not have a date slated for the next round but are working on it and will advise just as soon as we get the go ahead

Was there anything else we could assist with?

Dylan-

I'd just like to point out the large number of folks on here who have requested WGN in HD. I don't know why Charter doesn't carry it (I don't think any of Charter's systems do), but it is a very popular channel here in the Midwest. It's really one of the last channels that Charter doesn't have in HD here in Madison, WI that I really wish we had -- the last round of channel additions means we have almost all of the extended basic channels in HD (except for CNN, HLN, TCM, Weather, Cartoon, TV Land, G4, GSN, Soap, ION and Flix) and many of the digital view tier channels. Considering it's on the basic (not even extended basic) tier, I would imagine this isn't a very pricey channel. Very happy to see that Charter is catching up on the HD channel count, but I really, really wish you guys would pull the trigger and add WGN HD. There are a lot of Cubs and Sox games on there that would be nice to have in HD for the many transplanted Chicagoans/FIBs here in Madison. Aside from baseball, WGN America's lineup has gotten a lot better over the last few years -- it was horrible a few years ago ("Webster" reruns!!) but they've added a lot of great shows, like "How I Met Your Mother," "30 Rock" (coming this fall), "Entourage," "Curb Your Enthusiasm," and others.

Also, to the posters who think that you have to get rid of the analog lineup to expand the HD lineup, that's just not true. Both Charter and Time Warner Cable have shown that with Switched Digital Video (SDV) you can deploy a large HD lineup without eliminating the analog lineup. Madison has 70 analog channels here in Madison, but thanks to SDV, Charter has been able to roll out dozens of new HD channels over the last few months.

I for one am glad to see Charter has kept the analog lineup -- it allows me to have a couple extra TVs with cable TV without having to rent a box for each of them.
post #1019 of 3683 Old 05-22-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgundy View Post

Dylan-

I'd just like to point out the large number of folks on here who have requested WGN in HD. I don't know why Charter doesn't carry it (I don't think any of Charter's systems do), but it is a very popular channel here in the Midwest. It's really one of the last channels that Charter doesn't have in HD here in Madison, WI that I really wish we had -- the last round of channel additions means we have almost all of the extended basic channels in HD (except for CNN, HLN, TCM, Weather, Cartoon, TV Land, G4, GSN, Soap, ION and Flix) and many of the digital view tier channels. Considering it's on the basic (not even extended basic) tier, I would imagine this isn't a very pricey channel. Very happy to see that Charter is catching up on the HD channel count, but I really, really wish you guys would pull the trigger and add WGN HD. There are a lot of Cubs and Sox games on there that would be nice to have in HD for the many transplanted Chicagoans/FIBs here in Madison. Aside from baseball, WGN America's lineup has gotten a lot better over the last few years -- it was horrible a few years ago ("Webster" reruns!!) but they've added a lot of great shows, like "How I Met Your Mother," "30 Rock" (coming this fall), "Entourage," "Curb Your Enthusiasm," and others.

Also, to the posters who think that you have to get rid of the analog lineup to expand the HD lineup, that's just not true. Both Charter and Time Warner Cable have shown that with Switched Digital Video (SDV) you can deploy a large HD lineup without eliminating the analog lineup. Madison has 70 analog channels here in Madison, but thanks to SDV, Charter has been able to roll out dozens of new HD channels over the last few months.

I for one am glad to see Charter has kept the analog lineup -- it allows me to have a couple extra TVs with cable TV without having to rent a box for each of them.

Good afternoon!

Dylan is out of the office today but we'll be happy to help you.

You make a very strong point Thank you for your interest in WGN America HD and for posting your thoughts. We work very hard to meet the needs of our subscribers and take their comments and feedback into consideration when planning additional HD programming.

We have forwarded your request to the local group for consideration and requested they provide any additional information available regarding HD channel additions at this time. We'll follow up with you as soon as we receive a reply.

Thank you,
Steve
post #1020 of 3683 Old 05-22-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgundy View Post

Dylan-

We received a reply from our local contact and unfortunately at this time WGN-America HD is not currently in the works to be added. Also, there is no additional information available regarding future HD additions.

They did note however that your feedback and request have been recorded for future consideration.

Do you have any other questions for us?

Thanks once again for your comments, have a great day!

Thank you,
Steve
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page