1Likes

post #151 of 3628 Old 07-21-2009, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by biswas View Post

Charter has been making strides in West Michigan lately as well. They added Fox Sports Detroit HD about 6 weeks ago, and I got a letter in the mail stating that on September 12th they will be adding MHD, StarzHD, and ESPN2HD. This will bring our total to 17 HD channels.

Also they have made adjustments to their QAM frequency distribution in regards to HD. In my area they have made adjustments that make it so there are no longer 3 HD channels on any QAM frequency. The max is now 2 per QAM, everything was 3 per QAM before that. This equates to a really nice upgrade in our HD PQ, and it is noticeable.

Wouldnt mind hearing from other Charter subs around the country as to what recent and future HD additions they are aware of.
DIRECTSTARTV.COM

Received flyer in the mail yesterday, they are adding here (Rochester Minnesota) FOX News HD, CNN HD, and Lifetime HD on 8/18, bringing the total HD channels available at around 40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 3628 Old 07-21-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

I'll assume that you don't subscribe to Charter HD service and have enjoyed viewing those two channels clear QAM until now.

While I'm no Charter apologist by any stretch of the imagination, you should consider yourself lucky to have gotten any non-network HD clear-QAM in the past. Except due to oversight,very few cablecos provide anything more than network HD channels via clear-QAM. The channels you mentioned are part of the HD tier. For me, $5/month HD tier + $5/month HD stb (or $2/month cablecard). There are MANY other non-premium channels that are encrypted QAM.

I would prefer Charter improve the quality of their existing HD channels instead of adding more.

Nope, i have the basic HD tier service and using a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR Box. I get the basic HD package both ESPN's, Discovery channels, History, A&E, Food, HGTV, all your basic HD channels except for the 2 i mentioned that I now no longer get. (Palladia/Universal).

R.I.P. HD DVD 2006-2008
post #153 of 3628 Old 07-22-2009, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5.1 View Post

Nope, i have the basic HD tier service and using a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR Box. I get the basic HD package both ESPN's, Discovery channels, History, A&E, Food, HGTV, all your basic HD channels except for the 2 i mentioned that I now no longer get. (Palladia/Universal).

I stand corrected; sorry for the incorrect assumption. I think I may understand now. I had forgotten that Charter recently changed how its HD channels are subscribed. If a subscribed SD channel has a companion HD channel, then Charter includes that HD channel in the subscription and is viewable with a HD stb or cablecard QAM tuner.

You subscribe to Expanded Basic with an HD stb, so you only receive HD channels that are companions to the expanded basic tier.

The HD Only channels, like Palladia, Universal, HDNet, etc. are not premiums, but are in the HD Ultra View tier, which costs extra.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #154 of 3628 Old 07-22-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:

I stand corrected; sorry for the incorrect assumption. I think I may understand now. I had forgotten that Charter recently changed how its HD channels are subscribed. If a subscribed SD channel has a companion HD channel, then Charter includes that HD channel in the subscription and is viewable with a HD stb or cablecard QAM tuner.

You subscribe to Expanded Basic with an HD stb, so you only receive HD channels that are companions to the expanded basic tier.

The HD Only channels, like Palladia, Universal, HDNet, etc. are not premiums, but are in the HD Ultra View tier, which costs extra.

okay thank you. Just a little frustrating to learn one of my fave channels I will have to pay extra for now!

R.I.P. HD DVD 2006-2008
post #155 of 3628 Old 07-22-2009, 11:44 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

This is correct. You beat me to it.

George
post #156 of 3628 Old 07-22-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkid168 View Post

Hi,

I live in the city of Rosemead, CA a suburb in Los Angeles, CA. I used to have FSN HD as a part-time channel in my area on channel 774 that would only show content when a live sporting event involving some of the local teams such as the Lakers, Dodgers, Clippers, Angels occurs. Charter carries both FS West and FS Prime Ticket in SD in my area. Recently, Charter changed the part-time FSN HD channel into FS West HD showing content produced by FS West 24/7. Therefore, sporting events on Prime Ticket are no longer shown on FSN HD as it had been in the past. As a fan of the Dodgers, I am upset at this change because the Dodgers are usually televised on Prime Ticket and I am stuck with watching my favorite baseball team in SD. Before, I was able to at least watch most of their games in HD on FSN HD but not anymore. What's up with the change? Does this mean that I will be receiving FS Prime Ticket in HD on a separate channel sometime in the near future? I called Charter, spoke to rep regarding this issue and I interacted with another Charter rep through online chat but none of them seems to have a clue. Thanks.

I'm working with local marketing to get an answer for you.

George
post #157 of 3628 Old 07-26-2009, 06:04 PM

I've got Charter HDTV, and I've got a few problems with it. Certain HD Channels don't come in (and it figures, they're all the ones I watch the most). In particular, FX HD, TBS HD, Discovery HD, etc. Discovery HD worked for about the first 2 days I had the new cable box (I've had it for probably a month or so now), and the other two haven't worked since I got it. I've tried hard resets and everything, to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas?

Act II: Patents Of Nobility (The Turn)
post #158 of 3628 Old 07-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGNeo View Post

I've got Charter HDTV, and I've got a few problems with it. Certain HD Channels don't come in (and it figures, they're all the ones I watch the most). In particular, FX HD, TBS HD, Discovery HD, etc. Discovery HD worked for about the first 2 days I had the new cable box (I've had it for probably a month or so now), and the other two haven't worked since I got it. I've tried hard resets and everything, to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas?

Call Charter. Either your subscription is messed up or the box is.

You mention "the other two"...what are those? HD stb?

-t
post #159 of 3628 Old 07-27-2009, 10:41 AM

Any idea whether or not the Big10 Network alt. feeds will be added this year, IIRC we were told last year that they would be added down the road.
post #160 of 3628 Old 07-27-2009, 12:13 PM

So far I like Charter, just wish my HD-DVR had a bigger hard disk. I have to record most things in SD so I don't run out of space. Too bad I cant hook up an external ESata drive.
post #161 of 3628 Old 07-27-2009, 12:16 PM

oh and multiroom viewing of the DVR would be great (i have 2 HD-DVRs)
post #162 of 3628 Old 07-28-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkid168 View Post

Hi,

I live in the city of Rosemead, CA a suburb in Los Angeles, CA. I used to have FSN HD as a part-time channel in my area on channel 774 that would only show content when a live sporting event involving some of the local teams such as the Lakers, Dodgers, Clippers, Angels occurs. Charter carries both FS West and FS Prime Ticket in SD in my area. Recently, Charter changed the part-time FSN HD channel into FS West HD showing content produced by FS West 24/7. Therefore, sporting events on Prime Ticket are no longer shown on FSN HD as it had been in the past. As a fan of the Dodgers, I am upset at this change because the Dodgers are usually televised on Prime Ticket and I am stuck with watching my favorite baseball team in SD. Before, I was able to at least watch most of their games in HD on FSN HD but not anymore. What's up with the change? Does this mean that I will be receiving FS Prime Ticket in HD on a separate channel sometime in the near future? I called Charter, spoke to rep regarding this issue and I interacted with another Charter rep through online chat but none of them seems to have a clue. Thanks.

This is a network change.

Fox has split the channel into two seperate HD Channels.

FSN West High Definition
Prime Ticket High Definition

We will be adding Fox Sports Network Prime Ticket but it will not be until Q4 of 2009 or the beginning part of Q1 2010.

George
post #163 of 3628 Old 07-28-2009, 07:53 PM

Umatter2Chater, hope you see this on this forum.

If I watch the analog feed on our channel 99 TV Guide channel, we get a upcoming programs crawl showing the channels vertically and about 2 hours horizontally.

If I use the all digital feed, the crawl is gone but the program material is still there. This drive my wife crazy as she preferes (did it for years) looking ahead that way rather than pushing buttons on the remote to scan the future programming.

Why is this and it would seem that they would want it on the digital as well, but I guess inorder to see the digital feed you need the cable box, so maybe they are trying to encourage the use of the digital programmng guide.

It was thought it would be restored, but it has not and it has been nearly a year now.
post #164 of 3628 Old 07-29-2009, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

....If I use the all digital feed, the crawl is gone but the program material is still there....I guess inorder to see the digital feed you need the cable box, so maybe they are trying to encourage the use of the digital programmng guide.....

Hit the Nail on the Head $$

That being said, IMHO, the remote driven guide is much easier to use than waiting for the scrolling information on the channel based guide, by a wide margin.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #165 of 3628 Old 07-29-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

Umatter2Chater, hope you see this on this forum.

If I watch the analog feed on our channel 99 TV Guide channel, we get a upcoming programs crawl showing the channels vertically and about 2 hours horizontally.

If I use the all digital feed, the crawl is gone but the program material is still there. This drive my wife crazy as she preferes (did it for years) looking ahead that way rather than pushing buttons on the remote to scan the future programming.

Why is this and it would seem that they would want it on the digital as well, but I guess inorder to see the digital feed you need the cable box, so maybe they are trying to encourage the use of the digital programmng guide.

It was thought it would be restored, but it has not and it has been nearly a year now.

The reason that the guide does not have the scroll with the set top box is indeed because Charter would prefer that the customer use the interactive guide feature of the box. Because the TV Guide channel occupies a channel slot on the cable lineup it was decided to have two versions, one without the scroll for our DCT users (and the interactive guide feature) and one with the scroll to help our analog customer's with programming.

George
post #166 of 3628 Old 07-29-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGNeo View Post

Anyone have any ideas?

Good afternoon,

Please send me the following via PM so we can take a look:

Name:
Phone Number on Account:
Contact Number:
Best Time To Call:
Email:
Address:

George
post #167 of 3628 Old 07-29-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings1914 View Post

Any idea whether or not the Big10 Network alt. feeds will be added this year, IIRC we were told last year that they would be added down the road.

Yes, we will be doing that in the MI market.
post #168 of 3628 Old 07-29-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:

Hit the Nail on the Head $$

That being said, IMHO, the remote driven guide is much easier to use than waiting for the scrolling information on the channel based guide, by a wide margin.

More advertisements on the interactive guide channel. However, wife still prefers the old way and she is not the only one. I do not see why it cannot be on both feeds, and the uptodate users will still use the interactive guide.
post #169 of 3628 Old 08-04-2009, 02:53 PM

Any news on charter getting the NFL network and more HD channels coming to Wisconsin?
post #170 of 3628 Old 08-04-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMAN 101 View Post

Any news on charter getting the NFL network and more HD channels coming to Wisconsin?

We are currently reviewing the latest proposal from the NFL for NFL Network for all of our markets.

We're are adding channels in WI now. The dates and channels depend on your specific market. Please PM me the following and I can get the information for you.

Name:
Phone Number on Account:
Contact Number:
Best Time To Call:
Email:
Address:

George
post #171 of 3628 Old 08-04-2009, 10:32 PM

I've got Charter here in Madison, WI. They just added four new HD channels, and I use a mcard with my Tivo HD. When I tune to these new channels it locks up the Tivo or reboots it entirely. I've never seen anything like it. Charter has been flawless with all their other HD channels since. For the time being, I removed the four channels from my guide. All the other HD channels are working fine.

Any ideas what might be causing this?
post #172 of 3628 Old 08-16-2009, 06:55 AM

Hey UMatter2Charter anything new regarding adding either NFL Network or NBA TV ?
post #173 of 3628 Old 08-17-2009, 10:19 AM

I'm a bit new to AVSForum, but have been an avid reader for a year or so.
I got a new tv, (Toshiba Regza 46XV648U) and our HD DVR gave me problems like crazy. It wouldn't change channels using the remote, (the one that came with the DVR from charter, or my Harmony 880). I moved the DVR off the tv stand, and put it face down on the floor, and it works just fine. I had an old Samsung tube hdtv in the living room, and that worked just fine. I do rent, so I don't want to be re-cabling the whole house. I do however know the people who lived there before I do, and he said he had the same problem with his Pioneer plasma. In googling the problems, and calling charter, I received 2 new remotes, and they replaced the DVR once.
I found online that somebody had the same problem, and they bought a monster power conditioner, and it seemed to fix their problem. Does anybody here have an idea as to if that would actually fix the problem, or if there could be something else to do?

Thanks!
post #174 of 3628 Old 08-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejanitor7430 View Post

I'm a bit new to AVSForum, but have been an avid reader for a year or so.
I got a new tv, (Toshiba Regza 46XV648U) and our HD DVR gave me problems like crazy. It wouldn't change channels using the remote, (the one that came with the DVR from charter, or my Harmony 880).

It sounds like IR interference from the Plasma. Plasma's are known to cause this. There really isn't a whole lot you can do other than trying to move the box away from the television. It's best to try moving it around to different locations and find the spot that doesn't exhibit any issues. It certainly isn't the fault of the cable box so replacing it is most likely not going to help your issue.
post #175 of 3628 Old 08-17-2009, 01:00 PM

rrainwater,
Its not a plasma, its a 1080p 120hz lcd, but that's what I had figured. I was just wondering if anybody had any smart ideas like wrapping it in tinfoil
post #176 of 3628 Old 08-17-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumreader View Post

Hey UMatter2Charter anything new regarding adding either NFL Network or NBA TV ?

Unfortunately not.

George
post #177 of 3628 Old 08-27-2009, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Regarding QVC SD Being Injected into the HD Tier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

We are abiding by current contractual agreements. We are not contracted to offer this channel in HD at this time. This channel is not part of any current HD Tier.

George

It may not be part of the HD Tier but it certainly has been placed smack dab in the middle of the HD Tier. Semantics And the inconvenience that this places on your subscribers is ignored?

post #178 of 3628 Old 08-28-2009, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

It may not be part of the HD Tier but it certainly has been placed smack dab in the middle of the HD Tier. Semantics And the inconvenience that this places on your subscribers is ignored?

I have to agree. This is a pretty dumb move especially if it's not in HD!
There aren't enough free channels to put QVC into that you had to put it in the middle of the HD tier?

-t
post #179 of 3628 Old 08-28-2009, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I agree also. I'll bet there's some lawyers involved in this one. "contractual agreements"
post #180 of 3628 Old 08-28-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:

I fail to see the inconvenience. Sure, it's a pretty silly "contractual agreement", but I don't get what the big deal is. I skip over it just like I skip over the premium movie channels that I don't subscribe to.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page