1Likes

Old 08-28-2009, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagoona View Post

I fail to see the inconvenience. Sure, it's a pretty silly "contractual agreement", but I don't get what the big deal is. I skip over it just like I skip over the premium movie channels that I don't subscribe to.

For once I'll defend charter!

Having it there means nothing. If it really, truly disturbs your existence, you can setup a favorite channels list and exclude it.

We HAVE to do that here, because HDNet is hilariously enough not under the 'HD' category, and would otherwise never show up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

Regarding QVC SD Being Injected into the HD Tier
It may not be part of the HD Tier but it certainly has been placed smack dab in the middle of the HD Tier. Semantics And the inconvenience that this places on your subscribers is ignored?

Quote:

I fail to see the inconvenience. Sure, it's a pretty silly "contractual agreement", but I don't get what the big deal is. I skip over it just like I skip over the premium movie channels that I don't subscribe to.

The inconvenience is this: Most hdtvs take a few seconds to resync between hd and sd inputs and vice versa. Therefore, when stepping through the HD channels, two resyncs must take place as you pass this single SD channel embedded within the HD tier. The contractual agreement is a way for QVC to get more viewers stumbling across their crap-for-sale channel. They recognize that many viewers no longer surf the SD networks, where QVC usually resides, and this is a way for them to regain those viewers. Unlike most channels, Charter doesn't pay to carry QVC; QVC pays Charter. $$$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwer View Post

For once I'll defend charter!

Having it there means nothing. If it really, truly disturbs your existence, you can setup a favorite channels list and exclude it.

We HAVE to do that here, because HDNet is hilariously enough not under the 'HD' category, and would otherwise never show up.

I'm not sure how you equate inconvenience with disturbing ones existence. And using a favorite channels list is just more inconvenience. My subscription to Charter costs about $145/month and at that price, I expect zero inconvenience.

Defending Charter? You're not defending as much as you're stating that it just doesn't bother you personally. To each his own. Everyone watches tv with a little different technique, don't we. And I got my techique down and everything, and I don't be ticklin' or nothing.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-28-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:

The inconvenience is this: Most hdtvs take a few seconds to resync between hd and sd inputs and vice versa. Therefore, when stepping through the HD channels, two resyncs must take place as you pass this single SD channel embedded within the HD tier. The contractual agreement is a way for QVC to get more viewers stumbling across their crap-for-sale channel. They recognize that many viewers no longer surf the SD networks, where QVC usually resides, and this is a way for them to regain those viewers. Unlike most channels, Charter doesn't pay to carry QVC; QVC pays Charter. $$$$$$

Ah, I see. I have my STB configured to output 1080i all the time so there is no resyncing between HD and SD channels. I rarely channel surf though, I just use the guide, but I do see how it would pose an annoying inconvenience. I wouldn't say that Charter is the one to blame though, the fault is with QVC.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, I see. I have my STB configured to output 1080i all the time.....

I've tried that but I MUCH rather the non-linear zoom/upconversion of my Sony over the ugly horizontal STRETCH upconversion available from the Charter Motorola stb.
Quote:

..... I wouldn't say that Charter is the one to blame though, the fault is with QVC

They both signed the contract. QVC likely included the provision in the contract and Charter, not caring about the impact on its subscribers, accepted it.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-29-2009, 12:23 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

Hello everyone! My name is George and I'm a member of the Charter Communications Umatter2Charter Social Media team. ... We're here to listen, we're ready to help when needed...

I haven't been checking this thread, so instead of complaining yet again to our local office (and getting nowhere), I'll try this. If you look back at my post from April (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...3&postcount=80), you'll see that subscribers here in the Denton, TX market are *still* waiting for HD channels that users in Fort Worth, TX received back in January. Eight months on, and we are still waiting.

Because we here in Denton consistently get ignored by Charter for upgrades (we didn't go HD for more than two years after Fort Worth), I missed the end of Battlestar Galactica in HD, missed the latest season of Burn Notice in HD, am missing the current season of Eureka in HD, and am missing broadcasts of F1 races in widescreen. To be honest, if our apartment complex were capable of being wired for FioS, I would have changed by now.

Is there any way to find out if we're *ever* getting these channels? (SciFi HD, USA HD, Speed HD, etc.)

You stole a TV from me! I saw it on TV!
Old 08-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Liked: 14
Good afternoon, I've forwarded your question to our local marketing director. I should have an answer for you early next week.

George
Old 08-30-2009, 08:32 PM

When can Hadley, MA Charter customers expect to get USA HD and CNN HD?

Just moved to a town that only gets Charter from a town that had Comcast. Very disappointed so far.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier View Post

I haven't been checking this thread, so instead of complaining yet again to our local office (and getting nowhere), I'll try this. If you look back at my post from April (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...3&postcount=80), you'll see that subscribers here in the Denton, TX market are *still* waiting for HD channels that users in Fort Worth, TX received back in January. Eight months on, and we are still waiting.

Because we here in Denton consistently get ignored by Charter for upgrades (we didn't go HD for more than two years after Fort Worth), I missed the end of Battlestar Galactica in HD, missed the latest season of Burn Notice in HD, am missing the current season of Eureka in HD, and am missing broadcasts of F1 races in widescreen. To be honest, if our apartment complex were capable of being wired for FioS, I would have changed by now.

Is there any way to find out if we're *ever* getting these channels? (SciFi HD, USA HD, Speed HD, etc.)

I just spoke with the technical operations manager responsible for the Denton market. We currently have two franchises in Denton. Most of the Denton market has the larger number of channels and requires a digital box for anything over basic cable. They used the additional bandwidth recovered from those expanded channels to add more HD and other programming. The local colleges there didn't want to change their franchise agreements to require boxes for expanded, so they in turn get fewer channels, but don't require a box for expanded service... thus fewer digital and HD programming. Unfortunately the rest of the customers in that franchise also receive less programming.

George
Old 09-02-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:

I just spoke with the technical operations manager responsible for the Denton market. We currently have two franchises in Denton. Most of the Denton market has the larger number of channels and requires a digital box for anything over basic cable. They used the additional bandwidth recovered from those expanded channels to add more HD and other programming. The local colleges there didn't want to change their franchise agreements to require boxes for expanded, so they in turn get fewer channels, but don't require a box for expanded service... thus fewer digital and HD programming. Unfortunately the rest of the customers in that franchise also receive less programming.

George

This issue and the discussion (which system I'm under, what channels we receive) is so specific to this market, I'll take it off the thread and just go to PM's.

You stole a TV from me! I saw it on TV!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:55 AM

Hi all. I live in Minden NV (I think this would be Reno, NV area for Charter), just bought an HDTV. I currently only get the basic channel line-up from Charter (plus internet).

I wonder if I should get any HD packages from Charter. Can anyone here comment on the quality of HD line-up in Reno area, as well as the picture quality?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitripr View Post

Hi all. I live in Minden NV (I think this would be Reno, NV area for Charter), just bought an HDTV. I currently only get the basic channel line-up from Charter (plus internet).

I wonder if I should get any HD packages from Charter. Can anyone here comment on the quality of HD line-up in Reno area, as well as the picture quality?

Thanks!

If your new HDTV has an integrated QAM tuner, you can very likely view the local network HD channels carried on your Charter system, as they should be unencrypted. If your set has a QAM tuner, try a digital scan.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:

If your new HDTV has an integrated QAM tuner, you can very likely view the local network HD channels carried on your Charter system, as they should be unencrypted. If your set has a QAM tuner, try a digital scan.

The TV is Panny 54g10. Looks like it has QAM tuner (at least according to some sites, funny that Panny doesn't mention that in their official specs). It arrives tomorrow, I guess we'll see then. Thanks!

If anyone else have any other comments, please pitch in . Thanks!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:22 AM

I just got charter and I got a few question-My area is 91801 next to los angeles.

Why is prime ticket,versus,MLB network, not in hd?

How come its lacking so far behind dish and direct tv on the hd channels?

When can i see some improvements?

why does the hd channels switch from 720 to 1080i can I Just keep it at 1080i instead of switching and seeing go blank with red lines
Old 09-11-2009, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute1twoday View Post

I just got charter and I got a few question-My area is 91801 next to los angeles.

why does the hd channels switch from 720 to 1080i can I Just keep it at 1080i instead of switching and seeing go blank with red lines

.....Some areas of Socal and central coast has prime ticket in hd and some don't. Mine got added in 93422 in July. You can try e-mailing UMatter2charter for HD updates in your specific area.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute1twoday View Post

1. We do not hold current agreements with those channels to offer HD in your area. However I do know that MLB HD and Prime HD will be added in the 4th Qtr, We do not have a firm date on this yet.

2. They use mpeg-4 encoding technology. We currently use mpeg-2 technology but are preparing to convert our markets to Switched Digital Video(some already are).

3. See #1

4. Are you connected directly from the outlet to your tv or do you use a box?

George
Old 09-11-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:

2. They use mpeg-4 encoding technology. We currently use mpeg-2 technology but are preparing to convert our markets to Switched Digital Video(some already are).

Is there any plan to start reducing the amount of bandwidth wasted on analog channels by going to ADS (or just making them digital and dropping the analog channel), and if so, will it happen even in markets that aren't slated to get SDV for a while?
Old 09-12-2009, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1. We do not hold current agreements with those channels to offer HD in your area. However I do know that MLB HD and Prime HD will be added in the 4th Qtr, We do not have a firm date on this yet.

3. See #1

4. Are you connected directly from the outlet to your tv or do you use a box?

George

George,
What does #2 mean for the average subscriber?
What will I see?
thanks,
-t
Old 09-14-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwer View Post

Is there any plan to start reducing the amount of bandwidth wasted on analog channels by going to ADS (or just making them digital and dropping the analog channel), and if so, will it happen even in markets that aren't slated to get SDV for a while?

I haven't heard anything regarding plans to implement ADS but I will double check during our next conference call.

George
Old 09-14-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknoguy View Post

George,
What does #2 mean for the average subscriber?
What will I see?
thanks,
-t

SDV experience is essentially seamless for all customers who do not have a CableCARD or TiVo device. Charter CableCARD customers in SDV areas must have a Charter Digital receiver or a tuning adapter if you use a third party CableCARD device in order to receive the full spectrum of digitally encrypted channels in SDV areas. This will free up bandwidth to add more HD channels.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

SDV experience is essentially seamless for all customers who do not have a CableCARD or TiVo device. Charter CableCARD customers in SDV areas must have a Charter Digital receiver or a tuning adapter if you use a third party CableCARD device in order to receive the full spectrum of digitally encrypted channels in SDV areas. This will free up bandwidth to add more HD channels.

Is there any news on when SC will be getting SDV?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

SDV ....will free up bandwidth to add more HD channels.

And I hope this new found bandwidth will also be used to reduce the number of HD channels to a maximum of two per carrier.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:01 PM

Any updates in Michigan 48130 or 49009?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitripr View Post

The TV is Panny 54g10. Looks like it has QAM tuner (at least according to some sites, funny that Panny doesn't mention that in their official specs). It arrives tomorrow, I guess we'll see then. Thanks!

If anyone else have any other comments, please pitch in . Thanks!

I am in Carson City and have a 42" Vizio, while the image is good on the HD channels that fact of the matter is that Charter currently offers 17 HD channels, of which 7 are the normal OTA channels from the area. For the package we have, HD, movies, digital expanded, we pay over $120 a month. To me this seems like a complete waste as most of the stuff we watch is in HD yet little to nothing good is played on those channels. Funny thing is that with E* or D* we can get over 200 digital channels and 80 - 100 HD channels for close to $80/month right now. I think that there is definitely a good reason why Charter is in Chapter 11 right now, they are losing the war (BADLY) to providers that may not have as consistent of service but they have customers that would rather deal with the occasional outtage with more HD content.

Just my 2cents as I am up for promo renewal with Charter and will definitely be looking at another, much cheaper service.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

Is there any news on when SC will be getting SDV?

We just launched SDV in the Ashville,NC market today. I'd estimate that the Greenville market will be converted sometime within the next 6 to 8 months, maybe sooner.

George
Old 09-15-2009, 12:42 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

SDV experience is essentially seamless for all customers who do not have a CableCARD or TiVo device.

This will free up bandwidth to add more HD channels.

This was apparently implemented on the Newtown, CT system back in February, unless something was put off and not reported. To the best of my knowledge, not a single HD channel has been added in the seven months since.

George, any idea what they have in store for Q4 yet up here? Thanks.

http://www.dpuc.state.ct.us/DPUCUndo...a?OpenDocument
Old 09-17-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws192 View Post

This was apparently implemented on the Newtown, CT system back in February, unless something was put off and not reported. To the best of my knowledge, not a single HD channel has been added in the seven months since.

George, any idea what they have in store for Q4 yet up here? Thanks.

http://www.dpuc.state.ct.us/DPUCUndo...a?OpenDocument

We will progressively be adding 17 new HD channels starting on October 20th and continuing until November 10th. Unfortunately I can't release the actual channels yet due to pending contractual agreements but we should have a confirmed list a few weeks before the launch. The channels will be launched on the Oxford Headend/Chicopee Headend and our CT Headends.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:20 PM

Its nice having some official corp responses form Charter these days as before all you would get is mis-information and wrong dates from Phone reps assuming they even knew what you were asking about.

Any word on the St Louis area with SDV and/or more HD Channels?.. I am really hating not having FX HD right now with the new Season of Sons of Anarchy and so far Ondemand has not turned up any HD episodes as it has done in the past. Also I am really hating that Charter had to waste the bandwidth/time/effort of placing QVC right in the middle of the HD channels but nothing useful was added to the lineup.

At least on the Moxi I can just delete the QVC channel, but I don't think the normal boxes allow you to do so.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings1914 View Post

Any updates in Michigan 48130 or 49009?

Yes,
We'll be adding the following 6 HD channels in MI on or around 12/1/09. These changes are for areas that are all digital.

Speed HD
fx HD
Fox News HD
National Geographic HD
MLB HD
USA HD

George
Old 09-17-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yes,
We'll be adding the following 6 HD channels in MI on or around 12/1/09. These changes are for areas that are all digital.

George

What are the "following 6 HD channels"?
Old 09-17-2009, 03:49 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

We will progressively be adding 17 new HD channels starting on October 20th and continuing until November 10th. Unfortunately I can't release the actual channels yet due to pending contractual agreements but we should have a confirmed list a few weeks before the launch. The channels will be launched on the Oxford Headend/Chicopee Headend and our CT Headends.

That'll suffice for the time being knowing they're coming in a month. Thank you!