post #91 of 283 Old 10-22-2007, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

No they don't. I've never seen ABC screw up their feed to the affiliates. I hope you mean that your local ABC affiliate is the one screwing up. There is a difference.

That's a common mis-understanding. What people often blame a network for is often someone not paying attention in master control.

A couple of years ago I got to tour two of our local stations and was curious what the phrase "flip the switch" meant with regard to why HD programming was so inconsistent, especially at the start of a program, or coming out of a commercial. I was shown the actual switch.

Yep, there it was. An actual toggle switch that an actually person had to actually flip when the HD feed came through. No flip, no HD. That simple. It explained a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 283 Old 10-22-2007, 08:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

That's a common mis-understanding. What people often blame a network for is often someone not paying attention in master control.

A lot of posters also just say ABC, CBS, etc., when they are really talking about their local affiliate. Unfortunately, with this medium, we don't necessarily know that, so it has to pointed out. The networks can screw up. It has happened.

Quote:

Yep, there it was. An actual toggle switch that an actually person had to actually flip when the HD feed came through. No flip, no HD. That simple. It explained a lot.

That is a cheap station. The ones that do it right have it set up so that when master control switches to net, it routes the network SD analog to the analog transmitter and the network HD digital to the digital transmitter. Yes, they have an override, since no network affiliate in my city has the ability to put weather warnings directly onto the HD video (the PBS affiliate can and does). Since Fox uses the splicer system, all affiliates have auto switching (with manual override). As far as I can tell, all of the local affiliates have auto switching. That said, the local NBC affiliate will do their own upconvert for network SD programming, so sometimes master control does forget to turn off the override. I asked why and was told that sometimes the NBC HD feed doesn't have upconverted SD programming.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #93 of 283 Old 10-22-2007, 08:08 AM

I and my wife didnt like the Beth character at all, til this last episode. The Chemistry and acting is getting better ALL around. This show has teeth!!

The people complaining aout plot holes? Doesnt seem to matter on huge block buster Academy Award winning movies!

Most everyone LOVED the Departed, my wife and HATED it! It was FULL of holes like how some guy who worked his teen years as a mob runner could go to the police academy AND have said mobster come to his graduation and then go on to be promoted over and over again and then placed in an organized crime task force????

WTF!!

On top of the fact that the writer/producer whatever must have been absolutely fascinated with or has never gotten fellatio, since about 20 minutes of dialogue ran to "Suck my D*ck" amd "Co*ksucker".

I cant help but wonder when originality became a bad thing? yes there are some problems in this show, but plot? Come on its a fictional TV drama, if you cant forgive a few holes and suspend your disbelief for like PART 0f 40 minutes, how do you enjoy ANYTHING?

This is one of the first vamp shows that ISNT a complete ripoff or rehash of old vamp shows!!!

this is likely to be the best vamp show on tv in history, give it a shot.

Someone who truly loves others speaks the truth, not just what they want to hear.
post #94 of 283 Old 10-22-2007, 08:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtroitPunk View Post

this is likely to be the best vamp show on tv in history, give it a shot.

You didn't like Angel?

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #95 of 283 Old 10-22-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I
This is one of the first vamp shows that ISNT a complete ripoff or rehash of old vamp shows!!!

Actually, that is one of the better elements....the idea that he is a "real" vampire instead of what the "fictitious" ones are.
post #96 of 283 Old 10-22-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

You didn't like Angel?

Well, in all honesty, I didnt really give it a try. the one time I tried to watch recently he was like a marionette or something and it was just too silly.

Plus I normally dont liek spin off shows. Just my opinion apparently as they keep on doing them.

Someone who truly loves others speaks the truth, not just what they want to hear.
post #97 of 283 Old 10-22-2007, 07:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well, in all honesty, I didnt really give it a try. the one time I tried to watch recently he was like a marionette or something and it was just too silly.

Oh my goodness, an Angel classic. If you've never really watched the series and jumped right into that one, it would seem silly. Angel is best watched starting with Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, in order to get background. You only need to see the episodes that have Angel in them, before the spinoff occurred and then start watching from the beginning.

Same goes for Buffy, you really need to watch it from episode 1.

Quote:

Plus I normally dont like spin off shows. Just my opinion apparently as they keep on doing them.

There have been excellent spinoff shows over the decades. To dismiss a show just because it is a spinoff is not being fair. There are originals that have sucked. So just because it is a spinoff doesn't make it automatically bad, nor does making a show an original automatically make it good.

Mr. Video

post #98 of 283 Old 10-22-2007, 10:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:

Plus I normally dont liek spin off shows. Just my opinion apparently as they keep on doing them.

You haven't been watching the right ones, then. Without spin-offs we wouldn't have:

- The Jeffersons
- The Honeymooners
- Fraiser
- The Andy Griffith Show
- The Facts of Life
- Emergency!
- Absolutely Fabulous
- Saved by the Bell
- NCIS
- Law and Order SVU
- The Muppet Show
- Star Trek: The Next Generation
- The Simpsons
- The Twilight Zone

...and those are just some of the more popular shows.

post #99 of 283 Old 10-23-2007, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

You haven't been watching the right ones, then. Without spin-offs we wouldn't have:

- The Jeffersons
- The Honeymooners
- Fraiser
- The Andy Griffith Show
- The Facts of Life
- Emergency!
- Absolutely Fabulous
- Saved by the Bell
- NCIS
- Law and Order SVU
- The Muppet Show
- Star Trek: The Next Generation
- The Simpsons
- The Twilight Zone

...and those are just some of the more popular shows.

And how would society have ever made it without Saved by the Bell!
post #100 of 283 Old 10-23-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroguy View Post

And how would society have ever made it without Saved by the Bell!

The point is, a lot of people liked that show. Granted, it shows there's really no accounting for taste among the average TV viewer....

post #101 of 283 Old 10-27-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Last night's episode was more like Moonlighting that Moonlight. Romance is in bloom, story marginally ok, fairly entertaining...I'll keep watching. Wife likes the guy now...I'm starting to appreciate Sylvia.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #102 of 283 Old 10-28-2007, 04:33 AM

I guess I'll be different from everyone else and say that I like the show. The only thing that I don't like about it is that Mick is constantly getting his butt kicked. They need to let him win one every now and then.
post #103 of 283 Old 10-28-2007, 09:55 AM

I am a fan of Dark Shadows and Forever Knight, and while a HUGE Whedon fan (love Firefly!) I could never get in to Buffy nor Angel though I did try.

That said, while the pilot for Moonlight was weak, I am really getting into this show. The main leads are strong actors (ok, the ex-wife is a bit one dimensional, but I think that's the writing so far.) Sophia's character Beth is suffering from script neglect as well, but that's improving thankfully. She was wonderful as Isolde in Tristan and Isolde (currently airing on HBO - next showing on 10.30), so I don't think it's her fault, and the chemistry is definitely improving.

I also like the new take on the lore - why not? Nothing is written in stone and this gives the show a lot of possibilities. While there's something to be said of being a "vampire purist" - which ones do you stick to, since every story has different rules?

I do hope they do more back story and develop both the Mick and Josef characters and add more main vampire characters to the plotline. Some female that both Josef and Mick have a history with? So many things are possible.

And while it does remind me of Forever Knight and Highlander, it's original enough on it's own for me to enjoy for what it is. I'm having fun, and it's nice to see this genre back.
post #104 of 283 Old 10-28-2007, 06:00 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Got around to watching this last week's episode. Anybody else notice the effect (fix?) where they were brightening up the actors faces in several scenes? It stood out the most in one scene where they were walking down a hallway.

I can't decide if it was something they were fixing (i.e., what they shot was too dark) or a deliberate effect?

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #105 of 283 Old 10-28-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAF View Post

Got around to watching this last week's episode. Anybody else notice the effect (fix?) where they were brightening up the actors faces in several scenes? It stood out the most in one scene where they were walking down a hallway.

I can't decide if it was something they were fixing (i.e., what they shot was too dark) or a deliberate effect?

I noticed in some scenes on Beth's lips the red lipstick was kind of .. sparkling like it shouldn't like the red was bleeding through too much. This was mostly during the scene at buzzwire when she was talking to her editor I believe.

Overall the PQ on the show is pretty fantastic in my opinion, some stuff is out of focus at times but I'm not sure if that's intentional or not at this point yet. It's usually only for a second and at the start of a scene but not all of them.

Cyrl
post #106 of 283 Old 10-28-2007, 06:08 PM

actually I think there was the sparkle in a hallway scene as well. I'll rewatch when I go home maybe, if Elder scrolls 4 doesn't consume my evening again.

Cyrl
post #107 of 283 Old 11-03-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Another entertaining show last night...never be mistaken for real drama, but then again it's not supposed to be. Great escapist entertainment...

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #108 of 283 Old 11-03-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrl View Post

Overall the PQ on the show is pretty fantastic in my opinion, some stuff is out of focus at times but I'm not sure if that's intentional or not at this point yet. It's usually only for a second and at the start of a scene but not all of them.

Normally I'd agree with you. However last night's (11/2/07) show had a lot of pixilization in the scene at the club....probably the worst I've seen in a long time. However, the rest of the show was fine.
post #109 of 283 Old 11-03-2007, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Another entertaining show last night...never be mistaken for real drama, but then again it's not supposed to be. Great escapist entertainment...

...agreed...and more variations on the classic mythology: vampire blood as a new recreational drug, and silver as an immobilizer.
post #110 of 283 Old 11-03-2007, 03:16 PM

After getting his butt handed to him in most of the other fights, he really did a number on Lola or whatever, especially for her age.
post #111 of 283 Old 11-04-2007, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_o_00 View Post

After getting his butt handed to him in most of the other fights, he really did a number on Lola or whatever, especially for her age.

Yeah, if the vamp mythology states that the older v's are stronger, faster, more powerful than the younger v's, then the verse should allow for young punks like Mick to either attain the same power or get it, ala, Lestat, by being born of an old "super" vamp or drinking the magic smoke blood of an old timer. Done before, but if Mick's gonna be a vamp enforcer, it's not realistic for him to keep getting lucky. Should have died last night.

post #112 of 283 Old 11-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Nobody wants to mention how smokin hot the co-star of the show was in this last episode?
post #113 of 283 Old 11-06-2007, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I think the writers should explore the story line of Beth getting hooked on the black crystal
post #114 of 283 Old 11-07-2007, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I know this show has taken some jabs, but the last episode was pretty entertaining. They sorta ripped off the premise from "I Come in Peace," but still fun stuff. Great music throughout the episode as well.
post #115 of 283 Old 11-07-2007, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought the preseason trailers sucked, didn't like the pilot much, but I'm very pleansantly surprised at how much better it's getting. The show gets recorded, but we watch it right away for the pure escapist fun. Moonlight, Journeyman and Life are this years winners for us. I hope they stick.

post #116 of 283 Old 11-10-2007, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
I have been sticking with the show and let me tell you I'm glad I have. The show has improved with leaps and bounds over the past few weeks as we learn more about Nick and his life as a Vampire and before. This Friday's episode had wonderful writing and plot development.

What's really sad is that I just don't see this show lasting more than one season. I hope it does, but I have my doubts.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #117 of 283 Old 11-11-2007, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I only have one nit about Friday's show. Covering the tattoo with makeup was fine but how come Nick couldn't smell her for what she was? We've been led to believe that the sniff test was a foolproof way of determining if the person is a vampire. Perhaps there's a special antiperspirant for Vamps.
post #118 of 283 Old 11-11-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

I only have one nit about Friday's show. Covering the tattoo with makeup was fine but how come Nick couldn't smell her for what she was? We've been led to believe that the sniff test was a foolproof way of determining if the person is a vampire. Perhaps there's a special antiperspirant for Vamps.

I agree Josef could not tell either which seemed wierd too !!
post #119 of 283 Old 11-11-2007, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffyrose View Post

I agree Josef could not tell either which seemed wierd too !!

Joseph said she was human, but he hasn't always been completely honest with Nick...

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #120 of 283 Old 11-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

Perhaps she has found a cure for vampirism.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page