Moonlight (CBS) - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > HDTV > HDTV Programming > Moonlight (CBS)

HDTV Programming

TheWinstonWolf's Avatar TheWinstonWolf
10:44 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 283
09-06-2007 | Posts: 377
Joined: May 2007
What are people's feelings on this show? The clips i've seen have looked solid, and I liked the lead guy (alex o' loughlin i think) from when he was on the shield.
vfxproducer's Avatar vfxproducer
11:35 PM Liked: 96
post #2 of 283
09-06-2007 | Posts: 1,989
Joined: Mar 2002
I'll pass. This show has every indication of being a train wreck. They threw everything away from the pilot except the lead actor. New cast, new location, new concept, new show runners, new name, everything. The network commited to basically a ripoff of "Forever Knight" without a cast locked or a visionary driving the show. That can't possibly lead to quality television.
ENDContra's Avatar ENDContra
04:54 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 283
09-07-2007 | Posts: 975
Joined: Mar 2004
^I was thinking more of a ripoff of Angel, but thats just me...the whole vampire trying to fight what he is and do good, and being in love with a mortal woman (ok, Buffy technically isnt mortal either). Sadly, Ill probably end up watching the first episode just to see what its about since Im a sucker for a genre show, but I agree it doesnt sound too promising.
TheWinstonWolf's Avatar TheWinstonWolf
03:08 PM Liked: 10
post #4 of 283
09-10-2007 | Posts: 377
Joined: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I'll pass. This show has every indication of being a train wreck. They threw everything away from the pilot except the lead actor. New cast, new location, new concept, new show runners, new name, everything. The network commited to basically a ripoff of "Forever Knight" without a cast locked or a visionary driving the show. That can't possibly lead to quality television.

The producers have said that while greenwalt did have to leave the show, he left a pretty big imprint on the show, and it wasn't like he left over the ubiquitous "creative differences" but that he has some personal issues to deal with. I think this series has hope.
Paradox-SJ's Avatar Paradox-SJ
04:26 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 283
09-10-2007 | Posts: 357
Joined: Mar 2003
It won't see past 10 epi's...

Lets start a pool?
petergaryr's Avatar petergaryr
04:32 PM Liked: 12
post #6 of 283
09-10-2007 | Posts: 6,817
Joined: Nov 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWinstonWolf View Post

The producers have said that while greenwalt did have to leave the show, he left a pretty big imprint on the show, and it wasn't like he left over the ubiquitous "creative differences" but that he has some personal issues to deal with. I think this series has hope.

I always give these type of shows at least one viewing. In some cases it pays off, such as when Invasion a couple of seasons back did and Threshold didn't.
vfxproducer's Avatar vfxproducer
05:05 PM Liked: 96
post #7 of 283
09-10-2007 | Posts: 1,989
Joined: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWinstonWolf View Post

The producers have said that while greenwalt did have to leave the show, he left a pretty big imprint on the show, and it wasn't like he left over the ubiquitous "creative differences" but that he has some personal issues to deal with. I think this series has hope.

According to friends on the crew, it was *absolutely* about creative differences. And by the way, they are now on their 4th showrunner before airing a single episode. Yikes.
TheWinstonWolf's Avatar TheWinstonWolf
06:41 PM Liked: 10
post #8 of 283
09-11-2007 | Posts: 377
Joined: May 2007
Well thats kind of unfortunate if true. I still think it looks promising. I'll be watching on the 28th.
lacombo's Avatar lacombo
01:36 AM Liked: 10
post #9 of 283
09-12-2007 | Posts: 1,036
Joined: Nov 2006
just hope it's sill decent. Pilot was nothing special but was good enough to watch a few more eps of.
HDMe2's Avatar HDMe2
11:26 AM Liked: 132
post #10 of 283
09-13-2007 | Posts: 5,238
Joined: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDContra View Post

^I was thinking more of a ripoff of Angel, but thats just me...

To be fair, some aspects of Angel were a ripoff of Forever Knight. Perhaps not consciously on the part of Joss Whedon, but definately some influence there.

Though also to be fair, if you go back far enough and break down small enough, most things are a ripoff of something else.
NetworkTV's Avatar NetworkTV
04:33 PM Liked: 532
post #11 of 283
09-13-2007 | Posts: 15,755
Joined: Oct 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

To be fair, some aspects of Angel were a ripoff of Forever Knight. Perhaps not consciously on the part of Joss Whedon, but definately some influence there.

Though also to be fair, if you go back far enough and break down small enough, most things are a ripoff of something else.

Like Dark Shadows...
TheWinstonWolf's Avatar TheWinstonWolf
06:46 AM Liked: 10
post #12 of 283
09-14-2007 | Posts: 377
Joined: May 2007
Yeah the ripoff criticism for any show (unless its completely blatant, which this is not) is really silly. There are rarely truly original ideas and thoughts that see the light of day. Moonlight might look a little like angel or forever knight, or whatever, but if the show is good..what does that matter?
HDMe2's Avatar HDMe2
03:00 PM Liked: 132
post #13 of 283
09-14-2007 | Posts: 5,238
Joined: May 2007
I agree.. The only time I complain about a "ripoff" is when it is inferior. Angel did some things different and some other things better than Forever Knight, so I was ok with comparisons.

A lot of people don't realize, as another example, that the Incredible Hulk premise (aside from the Marvel comic character of course) was largely based upon the Fugitive... and in a weirder twist... one of the writers on Hulk later modified one of his scripts and turned it in again for an episode of Walker Texas Ranger!
archiguy's Avatar archiguy
03:24 PM Liked: 788
post #14 of 283
09-14-2007 | Posts: 18,483
Joined: Mar 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

A lot of people don't realize, as another example, that the Incredible Hulk premise (aside from the Marvel comic character of course) was largely based upon the Fugitive... and in a weirder twist... one of the writers on Hulk later modified one of his scripts and turned it in again for an episode of Walker Texas Ranger!

That is ironic on so many levels, not least of which is how it speaks to the derivative nature of so many TV dramas. They're pretty much all interchangeable.
TheWinstonWolf's Avatar TheWinstonWolf
04:37 PM Liked: 10
post #15 of 283
09-18-2007 | Posts: 377
Joined: May 2007
Agreed. Which is exactly why I'm giving moonlight a try next friday.
Rakesh.S's Avatar Rakesh.S
05:40 PM Liked: 12
post #16 of 283
09-18-2007 | Posts: 4,076
Joined: Nov 2002
the sad part is...15 million people will probably tune in *just because* it's on CBS.

I wish Fox and ABC got this kind of sampling for all their new shows....some of them might actually have a chance.
TheWinstonWolf's Avatar TheWinstonWolf
03:16 PM Liked: 10
post #17 of 283
09-22-2007 | Posts: 377
Joined: May 2007
not normally a huge cbs fan, but moonlight looks better than the majority of what fox and nbc are coming into the season with.
vfxproducer's Avatar vfxproducer
03:34 PM Liked: 96
post #18 of 283
09-22-2007 | Posts: 1,989
Joined: Mar 2002
For a show that hasn't aired yet, you seem to be spending a lot of time shilling for it.
LouDiamonds's Avatar LouDiamonds
01:09 PM Liked: 10
post #19 of 283
09-26-2007 | Posts: 7
Joined: Aug 2007
yeah this show looks kind of interesting...im not sure.
jjohns's Avatar jjohns
01:11 PM Liked: 10
post #20 of 283
09-26-2007 | Posts: 266
Joined: Apr 2007
Aren't Bruno and Cybill Shepherd looking a little wrinkled by now?
Josh Z's Avatar Josh Z
08:18 AM Liked: 464
post #21 of 283
09-29-2007 | Posts: 20,441
Joined: Jul 2002
Nice PQ and AQ. Bad, bad, bad show. Just awful.
CPanther95's Avatar CPanther95
08:23 AM Liked: 73
post #22 of 283
09-29-2007 | Posts: 23,797
Joined: Oct 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

That is ironic on so many levels, not least of which is how it speaks to the derivative nature of so many TV dramas. They're pretty much all interchangeable.

"Mannix with fangs" ?
RockyF's Avatar RockyF
08:49 AM Liked: 10
post #23 of 283
09-29-2007 | Posts: 2,000
Joined: May 2002
Okay, so sue me, but I enjoyed it. What can I say, I like vampire shows. Not one review I've read mentioned Kevin Weisman (Marshall from Alias) is in it.
Daryl L's Avatar Daryl L
09:01 AM Liked: 12
post #24 of 283
09-29-2007 | Posts: 2,426
Joined: Jan 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF View Post

Okay, so sue me, but I enjoyed it. What can I say, I like vampire shows.

Same here. I found it fun and enteresting. I love vamp shows/movies also.
AAF's Avatar AAF
10:18 AM Liked: 11
post #25 of 283
09-29-2007 | Posts: 1,703
Joined: Feb 2005
Sophia Myles had a terrific turn on Doctor Who last year. She's very watchable.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan
11:36 AM Liked: 501
post #26 of 283
09-29-2007 | Posts: 28,672
Joined: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Nice PQ and AQ. Bad, bad, bad show. Just awful.

It does have very nice PQ/AQ, it has that typical CBS "polish" to it. The story itself is fairly blah, and I'm really not sure how I feel about the apparent possibility that the little girl he saved 30 years ago is now going to become a love interest, there's just something a little weird about that...

Given that there is literally no competition in it's time slot it will probably be around for at least 13 or so episodes.
CPanther95's Avatar CPanther95
12:50 PM Liked: 73
post #27 of 283
09-29-2007 | Posts: 23,797
Joined: Oct 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I'm really not sure how I feel about the apparent possibility that the little girl he saved 30 years ago is now going to become a love interest, there's just something a little weird about that...

Only if that was his intent when he saved her.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan
01:03 PM Liked: 501
post #28 of 283
09-29-2007 | Posts: 28,672
Joined: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Only if that was his intent when he saved her.


Roger Lococco's Avatar Roger Lococco
01:19 PM Liked: 25
post #29 of 283
09-29-2007 | Posts: 985
Joined: Nov 2005
the lead actor is completely wooden and charisma free, a vampire needs to have an intense screen presence.
petergaryr's Avatar petergaryr
07:35 PM Liked: 12
post #30 of 283
09-29-2007 | Posts: 6,817
Joined: Nov 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

"Mannix with fangs" ?


I just want to know if Veronica Mars knew that her boyfriend was a vampire?

Reply HDTV Programming

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3