USA v Brazil on ESPN2 in HD - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-09-2007, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jefbal99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 3,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nice to finally see US Soccer friendlies in HD. Boca scored for us on a corner by Donavon.

Top quality PQ

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
jefbal99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 09-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Member
 
donmesw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yeah, looked great. Too bad they gave up that PK late.
donmesw is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 09-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
TravelFan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Woodbridge, NJ
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nice picture, nice sound, but why can't ESPN do 2 things:

1- REMOVE that scoreboard! It was all over the players!
2- Get rid of Mr. O'Brien and Eric Wynalda! Allen Hopkins in place of Eric would be a start.

I am looking forward to many more US and Int'l matches in glorious HD!

Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list: BBC America HD, BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD and ESPN Deportes HD
I miss my Fox Deportes on Sports Pak!
TravelFan1 is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 09-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
roachxp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MILFORD, MA
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hopefully we have some CL games in HD this season leading upto Euro2008 which will be all HD.
roachxp is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 09-10-2007, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jefbal99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 3,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachxp View Post

Hopefully we have some CL games in HD this season leading upto Euro2008 which will be all HD.

They need a new feed provider to get HD games for the CL. I emailed espn last season and got a reply that the feed was only supplied in SD and the HD feeds were localized to the areas they were produced in.

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
jefbal99 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 09-10-2007, 09:08 AM
Newbie
 
LouDiamonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelFan1 View Post

Nice picture, nice sound, but why can't ESPN do 2 things:

1- REMOVE that scoreboard! It was all over the players!
2- Get rid of Mr. O'Brien and Eric Wynalda! Allen Hopkins in place of Eric would be a start.

I am looking forward to many more US and Int'l matches in glorious HD!

Unfortunately wynalda isn't going anywhere, but this is an improvement for ESPN...soccer is usually banished to the last truck they can find in the lot for the feed.
LouDiamonds is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 09-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Member
 
tec1271's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was actually at the game yesterday and Tivo'd for later viewing. I can't believe they put the scoreboard on the top. Was tough to see me shouting in the Red Army section!

The US squad actually looked very good vs a stacked Brasil team. If not for the self-goal and the PK, who knows...

gamertag: cosmo
tec1271 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 09-10-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDntheCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: newport news, Va.
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tec1271 View Post


The US squad actually looked very good vs a stacked Brasil team. If not for the self-goal and the PK, who knows...

and a competent/honest referee(unlike this one, who ignored an obvious penalty & later a handball by Lucio).

next time the USSF should insist on a CONMEBOL crew. I've concluded that CONCACAF officials are among the world's worst.

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
HDntheCity is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 09-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Senior Member
 
avNeophyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great game. The scoreboard on top and ticker on bottom really ruin the viewing experience. Thank goodness for HDNet.
avNeophyte is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 09-10-2007, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ReplayJanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 1,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The picture on ESPN2HD was fantastic. ESPN produced a different feed than what was sent out internationally (maybe Univision's feed went out). ESPN's cameras were on the opposite side of the field. They had plenty of cameras and the commentary wasn't so bad. If you guys complaining about the scoreboard and graphics think it was bad, try and think back to the last World Cup because that was worse than awful as I remember it.

the game itself was one of the better games I've seen in the past year. Plenty of scoring, technique, back and forth play, some controversy… it was all there. It wasn't played like a pre-season game at all! The US really came out firing on all cylinders, too. Team USA played a very good game, considering this was Brazil's top-notch A-team where even the subs were world class.
ReplayJanitor is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 09-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Member
 
sciolist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Soccer in HD is awesome. I only wish FSC and Setanta were in HD.

I thought the US played pretty well. We struggled in the middle of the pitch. Faberhaber SP? was solid, Bradley played well -- too bad about the PK at the end, Beasly looked average, and Donovan looked lost for much of the game. Convey as a sub was hopeless. The class of the team is Dempsy - this kid is going to be solid for years to come.

Brazil is Brazil, and always fun to watch - I only wish the score was the other way around.

But, oh yea - HD, it rocks
sciolist is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 09-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Member
 
sciolist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDntheCity View Post

and a competent/honest referee(unlike this one, who ignored an obvious penalty & later a handball by Lucio).

next time the USSF should insist on a CONMEBOL crew. I've concluded that CONCACAF officials are among the world's worst.


Did you watch any of the Copa America - CONMEBOL crews aren't much better. In fact, the state of refs is poor world wide. The EPL/BPL has its problems, the Itallian league has corruption issues, the last World Cup was a card fest. This needs to be addressed by FIFA and soon.

But, to keep this related to HD, at least calls, right or wrong, are clearer than ever.
sciolist is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 09-11-2007, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HDntheCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: newport news, Va.
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciolist View Post

Did you watch any of the Copa America - CONMEBOL crews aren't much better. In fact, the state of refs is poor world wide. The EPL/BPL has its problems, the Itallian league has corruption issues, the last World Cup was a card fest. This needs to be addressed by FIFA and soon.

But, to keep this related to HD, at least calls, right or wrong, are clearer than ever.

well actually I agree with both of your posts-a good fair rating of the game & the players' performance.

and the game looked stunning on ESPN2-HD. with large field sports like futbol & rugby if only we had native 1080p-bliss!! and yeah bring on FSC-HD!!!

there is a BBC S-F series(Torchwood) that's on both BBC America AND HDNet this fall. so maybe the Prem in HD is not too far behind....?

CONMEBOL does have some pretty dodgy refs-I should have said they seem, overall, to put their better ones in tournaments & hi-profile friendlies. I did watch the Copa & didn't see any real howlers. yeah the state of refs world-wide seems REAL questionable this year.

oh BTW it's Benny Feilhaber. kid's very good but apparently not getting much playing time at Derby right now-sadly, it showed.

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
HDntheCity is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 09-11-2007, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ReplayJanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 1,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciolist View Post

Soccer in HD is awesome. I only wish FSC and Setanta were in HD.

I thought the US played pretty well. We struggled in the middle of the pitch. Faberhaber SP? was solid, Bradley played well -- too bad about the PK at the end, Beasly looked average, and Donovan looked lost for much of the game. Convey as a sub was hopeless. The class of the team is Dempsy - this kid is going to be solid for years to come.

Brazil is Brazil, and always fun to watch - I only wish the score was the other way around.

But, oh yea - HD, it rocks

I'm sure FSC and Setanta will be HD in a few more years… whenever HD becomes the standard for all channels, which will be quite soon (it already is the standard for sports channels).
ReplayJanitor is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 09-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Senior Member
 
coug7669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: houston,tx,usa
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yall do know that the womens fifa world cup is in sd widescreen on espn and espn2 early mornings with usa repeats later. Live from china.
coug7669 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off