AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Cable Nielsen Notes
'Burn' heats up USA
By Rick Kissell, Variety

USA strengthened its standing as cable's top-rated network with Thursday's second-season debut of "Burn Notice," which topped its firstrun ABC and CBS competition in key demos.

"Burn Notice" sizzled as easily cable's top-rated program on a night when CBS saw a credible debut for canine competition "Greatest American Dog." One night later, the Eye delivered more solid but unspectacular numbers for the debut of drama "Flashpoint."

According to Nielsen nationals, "Burn Notice" averaged a hot 1.8 rating/6 share among adults 18-49 and 5.39 million viewers overall, a 20% gain in the demo and a 35% improvement in overall audience vs. its series debut of last summer.

"Burn" helped USA rank No. 2 in its 10 o'clock hour in key demos, besting CBS drama "Swingtown" (1.7/5 in 18-49, 5.28m) and ABC hospital news series "Hopkins" (1.5/5, 5.49m) and lagging only NBC's concluding hour of "Last Comic Standing" (2.1/7 in 18-49, 5.08m from 9 to 11 p.m.).

The 25-54 score for "Burn" (2.2/6) is the second best for a scripted cable series telecast in 2008, behind only the winter finale of USA's "Monk" in February (2.5/6). (TNT's "The Closer" figures to top them both, though, when it returns tonight.)

In addition to veteran hits "Monk" and "Psych," USA's hit series also include newbie "In Plain Sight," which continues to rack up good numbers on Sunday night.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1225 Old 07-14-2008, 12:42 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason10mm View Post

Anwar really needs to lay off the marathon running. I know it is hard for a mid 30s chick to make it in hollywood, but she either needs to go more buff or more rounded. The ultra-lean look just makes me worry about her health. Any who ever met a tan Irish girl?? :P

She's actually in her late 30s.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #93 of 1225 Old 07-14-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
here's GA, in her softer days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBHhSVJ_S6A

I much prefer her character in Burn Notice, but yeah, a few lbs won't hurt
post #94 of 1225 Old 07-14-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH View Post

She's actually in her late 30s.

Yep, DOB 4 February 1970, according to IMDb.
post #95 of 1225 Old 07-14-2008, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Yep, DOB 4 February 1970, according to IMDb.

February 4th? How about that; that's my b-day! Perhaps 'tis fate that I meet her and woo her with double cheese pizzas and milk shakes.
post #96 of 1225 Old 07-14-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

February 4th? How about that; that's my b-day! Perhaps 'tis fate that I meet her and woo her with double cheese pizzas and milk shakes.

Sorry bub, but you're missing that '1970' part by a margin. Here's the interesting thing. Last year at this time, you would've been way focused on Trish instead of Gabby. Gabby.....What kind of name is that for a hot chick, anyway? What, all the Ediths were taken?

Well, at least we know what to get you for your birthday.

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #97 of 1225 Old 07-15-2008, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

But she does need a little more meat on those bones. There's fit, and then there's borderline anorexic, and she looks like she's about to cross that line. Her bare midriff in that one scene had more rips than Mr. Universe. C'mon sweetie, a cheeseburger now and then won't kill ya'...

Of course, these are the kinds of comments that *really* help folks that may (or may not) have a body image problem. Nice job!
post #98 of 1225 Old 07-15-2008, 05:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Of course, these are the kinds of comments that *really* help folks that may (or may not) have a body image problem. Nice job!

Sure, glad to help. Please send canned goods and other edible items to the "Feed Fi Fund", Miami, FL. Because a smokin' bod is a terrible thing to see waste away.
post #99 of 1225 Old 07-15-2008, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerguy View Post

Good episode and I enjoyed it, but given the build-up to last year's season finale and Michael being stuck in the back of the truck, I was a bit disappointed that 15 minutes into the episode, we were back in Michael's apartment with the old gang again, and back to the same formula of them having to help someone. I mean, what was the whole point of the truck thing, anyway?

It did all get wrapped up pretty quick, didn't it?

I would have liked to see a little more tension there considering the build-up. Instead, it was just business as usual. At the very least, it would have been nice if Michael had to deal with the "client" alone, well out of his element, then get hime back to Miami for the reunion at the end of the episode.
post #100 of 1225 Old 07-15-2008, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Something tells me Gabby does NOT have a body image problem, since she has no problem wearing next to nothing.
post #101 of 1225 Old 07-15-2008, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Overall, I'd imagine that the emaciated figures too frequently showing up on television do far more harm to those that have body image issues.

With a bit more weight, she'd look better and healthier.
post #102 of 1225 Old 07-15-2008, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Overall, I'd imagine that the emaciated figures too frequently showing up on television do far more harm to those that have body image issues.

I'm just saying that all the commenting upon and making a "big deal" of it isn't really going to help either ... and would probably do even more damage ... If ya'll can't see that, then you failed Psych101 ...
post #103 of 1225 Old 07-16-2008, 05:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

... If ya'll can't see that, then you failed Psych101 ...

Heck, I don't even watch that show. But it's nice to see Dule Hill find work after 'The West Wing'. Also pretty sure he has no body image issues to work through, even though he played a "body man" on the aforementioned show.
post #104 of 1225 Old 07-16-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Har, Har ... har ... har.
post #105 of 1225 Old 07-16-2008, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

With a bit more weight, she'd look better and healthier.

Who cares if she's skinny? I'm skinny, too. I have a high metabolism. Heck, I'm wolfing down 250 calories worth of coffee cake right now - and just lifting it to my mouth is burning it off...

The fact is, if someone can't feel good about themselves because somebody else is thinner, or more beautiful, or taller or whatever, they need to grow up and get a backbone.

I got mercilessly picked on most of my life for being skinny. They picked on me more than the fat kids. Whatever. Those s**theads never mattered.

I grew up and made something of myself. Half of them never even left town - some never left home.

People are too worried about conforming to an image or trying to be popular. They never seem to see the bad side of "fitting in". Instead, they sacrifice everything that is meaningful about themselves to look and act like people who are famous for 15 minutes while they still look good.
post #106 of 1225 Old 07-16-2008, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

Well, at least we know what to get you for your birthday.

Hey, I've got a great suggestion! (only 6 months away; don't let it sneak up on ya'... )
post #107 of 1225 Old 07-16-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Who cares if she's skinny? I'm skinny, too. I have a high metabolism. Heck, I'm wolfing down 250 calories worth of coffee cake right now - and just lifting it to my mouth is burning it off...

The fact is, if someone can't feel good about themselves because somebody else is thinner, or more beautiful, or taller or whatever, they need to grow up and get a backbone.

I got mercilessly picked on most of my life for being skinny. They picked on me more than the fat kids. Whatever. Those s**theads never mattered.

I grew up and made something of myself. Half of them never even left town - some never left home.

People are too worried about conforming to an image or trying to be popular. They never seem to see the bad side of "fitting in". Instead, they sacrifice everything that is meaningful about themselves to look and act like people who are famous for 15 minutes while they still look good.

Next time you come to Charlotte, PM me. I'll buy you a cheeseburger.

Regarding Fi:
If that were her natural body type, then that's fine - but we've seen her in the past and it's apparent she's burned off every bit of fat possible.
post #108 of 1225 Old 07-16-2008, 07:12 PM

What's the big deal about Fiona's weight or her lacking weight ? .. She kicks ass, looks great, and is outstanding on Burn Notice ..
post #109 of 1225 Old 07-17-2008, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Michael pushing a Saab just shows GM's involvement by providing cars. Sam is driving a Cadillac. I'm sure the Charger will get blown up again for good.
post #110 of 1225 Old 07-17-2008, 08:03 PM

Tricia/Carla is the weakest link on the show easily. TPTB can hype her all they want but she is stinking up BN in the worst way !
post #111 of 1225 Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I thought that ep was better than the season premiere. They're clearly pushing the Michael/mom storyline. But it was cute, and believable. Liked the main story. And I think Carla is going to disappear for a few eps. From what I've read, don't really know.

Dedicated to keeping my 2 labs from chewing any of MY stuff.
post #112 of 1225 Old 07-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Is it a sign of age if you think a 38 year old woman is hot? It's not just Gabrielle Anwar, but Mary McCormack, Mary Louise Parker, etc.
post #113 of 1225 Old 07-18-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleAl View Post

Is it a sign of age if you think a 38 year old woman is hot? It's not just Gabrielle Anwar, but Mary McCormack, Mary Louise Parker, etc.

Not at all. Some women, like some wine, just get better with age.
post #114 of 1225 Old 07-18-2008, 10:56 AM

I liked this episode better than the premiere also. Though I gushed all over Trish's hotness previously, I'm wondering if she's seriously miscast here. She's not coming off all that menacing, not like she does in BSG as Head-Six. (I still think she's way hot, though.)

I like the Michael-Mom storyline and thought the counseling session was funny. It's nice to see Michael connecting more with his mom, though the old wounds are still showing. But it does seem natural that he'd warm up to his mom eventually.

One thing I didn't like is how easily Michael came into possession of the "intelligence" (i.e., the prototype of the card) that was laying out in the open like that. For one thing, if the counterfeiter was as good and careful as he was supposed to be, he wouldn't have left it lying around. Also, if Carla and co. are good enough to engineer Michael's burn notice, surely they would have been better at cleaning up -- not only leaving the prototype card there but also the dead body. Unless, they intentionally did that...

Okay, enough nitpicking. Good ep all around.
post #115 of 1225 Old 07-18-2008, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerguy View Post

I liked this episode better than the premiere also. Though I gushed all over Trish's hotness previously, I'm wondering if she's seriously miscast here. She's not coming off all that menacing, not like she does in BSG as Head-Six. (I still think she's way hot, though.)

I like the Michael-Mom storyline and thought the counseling session was funny. It's nice to see Michael connecting more with his mom, though the old wounds are still showing. But it does seem natural that he'd warm up to his mom eventually.

One thing I didn't like is how easily Michael came into possession of the "intelligence" (i.e., the prototype of the card) that was laying out in the open like that. For one thing, if the counterfeiter was as good and careful as he was supposed to be, he wouldn't have left it lying around. Also, if Carla and co. are good enough to engineer Michael's burn notice, surely they would have been better at cleaning up -- not only leaving the prototype card there but also the dead body. Unless, they intentionally did that...

Okay, enough nitpicking. Good ep all around.

It was a secured room. The bad guys were never in it.

They stuck a hose through a hole and pumped the gas in. Michael specifically said the gas wouldn't show up in trace - it would have looked like another, more natural cause of death - that is, until Michael shot his way into the room, of course.
post #116 of 1225 Old 07-18-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:

If someone doesn't find Gabrielle Anwar hot, they need to check their pulse, not their age.
post #117 of 1225 Old 07-18-2008, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think they are all incredibly hot. There are probably some young turks who think chasing Barbies is the ultimate experience, but a "Mature" (not old) woman in the above age group can really smoulder in ways the Chick-lets haven't. Isn't that part of the reason for the whole MILF movement?

post #118 of 1225 Old 07-18-2008, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh and BTW, I'd agree that last night's ep was a significant improvement over the premiere. Hope the trend continues.

And so far, I'm still finding Trish and her character bland. They should have kept LL from last season. At least she kept it interesting.

post #119 of 1225 Old 07-18-2008, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I like the ongoing story of how Sam, former SEAL, is SO whipped by his GF. Lots of funny reparte about his "lessons" and such. The writers are fleshing out the characters a bit more.

I think that Trisha is fine as Carla but she is much better as the several aspects of Six on BSG. Takes talent to play a 'toaster' convincingly.
post #120 of 1225 Old 07-19-2008, 05:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

I think that Trisha is fine as Carla but she is much better as the several aspects of Six on BSG. Takes talent to play a 'toaster' convincingly.

I agree with that. She's probably not "leading lady" material, but she can sure be a convincing character actor with the right role. She's been brilliant as Six. I'm not sure this one on BN is really right for her. It will be interesting to see her in her "featured" role to come on a series to be named later (she has a talent deal signed with FOX, I believe).
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page