Burn Notice on USA HD - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1225 Old 08-21-2008, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, i just wanted to go on record as voting tonight's Burn Notice as the most 'aesthetically pleasing' episode of the second season. I mean, isn't that the whole raison d'etre for placing it in Miami anyway?

Chance favors the prepared mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1225 Old 08-21-2008, 08:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

Well, i just wanted to go on record as voting tonight's Burn Notice as the most 'aesthetically pleasing' episode of the second season. I mean, isn't that the whole raison d'etre for placing it in Miami anyway?

Ha, that's too funny. As I was watching it I thought "it was a genius idea to change the setting to Miami. Easy access for international criminals and lots and lots of eye candy!"

Anyone else start thinking of The Usual Suspects tonight? When Michael was talking about if the devil is real he'd be called after Bruce Campbell's fake character and Michael doing his Kevin Spacey reveal at the end.

Good guest cast tonight as well. One of the guy's from The Unit and Haywire from Prison Break. I hope he becomes a recurring character.

post #183 of 1225 Old 08-22-2008, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Anyone else start thinking of The Usual Suspects tonight? When Michael was talking about if the devil is real he'd be called after Bruce Campbell's fake character and Michael doing his Kevin Spacey reveal at the end.

Yup Weston really Kaiser Sozed the bad guys and the eye candy best ever. In fact best episode so far IMNSHO.
post #184 of 1225 Old 09-12-2008, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Am I the only one still watching this show??

Its a little hard to believe that no one's posted here about last night's ep, which was probably the best of the season (not counting next week's season finale potential). We learned more about Michael, his former spy agency, what makes spies tick, his former DEADLY (partner/mentor?) played by Tim Matheson (a man who has parlayed a role in a sophmoric college flick into a Lifetime career), as well as some interesting info about his past and fami;ly, along with lots of Sambo & Fi.

If you're a BN fan, this one was a must see and will probably tie-in somehow with the finale next week.

post #185 of 1225 Old 09-12-2008, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

Some of us use DVR's ...

I'm still pondering the moral implications wrt Micheal's actions (or lack thereof.)

PS: As of Sat 9/13 12:57AM ET ... I still haven't viewed "Monk," "Psych" or SG:Atlantis either ... and I'm now two days behind on Letterman and Fergie ... but they are all waiting on the DVRs
post #186 of 1225 Old 09-13-2008, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:

Its a little hard to believe that no one's posted here about last night's ep, which was probably the best of the season (not counting next week's season finale potential). We learned more about Michael, his former spy agency, what makes spies tick, his former DEADLY (partner/mentor?) played by Tim Matheson (a man who has parlayed a role in a sophmoric college flick into a Lifetime career), as well as some interesting info about his past and fami;ly, along with lots of Sambo & Fi.

If you're a BN fan, this one was a must see and will probably tie-in somehow with the finale next week.

I love this show, too, and agree that last night's episode was outstanding. Michael's relationship with his mother gets more and more interesting. I particularly enjoyed Tim Matheson's character, although how old he looked made ME feel old. Matheson also directed the episode.
post #187 of 1225 Old 09-13-2008, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:

Well, in my case, my DVR randomly recorded a black screen for the entire time. I'm not sure why since everything else I recorded that night was fine.

So, I'm catching the re-air tonight.

BTW: speaking of that - if anyone missed any episodes for this season, back to back episodes from this season are running tonight leading up to the re-air of the last episode.
post #188 of 1225 Old 09-13-2008, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Well, in my case, my DVR randomly recorded a black screen for the entire time. I'm not sure why since everything else I recorded that night was fine.

It wouldn't be a DirecTV DVR would it? The HR21 I have does that at random times for seemingly no reason.
post #189 of 1225 Old 09-13-2008, 07:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Tim Matheson (a man who has parlayed a role in a sophmoric college flick into a Lifetime career)

Considering Matheson has 59 credits prior to Animal House per Imdb, that is quite an overstatement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

It wouldn't be a DirecTV DVR would it? The HR21 I have does that at random times for seemingly no reason.

Mine does it, too, but it's not completely random. Something in the software disables Tuner 2 (randomly), then it's a crap shoot as to which recordings use which tuner (and the ones on Tuner 2 are the blank ones). Reset fixes it. I just reset whenever I know there are two recordings at the same time coming up soon.
post #190 of 1225 Old 09-13-2008, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

...his former DEADLY (partner/mentor?) played by Tim Matheson (a man who has parlayed a role in a sophmoric college flick into a Lifetime career)...

Give the guy some credit - he also directed the episode.

Flicks? Here's my collection. And I've seen a lot, too.
post #191 of 1225 Old 09-13-2008, 11:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggo View Post

Considering Matheson has 59 credits prior to Animal House per Imdb, that is quite an overstatement.

Mine does it, too, but it's not completely random. Something in the software disables Tuner 2 (randomly), then it's a crap shoot as to which recordings use which tuner (and the ones on Tuner 2 are the blank ones). Reset fixes it. I just reset whenever I know there are two recordings at the same time coming up soon.

I'll have to remember that, sort of ridiculous though that it even happens, that DirecTV TiVo box can't come soon enough.
post #192 of 1225 Old 09-14-2008, 05:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Quote:

It's that whole chaos theory thing: you know, sometimes the genetically recreated dinosaur eats you, sometimes you hold still enough and it goes off and eats someone's lawyer...
post #193 of 1225 Old 09-14-2008, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually it was intended as sarcasm, because generally Tim Matheson usually seems to be playing.....'Tim Matheson'.

post #194 of 1225 Old 09-14-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

It's that whole chaos theory thing: you know, sometimes the genetically recreated dinosaur eats you, sometimes you hold still enough and it goes off and eats someone's lawyer...

I've come to think of this DVR as the "90%'er", it does everything right 90% of the time.
post #195 of 1225 Old 09-14-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Actually it was intended as sarcasm, because generally Tim Matheson usually seems to be playing.....'Tim Matheson'.

I agree. His many credits notwithstanding, without his Animal House credit, Matheson would be just one more aging pretty boy actor, but Animal House made him famous.
post #196 of 1225 Old 09-14-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Did Sam say "He's no Campbell" while commenting on some guys looks?
post #197 of 1225 Old 09-14-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoon View Post

That's what I heard.
post #198 of 1225 Old 09-14-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:

Nice little inside joke there. If anybody didn't catch that, Campbell was the name of Fiona's paramedic boyfriend. I admit I laughed but didn't really make the connection until later on in the show.
post #199 of 1225 Old 09-15-2008, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoon View Post

He definitely did, and if I recall correctly, I thought he made some kind of slight glance or subtle wink directly to the camera at the same time as well, but I'll have to go back and check.

post #200 of 1225 Old 09-15-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

lol, i missed that, Vintage Bruce Campbell.

I hope they continue to take advantage of that talent.
post #201 of 1225 Old 09-19-2008, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Knock! Knock! Knock!

Sound of creaking door and footsteps.

Hellooo. Helloooo? Is anybody home?? (echo)

(Jeez this is creepy). Is this the Burn Notice clubhouse?

Didn't anyone watch the season finale last night?

No love for this show anymore?

Too bad you missed the three-way with Fi, Sam & Campbell

Oh, C"mon now! SOMEONE MUST BE WATCHING THIS SHOW BESIDES ME

post #202 of 1225 Old 09-19-2008, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I hate to comment before I watch the episodes and I DVR/Delay everything so I haven't watched it yet, but I did notice the "To Be Continued" label while editing out the commercials. (so I may delay the viewing until it returns - I waited over a year with an episode of "The Dead Zone" because I Hate Continuations ) ("Heroes" does not count)

No one seems to be able to write a season end episode without a catastophic cliffhanger. One British series ended each season by killing everyone and then miraculously bring back the actors who signed on for the next season. (Blakes 7?) A good writer can wrap up storylines and provide an enticement for a return but I have not seen a good ender lately.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #203 of 1225 Old 09-19-2008, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 115
It wasn't the season finale. Like so many cable shows, the remaining season episodes will be aired this Winter.
post #204 of 1225 Old 09-19-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I continue to love Burn Notice, although I resented the cliffhanger ending which won't be concluded until, I believe, January.
post #205 of 1225 Old 09-19-2008, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I continue to love Burn Notice, although I resented the cliffhanger ending which won't be concluded until, I believe, January.

Yeah, I think that's what they announced. In any case I was glad they confirmed that it would be returning. I'm willing to forgive the cliffhanger since almost every damn show does it these days.

Well, not that it came as any surprise, but it looks like Michael and Fi will be hooking up again. I don't know whether it was the lighting or the make-op, but Trish looked kinda strange last night, almost a little like BSG's 'Gina'.

Maybe this will be the future for all TV. Alternating/rotating seasons of quality programs, rather than the usual summer dearth. I think I can live with that.

Chance favors the prepared mind.
post #206 of 1225 Old 09-19-2008, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Anyone catch Bruce's comment on Tricia's swimming: "She's a machine!"
post #207 of 1225 Old 09-19-2008, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

It wasn't the season finale. Like so many cable shows, the remaining season episodes will be aired this Winter.

Perhaps change end of season to end of Summer session in my previous comments.

My point was that it's possible to write episodes that transition to delayed continuation without cliffhanging. While a four to six month delay is common, I don't feel it's accurate to consider it the same "season". Yes, I know that's how they look at it, but I don't. I don't mind a "To Be Continued" every now and then when the followup is next week, but not next year.

Look at how concerned the Networks are about the shows that got interrupted by the writer's strike and their delayed returns: that's how I feel about a four month break in these Summer shows. I don't mind the break, I mind the strong-armed tactics to bring us back. Good writing can bring us back without resorting to blackmail.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #208 of 1225 Old 09-19-2008, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 418
I don't mind the cliffhanger when the show is as good as it is. It also means it won't clash with other shows next week.

Cliffhanger finales and splitting the two parter are pretty much TV law and have been for decades. Considering how long some of the gaps are I don't think 4 months is too long to wait. December flies by anyway.

Burn Notice is perhaps my favorite series this year closely followed by The Closer. Both are extremely consistent in quality and writing. I can't remember the last time I saw an episode that was poor. Even the weakest episodes are still well paced, acted and solid entertainment.

post #209 of 1225 Old 09-20-2008, 06:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 674
I got spoiled when I got see 3 episodes of this show, last summer's surprise guilty pleasure promoted to this season's season-pass, in HD during the Olympics when our TWC division briefly carried the USA-HD channel. But what TWC giveth, TWC soon taketh away and I just haven't been that geeked about watching the last 2 or 3 in SD. So, they sit on my DVR's massive near-terabyte drive awaiting a rainy day. And how often does it rain on this show? It's always sunny in Miami.
post #210 of 1225 Old 09-20-2008, 10:59 AM

Still love this show. It's one of the best I think.

If your HDTV isn't working properly, reverse the polarity of the neutron flow.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page